PDA

View Full Version : Would you do Kearns for Philip Hughes?

Spitball
06-26-2006, 06:24 PM
I understand the Yankees are considering sending Philip Hughes, their 20 year old phenom, to Milwaukee for Carlos Lee. Considering Lee will be a free agent, I hate to see the Brewers get this kid.

If you're not familiar with him, here is a link:

http://firstinning.com/players/Philip-Hughes-595/

Kearns for Hughes? Denorfia moves up and to right. Hughes joins Homer Bailey to give the Reds' future a number one and a number two. Block the Brewers from getting the kid.

What do you think? Good idea or Fool's gold???

dougdirt
06-26-2006, 06:33 PM
Yes. I wouldnt even think twice about it.

WVRed
06-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Yes. I wouldnt even think twice about it.

But would the Yankees?

With the year Lee is having, I can't see the Yankees taking Lee over Kearns.

Only problem I see with Hughes is injury concerns.

membengal
06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
They would get to keep Kearns. Lee would just be a rental as he is heading to free agency.

dougdirt
06-26-2006, 06:48 PM
I dont think the Yankees would. But if they offered the deal, without a bat of the eye I would say yes. I would like to see Hughes pitch a complete season, but he has very good stuff and is doing quite well in AA right now at the age of 20.

Puffy
06-26-2006, 06:50 PM
They would get to keep Kearns. Lee would just be a rental as he is heading to free agency.

No one is ever a rental for the Yankees - if they traded for a guy in the final year of his contract and they wanted to keep him there is absolutely no doubt they would keep him.

membengal
06-26-2006, 06:52 PM
True, but they would have to pay through the nose yet again to do so, and the murmurings from NY in the last year have been that they want to get away from that for a bit. We will see.

pedro
06-26-2006, 07:02 PM
I just might.

M2
06-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Hughes is flavor of the day. I'd rather get a guy two or three years older for Kearns, like a Jason Hirsh. Beyond that, I'd rather more than one prospect. I just don't care for the years of risk involved with an arm like Hughes being the sole return for a major league player like Kearns.

So my answer would be no. I'd rather the Reds be the team that drafted some kid and two years turned him into an established major leaguer.

TeamBoone
06-26-2006, 07:09 PM
I'd do Kearns for nothing.... :p:

(sorry, that title was just screaming for it)

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 07:15 PM
TB :help:

Mario-Rijo
06-26-2006, 07:49 PM
:bowrofl: TB, I didn't even see that coming! :laugh:

Marc D
06-26-2006, 08:00 PM
Hughes is flavor of the day. I'd rather get a guy two or three years older for Kearns, like a Jason Hirsh. Beyond that, I'd rather more than one prospect. I just don't care for the years of risk involved with an arm like Hughes being the sole return for a major league player like Kearns.

So my answer would be no. I'd rather the Reds be the team that drafted some kid and two years turned him into an established major leaguer.

What if they included Tabata? I know he's even younger and very raw but you are talking quite a bit of talent between he and Hughes.

Spitball
06-26-2006, 08:02 PM
No one is ever a rental for the Yankees - if they traded for a guy in the final year of his contract and they wanted to keep him there is absolutely no doubt they would keep him.

I agree, but I wonder about next year. The Yankees will have Matsui and Sheffield back to flank Damon. Would they sign Lee and trade one of the other two? If they would opt for Kearns, then they'd have an affordable fourth outfielder next season who could also defensively spell Sheffield or be on hand should injuries strike again.

Also, might the Yankees not be worried that Lee will do another second half disappearing act like last year? Remember he finished the first half with 76 RBI's but only had 38 in the second half.

Falls City Beer
06-26-2006, 08:03 PM
Who on earth would take Kearns over Lee? Especially when money's no object. That's just nuts.

M2
06-26-2006, 08:22 PM
What if they included Tabata? I know he's even younger and very raw but you are talking quite a bit of talent between he and Hughes.

Maybe, but those guys are for a 2009 and beyond timetable, if ever. If I'm trading a 26-year-old OF then I'd want something to help me next year if not sooner.

Anyway, as well-considered as those two kids may be, I can't help but think it would be akin to dealing for Ed Yarnall and Jackson Melian.

KronoRed
06-26-2006, 08:32 PM
I like the Yarnall deal at the time

OOps :D

GAC
06-26-2006, 08:38 PM
I'd do Kearns for nothing.... :p:

(sorry, that title was just screaming for it)

You stole my line!

But if "doing" Kearns would help this organization, then I'm glad someone would "bite the bullet" (another bad joke there too) ;)

Marc D
06-26-2006, 08:40 PM
Maybe, but those guys are for a 2009 and beyond timetable, if ever. If I'm trading a 26-year-old OF then I'd want something to help me next year if not sooner.

Anyway, as well-considered as those two kids may be, I can't help but think it would be akin to dealing for Ed Yarnall and Jackson Melian.

Fair enough.

Personally, if I'm the GM and I smell desperation from the Yankees, my offer is Kearns, Milton and Milton's contract for Hughes, Tabata and maybe 1 or 2 more lower level prospects.

The money we save next year is essentially the near ML ready prospect, you you pick up at least 2 more high ceiling prospects and you ensure we cash in on a healthy and productive AK while he still is both.

Reds1
06-26-2006, 08:41 PM
Not sure I want to mess up the chemistry. Kearns is having a good season and eventhough the pitchers has been good. He is young and hasn't proven himself in the bigs. Dunn and Griff would be very upset. I don't think it would be good to mess with a starter unless it's a catcher. :)

WVRed
06-26-2006, 09:06 PM
Tabata and CJ Henry would be players I would seriously consider, but they are more project players than anything.

JaxRed
06-26-2006, 11:43 PM
The Yankees would be crazy to accept Kearns for Hughes. The Reds would be crazy not to.

Jpup
06-27-2006, 02:42 AM
nope. If Hughes was a prospect for any other club, you wouldn't even hear his name. He's a "Yankee", he must be good. I like the Yankees, but I would hate this deal. Hughes is, at least, 3 years away IMO.

cincyinco
06-27-2006, 02:45 AM

Tabata and Hughes for Kearns?

Everyday and twice on sundays. Surprised to see some of the answers on this thread - some fans of hughes saying no, and some fans of trading kearns becuase he will be expensive and say this is likely his high value, saying no... Arm's of Hughes talent are rare - at a Bailey level. If i could have Bailey and Hughes in AA, to group with Woods, etc - I think you have to do it.

Denofria could step in, and we probably wouldn't miss a beat. Pitching starved Reds would do well to get a prospect of Hughes cababilities IMO. Especially one on a "Homer Bailey" time table.

Tabata is a friggin stud..

cincyinco
06-27-2006, 02:48 AM
nope. If Hughes was a prospect for any other club, you wouldn't even hear his name. He's a "Yankee", he must be good. I like the Yankees, but I would hate this deal. Hughes is, at least, 3 years away IMO.

Are you kidding me? Hughes would be a prospect on ANY other team in the majors.. I hate the overhype of Yankee prospects just as much as anyone, but Hughes has the goods. He's been far more dominant than Homer Bailey. Tabata is a 17 year old that has tore the cover off the ball at every single stop. The stats for both players do not lie, and do not smell of any "hype".

Jpup
06-27-2006, 02:53 AM
Are you kidding me? Hughes would be a prospect on ANY other team in the majors.. I hate the overhype of Yankee prospects just as much as anyone, but Hughes has the goods. He's been far more dominant than Homer Bailey. Tabata is a 17 year old that has tore the cover off the ball at every single stop. The stats for both players do not lie, and do not smell of any "hype".

ok, I looked at the stats and I still wouldn't trade Kearns for a 20 year old arm. Would you trade Kearns for Homer Bailey if he weren't with the Reds? I sure wouldn't.

Like it has been pointed out in the Angels trade thread, Kearns is better than almost any available bat other than Carlos Lee. Krivsky can get more for him. I don't care to trade anyone for "prospects", but you need to get 2 or 3 for him.

cincyinco
06-27-2006, 03:00 AM
ok, I looked at the stats and I still wouldn't trade Kearns for a 20 year old arm. Would you trade Kearns for Homer Bailey if he weren't with the Reds? I sure wouldn't.

Like it has been pointed out in the Angels trade thread, Kearns is better than almost any available bat other than Carlos Lee. Krivsky can get more for him. I don't care to trade anyone for "prospects", but you need to get 2 or 3 for him.

Yes, I would trade Kearns for Homer Bailey if he weren't with the Reds.. especially if I could get a top notch OF prospect like Tabata, and a bit more. Kearns value, in case you forgot, is at an all time high. And lots of folks around here would argue this is as high as its going to get. He may get injured again, may regress again, may never figure it out, and he'll get expensive. Plus FA's not too far around the corner.

If a trade could be worked out for 3 yankee prospects, 2 of which are Hughes and Tabata, I'm defenitely listening. Hughes has been compared to Roger Clemens. He has credentials. He is adjusting to AA nicely, especially for a 20 year old. Tabata is 17 playing in a mans league, and he's not only holding his own, he's doing incredibly well. If you could get either a reliever or perhaps a struggling "Eric Duncan" type prospect on top of it all, I think its a good deal.

You don't have to trade for Kearn's replacement. We have a very deserving candidate in AAA by the name of Denorfia. He's ready, IMO. And he deserves a solid chance. Our farm system is pretty sorry. Hughes and Tabata would instantly be at the top with Bailey and Bruce as our top prospects. I know we're playing to win this year, but taht doesn't mean we need to neglect to the farm system at the same time. You can contend now AND improve the minor league system. Lets face it, Cincinnati is pitching starved... still. Whether its in the starting rotation or in the pen. We need every single quality arm we can get(no matter what level), and Hughes is defenitely a top shelf pitching prospect.

I'm not saying Kearns couldn't fetch more.. he might be able to.. but that is an offer I would seriously have to consider, as it addresses several organizational goals.

Bailey AND Hughes in AA? I'd be giddy as a school girl. Tabata, Bruce, and Stubbs as a future OF? Color me excited about that possibility. :)

Jpup
06-27-2006, 03:15 AM
Yes, I would trade Kearns for Homer Bailey if he weren't with the Reds.. especially if I could get a top notch OF prospect like Tabata, and a bit more. Kearns value, in case you forgot, is at an all time high. And lots of folks around here would argue this is as high as its going to get. He may get injured again, may regress again, may never figure it out, and he'll get expensive. Plus FA's not too far around the corner.

If a trade could be worked out for 3 yankee prospects, 2 of which are Hughes and Tabata, I'm defenitely listening. Hughes has been compared to Roger Clemens. He has credentials. He is adjusting to AA nicely, especially for a 20 year old. Tabata is 17 playing in a mans league, and he's not only holding his own, he's doing incredibly well. If you could get either a reliever or perhaps a struggling "Eric Duncan" type prospect on top of it all, I think its a good deal.

You don't have to trade for Kearn's replacement. We have a very deserving candidate in AAA by the name of Denorfia. He's ready, IMO. And he deserves a solid chance. Our farm system is pretty sorry. Hughes and Tabata would instantly be at the top with Bailey and Bruce as our top prospects. I know we're playing to win this year, but taht doesn't mean we need to neglect to the farm system at the same time. You can contend now AND improve the minor league system. Lets face it, Cincinnati is pitching starved... still. Whether its in the starting rotation or in the pen. We need every single quality arm we can get(no matter what level), and Hughes is defenitely a top shelf pitching prospect.

I'm not saying Kearns couldn't fetch more.. he might be able to.. but that is an offer I would seriously have to consider, as it addresses several organizational goals.

Bailey AND Hughes in AA? I'd be giddy as a school girl. Tabata, Bruce, and Stubbs as a future OF? Color me excited about that possibility. :)

good post. I didn't say that I wouldn't listen, but I couldn't do the deal 1 for 1. With Tabata and Duncan thrown in, I would probably do it.

Also, I don't think that Denorfia will be as good as Austin Kearns when it's all said and done. I just can't see Kearns being traded, at all really. You think the Yanks would have any interest in Jr.? I don't know if Jr. would go there, but I would try it. btw, what's wrong with who the Yankees have? There problem isn't the OF anyway. They need some more pitching.

cincyinco
06-27-2006, 03:21 AM
good post. I didn't say that I wouldn't listen, but I couldn't do the deal 1 for 1. With Tabata and Duncan thrown in, I would probably do it.

Also, I don't think that Denorfia will be as good as Austin Kearns when it's all said and done. I just can't see Kearns being traded, at all really. You think the Yanks would have any interest in Jr.? I don't know if Jr. would go there, but I would try it. btw, what's wrong with who the Yankees have? There problem isn't the OF anyway. They need some more pitching.

Yeah, 1 for 1 I probably wouldn't do it.. have to get more. I dont think Denorfia will be as good as Kearns when its all said and done either, but I certainly think he's a good stop gap for at least a year or two. Aside from that, he could be replaced via the Free Agent market. Or, move Freel to RF full time. Our OF still has some depth, and its still a strength from which to trade.

I'd love to trade Jr, and I'm sure the Yanks would have some interest. they love the high profile player. Whether JR would want to go there is a completely different question. Plus, he's 10/5.

Nothing wrong with the Yanks current OF, but its been hampered by injuries all year. And I think they might be tiring of Sheffields act.

cincyinco
06-27-2006, 04:11 AM
Man I love Tabata... a little blurb about him and Hughes

" ... Jose Tabata ... .315/.376/.452 with 11 steals in 63 games for Class A Charleston in the Sally League. Remember, he is just 17 years old and doing this in full-season ball. An outstanding prospect.

" ... Philip Hughes ... Finally starting to dominate Double-A. In his last four starts he is 2-1, 0.96 with 33 strikeouts in 28 innings.

Outshined_One
06-27-2006, 05:30 AM
Philip Hughes is one of those prospects you have to be really careful with. No one ever doubted the guy's talent, especially considering scouts have referred to him as Mark Prior Lite. The biggest problem with him is that he has been hampered with all sorts of injuries during his short professional career. This season, he's pitched more innings total (92.1) than he has in his entire career up to now (91.1). It very well could be possible that he has finally gotten over the injury hump, but consider me skeptical until I see he has 150 IP in a season.

Tabata has a world of potential. We'll see how he responds to the better pitching and tougher ballparks in the Florida State League next season. There's plenty to like, especially considering his age, but he is going to have to work on his plate discipline as he progresses.

Eric Duncan's prospect status has taken a huge hit over the past two seasons. I'd pass on him, considering his struggles in AA and AAA.

Beware of Yankees prospects and young players. They always receive way more hype than they deserve in the media. Some of these guys could turn out well, but a Kearns for Hughes/Tabata/Duncan deal would do nothing for the Reds this season and very well could come back to haunt the Reds. Kearns is a solid guy to have in the OF at the very least. It'd suck to see him flourish for the Yankees.

*Shudders*

Also, Carlos Lee is a decent guy who gets way more interest than he deserves. His OBP has been ugly and heavily average-driven. We'll see who falls in love with his RBI numbers and sells the farm to get him.

Jpup
06-27-2006, 06:00 AM
Also, Carlos Lee is a decent guy who gets way more interest than he deserves. His OBP has been ugly and heavily average-driven.

Career Averages (Per 162 games played)
Carlos Lee (6.9 years, 30 years old) .283/.337/.494/.831 30 HR 105 RBI 50 BB 90 SO
Austin Kearns (2.7 years, 26 years old) .266/.358/.464/.822 25 HR 94 RBI 74 BB 147 SO

Zone Rating (Career)
Carlos Lee (as LF) .862
Austin Kearns (as RF) .924

2006 Salary
Carlos Lee $8.5 million
Austin Kearns $1.85 million

Which one would you rather have?

WVRed
06-27-2006, 08:35 AM
Career Averages (Per 162 games played)
Carlos Lee (6.9 years, 30 years old) .283/.337/.494/.831 30 HR 105 RBI 50 BB 90 SO
Austin Kearns (2.7 years, 26 years old) .266/.358/.464/.822 25 HR 94 RBI 74 BB 147 SO

Zone Rating (Career)
Carlos Lee (as LF) .862
Austin Kearns (as RF) .924

2006 Salary
Carlos Lee $8.5 million
Austin Kearns $1.85 million

If I'm the Yankees, Carlos Lee. Money means absolutely nothing to the Yankees.

Of all the stats you showed besides zone rating, the only one that Kearns held over Lee was OBP and walks.

Krusty
06-27-2006, 08:37 AM
Buyer beware. The last time we were snake bitten over they New York hype involving Brandon Claussen. And Claussen hasn't developed into the frontline pitcher everyone thought he would.

So why is it I think we might be going down that same road again involving Hughes?

Marc D
06-27-2006, 10:02 AM
Buyer beware. The last time we were snake bitten over they New York hype involving Brandon Claussen. And Claussen hasn't developed into the frontline pitcher everyone thought he would.

So why is it I think we might be going down that same road again involving Hughes?

There is as much a chance of Hughes and or Tabata flaming out as there is of Kearns continuing his career JD Drew impersonation.

If I'm Kriv, I am aware of the Yankee prospect hype game, have faith in my own talent evaluation skills and know that all you can do is get the odds in your favor as best you can and place your bets. There are no guarantees.

I personally feel the Yankees a ripe for the plucking in a year when the AL East will not get the WC. They can either be used to unload a bad contract, overpay in prospects or some combination of both. You just can't underestimate what lengths George will go to once he puts both hands firmly on the panic button. Thats why I wasn't joking with my offer to them a page or two back. Ask for the moon and you just might get it.

M2
06-27-2006, 10:05 AM

Excellent point. This strikes me as one of those "looks great on paper" concepts.

Yet it's all based on the cock-eyed notion that hot prospects never fail, never cool off. If the Reds didn't have a bunch of guys in their 20s who can play, I'd buy into the notion that it might make sense to load on kids who are a few years away. That's a great plan for the Royals or Cubs to undertake. The Reds are in a different place.

I can see punting Kearns for prospects and simultaneously using prospects to net you some pitching. In a way that would be like moving Kearns for pitching. I can see making this kind of deal after the season when you have the time to do some structured reshuffling. Yet, to echo Krusty, buyer beware. Neither Hughes nor Tabata is anywhere near the prospect that Austin Kearns was at the start of this decade and apparently now a lot of people would just as soon Kearns head out the door for nothing more than a gaudy promise in return. There's a cautionary tale there. These all-world prospects rarely translate into being superstar major leaguers. Kearns didn't.

Yet Austin is a solid major league player. He's become a Tom Brunansky type, which has its uses. If six years from now we can say something similar about Phillips Hughes, the kid will have done awfully well for himself.

Benihana
06-27-2006, 10:58 AM
While I like Hughes I would be EXTREMELY wary of Yankees prospects.

Brandon Claussen worked out well. As did Ed Yarnall, Brian Reith, Jackson Melian, Charlie Manning, etc. etc. etc. If they let them go, they tend to be extremely overhyped. See: Jimenez, D'Angelo. If they keep em, they're pretty good. See: Soriano, Alfonso.

The_jbh
06-27-2006, 11:48 AM
I like Phillip Hughes and he would immediately become our #2 prospect, but I would not deal him for Kearns. If Kriv make this deal, he would be conceding this season. THat would be a purely future based move and I don't think thats the direction Castelleni wants, nor should go. We are first in the wildcard. Kearns is one of our most consistent hitters and BY FAR is the best fielding OF we have. His loss would have a major impact on our squad. And for all those people who want Dunn locked up even more longterm, Kearns departure would make that go out the window due to their strong relationship. I don't have a ton of basis for this comment, but I get the feeling Kearns is one of the most popular players on this team. His departure would have a major impact on team chemistry.

Plus Hughes is a AA prospect with a large history of arm injuries. I don't see that a match for the Reds, espeically when it has to due with dealing one of our cornerstones.

TeamBoone
06-27-2006, 11:59 AM

And then there was the Drew Henson debacle... and the matter of Wily Mo's contract, though I'm sure the Reds were aware of that one.

Kc61
06-27-2006, 01:47 PM
When EE comes back, Ryan Freel goes to the bench again.

Many believe that, right now, Freel adds more to the offense than Kearns. I know he needs to be rested occasionally, but Freel makes the team go. I would like to see Freel as the regular centerfielder, Griffey move to right field. Denorfia or somebody else could spell Freel to give him the occasional rest he needs.

With this scenario, Kearns becomes trade bait for pitching.

registerthis
06-27-2006, 01:57 PM

The one that's proven capable of playing a full season.

Falls City Beer
06-27-2006, 02:35 PM
Many believe that, right now, Freel adds more to the offense than Kearns.

I don't believe it; I know it.

KronoRed
06-27-2006, 03:33 PM
And then there was the Drew Henson debacle... and the matter of Wily Mo's contract, though I'm sure the Reds were aware of that one.
I think they were, Bowden was so in love with the 5 tool aspect that he didn't care.

Jpup
06-28-2006, 06:41 AM
If I'm the Yankees, Carlos Lee. Money means absolutely nothing to the Yankees.

Of all the stats you showed besides zone rating, the only one that Kearns held over Lee was OBP and walks.

he's 4 years younger and a lot cheaper. The Yankees can use the money elsewhere.

I think the Reds would be nuts to trade Kearns unless they get overwhelmed.

Jpup
06-28-2006, 06:43 AM
The one that's proven capable of playing a full season.

Is that Austin's fault that he's had fluke injuries? He's still a very productive player that the Reds would miss if he weren't in the lineup.

Krusty
06-28-2006, 09:13 AM
Kearns is on pace for 25-30 home runs and 90 to 100 RBIs. With guys like Pat Burrell, Craig Wilson, Bobby Abreu and Carlos Lee being shopped, the Reds wouldn't get equal value in return for Kearns.

oneupper
06-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Kearns is on pace for 25-30 home runs and 90 to 100 RBIs. With guys like Pat Burrell, Craig Wilson, Bobby Abreu and Carlos Lee being shopped, the Reds wouldn't get equal value in return for Kearns.

If he does, in fact, hit 25-30 HR and get 90 to 100 RBI, he's going to cost at least $4 mm in 2007 in arbitration. Freel and/or Denorfia can do a similar job (not as much power, but higher OBP) for a fraction of the cost this year AND next. IMO, whatever we can get for Kearns is a plus at this point.

Jpup
06-29-2006, 07:01 AM
If he does, in fact, hit 25-30 HR and get 90 to 100 RBI, he's going to cost at least $4 mm in 2007 in arbitration. Freel and/or Denorfia can do a similar job (not as much power, but higher OBP) for a fraction of the cost this year AND next. IMO, whatever we can get for Kearns is a plus at this point.

how do you know what Denorfia can do at the major league level? That is pure speculation. Kearns is very cheap considering what he brings to the club. I am not totally against trading him, but you are blowing it off like he's just not very good. The Reds should have to be overwhelmed to trade the guy. They don't have a replacement, in the system, for Austin Kearns. He is, by far, the best outfielder on the roster. When Dunn is moved to 1st base and, hopefully, Jr. is moved to left, who is going to play center? It's going to be Chris Denorfia. Narron has said countless times that Ryan Freel can't play every day because he "plays too hard." The Reds have extended Narron's deal, so Freel might not ever get the chance to be an everyday player.

Carl Lidner doesn't own the Reds anymore, nor does Marge Schott. If 4 million dollars is causing a problem, the problem isn't Austin Kearns.

oneupper
06-29-2006, 07:59 AM
how do you know what Denorfia can do at the major league level? That is pure speculation. Kearns is very cheap considering what he brings to the club. I am not totally against trading him, but you are blowing it off like he's just not very good. The Reds should have to be overwhelmed to trade the guy. They don't have a replacement, in the system, for Austin Kearns. He is, by far, the best outfielder on the roster. When Dunn is moved to 1st base and, hopefully, Jr. is moved to left, who is going to play center? It's going to be Chris Denorfia. Narron has said countless times that Ryan Freel can't play every day because he "plays too hard." The Reds have extended Narron's deal, so Freel might not ever get the chance to be an everyday player.

Carl Lidner doesn't own the Reds anymore, nor does Marge Schott. If 4 million dollars is causing a problem, the problem isn't Austin Kearns.

1) About Denorfia. I don't know...that's what they call it an OPINION (just like yours is one also). He has hit well at every level, I'd be surprised if he didn't hit in the big leagues.
2) Kearns may be the best defensive OF on the roster (which is not saying much)...he is not a very good hitter (again..IMO).
3) This team is still on a budget and 4 million dollars can be used to improve pitching (starters and or bullpen), retain some of the players who will be requiring raises and maybe lock up someone LT (Harang?).

Once Kearns' salary gets up there or he moves closer to FA, his trade value will slide. For a long time on this board, I've seen 'trade Kearns"' suggestions shot down by "don't sell at a low" responses, especially last year. His value has increased since then...what is the excuse now?

I'm not suggesting that Krivsky give Kearns away (or anything for that matter), but the way the team/organization is structured today (Dunn isn't going to 1B, IMO)...his production is easily replaced. So if you can get something POSITIVE for him, the team improves instantly.

Spitball
06-29-2006, 12:13 PM
If the Angels decide they want to compete for Carlos Lee, I doubt the Yankees could match their package of prospects. The Yankees' only hope would be if the Angels insisted Lee sign before the deal would be finalized.