PDA

View Full Version : Something odd is going on! Are the Reds becoming popular?

paulrichjr
06-24-2006, 02:31 AM
I really don't know how to word the title but hopefully I can explain what I am trying to say. I remember being a Reds fan in the 70s when they were obviously popular and did a very good job marketing themselves. For the last 30 years they have failed miserably in marketing. Lately however, I see the Reds stuff and ads everywhere.

I live very near the Alabama/Mississippi/Tennessee line which is usually Cardinals country, (In the 70s it was Cards and Reds country) but suddenly I walk into sports stores in Alabama and see Reds jerseys at the front of the store(for the first time since 1990). I look at USA Today (today) and lo and behold Mr. Red himself is in an advertisement for Holiday Inn. I turn on Fox Sports Net and now the Reds are the default team instead of the Braves or Cardinals throughout most of Tennessee. I see people wearing Reds hats in lots of areas in the South. This is an overnight occurance...I'm telling you...an overnight occurance. It's almost like all of the fans went into hiding and now are coming back out with new management and ownership.

IT'S COOL TO BE A REDS FAN AGAIN!

RBA
06-24-2006, 02:43 AM
I believe what you are seeing is the Reds asserting their terroritorial rights to their market. It takes team representatives to go town to town and meet face to face with these cable operators to persuade them that the Reds are the team of choice.

TeamBoone
06-24-2006, 02:52 AM
suddenly I walk into sports stores in Alabama and see Reds jerseys at the front of the store(for the first time since 1990).

I absolutely love hearing this... I really do. But I'll tell ya what! They sure do need to concentrate some of that effort right here at home.

I've been looking for a new Reds hat literally for months.... nothing fancy, just the normal hat... red or black, I don't care.

I don't want to pay $25 so I'm looking at Meijer, K-Mart, Target, etc. And folks, you can't find them... the miniscule selection of ANY Reds gear without going into a sporting goods store is absolutely ridiculous. It makes me angry every single time and my daughter is sick of my continuing tirade every time I strike out looking for this hat. She was very disgusted with me over it just yesterday.

I swear, walking around in the local stores you'd never even know there was a major league team in town. And truthfully? Yes, it does disgust me.

Today I was in Kroger, the third store I went to trying to find the new issue of Cincinnati Magazine because, according to the local morning show, they did a very nice feature on Bronson Arroyo. So far, no luck in even finding this magazine! I asked the department manager about it.... "Bronson Arroyo? Who's he?". I was shocked! I honestly thought everybody in town would have heard of him by now, even if they aren't a baseball fan.

Why there isn't more/any merchandise available around town at the local retailers certainly isn't very effective marketing, especially when the team is doing well. If I'm having a hard time finding it, except at specialty stores, than others must be too.

Meijer sells Reds tickets for Pete's sake! But try finding a cap. They seem to have plenty of OU, X, UK, Bearcats, and Bengals.

One more pet peeve is that you also can not find any Reds gear at Christmas time, apparently because it's a summer sport. It's Christmas people; get smart!

Parliament
06-24-2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah I also live in TN and I bought the mlb radio thinking it would be the only way to hear the games but it seems like at least twice a weeek they are on Fox Sports South. I love it.

Ltlabner
06-24-2006, 10:48 AM
For those who live in the Cincinnati area, the Eastgate Biggs had offical MLB Reds hats for $7 or $8 a few weeks ago. My wife picked up one of the ones with the red cap and black brim for me. I don't know if they still have any, but it might be worth a try.

DropDocK
06-24-2006, 07:33 PM
I found Arroyo and Freel t-shirt jerseys in Forest Fair, whoops I mean Cincinnati Mills, at Team Town, fyi. First time I've ever seen them outside of the stadium.

TC81190
06-24-2006, 10:07 PM
I found Arroyo and Freel t-shirt jerseys in Forest Fair, whoops I mean Cincinnati Mills, at Team Town, fyi. First time I've ever seen them outside of the stadium.

Saw them there yesterday. Was very surprised.

markymark69
06-24-2006, 10:17 PM
The Reds are also being shown in some parts of North Carolina as well. My parents live in the same county that Todd Coffey is from and they have been on there when the Braves aren't being shown on FSN South.

Definitely, good news. I can now follow the Reds when I visit my folks.

Red White
06-24-2006, 11:40 PM
I believe what you are seeing is the Reds asserting their terroritorial rights to their market. It takes team representatives to go town to town and meet face to face with these cable operators to persuade them that the Reds are the team of choice.

I don't think the timing of this new and improved regional marketing and the takeover of new ownership is a coincidence. The Cardinals have been a great example of how a midwest city with a relatively smaller local market can increase revenues regionally.

alloverjr
06-24-2006, 11:47 PM
Today I was in Kroger, the third store I went to trying to find the new issue of Cincinnati Magazine because, according to the local morning show, they did a very nice feature on Bronson Arroyo. So far, no luck in even finding this magazine! I asked the department manager about it.... "Bronson Arroyo? Who's he?". I was shocked! I honestly thought everybody in town would have heard of him by now, even if they aren't a baseball fan.

Cincinnati Magazine may be a subscriber only mag, or at best one that is found in a few select retailers. I happen to have a subscription. TB, if you haven't found one yet and still would like it, let me know and I'll mail you my copy.

RBA
06-24-2006, 11:53 PM
Reds Leather Jacket. 49.99 Only "Large" left. It's not all leather.

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2073843

20 percent coupon code is floating around. edit: enter coupon code: 6132

paulrichjr
06-25-2006, 01:15 AM
Reds Leather Jacket. 49.99 Only "Large" left. It's not all leather.

http://www.wilsonsleather.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2073843

20 percent coupon code is floating around. edit: enter coupon code: 6132

Very Very cool... I bought one...Thanks

dman
06-25-2006, 02:31 AM
TB, Not that you'd want to travel 100 miles to get it, but WalMart here in Grove City has the "un-official" reds caps with the adjustable bands in the back. I didn't get a price on them though. I'm one of the guilty parties that paid $25 for my black BP Reds cap. I wanted this one though because it was lightweight.

Jpup
06-25-2006, 06:39 AM
I absolutely love hearing this... I really do. But I'll tell ya what! They sure do need to concentrate some of that effort right here at home.

I've been looking for a new Reds hat literally for months.... nothing fancy, just the normal hat... red or black, I don't care.

I don't want to pay $25 so I'm looking at Meijer, K-Mart, Target, etc. And folks, you can't find them... the miniscule selection of ANY Reds gear without going into a sporting goods store is absolutely ridiculous. It makes me angry every single time and my daughter is sick of my continuing tirade every time I strike out looking for this hat. She was very disgusted with me over it just yesterday.

I swear, walking around in the local stores you'd never even know there was a major league team in town. And truthfully? Yes, it does disgust me.

Why there isn't more/any merchandise available around town at the local retailers certainly isn't very effective marketing, especially when the team is doing well. If I'm having a hard time finding it, except at specialty stores, than others must be too.

Meijer sells Reds tickets for Pete's sake! But try finding a cap. They seem to have plenty of OU, X, UK, Bearcats, and Bengals.

One more pet peeve is that you also can not find any Reds gear at Christmas time, apparently because it's a summer sport. It's Christmas people; get smart!

There are a million places online to buy a Reds cap for less than 25 bucks.

RANDY IN INDY
06-25-2006, 09:41 AM
The Reds are also being shown in some parts of North Carolina as well. My parents live in the same county that Todd Coffey is from and they have been on there when the Braves aren't being shown on FSN South.

Definitely, good news. I can now follow the Reds when I visit my folks.

Same here in Charlotte on FSN South. The great thing is that the Reds are still considered a home team in the Charlotte area,(goes back to the 70's) so I get all the Reds games with the FOX Sports package(FSN Cincinnati channel 638) on DirecTV. Saved me a lot of money since I don't have to buy the MLB Extra Innings package like I did when I lived in Virginia.

MattyHo4Life
06-25-2006, 09:46 AM
The Reds will be popular again if they continue to win. The past owners have complained about small market blah blah blahs just so they could keep extra money in their pockets, but it's all about putting a winning team on the field regardless of cost. If you put a team out there that people want to stand behind, then you will get fans and your market will increase. It isn't rocket science. Maybe now the Reds finally get it.

Yachtzee
06-25-2006, 11:16 AM
I've noticed stores up here carrying more Reds and, surprise, more Bengals stuff as well, and I am well into Indians/Browns territory. When I was a kid, you would always see a little bit of Reds gear, but never anything Bengals. But just the other day I was walking past Champs Sports at a local mall. They had Griffey and Dunn jerseys, Reds t-shirts and hats as well. They also had Palmer, C. Johnson, R. Johnson, and Houshmanzadeh Bengals jerseys. Obviously a lot of it has to do with their record, but by the same token, I think some of it has to do with improved marketing.

I'm most impressed to hear that the Reds are getting on TV in places considered part of their market area. More exposure only helps attract more people to the games. A fan from TN is more likely to make that drive up to Cincinnati if he or she has been able to watch the games on TV and develop an interest in the team.

TeamBoone
06-25-2006, 11:50 AM
There are a million places online to buy a Reds cap for less than 25 bucks.

I know this... I can get the cap. I used that situation to try to make a point, but I guess I failed.

My point is, I live in Cincinnati. Reds caps should be everywhere, but instead the pickings are scarce... and that's just wrong.

Newman4
06-26-2006, 10:34 AM
TB, Not that you'd want to travel 100 miles to get it, but WalMart here in Grove City has the "un-official" reds caps with the adjustable bands in the back. I didn't get a price on them though. I'm one of the guilty parties that paid $25 for my black BP Reds cap. I wanted this one though because it was lightweight.

Same here. I live in the other 'Tri-State', where WV, KY and Ohio come together and all the WalMarts here have Reds caps with the adjustable back for $5, regular price. My wife's aunt bought me one awhile back and it's pretty nice for the money. :thumbup:

I had a seminar this past week in Hazard, KY of all places and the Hibbetts Sports there had Reds stuff all over the place. Oddly, the next most popular team as far as mechandise was the Yankees. Go figure.

TeamCasey
06-26-2006, 10:52 AM
Along the same theme. I'm always disappointed at Christmas time that I can't find Red's stuff locally.

I know it's not baseball season ......... but we are in Cincinnati and it's Christmas. HELLO!

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 10:53 AM
The new Dick's Sporting Goods in Butler County has had a nice selection of Reds gear since they opened.

guttle11
06-26-2006, 11:16 AM
I hear the Reds are big out in Compton.

Ltlabner
06-26-2006, 11:22 AM
Cincinnati has always been refered to as a "baseball town" but I tend to disagree with that. I think the Cincinnati Metro area has a core group of baseball fans that account for 15k-20k of attendence at most home games. Most other cities of our size have a smiluar "core group" although how many seats they fill may differ.

What changes are the hangers on, or fair-weather fans who consider the Reds one of a myrid of entertainment choices in the city. It's only when the team is winning, and doing so for more than a month that they suddenly find the Reds more interesting than the movies, fairs, eating out, etc. As these fans decide that the Reds are more and more interesting the demand for Red's stuff will increase as will the supply at stores. So I think that the answer to the thread title is Yes. People are starting to decide the Reds are a better use of their limited entertainment dollars than other choices.

As someone else pointed out, I think that it's no conicidence that the Reds are increasing their marketing efforts in areas outside of Cincy metro now that BC is in town. I think it's fantastic as there are many fans out there and the more they increase the fan base, the more dollars they will see in revenue, means more dollars can go into baseball operations (ie. payroll).

vaticanplum
06-26-2006, 11:37 AM
I want someone to do a study on what actually qualifies as a "baseball town", financially, emotionally, everything, and find out which have been the baseball towns throughout history and why as well as which ones are now and why. Anybody running around this board with an open thesis topic to fill?

Handofdeath
06-26-2006, 12:59 PM
The Reds will be popular again if they continue to win. The past owners have complained about small market blah blah blahs just so they could keep extra money in their pockets, but it's all about putting a winning team on the field regardless of cost. If you put a team out there that people want to stand behind, then you will get fans and your market will increase. It isn't rocket science. Maybe now the Reds finally get it.

There is a little more to it than that. I'm going to speak as a Dallas Cowboys fan living in Lubbock, Texas. It is a fact that people will buy more stuff if the team is winning. But, here's the deal, if someone wants to sell Cowboys or Reds merchandise then that store has to have permission from the team or whoever to do so. The team gets a cut, the store gets a cut and we get stuck paying $100 for a jersey. What the Cowboys do, and other sports teams could learn from this, is have shops in malls that sell the jerseys, and the team trinkets, and autographs and such.

paulrichjr
06-26-2006, 01:09 PM
I think this is smarter than setting up a regional network that can only be seen by a small number of people. (now that everyone seems to be doing that) The Reds will not get the big dollars that the regional network will bring in but they will be the team that Ohio, Ky, TN and North Carolina sports fans will see when they turn on FSN. This will create many new Reds fans and more merchandise sales and more tickets sold.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/062606redsnotesweb.html

A 10-year deal?

Not only will FSN Ohio televise 145 of the 162 games played by the Reds next season, Fox and the Reds are close to agreement on a 10-year agreement.

Fox is anxious to make the deal, and the Reds are just as anxious to consummate the marriage. Fox lost the Cleveland Indians and dearly wants to keep the Reds. A 10-year deal for the Reds with money up front will give owner Bob Castellini some extra cash to plow into the team.

It is Castellini who wants 145 games on TV a year and is willing to do the 10-year deal if Fox will televise that many games.

KittyDuran
06-26-2006, 06:06 PM
What the Cowboys do, and other sports teams could learn from this, is have shops in malls that sell the jerseys, and the team trinkets, and autographs and such.The Indians have that... shops in the malls, IIRC about 6 around the greater Cleveland area. Even tho' Indians are really bad right now, the marketing is top-notch, and it seems that most people know the players - or at least Grady Sizemore - since I was always asked if I was related to him. Of course, it also helps to have a marketable licensed product...Forgetting the main Indians' logo [the grinning Indian], the script or typesetting of the name is very appealing. Because of that, most of the fans at the Jake had some licensed merchandise on. You don't see that much at GABP. The Reds do have a scripted "Reds" merchandise that is very nice, but it's not the official blocked letters.

OTOH, the Dayton Dragons has a very marketable logo, and higher prices, and when you're at 5/3rd Field you know you're in Dayton.

KittyDuran
06-26-2006, 06:09 PM
Cincinnati Magazine may be a subscriber only mag, or at best one that is found in a few select retailers. I happen to have a subscription. TB, if you haven't found one yet and still would like it, let me know and I'll mail you my copy.They do sell Cincinnati Magazine at Krogers and other bookstores... odd, that TB couldn't find it? I'll check the Krogers around where I work.

Doc. Scott
06-26-2006, 06:53 PM
Still not much headway being made out here.

KittyDuran
06-26-2006, 11:21 PM
They do sell Cincinnati Magazine at Krogers and other bookstores... odd, that TB couldn't find it? I'll check the Krogers around where I work.

http://www.cincinnatimagazine.com/Media/DesignSiteImages/Cover_3.jpg

George Foster
06-26-2006, 11:53 PM
Just got back from Myrtle Beach...people wearing Reds hats everywere...good feeling!

dsmith421
06-27-2006, 02:35 AM
I know this... I can get the cap. I used that situation to try to make a point, but I guess I failed.

My point is, I live in Cincinnati. Reds caps should be everywhere, but instead the pickings are scarce... and that's just wrong.

Where should they be that they aren't now? Dick's Sporting Goods always has Reds stuff. There are 3-5 sporting goods stores at every mall in the Tristate with Reds hats and jerseys. Koch's and the Pro Shop, which have myriad choices, are downtown. Basically everyone has the Internet. If someone wants a hat, shirt, etc., it takes no more than five minutes of affirmative effort to acquire one.

Granted I moved away from Cincinnati six months ago, but I don't recall there ever being any scarcity of Reds or Bengals swag.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-27-2006, 02:56 AM
There's been an Adam Dunn jersey hanging in the sports store at the Frontier Mall here in Cheyenne since opening day.

And Reds hats, while not as common as the tired Red Sox and Yankees hats, are not all that uncommon on folks.

Jpup
06-27-2006, 03:07 AM
My cable took off FSN because of "lack of quality programming" about 2 years ago. I can't wait until I move so I can get Dish.

Ltlabner
06-27-2006, 08:59 AM
It would be really interesting to learn what steps that BC is taking to expand the Reds market beyond Cincy metro. There's a lot of Reds fans in areas like Columbus, Indy, Lexington, Nashville, NC, and areas beyond. While you can't go too far out because of diminishing returns, if they could entice more fans to make the treck to Cincy for a game or two (or more) and spend those entertainment dollars here it would do wonders for attendence and ultimatley payroll.

TeamBoone
06-27-2006, 12:32 PM
Where should they be that they aren't now? Dick's Sporting Goods always has Reds stuff. There are 3-5 sporting goods stores at every mall in the Tristate with Reds hats and jerseys. Koch's and the Pro Shop, which have myriad choices, are downtown. Basically everyone has the Internet. If someone wants a hat, shirt, etc., it takes no more than five minutes of affirmative effort to acquire one.

Granted I moved away from Cincinnati six months ago, but I don't recall there ever being any scarcity of Reds or Bengals swag.

Again, that was my point... you have to go to a sporting goods store to find one. They should also be at general retail stores... K-Mart, Target, Kohl's, Wal-Mart, Biggs, Kroger, Meijer (this stores sells Reds tickets)... they should be everywhere!

Caveat Emperor
06-27-2006, 01:11 PM

I follow the unwritten rule of hat-wearing: you should never wear a hat for your city's home team while inside the city limits.

Thus, the Reds cap gets worn out when I'm up here in Toledo (or when I was down in Louisiana), but when I get back to Cincinnati it's always the Boston hat or the Sarasota Reds hat. :evil: