PDA

View Full Version : So, are these Dunkin' Donuts commercials running nationally?

M2
06-27-2006, 01:55 PM
Dunkin' Donuts is a bit of a religion in New England and we're always swamped with commercials for the franchise. A few months back they started a new set of promos that feature incredibly catchy tunes and a hyper-realistic visual style. They've come up with a number of gems: "Doing things is what I like to do," "Swimming, soccer, ballet, oboe, kar-a-tay," "The backs of my legs are sticking to the pleather" and "It's like one million degrees."

My kids will stop what they're doing each time one of them airs. Heck, I'll stop what I'm doing when one of them airs. Anyway, I'm wondering if they're running nationally and if anyone else finds themself mesmerized by these things.

06-27-2006, 01:58 PM
I've never seen one. Maybe it is regional, although there are Dunkin Donuts around here in west central Indiana.

RedsManRick
06-27-2006, 02:02 PM
I've seen them here in Chicago.

Heath
06-27-2006, 02:13 PM
I don't think I have a dunkin donuts within 50 miles of me - or so it seems -

However, I have family in NYC and they have 50 within a 20 block area.

Great coffee. I have no idea why either. I'm afraid to ask.

Redsland
06-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Here you go (http://www.hhcc.com/)

Click on "Work" and you can see some of the broadcast, print, and outdoor samples.

Enjoy!

Johnny Footstool
06-27-2006, 02:46 PM
We're in friggin' Krispy Kreme land. The only Dunkin is in Lawrence, which is about 45 minutes away.

M2
06-27-2006, 03:02 PM
Redsland, just curious, what do you think of the spots? Being our resident pro in such things and all.

NJReds
06-27-2006, 03:05 PM

I have 6 in a 2 mile radius.

KronoRed
06-27-2006, 03:44 PM
Never seen em, can't recall the last DD I've even driven by

RFS62
06-27-2006, 03:45 PM
kar-a-tay

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Redsland
06-27-2006, 04:05 PM
Redsland, just curious, what do you think of the spots? Being our resident pro in such things and all.
This is my first exposure to the work, so all I can give is first impressions.

I love the Karate spot, because the music is perfect and casting of the mom is very "real." The spot is funny, yet it's strategically sound, in that it's basically just reminding people that DD coffee is "go-juice."

The other spot isnt working for me, primarily because I hate the music. Still, it is a simple and straight-forward pitch for iced coffee, and I always prefer simple approaches. I suspect I'd love this spot with different music. One interesting thing this spot does is that, rather than making the ethnic folks the "cool" ones, which is done to death, this time they aren't the heros. Instead, the heros are high school aged, which suggests that DD is trying to tap into a younger market.

The print ad is visually striking, simple, and clear, which I usually like. And I would like it as a stand-alone execution. But we're supposed to be looking at an integrated campaign of work supportng DD's coffee, and this ad doesn't really have much in common with the broadcast work, from a look-and-feel standpoint, so I give it points off for that, despite its overall excellence.

The bus wrap concept of "someone inside this bus is interacting with our ad!" is tired, but then no one expects much here. The "starting line" concept, however, would be a fresh, novel way to reinforce the coffee message, if it weren't such a blatent rip-off of an old Nike running ad. Big points off.

Overall: thumbs up. It's just a shame that some of the work was relegated to junior creatives, rather than having the same team handle it all. If everything were as inventive as the advertising, this would be a great body of work.

GIK
06-27-2006, 06:21 PM
They're playing in Detroit; very good, IMO.

Oh, and Dunkin Donuts for the win over Krispy Kreme.

westofyou
06-27-2006, 06:32 PM
What's a Donut place? They're nonexistant around her in the land of the coffee house.

We have a late night freakshow place for donuts though.

Voo Doo Donuts (http://voodoodoughnut.com/)

Caveat Emperor
06-27-2006, 06:34 PM
They're playing in Detroit; very good, IMO.

Oh, and Dunkin Donuts for the win over Krispy Kreme.

Dunkin Donuts are fantastic -- I'd drive by 10 Krispy Kremes and likely 1 Tim Hortons in order to get an authentic cup of Dunkin Donuts coffee and a half dozen chocolate frosted w/ sprinkles.

TeamBoone
06-27-2006, 07:12 PM
I don't think I have a dunkin donuts within 50 miles of me - or so it seems.

Yes you do.... there are many in Greater Cincinnati.

I don't know about the commercial; truthfully, I don't see many period.

Rojo
06-27-2006, 07:16 PM
What's a Donut place? They're nonexistant around her in the land of the coffee house.

That's San Francisco as well. There's the occassional "Happy Donuts" which appear to be run by Chinese to provide loiter space to homeless people.

But we do have Your Muslim Bakeries.

StillFunkyB
06-27-2006, 08:59 PM
Never seen em, can't recall the last DD I've even driven by

Florence, Y'all, on 42 by Dream St.

It's the only one I ever remember in "Cincinnati".

SandyD
06-27-2006, 09:09 PM
We have one Dunkin Donuts that I know of. Don't watch television much, but I have a vague memory of discussing DD, and our mutual dislike of them after a commercial or something. Don't remember the commercial, tho.

Best donuts around here, besides beignets of course, are at Dorngiac's, which is a local grocery store. Best and freshest. Not too sweet either.

I've always found Dunkin Donuts too dense or something.

Redsland
06-27-2006, 09:14 PM
'Round here, I have to give the nod to Bonnie Lynn Bakery. :luvu:

reds1869
06-27-2006, 09:20 PM
I have to give the nod to Busken locally. But I am so glad I have a Dunkin Donuts near me on Rt. 4; when I lived in Columbus it took forever to get to one (and they were pretty much MIA in Cleveland). My sister in Boston, otoh, has one within a block in either direction.

StillFunkyB
06-27-2006, 09:32 PM
I have to give the nod to Busken locally. But I am so glad I have a Dunkin Donuts near me on Rt. 4; when I lived in Columbus it took forever to get to one (and they were pretty much MIA in Cleveland). My sister in Boston, otoh, has one within a block in either direction.

There used to be more DD's in Cleveland.

KronoRed
06-27-2006, 09:37 PM
'Round here, I have to give the nod to Bonnie Lynn Bakery. :luvu:
Amen

TeamBoone
06-27-2006, 11:52 PM
Florence, Y'all, on 42 by Dream St.

It's the only one I ever remember in "Cincinnati".

I probably shouldn't have said there are many... there are 4 (including the one in Florence. The two I'm most familiar with are on Rt. 42 in Sharonville and on Rt. 28 in Milford. There's another one out on North Bend Road on the west side.

letsgojunior
06-27-2006, 11:56 PM
I would take Starbucks any day of the week over Dunkin' Donuts.

GIK
06-28-2006, 09:06 AM

I don't know about Dunkin', but the last time I was in the Portland area I remember there being a KK on 82nd by the Clackamas mall.

reds1869
06-28-2006, 09:17 AM
I would take Starbucks any day of the week over Dunkin' Donuts.

I used to work for Starbuck's and can say with assurance that their pastries suck.

NJReds
06-28-2006, 09:51 AM
I used to work for Starbuck's and can say with assurance that their pastries suck.

Their coffee isn't so great, either. Seems to have a burned taste to it.

westofyou
06-28-2006, 09:55 AM
I don't know about Dunkin', but the last time I was in the Portland area I remember there being a KK on 82nd by the Clackamas mall.
Yep, that and Annies on Sandy and you have the 2 Donut places in town.

dabvu2498
06-28-2006, 10:02 AM

Heath -- Dunkin Donuts at the corner of 741-725 caddy-corner from the Dayton Mall.

I'm a hillbilly. Krispy Kreme's are my thing.

reds1869
06-28-2006, 10:19 AM

It is in fact burnt. They call it the "Starbuck's Roast." It is a dark Italian-inspired style of roasting. I personally like it, but would rather have the lighter Scandanavian style of roast anytime.

If any of you are ever in Huntington, WV, check out a place downtown called Old Village Roaster. You will never have better coffee anywhere; unfortunately the new Starbuck's is driving them into the ground, as most of OVR's beans cost $15-45/lb.

westofyou
06-28-2006, 10:22 AM
Starbucks is lightweight, add a shot of espresso to give it some body.

GIK
06-28-2006, 10:28 AM
Red-Eye, baby. Oh those great days as a Barista...

reds1869
06-28-2006, 10:30 AM
WOY, do you ever drink Peet's? Great stuff.

westofyou
06-28-2006, 10:32 AM
WOY, do you ever drink Peet's? Great stuff.
16 years straight and have a cup in my hand now.

reds1869
06-28-2006, 01:58 PM
16 years straight and have a cup in my hand now.

I am very, very jealous. Every time I'm out west I load up on the stuff.

westofyou
06-28-2006, 02:12 PM
I am very, very jealous. Every time I'm out west I load up on the stuff.
www.peets.com does mailorder.

We only have a few here in PDX, but I lived in Berkeley back in the day when they were just a local shop.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2001/08/05/MN179670.DTL&type=travel

Without Peet, it is unlikely there would be a Starbucks. In 1970, Jerry Baldwin, Gordon Bowker and Zev Siegl, three Seattle college students, spent the summer in Europe and became addicted to dark European roasts. Someone gave Baldwin a bag of Peet's coffee, and soon Siegl was working in Peet's Berkeley store to learn more about the trade.

When the threesome decided to open their first Starbucks coffee shop, Peet agreed to supply them with his roasted beans, and helped them find suppliers for grinders, roasters and other essential equipment. With his permission, the first Starbucks store was designed to look like Peet's coffee mecca in Berkeley.

In his autobiography, "Pour Your Heart Into It," Howard Schultz, Starbucks' current chairman, described Peet as the company's "spiritual grandfather."

Peet's original store was bought by Starbucks' founders Baldwin and Bowker in 1984. It is owned by Peets Coffee & Tea Inc., an Emeryville public company. In addition to a mail-order business, and supplying restaurants and office buildings nationwide, it has grown to 60 stores in four states.

pedro
06-28-2006, 02:21 PM
Peet's rules.

Have a bag downstairs.

I think I might just have to have a cup.

RFS62
06-28-2006, 03:00 PM
OK, I'm convinced. I'm gonna order some.

Which version do you two beatniks drink out there?

Do you use a coffee press like the site recommends?

westofyou
06-28-2006, 03:41 PM
OK, I'm convinced. I'm gonna order some.

Which version do you two beatniks drink out there?

Do you use a coffee press like the site recommends?
I like the House blend, the Major Dickenson is the expensive bomb.

I used to use a press, but broke a few, the last one broke whilst I pressing and burned my leg, it was the second time in my life I've poured boiling water on my leg, it will not happen again.

I use a single cone ground #5.

Once I ate 3 Krispy Kreme Donuts and and drank a pot of Peets, the sensation reminded me of a night that started with a handful of black beauties and ended at a Commander Cody Concert back in the late 70's

wheels
07-01-2006, 05:43 PM
Dudes, in Columbus there's only one Donut place.

Buckeye Donuts.

At 4 AM.

I saw Prince there with his entourage one night and actually did a spit take all over the front window.

It was awesome.

07-02-2006, 02:52 AM
The best donuts are square.

http://specials.tribstar.com/terrehautestop40/stories/square.html

WebScorpion
07-06-2006, 09:50 AM
We have a few Dunkin' Donuts in my area, but I've never seen the ads. They look short and to the point, which is always a good thing in my book.
I like DD coffee...Prefer it over Starbuck's but I'll drink Starbuck's house blend if I can't get the DD. I prefer most of DD's donut varieties over Krispy Kreme except, and it's a big exception, the glazed donuts. Those KK glazed donuts, served warm, just melt in your mouth. Mmmmmm...donuts.
Of course, in most places the local bakery has the best donuts. I always liked the donuts from the Madeira Bakery on Miami Road when I was growing up and I prefer a local bakery here too. I never knew New England had so many Dunkin' Donuts stores until I recently visited New Hampshire...man, you were never out of sight of a DD! In fact you could usually see the next DD from the one you were in. How can they support so many donut shops? Do they eat them for lunch and dinner? Odd...:confused:

M2
07-06-2006, 10:52 AM
I believe DD sells more bagels than donuts these days. I'll be the first to tell you that DD bagels are too bready, but they're awfully convenient if you want a ham, egg and cheese on a wheat bagel with a cup of coffee.

They sell an unreal amount of coffee.

I assume someone eats the donuts, though for the life of me I don't know who those people are. You don't see people walking around munching on donuts and I've never worked anyplace where they put out a donut spread. It's clandestine consumption.

wheels
07-07-2006, 12:21 AM
Man...I used to live on Donuts when I was in my early to mid twenties.

Every day began and ended at Buckeye Donuts, or Insomnia (until the goths took over...Yeesh).

Can't eat stuff like that anymore. Goes right to my thighs, and that stuff isn't quite as easy to lose these days.