PDA

View Full Version : Realistically, how much longer can Barry carry on?

WMR
06-26-2006, 01:24 PM
He barely made it around the basepaths last night, left the game with left knee soreness. His body is breaking down before our eyes. I haven't watched much Giant baseball, but he's gotta be laboring badly out there in LF.

I heard some pundits predict his retirement before this season finishes.

I wonder how long he will keep going.

If he did leave the Giants, would an AL team be willing to take on Barry's baggage? Barry 2-3 years ago, no question they would, in my mind, but the Barry of 2006? I'm not so sure.

registerthis
06-26-2006, 01:28 PM
If Barry's willing to soldier on, my guess is there will always be a team interested in taking him. He's an attraction by himself, and if he thinks that he has a shot at catching Aaron, some team would be willing to pay him to do it in their uniform.

pedro
06-26-2006, 01:35 PM
Apparently his agent has made overures to the Mariners that he'd like to play for them next year.

vaticanplum
06-26-2006, 01:40 PM
Apparently his agent has made overures to the Mariners that he'd like to play for them next year.

Seattle: possibly the only MLB city with fans less suited to Barry Bonds than San Francisco. theoretically, of course -- I know that San Francisco is largely very fond of him.

I think registerthis is probably right, and it makes me a little sad.

Red Leader
06-26-2006, 01:41 PM

His agent also said earlier this year that he didn't see any reason that Barry couldn't play through at least 2008... :rolleyes:

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 04:09 PM
He'll play till he's 90 with no legs if it means catching Aaron

Jpup
06-27-2006, 06:23 AM
I think this year will be his last and we probably won't ever hear much from him for, at least, 5 years when he is inducted to the Hall of Fame.

RedsBaron
06-27-2006, 06:32 AM
This thread reminded me that the Boston Braves signed a 40 year old Babe Ruth solely as a gate attraction in 1935. While the Babe still had some power, his legs were gone, and he hit .181 that season before quitting mid-year.

redsrule2500
06-27-2006, 09:13 AM
I'm hoping for at most this year and that's it.

RedsManRick
06-27-2006, 09:48 AM
I can't imagine he plays beyond this year. At this rate, I'd be shocked if he got another 150 AB. He's going to be crippled for life if he doesn't give it up and take care of himself. Not that I see him aging gracefully...

Red Leader
06-27-2006, 09:50 AM
I'd be willing to bet that if we started a national petition calling for his retirement the next time he goes on the DL, or at the end of the season, which ever comes first, that'd we'd be able to come up with enough donations to pay for a "severance package" for him to retire this year, whether he broke the record or not.

Not that I'd want to start anything like that and give money to a player that already has millions or anything...

Heath
06-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Seattle or the Los Angeles Angels will get him, IMO.

There is always a market for Barry Bonds.

registerthis
06-27-2006, 01:40 PM
Not that I see him aging gracefully...

The last couple of years have been about as un-graceful of an aging process as you're likely to witness.

KronoRed
06-27-2006, 03:34 PM
I'd be willing to bet that if we started a national petition calling for his retirement the next time he goes on the DL, or at the end of the season, which ever comes first, that'd we'd be able to come up with enough donations to pay for a "severance package" for him to retire this year, whether he broke the record or not.

Not that I'd want to start anything like that and give money to a player that already has millions or anything...
He'd get offended by that and play longer :lol:

Reds4Life
06-27-2006, 04:27 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if Barry cuts some sort of deal with MLB to retire in exchange for them dropping their investigation into his steroid use. Bud is enough of a wimp to cut such a deal too.

RFS62
06-27-2006, 05:06 PM
I wouldn't be suprised if Barry cuts some sort of deal with MLB to retire in exchange for them dropping their investigation into his steroid use. Bud is enough of a wimp to cut such a deal too.

MLB's investigation is the least of his worries.

Reds4Life
06-27-2006, 05:18 PM
MLB's investigation is the least of his worries.

The Fed investigation isn't going anywhere, perjury is nearly impossible to prove. If he gets charged the chances of getting a conviction are slim to none.

Matt700wlw
06-27-2006, 06:35 PM
He'll play till he's 90 with no legs if it means catching Aaron

Nah...Aaron's black.

;)

REDJAKE
06-27-2006, 07:23 PM
who cares???

KronoRed
06-27-2006, 09:31 PM
Nah...Aaron's black.

;)
Yeah but Barry is all about Barry..he wants to be num 1

LINEDRIVER
06-27-2006, 10:12 PM
This thread reminded me that the Boston Braves signed a 40 year old Babe Ruth solely as a gate attraction in 1935. While the Babe still had some power, his legs were gone, and he hit .181 that season before quitting mid-year.

May 25, 1935 … Onetime Yankees’ great, Babe Ruth, now a 40-year-old part-timer with the National League’s Boston Braves, belts 3 homers among his four hits on the day against the Pirates at Pittsburgh’s Forbes Field. Ruth’s seventh-inning blast is a monstrous 600 foot homer that clears the massive right field grandstand and lands in a lot beyond the ballpark. The impressive clout is Ruth’s 714th career homer and will prove to be the final four-bagger of his 22-year career.

Pirates’ pitcher Guy Bush, who served up Ruth’s 600 foot shot, later recalled Ruth’s last blast: “I never saw a ball hit so hard before or since. He was old and fat, but he still had that great swing. I can’t forget the last one he hit off me. It’s probably still going.”

Newport Red
06-27-2006, 10:28 PM
Yeah but Barry is all about Barry..he wants to be num 1

Best player to never win a World Series ring.

vaticanplum
06-27-2006, 10:39 PM
Best player to never win a World Series ring.

Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, and Ernie Banks all say hello.

Jpup
06-28-2006, 06:37 AM
Ted Williams, Ty Cobb, and Ernie Banks all say hello.

I wouldn't put Banks in the discussion. I'd take Barry at his best over anyone that I ever watched, although, I never watched Williams, Cobb, or Banks. :)

RedsBaron
06-28-2006, 06:42 AM
I wouldn't put Banks in the discussion. I'd take Barry at his best over anyone that I ever watched, although, I never watched Williams, Cobb, or Banks. :)
I wonder how good Teddy Ballgame or the Georgia Peach would've been had Balco been there to give them a boost.

Jpup
06-28-2006, 06:45 AM
I wonder how good Teddy Ballgame or the Georgia Peach would've been had Balco been there to give them a boost.

dunno? Barry was a great player before all the steroid talk.

registerthis
06-28-2006, 10:02 AM

He was, and that's the true shame of this whole debacle. Had he followed a "normal" career path he would have finished with 500-600 HRs, 400+ SBs, numerous gold gloves, and quite possibly first ballot induction into the HoF.

He simply wanted to be remembered as THE best, rather than ONE OF THE best, and that was his downfall. Although how history will remember him 50 years from now is anyone's guess.

vaticanplum
06-28-2006, 10:45 AM

I much preferred Barry the ballplayer before he became Barry the home run king. I really think that you may have to sell your soul to have the kind of success he did. Because if you're a true ballplayer, and you love playing the game -- and I have to believe he did at some point -- then he was a great, classic ballplayer, and to turn into what he did had to be SOLELY because of the adulation, because that's what the public wanted at the time. If the public desire at that time had been for players who hit only singles and stole a lot of bases, he would have found that drug and taken it. Whatever his own desires regarding the sport were, his desire for fame won out above all of them. That is a soulless decision.