PDA

View Full Version : Are Milton's legs fragile?

RedsFan75
06-28-2006, 08:07 AM
Theory.

Sliding into second last night hurt his knee. He didn't pitch as effectively afterward, and went from a decent performance to a Milton of old performance.

Discuss.

Am I just "wanting" Milton to be a good pitcher so much that I'm seeing things that aren't, or is there a possibility that his legs are that fragile that a slide into second will throw him off?

bigdaddy
06-28-2006, 08:09 AM
Is it true that Eric Milton is the Reds highest paid pitcher? I know he has had injuries since he came to the Reds. Last night, it looked like he was throwing batting practice to the Royals. The announcers mentioned that he might but hurt again after sliding into 2nd base. He is very fragile and non-consistant.

Redhook
06-28-2006, 08:13 AM
Yes, he's the highest paid pitcher...by far. He's making $9.83 million this year. Hopefully he's not hurt again because we need him to pitch similar to how he was earlier this year to have a chance.

Redhook
06-28-2006, 08:19 AM
Not a bad theory at all. Could be true. Hopefully he's not hurt. We need him to pitch well. I just don't understand Milton at all. He's either pitches exceptionally well or absolutely abysmal. He's had 7 games where he's given up 3 runs or less. In the other 4 games he given up 5, 6, 6, and 9 earned runs. Not consistent enough for a $9.83 million dollar pitcher. It'd be nice if he just gave up 3-4 runs over 6-8 innings every time. Not great, but good enough for this team.

redsmetz
06-28-2006, 08:22 AM
Not a bad theory and if that's true, then lets unload him on an AL team. Either that or he needs to be told not to be overly aggressive on the basepaths.

Newman4
06-28-2006, 08:29 AM
Before he slid into second though he grooved a fastball to Brown for the 1st HR. I thought he should have been pulled when the first baserunner reached after the third HR to leadoff the sixth. (Also, I thought someone should have been up in the pen at this point as well) Maybe this is just not the case with MLB, but when I coached summer league baseball, I alway went by the "unwritten" rule with pitchers with a lead as to when to remove them:

After 5 inninngs, do not let the tying run come to the plate. Thus, Milton should have been pulled after he allowed the first baserunner after the HR in the sixth.

Newman4
06-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Eric Milton p
3 years/$25.5M (2005-07), plus incentives

$4M signing bonus
05:$4M, 06:$8.5M, 07:$9M
may opt out of final season (2007) by hitting incentives
4 years/$21M (2001-04), plus $0.85M incentives
01:$2.15M, 02:$3.85, 03:$6M, 04:$9M
agent: Casey Close, IMG
ML service: 8.000

BuckWoody
06-28-2006, 08:34 AM
Before he slid into second though he grooved a fastball to Brown for the 1st HR. I thought he should have been pulled when the first baserunner reached after the third HR to leadoff the sixth. (Also, I thought someone should have been up in the pen at this point as well) Maybe this is just not the case with MLB, but when I coached summer league baseball, I alway went by the "unwritten" rule with pitchers with a lead as to when to remove them:

After 5 inninngs, do not let the tying run come to the plate. Thus, Milton should have been pulled after he allowed the first baserunner after the HR in the sixth.
You may have had a better bullpen in summer league baseball. ;)

Redhook
06-28-2006, 08:40 AM
Eric Milton p
may opt out of final season (2007) by hitting incentives

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that not only will he not hit these incentives, if he did, he'd still be here for 2007 anyway. Does anyone know what the incentives are? Or is it a moot point because we're stuck with him no matter what?

Newman4
06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
Did anyone else think that Standridge didn't look like he was loosen up yet when he came in?

wheels
06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
How many Eric Milton threads are we going to have today?

RANDY IN INDY
06-28-2006, 08:47 AM
Milton was not driving to the plate last night, which is an ongoing problem when he starts stinking it up. I don't think the knee will allow him to drive down and bend, which on most occasions, ends with him leaving the ball up in the strike zone. Last night, he looked very much the same as he did last season. I don't think it was a result of the slide into second. I think the knee is just not able to support the mechanics he needs to employ to be successful.

I was afraid this would happen to Milton as the season wore on. If there is anyone willing to take him on right now, it would be the perfect time to unload him. I am not too optimistic about that happening, as the scouts are probably seeing the same thing I am.

Newman4
06-28-2006, 08:53 AM
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that not only will he not hit these incentives, if he did, he'd still be here for 2007 anyway. Does anyone know what the incentives are? Or is it a moot point because we're stuck with him no matter what?

It's a player option. He can either become a free agent or make 9 million dollars in 2007. We can all imagine what he'll do. :angry:

crazybob60
06-28-2006, 09:27 AM

I will go out on a limb and say that it is a moot point regardless...we are going to be stuck with him.

RedsFan75
06-28-2006, 11:51 AM
Milton was not driving to the plate last night, which is an ongoing problem when he starts stinking it up. I don't think the knee will allow him to drive down and bend, which on most occasions, ends with him leaving the ball up in the strike zone. Last night, he looked very much the same as he did last season. I don't think it was a result of the slide into second. I think the knee is just not able to support the mechanics he needs to employ to be successful.

I was afraid this would happen to Milton as the season wore on. If there is anyone willing to take him on right now, it would be the perfect time to unload him. I am not too optimistic about that happening, as the scouts are probably seeing the same thing I am.

I think you've hit the nail on the head Randy, the legs failing to support the mechanics is the best analysis yet.

Gallen5862
06-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Should the Reds put him on the Dl to give him a chance to regain his leg strength and then do some rehab assignments? I think that would work that way all star break would be part of his 15 days and could open up a roster spot for EE or maybe Germano?

M2
06-28-2006, 02:27 PM
Are Milton's legs fragile? Does the Pope poop in the woods. Does a bear wear a pointy hat?

Yeah his legs are fragile. He's got a degenerative knee condition THAT WILL NEVER IMPROVE.

gonelong
06-28-2006, 02:59 PM
Are Milton's legs fragile? Does the Pope poop in the woods. Does a bear wear a pointy hat?

Yeah his legs are fragile. He's got a degenerative knee condition THAT WILL NEVER IMPROVE.

From the Milton signing thread ...
http://www.redszone.com/forums/showpost.php?p=526574&postcount=537

After Milton's late-March knee surgery, details came out about the severe deterioration that was found despite his relatively youthful age of 27 (he's now 28). His surgeon, Dr. Thomas Rosenberg had operated earlier in 2003 on Tiger Woods, but unlike Woods' relatively simple surgery, Rosenberg found Milton's knee required much more extensive work. In the procedure, Rosenberg removed more than 30 discreet pieces of cartilage from both the medial and lateral meniscus. He was also forced to debride what was described as significant osteoarthritis from the knee both above and below the joint. As you can see from this illustration and description of similar procedures, Milton's knee likely looked like that of a much older person that may at some point be a candidate for complete joint replacement in order to maintain function.

GL

Falls City Beer
06-28-2006, 03:04 PM
The union would raise eighty kinds of hell if Milton was DL-ed for two years, regardless of whether or not Milton was paid every cent of his salary.

ochre
06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Milton = Long Relief/spot starter.

It's sunk costs, why run him out there every five days when the evidence indicates his body can't handle it?

Falls City Beer
06-28-2006, 03:16 PM
Milton = Long Relief/spot starter.

It's sunk costs, why run him out there every five days when the evidence indicates his body can't handle it?

It really is the only solution, but the Reds simply refuse to play hardball with their players, unless it's to release them.

It's as though they can't massage realignments into place. They either release a player or they do nothing about it.

Ron Madden
06-29-2006, 03:36 AM
Theory.

Sliding into second last night hurt his knee. He didn't pitch as effectively afterward, and went from a decent performance to a Milton of old performance.

Discuss.

Am I just "wanting" Milton to be a good pitcher so much that I'm seeing things that aren't, or is there a possibility that his legs are that fragile that a slide into second will throw him off?

Eric Milton only has one knee. Everyone in baseball knows it.
For the love of God.. O'Brien knew it when he signed Milton.

The only people on earth who didn't know it were Carl Lindner and Reds Fans.

Most Reds Fans get thier information from local media.

The local media goes no further than to repeat Marty's opinions

Thank God For The Internet.