PDA

View Full Version : Time to pick the over/under on Eric Milton's ERA

M2
06-27-2006, 10:22 PM
I went on record as saying that I didn't think he had a chance of finishing below 5.00 heading into the season, but here's your chance to make your vote on where Milton will land in the ERA derby this season. As of tonight he stands at 5.14. He was down to 4.10 earlier in the month.

OnBaseMachine
06-27-2006, 10:26 PM
6.00+

KronoRed
06-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Coin on the side

BuckeyeRedleg
06-27-2006, 11:45 PM
I think Milton will "Milton" is way back over 6.00 (again) as well.

He's already Miltoned back to 5.14, so it's just a matter of time.

Seriously, this guy may be the worst starting pitcher (180 innings per year minimum) to ever Milton is way out there....and all for 27 Million dollars.

DanO totally Miltoned the Reds organization and all it's fans.

dsmith421
06-27-2006, 11:47 PM
I wish there was some way to sue O'Brien for negligent hiring.

Patrick Bateman
06-28-2006, 12:24 AM
Milton was not as bad as it showed last season. He's really more of a 5.50 ERA type of pitcher. That's the ability he's pitched to the last 2 seasons.

With that said, I think Milton will stay above 5.00 (somewhere to the tune of 5.50) but realistically not above 6.00. He would need some bad luck for that to happen.

This was a very dissapointing performance by Milton tonight. Getting pounded by the Royals to the tune of 3 HR's allowed is really quite pathetic. Before tonight's game Milton had looked okay (by his standards) and this was really the kind of game that makes you think of last year. When you elevate your pitches like Milton did tonight you are going to get into trouble on a consistent basis.

Marc D
06-28-2006, 12:30 AM
Anyone else notice the correlation between loads of rest, Milton's degenerative knee and Milton's degenerative ERA?

Early part of ST and just after his DL stint Milton looked pretty good. Once the wear and tear starts to accumulate, its Lima time.

KronoRed
06-28-2006, 12:33 AM
Mr.O mentioned that on another thread, guess we should DL him between starts ;)

Marc D
06-28-2006, 12:47 AM
Mr.O mentioned that on another thread, guess we should DL him between starts ;)

I'm all for it. Leave him on it untill September 2007, collect the insurance and lets call it a day on this sad chapter in Reds history.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Milton was not as bad as it showed last season. He's really more of a 5.50 ERA type of pitcher. That's the ability he's pitched to the last 2 seasons.

With that said, I think Milton will stay above 5.00 (somewhere to the tune of 5.50) but realistically not above 6.00. He would need some bad luck for that to happen.

This was a very dissapointing performance by Milton tonight. Getting pounded by the Royals to the tune of 3 HR's allowed is really quite pathetic. Before tonight's game Milton had looked okay (by his standards) and this was really the kind of game that makes you think of last year. When you elevate your pitches like Milton did tonight you are going to get into trouble on a consistent basis.

Eric Milton has now made 45 starts for the Reds. What has that $12,000,000+ netted the RedLegs so far?

254.2 IP
310 H
67 BB
1.48 WHIP
5.97 ERA

53 HR (I'm not kidding)

...and for those that love wins and losses: 12-19

Whatever his excuse, Milton is beyond horrible. For 27 million over three years, his contract is an abortion. Any AAA scrub could have put up similar, if not better numbers for less than half a million at this point. He is untradable and although he is replacable by just about anyone with a pulse in our minor league system, he will continue to be carted out there and will provide many losses to the home team and many more souvenirs to come for fans in the LF bleachers.

Since he cannot be traded, I would be extremely impressed and sold on Wayne K and Castellini if Milton was DFA's tomorrow by noon.

Until then, it's just more of the same crap. Same crap, different year.

Patrick Bateman
06-28-2006, 01:08 AM
Eric Milton has now made 45 starts for the Reds. What has that $12,000,000+ netted the RedLegs so far?

254.2 IP
310 H
67 BB
1.48 WHIP
5.97 ERA

53 HR (I'm not kidding)

...and for those that love wins and losses: 12-19

Whatever his excuse, Milton is beyond horrible. For 27 million over three years, his contract is an abortion. Any AAA scrub could have put up similar, if not better numbers for less than half a million at this point. He is untradable and although he is replacable by just about anyone with a pulse in our minor league system, he will continue to be carted out there and will provide many losses to the home team and many more souvenirs to come for fans in the LF bleachers.

Since he cannot be traded, I would be extremely impressed and sold on Wayne K and Castellini if Milton was DFA's tomorrow by noon.

Until then, it's just more of the same crap. Same crap, different year.

I know the stats and I agree completely. I would have jumped at the chance to trade him while he was pitching decently. Obviously, I don't know what kind of offers we could have got for him, but if we could get out of a hefty portion of the contract I would have been filled with glee.

However, I don't think there is any reason to DFA him. We could get something of value for him. Any kinds of pitching is difficult to find. I bet we could find a team willing to cover at least 5M of the remaining length of the contract for him. A team like the Yankees or BoSox would probably be willing to give him a shot as a 5th starter.

Cedric
06-28-2006, 03:20 AM
You have to put him in the bullpen and let him rear back and bring it. That's his only chance of helping this team even slightly.

Jpup
06-28-2006, 07:49 AM
You have to put him in the bullpen and let him rear back and bring it. That's his only chance of helping this team even slightly.

I agree.:beerme:

15fan
06-28-2006, 09:23 AM

Eric Milton's benefit to the team is inversely proportional to the number of pitches he throws.

Taking that logic to the extreme, his utility would be maximized at 0 pitches thrown.

NJReds
06-28-2006, 11:05 AM
Over. He's just not that good.

Heath
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Dan O'Brien had to make a signing. Period. Instead of feeling out and bowing out gracefully after not getting a few of the others, DanO felt the noose tighten after Clement said no.

Miltie was all that's left, and Lindner had sold a few malts & shakes at UDF to cover the salary.

M2
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
So far five intrepid folks have picked the under. Just curious, is it just wishful thinking being employed there or is there something specific leading you to expect better from Milton?

flyer85
06-28-2006, 11:14 AM
this is a quite a depressing poll to contemplate. I'll just pass, too bad the Reds didn't on Milton

BRM
06-28-2006, 11:47 AM
I'll take the over. I agree with flyer though. This poll is depressing.

Az Red
06-28-2006, 05:23 PM
What is the probability that the Reds will be Miltoned out of every winning streak until he is no longer a Red?

I say above 80%.

Final ERA above 6.10

OldXOhio
06-28-2006, 05:35 PM
If Milton's ERA ends up at 4.99, does he still got stuff....damnit?

If healthy, i say below 5.00, but just barely.

redsfanmia
06-28-2006, 08:39 PM
Is there a rule on this board about constantly bashing a certain player?

M2
06-28-2006, 08:46 PM

What? Milton's carrying a 5.14 ERA. Blame him for bashing himself.

Falls City Beer
06-28-2006, 08:51 PM

When you hear comments on the board like "Milton's turned it around....," a splash of cold water is in order.

Reds Nd2
06-28-2006, 08:55 PM
Above 5.00, way above.

Highlifeman21
06-28-2006, 10:35 PM
Eric Milton's benefit to the team is inversely proportional to the number of pitches he throws.

Taking that logic to the extreme, his utility would be maximized at 0 pitches thrown.

Let's trade him to a division foe and get to face him on a regular basis!

I think Milton would look great in a Cubs uniform, but even better in a Cardinals uniform.

bottom_feeder
06-28-2006, 11:02 PM
I'd love it if he could somehow squeek out an under, but I doubt he will.

Ravenlord
06-28-2006, 11:04 PM
above 5 but less than 5.5.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-28-2006, 11:59 PM

Haven't you heard?

Anyone with "Milton" in their name is exempt.

membengal
06-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Anyone else notice the correlation between loads of rest, Milton's degenerative knee and Milton's degenerative ERA?

Early part of ST and just after his DL stint Milton looked pretty good. Once the wear and tear starts to accumulate, its Lima time.

We have a winner. This is THE salient observation regarding Milton. As long as all remember this, we can be prepared for groin kicks like last night.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 02:11 AM
Like I said..DL him for a few weeks between starts ;)

WebScorpion
06-29-2006, 02:22 AM

Perhaps he's better suited to being a long reliever(shorter stints) or 5th starter(fewer appearances)? He CAN get batters out, he just can't do it consistently. I think he'll solve the consistency issue and get it back below 5 before the season ends. Fear the Dread Pirate Roberts! :thumbup:

RFS62
06-29-2006, 09:29 AM
So far five intrepid folks have picked the under. Just curious, is it just wishful thinking being employed there or is there something specific leading you to expect better from Milton?

Every time the Exxon Milton steams into port, you can expect pyrotechnics.

Flammable by nature, this 27 million dollar tanker has a ruptured hull and the results of it's sojourns are becoming shorter in length and more and more predictable.

GAC
06-29-2006, 10:34 AM
Any AAA scrub could have put up similar, if not better numbers for less than half a million at this point.

I seriously doubt that. Those scrubs can't even hold down a job in our bullpen. ;)

So simply dumping him is he best option?

And replaced in the rotation by whom? And don't say anyone because anyone in our system would probably end up far worse then Milton.

WE HAVE NO ONE AT THIS STAGE. ;)

DFAing the guy, which means eating that contract if no one else picks it up, would be a simply ridiculous move IMO.

Why do people make such rash suggestions (even in their anger)?

Our only hope is that he pitches well enough that we can get someone to bite on him around the trading deadline.

Other then that, we're stuck until someone steps forth in this system and shows they are capable. They haven't, pure and simple.

The Lizard was the closest thing.... and we used that option up to dump Williams.... there's no fries left in the bag.

Falls City Beer
06-29-2006, 02:16 PM
I seriously doubt that. Those scrubs can't even hold down a job in our bullpen. ;)

So simply dumping him is he best option?

And replaced in the rotation by whom? And don't say anyone because anyone in our system would probably end up far worse then Milton.

WE HAVE NO ONE AT THIS STAGE. ;)

DFAing the guy, which means eating that contract if no one else picks it up, would be a simply ridiculous move IMO.

Why do people make such rash suggestions (even in their anger)?

Our only hope is that he pitches well enough that we can get someone to bite on him around the trading deadline.

Other then that, we're stuck until someone steps forth in this system and shows they are capable. They haven't, pure and simple.

The Lizard was the closest thing.... and we used that option up to dump Williams.... there's no fries left in the bag.

Dumping him IS the best option. Without a question. Every time he takes the mound he hurts the Reds; I want that to stop--I couldn't care less about how much he makes. That's immaterial.

Ltlabner
06-29-2006, 06:10 PM
Dumping him IS the best option. Without a question. Every time he takes the mound he hurts the Reds; I want that to stop--I couldn't care less about how much he makes. That's immaterial.

You couldn't care less about what he makes because it isn't your money getting flushed down the toliet. If you owned a business and simply burned up that kind of money without exploring all possible options to try to salvage some sort of value, you'd be out of business pretty quick.

Do I want them to find a better option than Milton? Of course. Do I blame them for being savy business people who want to try to squeeze something out of a lemon before discarding it? No.

dsmith421
06-29-2006, 07:21 PM
You couldn't care less about what he makes because it isn't your money getting flushed down the toliet. If you owned a business and simply burned up that kind of money without exploring all possible options to try to salvage some sort of value, you'd be out of business pretty quick.

Isn't there a theory in microeconomics regarding sunk costs that contradicts that logic?

For example, Milton is a sunk cost, it's money out of our pockets no matter what happens...so if keeping him around is actively hurting the Reds, it makes more sense to just cut ties.

Ltlabner
06-29-2006, 07:35 PM
Isn't there a theory in microeconomics regarding sunk costs that contradicts that logic? For example, Milton is a sunk cost, it's money out of our pockets no matter what happens...so if keeping him around is actively hurting the Reds, it makes more sense to just cut ties.

It's a sunk cost only if no other team is willing to deal with the Reds. And it's been too early in the season thus far for serrious trade talks to take place. Even if we can get another team to pay 1/2 or 1/3 of his sallary it's better overall for the team than paying him his entire contract to sit at home. That is what I meant by trying to get some value for him.

Lets say he pitches in 5 more games and assume he only wins 1 of them. Then he's traded to team X and they agree to pay 1/3 of his remaining contract. Are you serrious that you'd rather flush $9 million dollars (or whatever the total amount due is) down the toliet now rather than take 4 losses and flush 33% less money down the toilet? That 33% saved is money that can be spent on improving the Reds instead of paying Milton to mow his lawn. And based on the size of his contract (everybody say "thanks DanO) that's a LOT of money that could be used more effectivley.

Now, when all of the possible trade options are exausted, and it becomes clear that Milton has imploded back to 2005-Milton and we are on the hook for the entire sallary, then DFA and eating the contract makes more sense and I would agree with the move. It's just too premature to make such a rash move when real money is involved and other oportunities (of which we know nothing) might exist.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 08:34 PM
Make him the closer?

;)

GAC
06-29-2006, 09:21 PM

You may not care how much he makes, but management does. And LtlAbner explained it most eloquently.

Swallowing that size of a contract would be somewhat palatable IF they had a viable option to replace him. We don't have one right now. For cryin' out loud! - we got reject Joe Mays already starting in this rotation. ;)

And he hasn't hurt the Reds EVERY time he takes the mound this year. Look at is May stats.

Dumping him only creates a bigger void in this rotation, and really compounds the problem, where we aren't even close to having even a scrub to do what he does. It would be worse IMO.... 4 steps back.

You think dumping him is gonna make it stop? Who do you stick in his slot that is gonna do better? Name please?

The only thing to do is keep fingers crossed, hope he pitches better (or good enough) to entice someone to take him off our hands.

But very few teams are gonna take on (or even can afford to) that contract.