PDA

View Full Version : Barry Larkin -- Tonight

crazybob60
06-28-2006, 07:14 AM
So with Barry Larkin having his bobblehead giveaway tonight, does anybody here possibly know if he will be attending the game or not. I know several years ago, I believe during the second year of them giving them away, guys like Sabo and Davis came in for their bobbleheads. So does anybody have any idea with this one? Also, in a related question but a little off the beatin path, what is Larkin's official job title now and with which team and what does he exactly do with that job? Is it still with the Nationals? Does he travel with the team, like would he come to Cincy with that team when they travel? Thanks in advance

REDREAD
06-28-2006, 10:10 AM
I think he's still employed by the Nationals. I forget his exact title.

I hope Bob Cast's new regime has tried to mend relations with Larkin. Over the past several years, John Allen went out of his way to get rid of Larkin as fast as possible and to try to prevent him from visiting, etc. I assume that Bobbleheads need to be planned well in advance, so I guess Lindner/Allen's group planned this event. I doubt they wanted Barry back, they just want to use his face to sell some extra tickets

Team Clark
06-28-2006, 10:14 AM
He was asked but he declined.

redsfan30
06-28-2006, 10:28 AM
:thumbdown

I was looking forward to seeing him tonight.

crazybob60
06-28-2006, 10:31 AM
:thumbdown

I was looking forward to seeing him tonight.

the same here....so he is with the nats then? i wonder if the fence has been mended and he will visit when the nats come to town next?

IowaRed
06-28-2006, 10:36 AM

TC, do you know if it was for personal reasons? Or if there was a conflict of interest, since he works for the Nationals or if he had other business to attend to?

BuckWoody
06-28-2006, 10:38 AM
John Allen is still with the Reds so the fences might not get completely mended while he's still around. With Bob C.'s attitude about the past and his spoken desire to reach out to all the former Redlegs, I'm sure the organization has tried to get Barry here for tonight. It's most unfortunate if he's still unwilling to come.

The thing that worries me most about tonight is the big crowd factor. The Larkin bobblehead should pull in 30,000+, don't you think? What are they, like, 1-10 when they play at home in front of big crowds? Hopefully Harang is at home right now eating an extra bowl of Wheaties. :thumbup:

crazybob60
06-28-2006, 10:39 AM
John Allen is still with the Reds so the fences might not get completely mended while he's still around. With Bob C.'s attitude about the past and his spoken desire to reach out to all the former Redlegs, I'm sure the organization has tried to get Barry here for tonight. It's most unfortunate if he's still unwilling to come.

The thing that worries me most about tonight is the big crowd factor. The Larkin bobblehead should pull in 30,000+, don't you think? What are they, like, 1-10 when they play at home in front of big crowds? Hopefully Harang is at home right now eating an extra bowl of Wheaties. :thumbup:

and getting his gameface on and READY!!!!

redsfan30
06-28-2006, 10:41 AM
Harang, just like the rest of his buddies, is worse at Great American Ball Park than he is on the road.

:help:

Team Clark
06-28-2006, 10:46 AM
TC, do you know if it was for personal reasons? Or if there was a conflict of interest, since he works for the Nationals or if he had other business to attend to?

I asked his brother Steve if he was coming to town since I will be home through Wednesday. He said the Reds had asked Barry to attend and Barry politely declined.

Funny thing is Barry could be joining the Reds FO soon. I know there is still some bad blood but when do you move past that? Or do you? We all have had similar situations and we all handle them differently.

Hubba
06-28-2006, 10:47 AM
He was asked but he declined.Sounds like the same old Berry too me.

realreds1
06-28-2006, 10:56 AM
Sounds like the same old Berry too me.

Mark Berry? What would he have against a Larkin bobblehead? ;)

crazybob60
06-28-2006, 11:23 AM
I am still baffled why they are doing all shortstops this season especially since they have already had a Larkin one. I wonder if they are going to do that for every position each year? I hope that Ronnie O gets one!!!!!

westofyou
06-28-2006, 11:26 AM
I am still baffled why they are doing all shortstops this season especially since they have already had a Larkin one. I wonder if they are going to do that for every position each year? I hope that Ronnie O gets one!!!!!
Because the Reds have the greatest run of shortstops in MLB history.

redsfan30
06-28-2006, 11:27 AM
They're doing the shortstops because of this teams very rich tradition at that position. (Power of Tradition).

In the past 35-some-odd years, there have been three shortstops...Davey Concepcion, Barry Larkin and Felipe Lopez.

That's why they're focusing on the shortstop position.

westofyou
06-28-2006, 11:30 AM
They're doing the shortstops because of this teams very rich tradition at that position. (Power of Tradition).

In the past 35-some-odd years, there have been three shortstops...Davey Concepcion, Barry Larkin and Felipe Lopez.

Since 1951 they've had (except for 1969) 5 shortstops

crazybob60
06-28-2006, 11:31 AM
yeah, i know of the tradition.....been a reds fanatic all 27 years of my life!!! i just found it 'different' i suppose. and to think, back in 87 i really liked stillwell a whole LOT!!!!!

Heath
06-28-2006, 11:34 AM
Since 1951 they've had (except for 1969) 5 shortstops

I'm waiting for my Roy McMillian and Leo Cardenas bobbleheads as well.

My dad said he'd like an Eddie Kasko bobblehead, but he's afraid the glasses will fall off.

vic715
06-28-2006, 12:51 PM

My dad said he'd like an Eddie Kasko bobblehead, but he's afraid the glasses will fall off.
Kasko was the regular SS on the 61 NL Champs. Had Freeze not been severly injured in springtraing in 62 Cardenas might not have gotten a chance to play everyday.

Team Clark
06-28-2006, 01:10 PM

Will his come with a set of 'cuffs'? LOL!

VR
06-28-2006, 01:33 PM

Gimme Jeff Branson, Freddie Benavides, Tom Foley or Wade Rowden

realreds1
06-28-2006, 01:38 PM
yeah, i know of the tradition.....been a reds fanatic all 27 years of my life!!! i just found it 'different' i suppose. and to think, back in 87 i really liked stillwell a whole LOT!!!!!

I liked Stillwell a lot, too, but I think we got the better end of that stick, didn't we?

REDREAD
06-28-2006, 03:27 PM

I could see why though. John Allen sucks. :angry:

I hope in time that relations between the Reds and Larkin get healed.
I can understand why Lark wouldn't want to be paraded out to help the Reds' bottom line.

Although maybe he was willing to come, but just couldn't fit it into his schedule.

saboforthird
06-28-2006, 11:12 PM

Is it tradition, or longevity?

jimbo
06-28-2006, 11:50 PM
I could see why though. John Allen sucks. :angry:

I can understand why Lark wouldn't want to be paraded out to help the Reds' bottom line.

Although maybe he was willing to come, but just couldn't fit it into his schedule.

I agree. I still say Allen should have been sent packing right along with O'Brien. At least he does not have the power now that he did under Lindner.

Maybe Larkin just couldn't fit it into his schedule. He does have an obligation first and foremost to the Nationals. Heck, maybe Bowden had a say in it also.

KoryMac5
06-29-2006, 12:12 AM
When you are working for one team it is awful hard for you to come back to another organization for bobblehead night. I think for Barry it just wouldn't have felt right. If it had been something else like a uniform number being retired maybe he would have reconsidered.

REDREAD
06-29-2006, 02:32 PM
I agree. I still say Allen should have been sent packing right along with O'Brien. At least he does not have the power now that he did under Lindner.

Maybe Larkin just couldn't fit it into his schedule. He does have an obligation first and foremost to the Nationals. Heck, maybe Bowden had a say in it also.

I agree that maybe it wasn't personal. Maybe Larkin had a conflict or the Nationals wouldn't let him go.

Thankfully, this is the last year of Allen's contract that his buddy Lindner gave him (Lindner gave Allen a huge contract to reward Allen for screwing over the city all those years). I'm hoping that after this year, Allen will be kicked to the curb. It's a good sign that Cast immediately removed Allen from all baseball decisions. It's also a good sign that Kullman and a lot of the other Lindner dreck was removed. My hope is that Cast figured Allen could balance the books for a year to finish out his contract, and then he'll be let go.
It's generally not a good idea to keep incompetent executives around from previous regimes. I don't think it would be a good idea to keep Allen around even if he was demoted. Let Allen get a job from his buddy Selig (I'm sure all that brown nosing Allen has done to Selig will pay off).

REDREAD
06-29-2006, 02:35 PM
When you are working for one team it is awful hard for you to come back to another organization for bobblehead night. I think for Barry it just wouldn't have felt right. If it had been something else like a uniform number being retired maybe he would have reconsidered.

Not to mention that when Barry visited spring training after he retired, Allen threw a hissy fit and basically banned Barry from the Reds.

I doubt Barry comes back until Allen is gone.

Another problem is that Marty was a real jerk about Larkin. Larkin comes up to say goodbye to the radio guys on his last day, and Marty whines about how it was such a classless thing to do. Marty took every opportunity to rip Larkin. Now, I doubt that Lark cares what Marty says, but Marty would probably make some lame sarcastic remarks if Barry did show up.

BuckWoody
06-29-2006, 03:32 PM
Along these same lines, I wonder if Davey will be at the ballpark on August 9 for his bobblehead game. Has anyone heard anything about that?

TeamBoone
06-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Another problem is that Marty was a real jerk about Larkin. Larkin comes up to say goodbye to the radio guys on his last day, and Marty whines about how it was such a classless thing to do. Marty took every opportunity to rip Larkin. Now, I doubt that Lark cares what Marty says, but Marty would probably make some lame sarcastic remarks if Barry did show up.

I always got the impression that Marty was ticked (jealous?) that Barry bought Bernie Stowe that car the year before he left.

REDREAD
06-30-2006, 09:29 AM
I always got the impression that Marty was ticked (jealous?) that Barry bought Bernie Stowe that car the year before he left.

That could very well be it. I never considered that, but Marty probably couldn't believe that Bernie got a gift instead of him, because the world should revolve around Marty :laugh:

There was no need for Marty to bash Lark the last couple of years. It really shows what a small person Marty really is. Frankly, I can't wait until Marty retires. Steve is not perfect (still too bland and emotionless), but he stays on topic most of the time and doesn't use the microphone as his personal pulpit.

gonelong
06-30-2006, 10:29 AM
I miss Larkin ... a lot.

I find myself feeling a bit guilty for not fully appreciating him when he was with us.

GL

vic715
06-30-2006, 02:05 PM
If you really want to piss Marty off (and I would) activate Larkin on Sept.1st for a final trip around.He deserves a proper send off into retirement and If we're in this race in September then he'd be great guy on the bench for leadership if nothing else.Hopefully John Allen wouldn't like it either.
just an opinion

tsj017
06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Where's the Darrel Chaney bobblehead?

princeton
06-30-2006, 03:03 PM
We all have had similar situations and we all handle them differently.

really, did you go to your bobblehead night? Because, like Barry Larkin, I passed on mine

2001MUgrad
06-30-2006, 07:41 PM
Because the Reds have the greatest run of shortstops in MLB history.

We Finally agree on something!!!

TeamBoone
07-18-2006, 02:31 PM
I could see why though. John Allen sucks.

I agree... he does, after all, have a job.

OnBaseMachine
07-18-2006, 02:41 PM
I miss Larkin ... a lot.

I find myself feeling a bit guilty for not fully appreciating him when he was with us.

GL

Same here.

A few days ago I found myself thinking about Larkin and how much I miss him, that I actually logged onto the Reds website and went into the video archives and re-watched every Larkin highlight from the 2004 season. What an incredible player he was. He's a HOFer IMO, and I guarantee you I will be in Cooperstown to watch him inducted when the time comes.

I hope the Reds can somehow get him back in this organization.

07-18-2006, 05:21 PM
I agree... he does, after all, have a job.

Yeah, and with Lopez there now, Larkin might have to put in a little overtime...:)