PDA

View Full Version : HOF -- Managers

dabvu2498
06-22-2006, 10:24 PM
There have been a couple threads bouncing around regarding the Hall of Fame and who should be in/out, so I thought I'd throw this out:

What recent managers should/will be elected to the Hall?

I came up with only three:

LaRussa (Dangit! I hate saying that... but it's true.)

Torre (It's inevitable.)

and maybe Bobby Cox (14 straight division flags is hard to ignore).

Is there anyone who disagrees or has others to add???

Also, do managers have to be elected by the Veterans committee or are they eligible for the writers vote?

edabbs44
06-22-2006, 10:27 PM
Torre's a lock but he got very, very lucky. He was nowhere near a HOF manager until he stumbled upon NY.

SteveJRogers
06-23-2006, 12:41 AM
They've always been the domain of whatever group is responsible for veterans. BBWAA just handles players.

You know, I'm really not sure now about LaRussa! If McGwire gets tainted by steroids, shouldn't it reckon the same should be said about LaRussa?

-He is a combined 5-12 in World Series games, and his only ring comes thanks two of the flattest WS games played since 1919! I mean the Giants all but packed it in after losing Game 3.

-Granted he has the same amount of total World Championships as Earl Weaver, but Weaver's teams were more consistant and ran into steamrollers in WS and ALCS, Weaver is more like Cox in getting a team to maintain a level for a long, long, long, long time.

Heres one to toss around, and he will be back, but despite the crap that was Tampa, how about Lou Piniella for the Hall?

Torre and Cox are locks. Recent vintage, probably Leyland, Davey Johnson...

Thats about all I can think of off hand