PDA

View Full Version : Buster Olney 'Angels ready to talk trade"

reds44
06-23-2006, 12:46 AM
He just said it on ESPN. So here is a team that is looking to dump. Is there anything in their pen that might interest us?

RedsMan3203
06-23-2006, 12:48 AM
Don't know bout the pen.... but... Ervin Santana if they are willing to part with him....

Pen Wise... Donnelly, Shields maybe even Romero... I know he is sucking this year.. But the last 2 years has had a sub 3.50 ERA with 57 and 74 innigs pitched.

Kc61
06-23-2006, 12:50 AM
Shields.

Mario-Rijo
06-23-2006, 12:57 AM
Possible targets:

Craig Wilson
Carlos Lee
Alfonso Soriano
Miguel Tejada

KronoRed
06-23-2006, 01:53 AM
We don't need those 4 guys ;)

cincinnati chili
06-23-2006, 03:30 AM
Shields.

Maybe the best non-closer bullpen arm in North America?

Not on a per-dollar basis, but he's quite good.

Guacarock
06-23-2006, 05:59 AM
Maybe the best non-closer bullpen arm in North America?

Not on a per-dollar basis, but he's quite good.

Shields is that good, but Donnelly is the Angels' reliever I would target. He's cheaper ($1 mill), not that far behind Shields, and still more than two years removed from free agency. Plus, for whatever reasons, he appears to be on the outs with the Angels' coaching staff. He's only seen action eight times since May 23, although he has lowered his ERA from 4.35 to 3.18 over that stretch of time. He's also recently been quoted practically begging for a trade.

Other than Donnelly, I'm intrigued by Angels' 1B prospect Casey Kotchman. His bout with mono slowed his development this year, and Morales has now eclipsed him as the Angels' preferred 1B candidate for the future, leading Kotchman to openly vent his frustration. But Kotchman is only 23. A lefty, he's capable when healthy of posting a high OBP, with potential 20-25 HR power. The only drawback in trying to trade for Kotchman? He has just begun his rehab, so a deal probably couldn't be worked out until later in July.

It goes without saying, SP Santana and SS prospect Aybar also could be sweet acquisitions for the Reds. Of course, either would cost us a frontline OF. Probably Kearns or Dunn, maybe Denorfia, although how many kids can the Angels reasonably expect to break in at the same time?

Whether we're only pursuing a dinky deal or a slobberknocker, Krivsky should definitely be talking with the Angels. They are among the few teams that might have quality pitchers to deal, as well as a bounty of promising prospects.

We're in need of both pitchers and quality prospects. It's going to be at least another season or two before all we require to put us over the top is the one strategic veteran arm or bat.

M2
06-23-2006, 10:11 AM
IMO, the Angels are a much more interesting trade partner as a seller than as a buyer. Santana's probably untouchable if the Halos are giving up on 2006. Yeah, Shields and Donnelly would be nice additions to the bullpen, but much as I'm enjoying the Reds run this season I haven't for one moment been under the impression the team is built to contend for a full season. So I wouldn't suggest overpaying for a bullpen arm at the moment (were I convinced the Reds were a better team, I would be willing to overpay).

Could the Reds do something radical like a Dunn package for Santana, Aybar and Mathis? That strikes me as an off-season type of deal. My guess is the Angels will be looking to move guys like Jeff Weaver, Garret Anderson and Orlando Cabrera if they're in "Let's Make a Deal" mode.

flyer85
06-23-2006, 10:18 AM
Im sure they trade Jeff Weaver :help:

Falls City Beer
06-23-2006, 10:34 AM
If the Reds are pulling the plug on this season, I'd recommend they go all out, then. As in, trade-Arroyo-all-out. There's no sense in getting sentimental.

I'd, however, make trades that help this season, and subsequent seasons.

M2
06-23-2006, 10:46 AM
If the Reds are pulling the plug on this season, I'd recommend they go all out, then. As in, trade-Arroyo-all-out. There's no sense in getting sentimental.

Sentimental schmentimental, if the Reds trade away Arroyo all it accomplishes is putting the team down another arm in an already thin rotation. I've got no interest in watching the team go backwards on that front.

Falls City Beer
06-23-2006, 10:49 AM
Sentimental schmentimental, if the Reds trade away Arroyo all it accomplishes is putting the team down another arm in an already thin rotation. I've got no interest in watching the team go backwards on that front.

Well, if they're raising the white flag, who besides a semi-worthless Austin Kearns (gee, who could have guessed that one?) and maybe Felipe Lopez is tradeable?

I want no part of trading the Reds best player, Adam Dunn.

The Reds are two bullpen arms and a starter from very real pennant contention. Get it done. And pimp the hell out of quickly rising "superstar" Homer Bailey to get it done.

Red Leader
06-23-2006, 10:57 AM
Well, if they're raising the white flag, who besides a semi-worthless Austin Kearns (gee, who could have guessed that one?) and maybe Felipe Lopez is tradeable?

Players they could trade that have some value to net good players / prospects:
1) Lopez
2) Denorfia
3) Kearns
4) Freel
5) Aurilia
Players they could trade that would net something of use (albeit probably further from major league ready):
1) LaRue
2) Valentin
3) Hatteberg
4) Milton
5) Griffey
6) Claussen (when healthy)
7) Weathers
8) minor leaguers

Unless Claussen comes back healthy and pitches well, I think he hurts us a lot. His ineffectiveness could not only result in the Reds not being able to move him, but probably Milton as well, unless we can get a major league ready starter in return in a trade or a trade for someone else, which is semi-doubtful.

At this point, I think it might be better to hold onto Griffey rather than trade him. I just don't see the return on him being very good, and his 10/5 rights make things more difficult even if you could put a decent deal together. Maybe next year, if he moves to a corner, he'll have more value.

registerthis
06-23-2006, 10:57 AM

I don't know that Dunn's outperformed Arroyo this year. Dunn's been very good, but Arroyo has really blown me away.

Kc61
06-23-2006, 11:11 AM
If you want to make a meaningful move, acquire Shields. The guy is a tremendous reliever. With Shields and Coffey at the end of the game, the bullpen would suddenly become a strength.

Then, with a few cheaper moves and good decisions in middle relief, you have something.

The Reds are in serious playoff contention right now. To stay there, they need at least one serious addition to the pen. Go for Shields.

M2
06-23-2006, 11:16 AM

My guess is that if Kearns gets dealt this summer, he'll be the best OF bat that changes uniforms.

Wily Mo was supposedly worthless too ... until he wasn't.

I don't recall MLB ever being this thin in the OF, so I think Kearns is a player a lot of other teams ought to be highly interested in acquiring.

As for what the Reds can trade, it still makes no sense to me to trade away a quality SP you've got locked in through 2008 when you still have a fairly large need to add starting pitching. To me, that's just blowing a new hole in the hull of the ship.

Falls City Beer
06-23-2006, 02:22 PM
Then you're not saying raise the white flag?

Because trading Kearns for one MLB ready pitcher and a minor leaguer won't hurt the Reds' chances of competing this season. Particularly when the odds are VERY high that Denorfia could come up and replicate Kearns's OPS with relative ease.

M2
06-23-2006, 02:49 PM
Then you're not saying raise the white flag?

Because trading Kearns for one MLB ready pitcher and a minor leaguer won't hurt the Reds' chances of competing this season. Particularly when the odds are VERY high that Denorfia could come up and replicate Kearns's OPS with relative ease.

I agree that trading Kearns is in no way a white-flag move, even if the pitcher(s) turn out to be a bit shy of MLB-ready. Same goes for Jr. or Freel. Trading Dunn would be a reorganization move.

Doc. Scott
06-23-2006, 03:07 PM
Shields is that good, but Donnelly is the Angels' reliever I would target. He's cheaper ($1 mill), not that far behind Shields, and still more than two years removed from free agency. Plus, for whatever reasons, he appears to be on the outs with the Angels' coaching staff. He's only seen action eight times since May 23, although he has lowered his ERA from 4.35 to 3.18 over that stretch of time. He's also recently been quoted practically begging for a trade.

If what you say is true, this is an ideal trade scenario. Here's the question: what do the Angels want for Donnelly? I'm guessing Shields would cost more, and I don't want to trade Joey Votto or whoever for a relief pitcher.

KronoRed
06-23-2006, 04:37 PM
I have a hard time seeing Krivsky pulling the plug after Bob made a big deal about winning now, I'm fearing a trade of the few prospects the Reds have for older bullpen help

paulrichjr
06-23-2006, 04:54 PM
I have a hard time seeing Krivsky pulling the plug after Bob made a big deal about winning now, I'm fearing a trade of the few prospects the Reds have for older bullpen help

Me too

Falls City Beer
06-23-2006, 06:19 PM

Maybe. But I'm guessing Krivsky probably realizes what kind of arms he needs to pick up the pieces of this shattered bullpen. And they're not of the 35 + year old variety. I honestly think he realizes this.

I'd press hard for one of the Angels' arms and for Armando Benitez, then I'd try to pick up a starter from the Rockies.

KronoRed
06-23-2006, 06:22 PM
Hopefully he can convince Casto to look to the future

Guacarock
06-25-2006, 04:57 AM
If what you say is true, this is an ideal trade scenario. Here's the question: what do the Angels want for Donnelly? I'm guessing Shields would cost more, and I don't want to trade Joey Votto or whoever for a relief pitcher.

I would offer the Angels these two options:

(A) Aurilia and a promising AA reliever for Donnelly and their utility IF McPherson, who plays 1B and 3B. Why it might work? Aurilia is making $1.3, Donnelly $1 million, McPherson the league minimum, so their salaries are close to a wash. The Angels IF is having trouble hitting southpaws. Their 2B Kennedy has a .161 batting average against LH pitching, their 3B Figgins is hitting .216. Aurilia can plug that gap. He also is signed for two years, so in 2007, he could also be useful to the Angels as a DH. They currently have Salmon to DH against southpaws, but Salmon is 37, so who knows if he'll want to come back next year or if the Angels will want him back.

With Aurilia gone, we use the LH McPherson (.266 BA, 6 HR in 109 AB) to caddy for Encarnacion at 3B and Hatteberg at 1B, Castro/Olmedo for MI utility. We'll lose RH power off the bench, unless Larue can regain his stroke or we can flip him a RH bat.

(B) Freel straight-up for Donnelly and their fallen former 1B stud Kotchman. Why it might work? Again, salaries aren't a factor, as Freel is making the same as Aurilia, $1.3 million. Freel gives the Angels an added benefit over Aurilia, as he could also help them in the OF, where they have beaucoup issues owing to Erstad's injury-related absences, the age of Salmon and middling performance by Rivera.

What's in it for us? Besides picking up Donnelly, we free up a roster spot for Denorfia, and have Kotchman waiting on deck to handle 1B after the Aurilia/ Hatteberg platoon ends. Laid low by mono this season, Kotchman has begun his rehab assignment, so he could be available in trade in another 2-3 weeks. So he wouldn't hang up any deal for Donnelly much beyond the All-Star Game.

He's not as flexible as McPherson. He only plays 1B, not 1B and 3B. But with Aurilia and Castro around, we wouldn't need a potential 3B caddy. The appeal of Kotchman is that he's only 23 and, once he's fully recovered in 2007, he could be a 1B stud. We're talking someone who could hit for a high OBP and also collect 25 or more HR.

Yes, he might block Votto or make it tough to move Dunn or Griffey to 1B. But as we know, those are issues we don't have to address this summer anyway. If it turns out in 2007 that we have 3 or 4 potential 1B who can whack 25 or more HR, then that's a good thing. We can begin to flip one after the other for pitchers, and not just relievers like Donnelly, but starters who we might hope could match the performance level of an Arroyo or Harang.

Losing Freel would hurt our offense in ways that could be more challenging than shedding Aurilia. But then again, the risk might be worth it to upgrade the bullpen, unleash Denorfia's talent and acquire an "X" factor talent like Kotchman who could make a huge difference down the road.

Jpup
06-25-2006, 06:59 AM
I would offer the Angels these two options:

(A) Aurilia and a promising AA reliever for Donnelly and their utility IF McPherson, who plays 1B and 3B. Why it might work? Aurilia is making $1.3, Donnelly $1 million, McPherson the league minimum, so their salaries are close to a wash. The Angels IF is having trouble hitting southpaws. Their 2B Kennedy has a .161 batting average against LH pitching, their 3B Figgins is hitting .216. Aurilia can plug that gap. He also is signed for two years, so in 2007, he could also be useful to the Angels as a DH. They currently have Salmon to DH against southpaws, but Salmon is 37, so who knows if he'll want to come back next year or if the Angels will want him back.

With Aurilia gone, we use the LH McPherson (.266 BA, 6 HR in 109 AB) to caddy for Encarnacion at 3B and Hatteberg at 1B, Castro/Olmedo for MI utility. We'll lose RH power off the bench, unless Larue can regain his stroke or we can flip him a RH bat.

(B) Freel straight-up for Donnelly and their fallen former 1B stud Kotchman. Why it might work? Again, salaries aren't a factor, as Freel is making the same as Aurilia, $1.3 million. Freel gives the Angels an added benefit over Aurilia, as he could also help them in the OF, where they have beaucoup issues owing to Erstad's injury-related absences, the age of Salmon and middling performance by Rivera.

What's in it for us? Besides picking up Donnelly, we free up a roster spot for Denorfia, and have Kotchman waiting on deck to handle 1B after the Aurilia/ Hatteberg platoon ends. Laid low by mono this season, Kotchman has begun his rehab assignment, so he could be available in trade in another 2-3 weeks. So he wouldn't hang up any deal for Donnelly much beyond the All-Star Game.

He's not as flexible as McPherson. He only plays 1B, not 1B and 3B. But with Aurilia and Castro around, we wouldn't need a potential 3B caddy. The appeal of Kotchman is that he's only 23 and, once he's fully recovered in 2007, he could be a 1B stud. We're talking someone who could hit for a high OBP and also collect 25 or more HR.

Yes, he might block Votto or make it tough to move Dunn or Griffey to 1B. But as we know, those are issues we don't have to address this summer anyway. If it turns out in 2007 that we have 3 or 4 potential 1B who can whack 25 or more HR, then that's a good thing. We can begin to flip one after the other for pitchers, and not just relievers like Donnelly, but starters who we might hope could match the performance level of an Arroyo or Harang.

Losing Freel would hurt our offense in ways that could be more challenging than shedding Aurilia. But then again, the risk might be worth it to upgrade the bullpen, unleash Denorfia's talent and acquire an "X" factor talent like Kotchman who could make a huge difference down the road.

You are not going to get much for Rich Aurilia. Nobody wanted him in the off season, and outside of Jerry Narron, I don't think anyone thinks much of him now.

McPherson is on the DL. Kotchman and Mathis would be 2 that I would target in a deal with the Angels along with one of the best bullpen guys out there, Scott Shields. It would probably take Kearns or FeLo to get it done along with the Reds sending a top prospect (which are few).

GAC
06-25-2006, 07:16 AM
One also has to consider the factor of what are the Angels needs? What are the weaknesses in their roster that they are attempting to fill?

And one has to say that about any potential trading partner. Sitting here, arbitrarily throwing out names really accomplishes little IMO.

Guacarock
06-25-2006, 07:32 AM
You are not going to get much for Rich Aurilia. Nobody wanted him in the off season, and outside of Jerry Narron, I don't think anyone thinks much of him now.

McPherson is on the DL. Kotchman and Mathis would be 2 that I would target in a deal with the Angels along with one of the best bullpen guys out there, Scott Shields. It would probably take Kearns and a lot of help to pull that deal off.

So then, you would or wouldn't open Door No. 2, sending Freel to the Angels for Donnelly and Kotchman? That's preferable over losing Kearns to acquire Scott Shields. If Kearns is going to wear a Halo, don't you think Santana should key the discussions?

The Devil Rays have already doused any chances of a deal this summer involving Crawford. Kearns is maybe not as hyped as Crawford, but he's a step above any other OF starters that the Angels are likely to acquire until the winter.

They are a prospect-heavy team. We are a team whose players are a tad bit more seasoned. There's a match, there.

The second match. We need bullpen relievers, they need offense.

The third match. They need RH power, especially OF. We might be overtapping the well after trading Pena, but we do still have Kearns, Freel, Aurilia and Denorfia in the fold.

If you ask me, a trade of Freel or Aurilia involving a return of Donnelly and prospects makes some sense. Surrendering Kearns would be overpaying unless Santana is part of the mix, while Denorfia isn't exactly what the Angels need. They've got enough prospects to break in.

Jpup
06-25-2006, 07:45 AM
So then, you would or wouldn't open Door No. 2, sending Freel to the Angels for Donnelly and Kotchman? That's preferable over losing Kearns to acquire Scott Shields. If Kearns is going to wear a Halo, don't you think Santana should key the discussions?

The Devil Rays have already doused any chances of a deal this summer involving Crawford. Kearns is maybe not as hyped as Crawford, but he's a step above any other OF starters that the Angels are likely to acquire until the winter.

They are a prospect-heavy team. We are a team whose players are a tad bit more seasoned. There's a match, there.

The second match. We need bullpen relievers, they need offense.

The third match. They need RH power, especially OF. We might be overtapping the well after trading Pena, but we do still have Kearns, Freel, Aurilia and Denorfia in the fold.

If you ask me, a trade of Freel or Aurilia involving a return of Donnelly and prospects makes some sense. Surrendering Kearns would be overpaying unless Santana is part of the mix, while Denorfia isn't exactly what the Angels need. They've got enough prospects to break in.

I think that Shields and Mathis for Kearns would be a fair trade. Maybe it's me, but I just think Shields is that good. Kearns is my favorite Red as well. I would hate to lose him, but I think it would be about an even trade. I'm not as much on Donnelly.

Would I trade Freel for Donnelly and Kotchman? That's a tough one, I don't think I would. Donnelly is 35. He's good, but I think that Freel is worth more to the Reds. Kotchman wouldn't make a difference this season anyway and that is the entire reason to trade for Donnelly. I think Krivsky could do better for Ryan Freel.

If you can get Santana for Kearns, Austin needs to be packing for LA. I can't see the the Angels trading Santana unless they are just blown away, not for one player. They do really need an right handed bat in the outfield though.

Personally, I would be trying to trade Jr. before any posistion player on the team.

The Angels would probably like to have a veteran catcher as well.

Spitball
06-25-2006, 11:10 AM
One also has to consider the factor of what are the Angels needs? What are the weaknesses in their roster that they are attempting to fill?

And one has to say that about any potential trading partner. Sitting here, arbitrarily throwing out names really accomplishes little IMO.

You are right, GAC. I hate to throw a poop into the punch bowl, but I doubt the Angels are looking to trade any of the names I see suggested here. What they want and need to do is get out from under some of those expensive salaries they are paying. This is a team very rich in young players, but they have foolishly blocked many of them by signing Jeff Weaver (blocking bro Jered), Cabrera (blocking Erick Aybar), and Adam Kennedy (blocking Howie Kendrick). In addition, they are paying lots of money to the likes of Hector Carrasco and J.C.(8 ERA) Romero. Being in last place, they are wasting money on Colon, Escobar, Anderson, and Salmon.

This is not a struggling team likely to ever improve by keeping high priced veterans and dumping inexpensive Santanas, Shields, or Donnellys. The only logical name I see is Carrasco and that is not too exciting. :(

pedro
06-25-2006, 01:51 PM
They need a CF badly, Erstad is done, so Freel or Denofria are probably a better fit than Kearns, and why they havn't called up Kendrick to replace Adam Kennedy already is beyond my comprehension.

Spitball
06-25-2006, 02:22 PM
They need a CF badly, Erstad is done, so Freel or Denofria are probably a better fit than Kearns...

They have Tommy Murphy, the best athlete in their organization. They have Reggie Willits. They don't need Kearns. They don't need Freel or Denorfia. They need to unload salary. They aren't a team that needs to add talent. They need to unload expensive veterans so they can move their great young prospects into positions.

...and why they havn't called up Kendrick to replace Adam Kennedy already is beyond my comprehension.

Because they hope to trade Kennedy. Why bench him and let his statistics slip before he can be moved to St Louis or a contender looking for a veteran for the stretch drive?

The Angels might dangle a Santana, but they will cetainly pull the old "bait and switch". Their need to unload veterans is obvious. They have the kind of good young talent that, combined with Guerrero, Lackey, and Rodriguez, could have them contending next season.

pedro
06-25-2006, 02:41 PM
Fair enough spitball, I didn't look to see what they had in minors in CF. It does seem to me that they are killing this years chances though by playing erstad and kennedy when they have better options readily available.

M2
06-25-2006, 03:06 PM
They have Tommy Murphy, the best athlete in their organization. They have Reggie Willits. They don't need Kearns. They don't need Freel or Denorfia. They need to unload salary. They aren't a team that needs to add talent. They need to unload expensive veterans so they can move their great young prospects into positions.

I disagree. Murphy's an underpowered spare OF type. Willits might be a leadoff hitter if he can keep the bat from getting knocked out of his hands in the majors, though I'm under the impression his CF defense is a question mark.

The Angels could certainly use Freel or Denorfia, though what they really need is Dunn, Kearns or Griffey because the offense lacks biceps outside of Vlad and power is the one thing the up-and-coming kids in the system generally lack (outside of Brandon Wood) is power.

Spitball
06-25-2006, 03:53 PM
I disagree. Murphy's an underpowered spare OF type. Willits might be a leadoff hitter if he can keep the bat from getting knocked out of his hands in the majors, though I'm under the impression his CF defense is a question mark.

I disagree and I have witnessed both players many times while they played here in Arkansas. The remark on Willits' defense completely invalidates your comments for me. How many times have you seen them play?

The Angels could certainly use Freel or Denorfia...

Why? They can add Freel and Denorfia to Guerrero, Figgins, Anderson, Rivera, Willits, and Murphy, but it won't improve their team by a significant margin. They need to move Cabrera, Kennedy, Romero, Carrasco, and possibly a few more and play their fine young players. They do need some power, but more than Denorfia or Freel will bring.

cincinnati chili
06-25-2006, 04:11 PM
Those Angels trades have the Angels giving up way too much. They wouldn't go for those.

They might bite on Aurilia for Donnelly straight up. They'll PROBABLY bite on Freel for Donnelly straight up. They're not going to throw in those prospects.

OtOh, I know he's down this year, but doesn't Chone Figgins give you pretty much what Freel does? Plus he's younger.

M2
06-25-2006, 04:36 PM
I disagree and I have witnessed both players many times while they played here in Arkansas. The remark on Willits' defense completely invalidates your comments for me. How many times have you seen them play?

I've been following Murphy since I cyberdrafted him in 2000. Murphy never posted an SLG above .400 until last year. He's doing it again this year, but that's largely due to a high BA (.331). The point here being the only place where Murphy ever showed power was the Texas League. He's not flashing much muscle in the PCL (13 EBH, including 2 HR). He hit 11 HR at Rancho Cucamonga, which is one of the best power-hitting parks in the minors. Like I said, that smacks of spaghetti-bat bench player to me.

As for Willits' defense, I was under the impression he had a really short arm, the kind that forces guys to LF. Haven't seen him play, but, iirc, that's been a knock on him.

Why? They can add Freel and Denorfia to Guerrero, Figgins, Anderson, Rivera, Willits, and Murphy, but it won't improve their team by a significant margin. They need to move Cabrera, Kennedy, Romero, Carrasco, and possibly a few more and play their fine young players. They do need some power, but more than Denorfia or Freel will bring.

Again, Murphy's impatient with a relatively Judy bat. Willits is extremely patient with an extremely Judy bat. Neither of those are particularly good bets to deliver much in the majors in short order. Garret Anderson's bat is in steep retreat. He should be at the top of the list of players the Halos need to move. Figgins is a nice fill-in player though he's not having a very good year and he's also fairly weak. Deno of Freel could easily find a home in that mix, though I think the Halos will and should be focused on power in the OF. Freel's one of the best leadoff hitters in baseball over the past three years. A team with a .317 OB in the #1 slot could certainly figure out a way to deploy him.

Dunn in front of Vlad would be scary.

Guacarock
06-26-2006, 03:42 AM
FWIW, Peter Gammons reported tonight that the Angels are seeking a power bat to chase the pennant this year. While they are in last place in the AL West, the Angels are only 7 games back of Oakland. They believe they can compete in their weak division, if they can get someone to ride shotgun for Vlad.

So while some of you think the Angels should strip down and rebuild, they aren't ready to throw in the towel.

Could Aurilia float their boat? Maybe. His 9 HR surpasses everyone on their roster except Vlad. But at best, Aurilia will net us a limited return, say RP Donnelly. Yes, Donnelly is 35, but his ERA for the season is 2.87, with a stingy sub-1.00 ERA over his last 10 games. Works for me, even if it's not Shields, who the Angels aren't going to be coughing up if they're playing for keeps in '06.

If we really want to tap that franchise's deep pool of positional prospects and pitchers, then we would have to raise the ante, offering Kearns or Dunn. Does it make sense for us to do so, being in the thick of a pennant chase ourselves, now only two games behind the faltering Cards?

My own thinking. No. The Angels have what we want, and we have what they want, but the timing seems off for a blockbuster deal between the two teams.

Of course, if they came calling for Kearns, making their SP Santana available, then that would be a mighty tempting deal to consider, especially if the deal could be expanded outward to include any of their most vaunted prospects.

After all, we do have Denorfia waiting in the wings, primed and pumped for a callup.