PDA

View Full Version : Reggie in the 300-300 Club

Cant Touch This
06-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I have always liked Reggie Sanders. Nothing was as painful to watch as his utter collapse in the 1995 postseason, but I hope now his career will be remembered more for his versatility and longevity than the choke. I remember in the early '90s thinking Reggie was going to post 1987 Eric Davis-like numbers on a consistent basis while holding down the RF position with range and a cannon. While he only put up a couple of true "moster" years, he is a player that I will always admire.

Fond memory: I attended the Reds Rally dinner at Marge's house in 1993 (I think) and Reggie was sitting alone with his wife at a table. My friend and I were sitting at an adjacent table with Hal Morris and his incredibly attractive fiance (I think they weren't married yet but I could be wrong.) After dinner, I found my way over to Reggie and he appeared genuinely pleased to talk with me. I have my fair share of photos with Reds dating back to the late 70s but my most cherished shot is one of Reggie and me, each of us with a scotch on the rocks, toasting each other's glasses with big ol' grins on our faces.

I'm not really the star-struck type, but this memory will last forever. Way to go Reggie - maybe you can play another 5 years and have a chance to enroll in the 400-400 club!

Spitball
06-24-2006, 01:09 PM
Reggie has been just good enough/reasonably priced enough to stick around. He has been an important, affordable cog on some pretty good teams in Arizona, San Fran, and St. Louis, as well as a nice, affordable stop gap on small market teams like Pittsburgh and KC.

I've always liked Reggie Sanders.

4256 Hits
06-24-2006, 01:14 PM
He has turned out to be an above avg. baseball for what is nearing two decades. Clearly he didn't have high enough peak years to be in the HofF but he is going to end up w/ some counting stats higher than some that are in it.

CrackerJack
06-24-2006, 02:53 PM
Ah yes, the next Eric Davis that never was....good guy, five tool dream for Bowden, glad he's been able to have a notable, long career. With his injury problems as a Red, never thought he'd be around nearly this long.

macro
06-25-2006, 05:20 PM
He has turned out to be an above avg. baseball for what is nearing two decades.

Wow, it doesn't seem like that long, but you're right. This is his 16th season and 15th full time. Anybody remember the "other" Reggie that debuted for the Reds in the 1991 season, Reggie Jefferson? I was really excited about both these players when they came up, and was really upset that the Indians snatched Jefferson away from the Reds. (I don't remember the specifics. Did the Reds leave him unprotected somehow?) It turns out that he had a couple of decent seasons with Boston, but that's about it.

KronoRed
06-25-2006, 05:25 PM
Reggie Jefferson
June 14, 1991: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the Cleveland Indians for Tim Costo

Good deal ;)

redsmetz
06-25-2006, 05:39 PM
Reggie Jefferson
June 14, 1991: Traded by the Cincinnati Reds to the Cleveland Indians for Tim Costo

Good deal ;)

Funny thing is, I thought this was a Bowden mistake:

The Jefferson fiasco, for instance. In 1991, Bob Quinn, then general manager of the Reds, tried to send the highly regarded prospect to the minor leagues, even though Jefferson was recovering from pneumonia, a violation of baseball's basic agreement that would have made the first baseman a free agent.

''The Reds tried to take advantage of me,'' Jefferson said at the time. ''Maybe they thought I was so dumb, I wouldn't know the rules. I guess this just shows how much they wanted me.

''To me, it looks like the whole thing boiled down to money. It would have been so easy for them to put me on the disabled list, but they were trying to save five days' pay.''

Quinn swung a last-minute deal to the Cleveland Indians for another prospect, Tim Costo, who never panned out. Jefferson eventually bloomed as a power hitter with the Boston Red Sox.

Deepred05
06-26-2006, 01:46 PM
''To me, it looks like the whole thing boiled down to money. It would have been so easy for them to put me on the disabled list, but they were trying to save five days' pay.''

Sounds about right.:confused:

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
Ahh the Marge era saving cash plan