PDA

View Full Version : How to help the wife (sports video game related)...

saboforthird
06-25-2006, 12:08 AM
My wife and I used to go back and forth, in terms of wins and losses, when playing NBA 2K6 (PS2). Even then I won more often than she did, but at least it was never a lock. I've always been able to see a play or two AHEAD of what I am currently doing, so you can imagine the advantage. :)

We realized, though, that a lot of her scoring was coming from all the fouls I was commiting. Since I am very good at stealing the ball in just about every imaginable way (in the backcourt, jumping in the lanes, double-teaming, etc.) I have learned to back off just a bit, enough to not get called for fouls but to disrupt her offensive plans.

It wouldn't really do a whole lot of good for me to just stop stealing, because that wouldn't be very realistic, and I am a very competitive person by nature. Come hard, or not at all! Without me fouling, though, she's not going to the line 40 times a game. Her problems are not just in preventing fast break after fast break, but in attempting "good" shots. I've tried to explain to her, that on defense she should just focus on staying between the ball and the basket and switch defenders constantly to stay close to the ball, and call double-teams.....and......on offense to pass the ball more often and more quickly. This would eliminate my double-teaming her and she'd have a better chance of finding the open man.

I've also suggested that she kick the ball out more often, and dish it down low even when it appears she might not have a good shot. She's started doing that more often, and her scoring has gone up. Fundamentally speaking, she's playing smarter basketball.

Still, having said that I'm so fundamentally strong with this game that I'm finding all sorts of holes in her defensive and offensive schemes, and am winning by 40-50 points (regardless of who the teams are). She has a heck of A LOT more patience than I do, because I'd be steaming out my ears if I was losing like that. Any other tips I can give her to help her get more out of the basketball experience (she loves playing the game as bad as the losses are, but it's not as fun for me) with this game? :beerme:

Johnny Footstool
06-25-2006, 01:31 AM
She doesn't want or need game tips. She loves spending time with you. Enjoy it. I would love it if my wife would play Madden or MLB 2K6 with me.

oneupper
06-25-2006, 08:25 AM
Time to have some kids, dude. They'll give a good match at NBA 2015 and start whipping your butt at 2019.

Jpup
06-26-2006, 08:54 AM
My wife and I used to go back and forth, in terms of wins and losses, when playing NBA 2K6 (PS2). Even then I won more often than she did, but at least it was never a lock. I've always been able to see a play or two AHEAD of what I am currently doing, so you can imagine the advantage. :)

We realized, though, that a lot of her scoring was coming from all the fouls I was commiting. Since I am very good at stealing the ball in just about every imaginable way (in the backcourt, jumping in the lanes, double-teaming, etc.) I have learned to back off just a bit, enough to not get called for fouls but to disrupt her offensive plans.

It wouldn't really do a whole lot of good for me to just stop stealing, because that wouldn't be very realistic, and I am a very competitive person by nature. Come hard, or not at all! Without me fouling, though, she's not going to the line 40 times a game. Her problems are not just in preventing fast break after fast break, but in attempting "good" shots. I've tried to explain to her, that on defense she should just focus on staying between the ball and the basket and switch defenders constantly to stay close to the ball, and call double-teams.....and......on offense to pass the ball more often and more quickly. This would eliminate my double-teaming her and she'd have a better chance of finding the open man.

I've also suggested that she kick the ball out more often, and dish it down low even when it appears she might not have a good shot. She's started doing that more often, and her scoring has gone up. Fundamentally speaking, she's playing smarter basketball.

Still, having said that I'm so fundamentally strong with this game that I'm finding all sorts of holes in her defensive and offensive schemes, and am winning by 40-50 points (regardless of who the teams are). She has a heck of A LOT more patience than I do, because I'd be steaming out my ears if I was losing like that. Any other tips I can give her to help her get more out of the basketball experience (she loves playing the game as bad as the losses are, but it's not as fun for me) with this game? :beerme:

find something that both of you are good at. video games and women don't mix well on the long term IMO.

RBA
06-26-2006, 10:15 AM
She probably enjoys the time with you, but in the the back of her head she probably wishes you would do something she wanted to do instead.

Myself, I stopped playing video games when I was about 15. Yeah, I still own a bunch, because my son and daughter like them. It maybe time to grow up.

Also, "The Breakup" movie has several scenes where a mid 30's character is all into video games and he has no time for her. Maybe you should take your wife to see that movie and discuss it at dinner afterwards?

westofyou
06-26-2006, 11:56 AM
she loves playing the game as bad as the losses are, but it's not as fun for me Suck it up?

Or find something else to do with her?

Either or... but remember most woman don't care for video games much alone sports, sounds to me like you're having the common woman/man compition situation, you care way more then she does, because men seem to be more interested in the result and woman the process.

On the scale of marriage problems this must be one of the least mentioned ones.

BTW I met my wife 20 years ago today.

gonelong
06-26-2006, 12:04 PM
Also, "The Breakup" movie has several scenes where a mid 30's character is all into video games and he has no time for her. Maybe you should take your wife to see that movie and discuss it at dinner afterwards?

Dude I used to work with (in his 30's) just got divorced because his wife got fed up with his video game habit.

Sad.

GL

vaticanplum
06-26-2006, 12:13 PM
BTW I met my wife 20 years ago today.

It's Derek Jeter's birthday. Congratulations to all three of you :)

I have no advice to offer on this topic, but it's giving me a good laugh.

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 12:14 PM
Dude I used to work with (in his 30's) just got divorced because his wife got fed up with his video game habit.

Sad.

GL
His parents' basement says hello. :wave:

Jpup
06-27-2006, 03:16 AM

Sad.

GL

it's sad that she left him for that. :confused: he could be out chasing women and doing drugs. That's not a good reason to leave IMO.

gonelong
06-27-2006, 10:19 AM
it's sad that she left him for that. :confused: he could be out chasing women and doing drugs. That's not a good reason to leave IMO.

From what I could gather he'd get home from work about 6:00 PM and play various games until 2:00 AM or so. Every day.

It's sad that he gave up on being a human being.

GL

ochre
06-27-2006, 11:56 AM
From what I could gather he'd get home from work about 6:00 PM and play various games until 2:00 AM or so. Every day.

GL
which MMPORPG was it? WoW? EQ? EQ2? :)

gonelong
06-27-2006, 01:28 PM

I don't really know. I have heard a few of my buddies refer to Everquest as "Evercrack" though. :eek:

I quit playing video games in earnest around the time of Super Techmo Bowl 2. I liked playing a little too much for my own comfort. I can't image what kind of addicted I would have been to any of the above games if they would have been around when I was 13-15.

GL

Jpup
06-28-2006, 08:50 AM

GL

she picked him. I'm sure this didn't just start after they got married. I have a huge problem with people getting married expecting the other person to change. I've played video games since I was about 4 or 5 years old. I continue to play them to this day. I don't expect to ever stop playing them on some level. My fiance knows this and that is part of what makes me, me.

People don't change. People expectations of them do. I agree that, at some point, you have to accept the responsibility of being an adult. Playing video game doesn't make you any less of a man/woman. Neglecting your responsibilities to your families do. She should have thought about that before she married him, that's all I am saying.

It wouldn't be any different that him going out and playing golf every day instead of working. The golf isn't the problem, not going to work because of playing golf would be. I suspect that is the problem.

If she is leaving him because he isn't taking care of his responsiblities, that is another story, although I still don't agree since he was likely the same way before they were married. If she is leaving because she thinks it's childish that he plays games, well she is childish.

There are ways to work around this besides saying, "quit playing games or I'm out." I don't know that is the case, but that is just my point of view. I'm sorry to hear that something like this would come between two people and their promise to one another.

gonelong
06-28-2006, 11:09 AM
she picked him. I'm sure this didn't just start after they got married. I have a huge problem with people getting married expecting the other person to change. I've played video games since I was about 4 or 5 years old. I continue to play them to this day. I don't expect to ever stop playing them on some level. My fiance knows this and that is part of what makes me, me.

In his case, I don't really remember him talking about video games at all for the first 3-4 years I knew him. I think he picked this hobby up well after they were married.

I don't think the fact that he was playing video games was the issue, I think the fact that he was playing them at every waking moment was the problem.

GL

RedsManRick
06-28-2006, 11:56 AM

I'll just ignore this thread and pretend like I'm not dealing with a WoW addiction...

westofyou
06-28-2006, 12:06 PM
I'll just ignore this thread and pretend like I'm not dealing with a WoW addiction...
My brother-in-law is addicted to that, plays online with a bunch of guys all over the country... all weekend.

By sister just loves it..................

cincyinco
06-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Its not the video games that get me in trouble..

Its this damn website and the wonderful ol' sport of baseball!!!!

REDREAD
06-30-2006, 09:41 AM
Any other tips I can give her to help her get more out of the basketball experience (she loves playing the game as bad as the losses are, but it's not as fun for me) with this game? :beerme:

All I can suggest is maybe trying a new game that you can play together. BTW, I think that's great that she has the interest to play with you.