PDA

View Full Version : Possible New MLB TV Contract including shocker

timmario66
06-26-2006, 03:27 PM
Per Lance's blog:

Wow....what I'm told this afternoon
MLB TV CONTRACT: 2007 - 2013

FOX: 26 SATURDAY BASEBALL WEEKS (WHOLE SEASON NOW)
ALL-STAR GAME ALL 7 SEASONS
1 LCS ALL 7 SEASONS
WORLD SERIES ALL 7 SEASONS

TURNER: ALL DIVISION SERIES GAMES (2007 - 2013) Looks like TNT will be the outlet.
1 LCS ALL 7 SEASONS

ESPN GETS SHUTOUT OF ALL POSTSEASON PLAY!

StillFunkyB
06-26-2006, 03:30 PM
Thanks for posting, however I could care less about MLB's TV anything until they fix the rediculous black-out rules.

smith288
06-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Figures... ESPNHD becomes standard on Insight (at least i think so, It just started working out of the blue) and I wont be seeing games on it now.

Hopefully I will have free TNT-HD by then

Joseph
06-26-2006, 03:35 PM
Can't disagree with you there Funky, but I'm glad to see ESPN losing rights to the post season.

savafan
06-26-2006, 03:40 PM
Tnt?

flyer85
06-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Thanks for posting, however I could care less about MLB's TV anything until they fix the rediculous black-out rules.they don't need to wait for a new TV deal to fix the blackout rules, they could address that whenever they want.

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Rather see ESPN over TNT

RFS62
06-26-2006, 04:16 PM
Rather see ESPN over TNT

Hate to lose Morgan and Miller, but if I never have to listen to Sutcliff and Boomer again, it's a good thing.

crazybob60
06-26-2006, 04:21 PM
So no more Sunday night baseball? It looks as if this is just on Saturdays not Sundays or have I read this incorrectly?

vaticanplum
06-26-2006, 04:25 PM
TURNER: ALL DIVISION SERIES GAMES (2007 - 2013) Looks like TNT will be the outlet.
1 LCS ALL 7 SEASONS

For the love of God, the entire postseason should be on network TV. Period. :bang:

Heath
06-26-2006, 04:40 PM
1 LCS ALL 7 SEASONS

For the love of God, the entire postseason should be on network TV. Period. :bang:

Spoken like a gal who doesn't have cable :D

I do agree with the above. There are actually some places in the world where cable isn't an option - though there is satellite.

With the MLB package - anybody can get any game. Unless the blackout rules are changed.

smith288
06-26-2006, 04:45 PM
Spoken like a gal who doesn't have cable :D

I do agree with the above. There are actually some places in the world where cable isn't an option - though there is satellite.

With the MLB package - anybody can get any game. Unless the blackout rules are changed.
I cant get a satellite...but I can get a dish. ;)

dabvu2498
06-26-2006, 04:46 PM
I cant get a satellite...but I can get a dish. ;)
Will your remote work with that???

smith288
06-26-2006, 04:55 PM
Will your remote work with that???
Chances are..........

membengal
06-26-2006, 05:01 PM
Does ESPN retain rights to some games during the regular season? Surely MLB has not bargained for just 26 Saturday games on Fox with division playoff games on TBS/TNT and taken all of the other ESPN coverage away, have they?

Handofdeath
06-26-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm glad to see this happening. ESPN has had too much of a monopoly on the sports we watch. They have the NFL, NBA, MLB, and do you have any idea how many of the College Bowl games they telecast? They used to be young, fresh, and different and now they are old and sad.

vaticanplum
06-26-2006, 05:09 PM

It's true.

The whole principle of the thing just bothers me. The regular season is one thing, I suppose, but it is inherently bizarre to me that major sporting events can be available only on cable. The World Series, the Superbowl, the Stanley Cup, the World Cup, the Olympics...these should all be on network television. On a very personal, unbackable level, I feel that this caters to people who a) can afford cable, and b) are willing to make television a central part of their household. Until cable channels are available individually, if you want your kids to be able to watch the LCS, you have to be willing to allow them to have the option of sitting down and watching 100 other programs at any given time a day. Obviously, this is something in parents' control, not the responsiblity of the cable company, but it's a mentality that I hate. I don't put the LCS on the same level as the Lifetime movie of the week. The former is something that should be available to any American with a TV, that any kid should be able to watch. This is about as patriotic as I ever get.

Unassisted
06-26-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks for posting, however I could care less about MLB's TV anything until they fix the rediculous black-out rules.Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen. The bigger the money in these deals, the more willing that MLB will be to apply whatever stringent blackout rules the winning bidder wants to have applied. Since the deal includes more games, you can expect those nets are paying more money and thus demanding more blackouts.

Reds Fanatic
06-26-2006, 05:30 PM
Does ESPN retain rights to some games during the regular season? Surely MLB has not bargained for just 26 Saturday games on Fox with division playoff games on TBS/TNT and taken all of the other ESPN coverage away, have they?
ESPN just signed an 8 year contract last year. So they will still have the regular season this would just take them out of the postseason.