PDA

View Full Version : Today's trivia

vaticanplum
06-27-2006, 11:30 AM
I don't know the answer, I'm looking for help.

My friends and I are discussing players who have had the good fortune to play in the postseason every year of their careers (this came up because of Derek Jeter's birthday). Jeter, for starters, is in his eleventh year of service and has played in 10 postseasons so far. So we're looking to find out how many currently active players, with a minimum of five years' service time, have played in the postseason every year they've been on a major league roster.

So far it's a short list. We have:
Mariano Rivera
Andruw Jones
Marcus Giles
El Duque

This is going by the criteria of ACTUALLY PLAYING in the postseason, not just being on the roster of a postseason team. If we open that up, we make room for Chipper Jones (8 games for the Braves in 93, but none in the postseason), Rafael Furcal (doesn't seem to have played in the 01 postseason -- was he hurt?), Andy Pettitte (who was hurt in Houston in the 04 postseason), and Jorge Posada (who was the backup catcher and did not play any postseason games in 96, though he did in 95, his first year in the majors).

There's gotta be some random dude who happened to move from the A's to the Braves to St. Louis or something. I just don't know how to go about looking this up without names first.

gm
06-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Check Reggie Laverne Sanders

cincy09
06-27-2006, 01:20 PM

nope

vaticanplum
06-27-2006, 01:22 PM

No, he spent too many years in Cincinnati...not to mention that stint in San Diego.

He's had a good run this decade, but he's not even close to playing in the postseason every year of his career. Not even half, I'd say.

crazybob60
06-27-2006, 01:22 PM
I just played around on baseball-reference.com for a little bit and really couldn't find anybody else....you have the guys that are close like you mentioned, but really nobody else....at least that I could find.