PDA

View Full Version : Minor league manager has a meltdown

Reds Fanatic
06-26-2006, 01:19 AM
Click on this link and then click on the video on the right side of the screen. This one of the bigger meltdowns a manager has ever had.

http://sports.espn.go.com/minorlbb/news/story?id=2500470

Minor league manager Joe Mikulik had a major league meltdown.

To say Mikulik -- skipper for the Asheville (N.C.) Tourists -- lost his cool Sunday in a Class A South Atlantic League baseball game against the Lexington (Ky.) Legends would be a gross understatement.

It all started in the fifth inning when Asheville pitcher Brandon Durden tried to pick off Koby Clemens -- son of Roger Clemens -- at second base inside Lexington's Applebee's Park. Clemens was called safe, prompting Mikulik to charge toward first-base umpire Andy Russell to protest the call.

Protest he did.

The agitated Mikulik went nose-to-nose with Russell, who showed considerable restraint before tossing the manager. Even after his ejection, Mikulik demonstrated a headfirst slide into second before he picked up the base and flung it toward the outfield. On his walk toward the visitors' dugout, Mikulik stopped at the pitcher's mound, picked up the rosin bag and hurled it toward first base.

Doing his best Lou Piniella impersonation -- with The Righteous Brothers' "You've Lost That Loving Feeling" blaring over the PA system -- Mikulik then stopped at home plate and kicked dirt on the plate and on the heels of retreating umpire Stephen Barga.

And moments after Mikulik disappeared into the dugout, bats came flying onto the field -- much to the concern of a startled batboy standing nearby.

Mikulik wasn't done yet. He walked back to plate umpire Barga, emptied a water bottle onto the plate and then finished the tirade by spiking the bottle into the dirt -- all the while arguing the call.

As a chorus of boos rang through the stadium, Mikulik began his slow march off the field to the tune of Ray Charles' "Hit The Road Jack." Mikulik untucked his shirt and eventually disappeared through a door in the right-field wall.

Oh, the Tourists lost 5-2.

Razor Shines
06-26-2006, 01:31 AM
That was freaking great!! He slid into 2nd, what a nut! I umpire and I would love it if a coach went that nuts. Because no one likes getting yelled at, but when it gets that ridiculous, you probably just start laughing and not care cause he's just making a fool out of himself.

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 01:39 AM
Hire him :lol:

Maldez
06-26-2006, 01:50 AM
That'll get him a major league job.

cincinnati chili
06-26-2006, 02:10 AM
I can't get the video to work. I only get audio.

Razor Shines
06-26-2006, 02:33 AM
I can't get the video to work. I only get audio.
That's unfortunate, after seeing the video I'd say not seeing it would be one of the biggest disapointments of my life.

cincinnati chili
06-26-2006, 02:49 AM
I got it to work. I had Macromedia 7 instead of 8.

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 03:07 AM
I like when he spikes the water bottle

Jpup
06-26-2006, 03:25 AM
:lol: I wonder if it was staged? They do silly stuff in the minors.;)

CTA513
06-26-2006, 03:31 AM
White Sox just hired him to be Ozzie Guillens assistant manager.

:eek:

;)

Buckeye33
06-26-2006, 03:36 AM
Yeah, the funniest part is when he crouches down behind the plate after cleaning it off with water and makes a strike call and then slams the water bottle down on homeplate.

Funny stuff.

Blimpie
06-26-2006, 09:09 AM
Would anyone have blamed EITHER umpire if they had sucker-punched that guy in the mellon?

RFS62
06-26-2006, 09:20 AM
The umps showed remarkable restraint.

ESPN is playing it to death.

MrCinatit
06-26-2006, 09:26 AM
it's like the guy tried to reinact every classic argument (Weaver, Pinella, McClenndon, et al) in history...and added a couple of his own. wow.

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 09:37 AM
What's the big deal, he was just cleaning the plate off for those guys.

redsmetz
06-26-2006, 01:11 PM
You know when I read about this in the paper this morning, all I could think about is what does this show kids who attend a game? When I was still playing softball, I went ballistic on an ump (nothing physical) and when I walked back into our bench after the inning, my son (who was about 8-10 years old then) said "Way to go, Dad!". That jarred me and I told him, no it's wasn't the way to go, that I should have controlled my temper. After the game, I took my son with me and went over to the umpire and apologized to him. He said the usual, "Don't worry about it, man" or whatever and I told him that know, my son needed to see me apologize for my behaviour. I've never forgotten that lesson and tried to remember there are kids watching games and we're the grown-ups.

This guy was completely out of control and my hat is off to the umpires for their complete control. I hope whatever team he's employed by suspends him and lets him think about the product they're putting on there. I didn't find it very entertaining.

CySeymour
06-26-2006, 01:15 PM
You know when I read about this in the paper this morning, all I could think about is what does this show kids who attend a game? When I was still playing softball, I went ballistic on an ump (nothing physical) and when I walked back into our bench after the inning, my son (who was about 8-10 years old then) said "Way to go, Dad!". That jarred me and I told him, no it's wasn't the way to go, that I should have controlled my temper. After the game, I took my son with me and went over to the umpire and apologized to him. He said the usual, "Don't worry about it, man" or whatever and I told him that know, my son needed to see me apologize for my behaviour. I've never forgotten that lesson and tried to remember there are kids watching games and we're the grown-ups.

This guy was completely out of control and my hat is off to the umpires for their complete control. I hope whatever team he's employed by suspends him and lets him think about the product they're putting on there. I didn't find it very entertaining.

I have to agree with you. Although it is entertaining to watch, it shows zero sportsmanship. I say then even at the big league level when I see a manager going balistic.

Team Clark
06-26-2006, 01:19 PM
That has to be in the top 3 of all time.

Razor Shines
06-26-2006, 01:28 PM

I agree. On the weekends I do games at a little league ages anywhere from 12-17 and every once in a while I'll get a coach that just goes completely nuts. And I've been calling games for a while now and have learned that reacting to them never helps. So usually I'll wait for him to finish and then calmly say "Please go back to your dugout, you're setting a horrible example for all of these kids watching you, do you want them to think it's ok to throw a big fit everytime something doesn't go their way." or something to that effect, and most of the time they end up appologizing after the game, because MOST people, not all, are reasonable people.

Deepred05
06-26-2006, 01:31 PM

Class move brother,, class

Razor Shines
06-26-2006, 01:37 PM

And I didn't mean anything negative to you. To me it's a different story when it's an adults game, I was talking about the coaches who do it at kids games. You felt convicted by the sight of your son, and I understand that, but what you did wouldn't have bothered me so much if I was the ump.

smith288
06-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Attendance trends for the 2006 season will show a sharp jump after 6/25/2005 date.

Id say the Manager did good in terms of home attendance. Bad in setting an example to kids.

Reds Nd2
06-26-2006, 06:00 PM
MLB has put up a link to the entire tirade. Much better than the ESPN video.

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060626&content_id=1523947&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

BoydsOfSummer
06-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Somewhere Earl Weaver sheds a tear. Wow,meltdown,and how.

Redhook
06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
That's unfortunate, after seeing the video I'd say not seeing it would be one of the biggest disapointments of my life.

:laugh: For some reason, this comment made me laugh out loud. I just watched the video for the third time and laughed the entire time. When he goes "Pete Rose" style into second base, that's classic. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. He obviously went way over the top and deserves a hefty suspension, but I still found it very humorous.

CrackerJack
06-26-2006, 08:35 PM
This man has no remorse for his actions apparently:

"This ain't my first rodeo. ... I didn't touch anybody. I never bumped anybody. ... I actually cleaned home plate for them, so they should give me a tip for that."

That is one angry man!