PDA

View Full Version : Peter Gammons in surgery for brain aneurysm

WVRed
06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
I hope he pulls through. My thoughts and prayers are with him and his family.:(

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=2502295

Longtime ESPN Baseball analyst Peter Gammons suffered an aneurysm in his brain Tuesday morning near his home on Cape Cod, Mass. He was airlifted to a Boston hospital, where he is currently undergoing surgery.

Peter Gammons
AP
Gammons was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005.

Gammons, 61, is probably the best-known baseball writer of his generation, first with the Boston Globe, beginning in 1969, then for Sports Illustrated, before joining ESPN in 1990.

In 2004, he was honored with J.G. Taylor Spink Award for outstanding baseball writing during the 2005 Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cooperstown, N.Y. He was selected in balloting by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

He started his career as a reporter for the Boston Globe in 1969 and wrote a very popular weekly Sunday baseball column for many years. He has also worked for Sports Illustrated covering the National Hockey League, college basketball and Major League Baseball (1976-78, 1986-90).

In 1986, upon his return to Sports Illustrated as a senior writer following a second stay at the Globe, he wrote numerous stories covering some of baseball's most important news events, as well as authoring "Inside Baseball," Sports Illustrated's weekly baseball notebook.

Gammons is also the author of Beyond the Sixth Game, a look at free agency.

Born April 9, 1945, Gammons is a native of Boston, raised in nearby Groton, Mass. He attended the University of North Carolina and is married.

Matt700wlw
06-27-2006, 08:06 PM
Wow....my best to he and his family

Gallen5862
06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Get well soon!

OnBaseMachine
06-27-2006, 08:11 PM
Man, I hate to hear that. I love reading his columns and watching him on Baseball Tonight. He's knows his baseball and you can tell he loves the game. I hope he can pull through and continue covering the game he loves.

Caveat Emperor
06-27-2006, 08:17 PM
I was waiting for the David Ortiz traded joke...

Wow, that's so sad. He seems like a guy who genuinely loves the game of baseball and his writing is always fun to read (even if I disagree with it).

Best to him and his family. :(

Mario-Rijo
06-27-2006, 08:18 PM
Wow, terrible news for anyone. I do enjoy his style, but more than that hate to see that happen to anyone. Pull through Petey!

Phhhl
06-27-2006, 08:30 PM
Good luck to Mr. Gammons.

Spitball
06-27-2006, 08:48 PM
I discovered Peter Gammons thirty something years ago when I was in high school. He had the most awesome column in The Sunday Boston Globe that ran all year, not just baseball season. It was about a quarter of a page and was full of information on all of the teams, not just the Red Sox. For years after I moved away from the Boston area, my mom would save his Sunday columns and mail them to me about once a month.

It was very similar to the column he still does except he would give certain players nicknames like chris Berman once did. In fact, I believe Berman admits he borrowed the schtick from Gammons. Actually, unlike Berman's play on the name, Gammons' were more like inside jokes on the player's appearance, personality, or intelligence. My favorite Gammons' nickname was for a White Sox pitcher Bart "Toys in the Attic" Johnson.

I pray for him.

KronoRed
06-27-2006, 10:31 PM
Sad news :(

TheBigLebowski
06-27-2006, 11:24 PM
I really hope he makes it through this. I've always liked Peter Gammons. This was totally unexpected. Prayers for Peter and his family.

15fan
06-27-2006, 11:35 PM
My boss (mid-40s female in fine health) had an aneurysm in the fall. It ruptured while she was in surgery with the microsurgeon, then again in post op. It wasn't good, by any stretch. The week Katrina hit, I was wondering when I was going to get the call that I'd be going to her funeral.

She was back working part-time in 3 months, and full-time a month after that.

She is definitely a changed person, and she has to write down a lot more notes than she did before. But she's a functioning, self-sufficient, contributing member to society.

Here's hoping Pete's recovery goes just as well.

remdog
06-27-2006, 11:51 PM
Wishes for a complete and speedy recovery.

Rem

harangatang
06-27-2006, 11:54 PM
Any updates?

redsandrails
06-28-2006, 12:10 AM
ESPN just said he's out of surgery and resting now.

Gallen5862
06-28-2006, 12:11 AM
Here is a update on Peter Gammons Condition.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=2502295&type=story
Gammons in ICU after surgery for brain aneurysm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ESPN.com

Longtime ESPN Baseball analyst Peter Gammons is out of surgery and resting in intensive care after undergoing an operation to treat an aneurysm in his brain Tuesday. Gammons suffered the aneurysm Tuesday morning near his home on Cape Cod, Mass. He was airlifted to a Boston hospital, where the surgery was performed.

Gammons was inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame in 2005.

Gammons, 61, is probably the best-known baseball writer of his generation, first with the Boston Globe, beginning in 1969, then for Sports Illustrated, before joining ESPN in 1990.

He was honored with J.G. Taylor Spink Award for outstanding baseball writing during the 2005 Hall of Fame induction ceremony in Cooperstown, N.Y. He was selected in balloting by the Baseball Writers Association of America.

He started his career as a reporter for the Boston Globe in 1969 and wrote a very popular weekly Sunday baseball column for many years. He has also worked for Sports Illustrated covering the National Hockey League, college basketball and Major League Baseball (1976-78, 1986-90).

In 1986, upon his return to Sports Illustrated as a senior writer following a second stay at the Globe, he wrote numerous stories covering some of baseball's most important news events, as well as authoring "Inside Baseball," Sports Illustrated's weekly baseball notebook.

Gammons primarily serves as a studio analyst for ESPN's Baseball Tonight, but he also does regular spots for SportsCenter, ESPNEWS and ESPN Radio and contributes to ESPN The Magazine. He is a columnist and writes a popular Weblog for ESPN.com.

Gammons is also the author of "Beyond the Sixth Game", a look at free agency.

Born April 9, 1945, Gammons is a native of Boston, raised in nearby Groton, Mass. He attended the University of North Carolina and is married to his wife, Gloria.

cumberlandreds
06-28-2006, 07:41 AM
Best of luck to Gammons. He's a true baseball fan and I have enjoyed listening to him on ESPN over the years.

RANDY IN INDY
06-28-2006, 09:33 AM
Prayers to Peter Gammons and his family.

MrCinatit
06-28-2006, 09:42 AM
I've long been a huge admirer of Mr. Gammons. My best wishes go to him.

And thank you for the huge ray of hope, 15fan. 'tis always nice to hear stories such as those.

Krusty
06-28-2006, 10:10 AM
Whether you agreed with his columns and trade rumors, he made baseball interesting especially with those trade rumors being discussed at the water cooler.

Hopefully he recovers 100 percent and give us fans those interesting tidbits that make good baseball discussion.

westofyou
06-28-2006, 11:16 AM
My boss (mid-40s female in fine health) had an aneurysm in the fall. It ruptured while she was in surgery with the microsurgeon, then again in post op. It wasn't good, by any stretch. The week Katrina hit, I was wondering when I was going to get the call that I'd be going to her funeral.

She was back working part-time in 3 months, and full-time a month after that.

She is definitely a changed person, and she has to write down a lot more notes than she did before. But she's a functioning, self-sufficient, contributing member to society.

Here's hoping Pete's recovery goes just as well.
Neil Young went through it last year too.

Redny
06-28-2006, 11:35 AM
Recovery depends greatly on the magnitude and location of the bleeding. In Neil Youngs case he caught it before there was a major rupture which was enough to allow him to go through the surgery without major damage (apparently). In Peter's case from what has been released so far it is impossible to tell what exactly happened, and what will come next. Typically when a brain aneurysm ruptures if you survive the initial event (a large percentage don't) you are in for a rather difficult surgery followed by several months of recovery from the surgery. The other part of the recovery is to deal with the damage that was done by the rupture, sometimes it is very small (Olerud), sometimes it isn't. It is a much more common event than most think.

Chip R
06-29-2006, 02:52 PM
Bad luck for Gammons that this would happen right before the trading deadline.

corkedbat
06-29-2006, 08:00 PM
Whether you agreed with his columns and trade rumors, he made baseball interesting especially with those trade rumors being discussed at the water cooler.

Hopefully he recovers 100 percent and give us fans those interesting tidbits that make good baseball discussion.

I don't always agree with him (sometimes, vehemently so), but even then his columns are good for discussion purposes.

Even though there have been times when I dislike what he writes or says, Ive never doubted his love for the game - and that's something we share. He's good for the game. Here's wishing him a speedy recovery and eventual return.

redsfanmia
06-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Bad luck for Gammons that this would happen right before the trading deadline.
Im sure he would have prefered it not happen, kind of insensitive IMO.

Chip R
06-29-2006, 08:15 PM
Im sure he would have prefered it not happen, kind of insensitive IMO.

Well, no kidding Sherlock. :rolleyes: All I'm saying is that if it had to happen it's a bad time of the season.

redsfanmia
06-29-2006, 08:32 PM
Well, no kidding Sherlock. :rolleyes: All I'm saying is that if it had to happen it's a bad time of the season.
Hello Mr Obvious longtime listner first time caller. I just thought it was insensitive. Its also unfortunate that he just released his CD.