PDA

View Full Version : Why isn't David Ross starting everyday?

redsrule2500
06-23-2006, 04:47 PM
He's proven himself in the field and at the plate (batting). I don't understand why he isn't our everyday catcher! He leads all of baseball in Homeruns at the catcher position, and hasn't even played that many games! Am I missing something?!?:confused:

Jason LaRue should just be traded or released - and Narron should stick with Ross/Valentin.

Plus, David Ross is the choice of our pitching ace Arroyo...

KronoRed
06-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Release LaRue? we'll still have to pay him

Get rid of Valenin

zombie-a-go-go
06-23-2006, 04:50 PM
Shining LaRue up for a trade, perhaps? Or trying to, anyway. See Graves, Danny - 2004 model.

Red in Chicago
06-23-2006, 04:56 PM
larue just needs some at bats and his numbers would improve...trading him now will be difficult...too good to simply release...valentin is the least valuable of the three...in my opinion

pedro
06-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Because his success in the majors extends to all of 89 ab's and the Reds aren't about to drop a proven major league catcher such as Larue when he is owed another 6-7 million dollars over 2006-2007.

I'm all for giving Ross the majority of ab's while he's hot but anyone who thinks he's going to hit like this forever is probably up for some major disappointment.

Ross really doesn't throw that well either.

Valentin should really never get a start IMO.

Doc. Scott
06-23-2006, 04:59 PM
Uh, Ross has been playing most of the time. Or as much every day as most catchers do these days. He's been out there at least three of every five for the past several weeks.

acredsfan
06-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Maybe Ross should be the one we should be looking to trade, we all know that LaRue should post solid numbers over the duration of the season, plus his contract is a big factor on the trade market. We would either have to pay for most of LaRue's contract or get little to nothing in return. I see Ross as a lower cost higher reward type trade.

Ltlabner
06-23-2006, 05:22 PM
Ross really doesn't throw that well either.

Lifetime Ross has a CS% of .366 while LaRues is .392. That places LaRue 3rd amoung NL catchers (comparing his lifetime to the 2006 leaders) and Ross tied for 4th. If you compared them to AL catchers LaRue would be 5th and Ross 7th. IMO, that isn't a significant enough difference to say "Ross really doesn't throw that well" unless you also say LaRue doesn't throw that well. Actually, it's Javy who's got a the lowest CS% of the three at .333%.

I'm not saying Ross is the 2nd comming of catchers but I'd like to see him continue to get AB's to see if he'll come back to earth. Of course, this doesn't make the LaRue situation any easier.

pedro
06-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Lifetime Ross has a CS% of .366 while LaRues is .392. That places LaRue 3rd amoung NL catchers (comparing his lifetime to the 2006 leaders) and Ross tied for 4th. If you compared them to AL catchers LaRue would be 5th and Ross 7th. IMO, that isn't a significant enough difference to say "Ross really doesn't throw that well" unless you also say LaRue doesn't throw that well. Actually, it's Javy who's got a the lowest CS% of the three at .333%.

I'm not saying Ross is the 2nd comming of catchers but I'd like to see him continue to get AB's to see if he'll come back to earth. Of course, this doesn't make the LaRue situation any easier.

It's really just an observation from watching him this year (when he's only thrown out runners at a rate .286)

smith288
06-23-2006, 05:31 PM
Everytime I look it seems like Ross is catching. Im actually suprised now when I see someone else doing the duties come gametime.

Joseph
06-23-2006, 05:32 PM
Ross is starting to cool off.

Just saying.

smith288
06-23-2006, 05:36 PM

Just saying.
Dat's cause Valentin's start threw him off his mojo!

Ltlabner
06-23-2006, 05:45 PM
Because his success in the majors extends to all of 89 ab's and the Reds aren't about to drop a proven major league catcher such as Larue when he is owed another 6-7 million dollars over 2006-2007.

It's really just an observation from watching him this year (when he's only thrown out runners at a rate .286)

Not to be nit-picky, but concerning his offence you discounted Ross' output because it's based on partial year data (ie. small sample size), yet, concerning his arm, you knock him a bit because of his performance based on that same partial year data.

I've looked at the catchers numbers a few times now, and am ready to go through them again when I get time (stupid yard needing mowed). I'm not sold yet as to what to do. I lean towards Ross, but LaRue's a proven commidity. I like Valentine for several reasons, but is he worth more as a trade chip or PH type?

I don't think we should DFA LaRue or just trade him for a sack of potatoes, nor do I think we should put all of our eggs in the Ross basket. It's a tough situation that will be interesting to see played out.

KronoRed
06-23-2006, 06:23 PM
Dat's cause Valentin's start threw him off his mojo!
Does Valentin mojo killing know no end?

pedro
06-23-2006, 06:54 PM
Not to be nit-picky, but concerning his offence you discounted Ross' output because it's based on partial year data (ie. small sample size), yet, concerning his arm, you knock him a bit because of his performance based on that same partial year data.

I really hadn't at his defensive stats until you calld me on it. I was just going on observation. You're correct, it does appear from his career stats that he may throw better than he has shown this year.

PuffyPig
06-23-2006, 07:37 PM

Just saying.

After Ross's 12 game hitting streak ended, he immediately embarked on a current 6 game streak. I wish all our players would cool off like that.

Just sayin'.

RedsManRick
06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
Catchers who play everday break down quickly. It's rare to find a catcher who can catch 130+ games.

TeamBoone
06-23-2006, 09:13 PM
He has very few days off, so I'd say he pretty much IS playing every day.

Besides, catching is a brutal position... no team plays their catcher every single day.

Joseph
06-23-2006, 11:19 PM
After Ross's 12 game hitting streak ended, he immediately embarked on a current 6 game streak. I wish all our players would cool off like that.

Just sayin'.

Which ended yesterday.

Just saying.

Seriously though, my comment was made in reference to a previous comment [I made]that saw him hit 2 HR's later that night. So I was hoping it would again prompt some fireworks.

traderumor
06-24-2006, 12:27 AM
I would say it is taking advantage of the luxury of having three catchers who can do a good job on any given night. If/when LaRue gets traded, then Ross is more rested for the stretch run when it is just him and Javy.

Reds1
06-24-2006, 01:16 AM
Nice complete game shut out with LaRue behind the plate. I was surprised to see him in there tonight. Ross will play tomorrow. I actually look forward to watching him bat.

RFS62
06-24-2006, 10:43 AM

Besides, catching is a brutal position... no team plays their catcher every single day.

Yep. Plus you have to give a start to your backup catcher every now and then to keep the rust off.

ochre
06-24-2006, 11:02 AM
Yep. Plus you have to give a start to your backup catcher every now and then to keep the rust off.

Adjusting for accuracy:

Yep. Plus you have to give a start to your backup catchers every now and then to keep the rust off.

KronoRed
06-24-2006, 03:59 PM
We could use a 4th catcher.

;)

TeamBoone
06-24-2006, 08:28 PM
We could use a 4th catcher.

;)

We have one, Krono... Hatteberg!

KronoRed
06-25-2006, 12:06 AM
:lol:

and hey Freel has said he can catch..5! :D

Jpup
06-25-2006, 07:16 AM
I wonder if the Mets would be interested in Javier Valentin? They seem to love his brother. Ramon Castro is no great shakes behind the plate, at least his bat isn't. I can't speak for his fielding, as I haven't watched him play much.

They surely have a bullpen arm that they could let go for him. Heck, the Mets only have 2 catchers on their 40 man, everyone knows they need 3 on the 25.

cReds1
06-25-2006, 11:10 AM

so we pay a back-up $4.5M for the next 2 years?

cReds1
06-25-2006, 11:11 AM
He's proven himself in the field and at the plate (batting). I don't understand why he isn't our everyday catcher! He leads all of baseball in Homeruns at the catcher position, and hasn't even played that many games! Am I missing something?!?:confused:

Jason LaRue should just be traded or released - and Narron should stick with Ross/Valentin.

Plus, David Ross is the choice of our pitching ace Arroyo...

I totally agree with you. I was hammered to say LaRue was no good. I don't post much, but I was hammered.

TeamBoone
06-25-2006, 11:55 AM
so we pay a back-up $4.5M for the next 2 years?

I don't believe I was commenting on anything but the original question posed in the thread title.

cReds1
06-25-2006, 04:43 PM
I don't believe I was commenting on anything but the original question posed in the thread title.

Hey, I agree with you, but weren't you one of the ones that never ever wanted to see LaRue leave? Maybe my memory is bad, but I am sure it was Team someone. I could be wrong. Sorry if I am. I was just commenting on your resting comment and no way should we pay a back-up $4.45M.