PDA

View Full Version : The Twins, the Reds and scrappy vets

flyer85
06-26-2006, 03:19 PM
Seeing as the Reds GM came from there and the manager has a love for scrappy veteran types.

The Twins this year have given
White 181 ABs .425 OPS
Batisita 178 ABs .690 OPS
Ford 170 ABs .596 OPS
Castro 156 ABs .565 OPS
They traded for Castillo and his .679 OPS

They are also paying Hunter and his career .778 OPS $11M this year and are considering picking up a $12M option for next year. He does have a current .340OBP which would be a career high.

However, they recently started winning after White, Batista and Castro finally were sent away and the PT went to the likes of Cuddyer(.882), Bartlett(.928) and Kubel(839). Unfortunately they likely dug to big of a hole to catch either the Tigers or White Sox mainly due to their man love for those scrappy vets.

The Reds to this point haven't paid much of a price for using their scrappy vets(Aurilia, Hatteberg, McCracken, Castro) too much but they may well do that before the season the season is over. I am hoping that the GM has watched the Twins and maybe learned a valuable lesson.

For the Twins it will be interesting to see what kind of PT Sierra and Stewart get and will it be at the expense of guys like Kubel and Cuddyer.

Reds Nd2
06-26-2006, 03:43 PM
It will be interesting to see who Krivsky mines from the Rule V draft this season.

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 04:04 PM
I hope the plan isn't to copy THAT part of the Twins blue print

registerthis
06-26-2006, 04:06 PM
I hope the plan isn't to copy THAT part of the Twins blue print

No but the winning records, division titles and playoff appearances of the last 5 years wouldn't be a bad thing to try to emulate.

IslandRed
06-26-2006, 04:28 PM
The Twins have done a great job of developing players but seem to have patience issues with breaking them into the major-league lineup. That's not a new thing for them. But the parallel between them and us (this year) is pretty weak. We don't really have anyone being blocked but Denorfia, and that's only from a bench role. They let Brandon Phillips play, Encarnacion's kept his job despite a high error rate... on the debit side there's Juan Castro. But if it was just about being a veteran, Tony Womack wouldn't have been sent down the road early on. Although I disagreed with picking up Castro as opposed to the internal cheaper options for the defensive-replacement spot Krivsky wanted, I can live with scrappy-vet love as long as it's confined to the end of the bench and not inflicted on the starting lineup.

membengal
06-26-2006, 04:58 PM
Ron Gardenhire says hi. He is the source of much of their "patience issues". If they miss the playoffs this year (and, after winning 12 of 13 and making up no ground to remain 11 out, I bet they will), a lot of the blame will lie at his feet for foisting the execreble Kyle Lohse and Carlos Silva on his fanbase while keeping Francisco Liriano in mothballs in long relief for two months. Flyer has already highlighted the "veteran" (read: "crappy") bats that blocked younger better options in Minny this year for two months, and Gardenhire owns all sorts of blame. That worries me for this club, if WK is equally yielding to JN's desire for "veteran" "stability" over actual production from younger players.

RANDY IN INDY
06-26-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't care if they are young or old, as long as they produce winning.;)

membengal
06-26-2006, 05:21 PM
Well, in Minny's case, they were NOT producing winning, but were stayed with just long enough to see the division and Wild Card get within shouting distance of slipping away. That's less than cool.