PDA

View Full Version : Franco Praises Pete

Mutaman
06-26-2006, 12:26 AM
In an interview in today's New York Post, the first question asked 47 year old Met Julio Franco was what would he do if he was baseball commissioner. Franco answered :

"Put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame. He made a big mistake, he admitted it, but he did more good to the sport than damage."

Franco was then asked what Rose was like as a teammate (on the 1982 Phils).
Franco responded: "Great teacher, great man".

Cedric
06-26-2006, 12:31 AM
In an interview in today's New York Post, the first question asked 47 year old Met Julio Franco was what would he do if he was baseball commissioner. Franco answered :

"Put Pete Rose in the Hall of Fame. He made a big mistake, he admitted it, but he did more good to the sport than damage."

Franco was then asked what Rose was like as a teammate (on the 1982 Phils).
Franco responded: "Great teacher, great man".

Sad that this would probably be mocked by most people. It's very un cool to say anything positive about Pete Rose now. Five years ago it was the big rage.

vaticanplum
06-26-2006, 12:32 AM
I really can't think of two baseball players more dissimilar in temperament -- or at least public persona -- than Pete Rose and Julio Franco.

cincinnati chili
06-26-2006, 01:49 AM
I think Julio is feeling guilty about making that deal with the devil years ago.

Good grief he's old. 82 Phillies? Two guys from that team are already dead, and just about everyone else in in their 60's or late fifties.

SunDeck
06-26-2006, 01:05 PM
He's in such good shape, Julio could probably play until he's in his late 40's...:mooner:

oneupper
06-26-2006, 01:23 PM
Julio Franco cannot retire... I won't allow it.

He's the only active MLB player who is older than I am.

registerthis
06-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Franco's also 4 for 4 in SBs this year, and getting on base at a .375 clip. That's sick.

I've come to guage my age based upon the number of players still active when I began collecting baseball cards, which was 1987. I count four--Bonds, Clemens, Franco and Moyer. I could be missing a couple, though.

Sadly, Junior Ortiz and Wade Rowdon are no longer playing, which is unfortunate because I have about 2,000 cards of each player from my '87 Topps set.

savafan
06-26-2006, 01:39 PM
I've come to guage my age based upon the number of players still active when I began collecting baseball cards, which was 1987. I count four--Bonds, Clemens, Franco and Moyer. I could be missing a couple, though.

Maddux?

Reds Nd2
06-26-2006, 02:10 PM
Julio Franco cannot retire... I won't allow it.

He's the only active MLB player who is older than I am.

I was watching a Cubs game last season and they were talking about Greg Maddux. I can't remember what they said now (old timers disease, no doubt), but I was like "The dude's older than dirt". A quick check of his bio revealed the very unpleasant fact that I'm a year older than he is. :(

Rojo
06-26-2006, 02:41 PM

Terry Mulholland.

registerthis
06-26-2006, 02:48 PM
OK, I'm feeling better now, there's 6.

Although you could make the argument that the 1987 Bonds and the 2006 Bonds aren't the same player.

StillFunkyB
06-26-2006, 02:53 PM
Franco's also 4 for 4 in SBs this year, and getting on base at a .375 clip. That's sick.

Sadly, Junior Ortiz and Wade Rowdon are no longer playing, which is unfortunate because I have about 2,000 cards of each player from my '87 Topps set.

You said Junior Ortiz.

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 04:08 PM
I was watching a Cubs game last season and they were talking about Greg Maddux. I can't remember what they said now (old timers disease, no doubt), but I was like "The dude's older than dirt". A quick check of his bio revealed the very unpleasant fact that I'm a year older than he is. :(
So how's it feel being older then dirt? ;)

Reds Nd2
06-26-2006, 04:28 PM
So how's it feel being older then dirt? ;)

I aint as good as I once was
but I'm as good once as I ever was

RFS62
06-26-2006, 05:57 PM
He's in such good shape, Julio could probably play until he's in his late 40's...:mooner:

In dog years.