PDA

View Full Version : Choose your hitter...

Ltlabner
06-26-2006, 12:09 PM
Here's one that I hope sparks some great discussion over the phyilsophy of building a line up.

I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so bare with me. You are the NL manager and the GM comes into your office. You have the choice of trading for a consistant hitter who always puts up a high average, gets on base and constantly puts the ball into play. The other player you could trade for is a pure slugger who can hit the ball with power but can be streaky and K's a fair amount.

I know it might be hard to answer this without considering the rest of the line up, but the heart of the question is what do you like better in a hitter....consistancy or power?

Razor Shines
06-26-2006, 12:15 PM
Here's one that I hope sparks some great discussion over the phyilsophy of building a line up.

I'm not quite sure how to phrase the question so bare with me. You are the NL manager and the GM comes into your office. You have the choice of trading for a consistant hitter who always puts up a high average, gets on base and constantly puts the ball into play. The other player you could trade for is a pure slugger who can hit the ball with power but can be streaky and K's a fair amount.

I know it might be hard to answer this without considering the rest of the line up, but the heart of the question is what do you like better in a hitter....consistancy or power?
I'm new here and even I have a good idea of how this thread is going to end up. You could probably just change it now to Dunn vs. Ichiro. Yes I have been sneaking over to the ORG, but I can only do 15 mins at a time or my eyes start to burn.

Ltlabner
06-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I'm new here and even I have a good idea of how this thread is going to end up. You could probably just change it now to Dunn vs. Ichiro. Yes I have been sneaking over to the ORG, but I can only do 15 mins at a time or my eyes start to burn.

You know, because some can't control their never ending Dunn vs anti-Dunn arguments shouldn't mean that the rest of us can't have reasoned debates and discussions about baseball. Just my $.02.

pedro
06-26-2006, 12:37 PM

That's somewhat of a fallacious argument IMO because it assumes somehow that the BA driven player will be more consistent than a power hitter when in fact it is players who have good plate discipline and get the most walks who are more likely to provide consistent benefit to a teams offense. Power isn't necessarily an indicator of whether or not a player will be streaky or not.

TMBS, I think it is always nice to have a player who isn't very streaky, although that it largely a function of an individual player, not the type of hitter they are.

Tony Gwynn was an example of a player who was extemely consistent as I remember hearing at one point about 12 years into career that he had never gone more than 13 ab's w/out a hit. But he did that b/c he was Tony Gwynn, not because he was a high average hitter.

Ltlabner
06-26-2006, 12:56 PM
That's somewhat of a fallacious argument IMO because it assumes somehow that the BA driven player will be more consistent than a power hitter when in fact it is players who have good plate discipline and get the most walks who are more likely to provide consistent benefit to a teams offense. Power isn't necessarily an indicator of whether or not a player will be streaky or not.

Very true...this is just a hypothetical situation with two "established players" who have proven to hit as I described. But yes, I agree with you totally.

Handofdeath
06-26-2006, 02:04 PM
That's somewhat of a fallacious argument IMO because it assumes somehow that the BA driven player will be more consistent than a power hitter when in fact it is players who have good plate discipline and get the most walks who are more likely to provide consistent benefit to a teams offense. So, a player like Morgan Ensberg or Nick Johnson is someone you would like to have on the Reds?

pedro
06-26-2006, 02:07 PM
So, a player like Morgan Ensberg or Nick Johnson is someone you would like to have on the Reds?

sure. they're both nice players.

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 02:29 PM
Can I choose Albert Pujols?

edabbs44
06-26-2006, 02:37 PM
Can I choose Albert Pujols?
Sure, but you have to take then HGH rumors with him.:D

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 02:41 PM
Sure, but you have to take then HGH rumors with him.:D
Yes... and yes.

UPRedsFan
06-26-2006, 02:55 PM
It's all relative to the make up of the rest of your line up. If I'm Narron, I take the consistent high average, OBP guy. If I'm the Reds of the early 80's I'd take the power guy.