PDA

View Full Version : Cabrera's heads up play beats Orioles

RFS62
06-23-2006, 09:34 AM
Anybody see Miguel Cabrera smack an intentional walk pitchout for a hit last night?

It was a thing of beauty. Orioles closer Chris Ray tossed it up a little too close to the plate, and Cabrera stepped to the inside edge of the batters box and stroked a single, knocking in the go ahead run in the 10th inning.

Fantastic heads up play by Cabrera.

RFS62
06-23-2006, 09:36 AM
This account from the Chicago Sun-Times

Cabrera rejects walk, wins it in 10th

June 23, 2006

The ball floated in the air, much closer to the plate than Miguel Cabrera anticipated. It was supposed to be the first pitch of an intentional walk, but Cabrera wasn't about to let this one get to the catcher.

And so he took a swing at it.

The result was a 10th-inning RBI single that put the Florida Marlins ahead for good in an 8-5 victory over the Orioles on Thursday night in Baltimore.

The Marlins trailed 5-1 in the ninth before coming back against Baltimore closer Chris Ray, who was 18-for-18 in save situations this season.

Then, with the score tied at 5 in the 10th, Hanley Ramirez led off with an infield hit against Todd Williams (1-3). Ramirez took second on a ground out, bringing Cabrera to the plate.

With catcher Ramon Hernandez standing upright and calling for an intentional walk, Cabrera stepped into the soft, outside pitch and drove it to center, scoring Ramirez with the go-ahead run on a swing more likely to be seen in the movies than the major leagues.

''I haven't seen anything like that before. I've seen a wild pitch on that, but never a hit,'' Marlins manager Joe Girardi said.

Cabrera would have taken a walk, but a pitch like that was too good to pass up.

''I looked at it and saw it was too close to the plate -- and decided I would swing at it,'' he said. ''It wasn't planned. They gave me time to wait and get ready to hit it. I've never done that before.''

Johnny Footstool
06-23-2006, 09:39 AM
Kelly Leak lives.

Really, I think it was a poor decision that happened to pay off. If he would have grounded out, the fans, the media, and Joe Girardi would have been all over him for not taking the walk.

RFS62
06-23-2006, 09:43 AM
Did you see it?

The pitch was very close. You or I could have stroked it for a hit if we were ready, instead of just standing there waiting to take the walk.

It happened because he had his head in the game and was ready for anything.

princeton
06-23-2006, 09:44 AM
I didn't understand the article at first, until I remembered that the unwashed masses still believe that hits are better than walks and that RBIs actually matter

maybe Cabrera was actually trying his best to strikeout, because K's are good :)

registerthis
06-23-2006, 09:48 AM
Did you see it?

The pitch was very close. You or I could have stroked it for a hit if we were ready, instead of just standing there waiting to take the walk.

It happened because he had his head in the game and was ready for anything.

You can see the clip here: http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060622&content_id=1518921&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

Absolutely a heads-up play by Cabrera, that pitch was softer than a batting practice toss. Swinging was definitely the right thing to do.

vaticanplum
06-23-2006, 10:03 AM
Indeed

Heath
06-23-2006, 10:25 AM
Indeed

uhhh, vatican, wrong Cabrera......

vaticanplum
06-23-2006, 10:26 AM
uhhh, vatican, wrong Cabrera......

I'm trying to confuse people and divert their attention to other fabulous plays. It is not working.

Heath
06-23-2006, 10:28 AM
I'm trying to confuse people and divert their attention to other fabulous plays. It is not working.

If you see a google video image of Francisco Cabrera hitting and Sid Bream sliding, the joke might work ;) :D

But, alas, my duty in life to kill threads. :help: :bash:

ramp101
06-23-2006, 10:30 AM
Gotta love Cabrera and those Marlins baby!

I still dont believe he pulled that **** last night

redsmetz
06-23-2006, 01:23 PM
You can see the clip here: http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/gameday_recap.jsp?ymd=20060622&content_id=1518921&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=fla

Absolutely a heads-up play by Cabrera, that pitch was softer than a batting practice toss. Swinging was definitely the right thing to do.

They only had a link for the audio of the play. Anyone have a link for video?

RFS62
06-23-2006, 01:25 PM
If you don't see it online, don't worry. ESPN will probably play it to death tonight.

redsmetz
06-23-2006, 01:27 PM

Never mind, I found it in the archives.

reds44
06-23-2006, 01:27 PM
Click on the audio link, and when it pops up you will see the video link. "Cabrera's unusual single"

savafan
06-23-2006, 01:33 PM
or check it out on deadspin:

http://www.deadspin.com/sports/baseball/the-closer-how-not-to-intentionally-walk-someone-182840.php

registerthis
06-23-2006, 02:42 PM

The video was there when I clicked on it.

KronoRed
06-23-2006, 03:35 PM
Indeed
Posting yankees should be bannable :evil:

PuffyPig
06-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Kelly Leak lives.

Really, I think it was a poor decision that happened to pay off. If he would have grounded out, the fans, the media, and Joe Girardi would have been all over him for not taking the walk.

Why?

A walk would do you little to zero good.

The relavent question is whether or not Cabrerra had a better chance to get a hit on that particular pitch than the next batter would on an actual pitch.

vaticanplum
06-23-2006, 03:43 PM
My friend the Orioles fanatic just responded to the video I cheerfully sent him this morning. He is not pleased. :laugh:

I would reprint the letter he intends to send to the Orioles' marketing department, but it is unprintable here.

Team Clark
06-23-2006, 03:53 PM
Kelly Leak lives.

True...BUT if Miggy can't hit THAT floater past the infield then there are larger issues to deal with...

savafan
06-23-2006, 04:03 PM
My friend the Orioles fanatic just responded to the video I cheerfully sent him this morning. He is not pleased. :laugh:

I would reprint the letter he intends to send to the Orioles' marketing department, but it is unprintable here.

He better be careful what he writes, if MLB gets wind of the letter, they may make him go to sensitivity training. :D

KronoRed
06-23-2006, 04:04 PM
Yeah if he'd killed the rally he would be torched

Nothing ventured nothing gained I suppose ;)

vaticanplum
06-23-2006, 04:13 PM

To see a rainbow you have to put up with a little rain (note: this is also my philosophy regarding Adam Dunn. And the Reds circa 2000-2005).

pedro
06-23-2006, 04:19 PM
I think it was a smart play. Forget the fact that they were trying to walk him. The next batter wasn't going to see a pitch that easy to hit.

Blimpie
06-23-2006, 04:40 PM
Great play. I just made my seven year old son come to the computer so he could view it.

My favorite part is watching the Baltimore 1B go from standing upright and kicking the dirt around in mid-yawn...to him suddenly going "Oh, #%^$" and acting like he was down and ready. :D

TeamBoone
06-23-2006, 07:56 PM
I just saw the clip on FSN's weekly baseball show (the best one on TV, IMHO).

I don't blame him for swinging at that... they were actually pretty stupid to intentionally walk him with a pitch so close to the plate. Heck, it wasn't even a pitch... it was a lob, like most of them are in that situation. It was just hanging there, all pretty, begging to be swatted.

GAC
06-24-2006, 06:15 AM
I didn't understand the article at first, until I remembered that the unwashed masses still believe that hits are better than walks and that RBIs actually matter

maybe Cabrera was actually trying his best to strikeout, because K's are good :)

K's don't matter. ;)

GAC
06-24-2006, 06:16 AM

Int walks, which are intended to take the bat out of hand of a hitter, can alot of times kill rallies when they see who is on deck. ;)

GAC
06-24-2006, 06:19 AM
True...BUT if Miggy can't hit THAT floater past the infield then there are larger issues to deal with...

Exactly. After watching the video, that was one smart and heads up decision. What a floater pitch. :lol:

Deepred05
06-24-2006, 11:08 AM
I recall Pete Rose doing the same thing in the late 70's. If I remember correctly, it was an extra inning game, and his hit won the game.

KronoRed
06-24-2006, 02:59 PM
After viewing it a few times I have to wonder if that was an attempt at a strike, came really close ;)

Johnny Footstool
06-24-2006, 04:13 PM
I watched the video -- it was close enough that it might have been called a strike. He didn't really have to step very far to hit it.

I'll give him credit for hitting it. Good play.

LINEDRIVER
06-25-2006, 10:08 PM
I recall Pete Rose doing the same thing in the late 70's. If I remember correctly, it was an extra inning game, and his hit won the game.

Maybe you are thinking of this?? This play occured in the 8th inning in San Francisco. Concepcion scored on thirdbaseman Jim Ray Hart's error before Rose was thrown out at second base.

May 16, 1972 ... In the Reds 4–3 win over the Giants, Pete Rose knocks in the winning run on an attempted intentional walk. On a 3–0 count, Giants pitcher Ron Bryant comes close to the plate with ball four and Rose drives it on the ground and reaches base on an error.

princeton
06-26-2006, 06:49 AM
Maybe you are thinking of this?? This play occured in the 8th inning in San Francisco. Concepcion scored on thirdbaseman Jim Ray Hart's error before Rose was thrown out at second base.

May 16, 1972 ... In the Reds 43 win over the Giants, Pete Rose knocks in the winning run on an attempted intentional walk. On a 30 count, Giants pitcher Ron Bryant comes close to the plate with ball four and Rose drives it on the ground and reaches base on an error.

tsk, tsk. Pete, what were you thinking?

As we've learned on Redszone, walks have to trump RBIs.

westofyou
06-26-2006, 10:37 AM
Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz zzzz

gonelong
06-26-2006, 10:39 AM

As we've learned on Redszone, walks have to trump RBIs.

I never learned that on Redszone.

From what I can gather after the fact (hey, I was only 2 in 1972) Pete got lucky here. He did reach on an error by the 3B so .90+% of the time he would have been trading that walk for an out, not an RBI.

REDS 8TH: Concepcion walked; Nolan out on a sacrifice bunt
(pitcher to second) [Concepcion to second]; Rose reached on an
error by Hart (3B) [Concepcion scored, Rose out at second (shortstop
to second)]; Morgan walked; Tolan singled to left [Morgan to
third]; MCMAHON REPLACED BRYANT (PITCHING); Tolan stole second;
Perez grounded out (second to first); 1 R, 1 H, 1 E, 2 LOB.
Reds 4, Giants 2.

========================

I did see the video on Cabrerra, I have no issue with him taking a cut at that particular pitch. I can't really say the same for Rose as I haven't seen the pitch he attempted to hit.

As a side note, I have seen a RH hitter at the plate, a speedy runner at 3B, and the catcher popping out from behind the plate to receive a ball for an intentional walk. I have never seen the player on 3rd steal home in that situation, and I wonder why. If you went on the 3rd pitch or so they would never be expecting it. The catch is 4-5 feet away from the plate recieving a lolly-pop from the pitcher. Seems like a slam dunk.

GL

SunDeck
06-26-2006, 01:03 PM
I'm willing to bet that just about any major league hitter can do that without grounding out 9 times out of 10. Give the guy some credit will ya? It was like playing pepper.

gonelong
06-26-2006, 01:05 PM
I'm willing to bet that just about any major league hitter can do that without grounding out 9 times out of 10. Give the guy some credit will ya? It was like playing pepper.

Well, the time Pete did it, he hit it to a career .923 Fielder who botched it. Thats all I said.

GL

SunDeck
06-26-2006, 04:17 PM
That's why I didn't say 10 out of 10. :D

LINEDRIVER
06-26-2006, 07:35 PM
I'd like to see some film of that play. Rose had to be batting right-handed against the lefty Bryant. That makes me wonder just how outside that could of been that Rose was able to reach and pull it down the third base line.

LINEDRIVER
06-26-2006, 09:03 PM
Just heard Pete Rose on WLW radio here in Cincinnati. A caller asked about swinging at an intentional walk pitch. Pete mentioned the game in San Francisco and he recalled that he stepped across the plate to swing at that pitch. The ball hit a seam in the artificial turf but Hart was credited with an error.