PDA

View Full Version : Are Strikeouts A Big Deal? 2006 REDS

RedFanAlways1966
06-25-2006, 04:54 PM
Okay... I've decided to walk on the thin-ice known as the importance/non-importance of the strikeout. :devil:

Some do not like certain players (no names, please) b/c they strikeout too much. Some do not like it when the REDS strikeout too much as a team. Some say the strikeout is just another way of making an out like a popup, a groundout, a flyball, etc.

2006 REDS
Strikeout More Than Oppo. In Game: 24-16 (.600) :)
Strikeout Less Than Oppo. In Game: 13-16 (.448) :eek:
Strikeout Same as the Oppo. In Game: 4-3 (.571)

Just another "freaky stat" by a team known for bucking stat trends (see their run diff. compared to their record right now)? Or is it true that the strikeout might be an overrated stat?

Should I, as a die-hard REDS fan, hope the REDS strikeout more than their opponent... b/c they will have a much better chance of winning if they do and are more than likely to lose if they don't?

westofyou
06-25-2006, 05:12 PM
Okay... I've decided to walk on the thin-ice known as the importance/non-importance of the strikeout. :devil:

Some do not like certain players (no names, please) b/c they strikeout too much. Some do not like it when the REDS strikeout too much as a team. Some say the strikeout is just another way of making an out like a popup, a groundout, a flyball, etc.

2006 REDS

Just another "freaky stat" by a team known for bucking stat trends (see their run diff. compared to their record right now)? Or is it true that the strikeout might be an overrated stat?

Should I, as a die-hard REDS fan, hope the REDS strikeout more than their opponent... b/c they will have a much better chance of winning if they do and are more than likely to lose if they don't?

What about walks? can we a get a search with "Walks more" and maybe one with Strike Outs more but also walks more?

RedFanAlways1966
06-25-2006, 06:02 PM
Sure can, woy.

2006 REDS
Walk More Than Oppo. In Game: 30-16 (.652) wow
Walk Less Than Oppo. In Game: 5-13 (.278) double wow
Walk Same as the Oppo. In Game: 6-6 (.500)

2006 REDS when they walk and strikeout more than the opponent in a game are 20-10 (.667).

Reds Nd2
06-25-2006, 06:48 PM
2006 REDS

Just a freaky stat that, while interesting, doesn't really tell us anything. Before todays game, the Reds had a Delta of 3.1 games using the Pythagenport formula. (http://baseballprospectus.com/glossary/index.php?mode=viewstat&stat=136) Which just means their actual record is 3 games better than their run differential would indicate. Not that big of a difference actually, and not large enough to assume they are bucking any trends. I wouldn't say that strikeouts are overrated but then again, I wouldn't attempt to use them solely as a means for judging the contributions, or lack thereof, of any player.

As a die-hard Reds fan, you should hope the Reds do a better job than their opposition of avoiding all outs. The stats you've provided really only show the outcome of the situations. They don't show a causation for more strikeouts leading to wins for the Reds.

RedFanAlways1966
06-26-2006, 08:04 AM
Just a freaky stat that, while interesting, doesn't really tell us anything.

As a die-hard Reds fan, you should hope the Reds do a better job than their opposition of avoiding all outs. The stats you've provided really only show the outcome of the situations. They don't show a causation for more strikeouts leading to wins for the Reds.

I agree and disagree, Nd2. I agree that more strikeouts are not a reason for more wins. However, I disagree that this does not show me something. It shows me that people who moan/groan/complain about too many strikeouts do not have much ground to stand on these days in REDS country. I hear the complaints from time to time here at RZ.

Are strikeouts bad? Sure. Are groundouts bad? Sure. Are flyouts bad? Sure. Are popouts bad? Sure. Are line-drives to an infielder bad? Sure. They are all called outs. Each team gets anywhere from 12 to 27 of them in a single game. Yes, I know about the sac. fly and the grounder to the right side (if the infield is back) when a guy is on third w/ less than 2 outs. Very seldom does a K in this situation cost a team a game. Very-very seldom.

terminator
06-26-2006, 08:58 AM
Maybe it just means that the Reds hit fastball (i.e. strikeout) pitchers best. The strikeout pitchers still get their strikeouts, but we get a few home runs.