PDA

View Full Version : Jeff Weaver anyone?

Deepred05
06-28-2006, 09:34 AM
Report in Southern California paper says the Angels are shopping Weaver, and are willing to pay most of his 8 million salary. I say it couldn't hurt at this point.

Joseph
06-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Pay most of his salary and take back Yan?

BRM
06-28-2006, 09:35 AM
His numbers are actually worse than Milton's.

flyer85
06-28-2006, 09:36 AM
Report in Southern California paper says the Angels are shopping Weaver, and are willing to pay most of his 8 million salary. after his start last night they might be willing to pay it all

NJReds
06-28-2006, 09:36 AM
I'd take him off their hands if they paid half his salary and threw in Donnelly.

Deepred05
06-28-2006, 09:38 AM
He has had flashes this year. When his brother was called up, he seemed to pitch all right. Perhaps a kick in the a** and a change of scenery?

princeton
06-28-2006, 09:51 AM
Next on Lifetime:

Cain and Abel, the Story of the Weaver Brothers.

Johnny Footstool
06-28-2006, 09:52 AM
Make him the closer.

flyer85
06-28-2006, 09:59 AM
seems like the Reds probably have better bets at AAA in Germano and Dumatrait than in washed up guys like Weaver and Mays.

Spitball
06-28-2006, 10:07 AM
Make him the closer.

I agree. Some of the best closers, Eckersley, Isringhausen, Gordon, et al, have been guys who could no longer cut it as starters. After watching the AL beat up on the NL teams in these interleague games, I'm thinking a move back to the NL might help any pitcher. Also, just last year Weaver's strikeout to walk ratio of 3.65 was eighth in the league.

flyer85
06-28-2006, 10:15 AM
Some of the best closers, Eckersley, Isringhausen, Gordon these examples are guys who had superior "stuff", something that Weaver decidely does not have.

BRM
06-28-2006, 10:46 AM
seems like the Reds probably have better bets at AAA in Germano and Dumatrait than in washed up guys like Weaver and Mays.

Joe Mays was good back in the day.

NJReds
06-28-2006, 10:52 AM
these examples are guys who had superior "stuff", something that Weaver decidely does not have.

I was under the impression that Weaver has excellent "stuff" but that he just doesn't know how to use it. (million dollar arm, ten cent head)

M2
06-28-2006, 10:57 AM
Trade Milton for him and stick him in the bullpen.

Spitball
06-28-2006, 11:12 AM
these examples are guys who had superior "stuff", something that Weaver decidely does not have.

How about some evidence with your dismissal?

Eckersley was 6-11 with a 4.57 ERA the last season he was a full-time starter. Turning to relief dropped his ERA to 3.03 and the following season to 2.35 when he became a closer.

Isringhausen, throwing out his healthy rookie record, was 9-20 over four following seasons with ERA's of 4.77, 7.58, 4.73, and 6.41. His first full season in Oakland and as a closer saw his ERA dropped to 3.78

Gordan had a 5.59 ERA his last season as a full-timestarter. It was 2.72 in his first season as a full-time closer.

I believe these guys had no better stuff than Weaver has right now.

M2
06-28-2006, 11:23 AM
Eck, Izzy and especially Gordon had/have some killer stuff. Weaver's got a slider that doesn't fool LHBs at all and his velocity is well below Gordon's or Izzy's when he's on. Eck had crazy movement on his fastball and pinpoint control of it.

Though I could imagine Weaver being at least as good as Ryan Dempster.

Johnny Footstool
06-28-2006, 11:53 AM
I'd wager that as a closer, he'd be able to cut loose and gain 5 mph on his fastball. Plus he seems to be a Grade-A jackass, which might lend itself to a closer's mentality. If the Angels are picking up most of his contract, I'd take the chance.

flyer85
06-28-2006, 11:58 AM
I was under the impression that Weaver has excellent "stuff" but that he just doesn't know how to use it. (million dollar arm, ten cent head)maybe when he first came up but his days of throwing 93-94 are over. Whenever I have watched him the last couple of years he generally worked at 86-88 with his fastball.

Spitball
06-28-2006, 12:01 PM
Eck, Izzy and especially Gordon had/have some killer stuff. Weaver's got a slider that doesn't fool LHBs at all and his velocity is well below Gordon's or Izzy's when he's on. Eck had crazy movement on his fastball and pinpoint control of it.

Though I could imagine Weaver being at least as good as Ryan Dempster.

Weaver doesn't throw a slider. What you are seeing is a quick breaking slurve. And, I've seen all the pitchers mentioned, thanks.

flyer85
06-28-2006, 12:01 PM
I believe these guys had no better stuff than Weaver has right now.all of these guys threw a good 5 mph or harder than the current version of Weaver and his 88 mph fastball. In addition they each had a killer secondary pitch (Eck-slider, Izzy-curve, Gordon-curve) that Weaver does not have.

flyer85
06-28-2006, 12:03 PM
I'd wager that as a closer, he'd be able to cut loose and gain 5 mph on his fastball. I wouldn't.

Johnny Footstool
06-28-2006, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't.

Any reason?

Usually, starters who convert to closers find extra MPH since they don't have to pace themselves.

flyer85
06-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Any reason?

Usually, starters who convert to closers find extra MPH since they don't have to pace themselves.some do and some don't. Weaver is a guy who has lost a lot off in fastball in the last 3-4 years. Trying to dial it up a notch would seem to be a sure way to generate further arm issues.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 01:14 AM
If they want to pay for him why not? has to be better then most of the pen

BRM
06-30-2006, 12:01 PM
The Angels plan to DFA Jeff Weaver.

ANAHEIM – For now, the Angels will have to wait for another flight from a minor-league town to try to patch their problems.

The team plans to bring up rookie pitcher Jered Weaver from Triple-A Salt Lake after a two-week demotion and to designate his brother, Jeff, for assignment - a move likely to take place today.

The Angels still could get some talent in return for Jeff Weaver, but they are resigned to swallowing the remaining $4million they owe him. The Angels would have 10 days to trade the elder Weaver.

Several teams are desperate enough for pitching that they will make a run at trading for him, especially since it is likely to cost them only about $150,000.

Jered Weaver likely will pitch Monday or Tuesday in Seattle. The Angels tried to trade his older brother for weeks but found no teams willing to pay a pitcher with a 3-10 record and 6.29 ERA that much money. The story will be different if the Angels pay his salary. They might at least get a prospect in the deal.

"There are so many teams looking for pitching and so many teams in the race, somebody will take this guy," one veteran NL scout said.

Angels general manager Bill Stoneman would neither confirm nor deny the move, but he said, "Our situation is a little different than other clubs, mainly because our pitching is deep. We've got guys waiting at the Triple-A level."

LINK (http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/sports/abox/article_1197929.php)

Spitball
06-30-2006, 02:21 PM
I know his last outing was against an NL team, but maybe getting away from all those big bullies in the AL would help him.

flyer85
06-30-2006, 02:27 PM
I know his last outing was against an NL team, but maybe getting away from all those big bullies in the AL would help him.then again maybe it wouldn't.

NJReds
06-30-2006, 02:33 PM
If they can get him cheap, I wouldn't be against the Reds picking him up and giving him a shot in the bullpen.

flyer85
06-30-2006, 02:48 PM
If they can get him cheap, I wouldn't be against the Reds picking him up and giving him a shot in the bullpen.He is a sucky crafty veteran type, which means he would fit perfectly.

RANDY IN INDY
06-30-2006, 02:54 PM
If Weaver has anything left in the tank, he might make a good closer. He has a bit of a nasty "attitude," which in my opinion, this Reds bullpen could use.

flyer85
06-30-2006, 02:58 PM
If Weaver has anything left in the tank, he might make a good closer. He has a bit of a nasty "attitude," ."Nasty stuff" would go a lot farther than "nasty attitude" toward being a successful reliever.

NJReds
06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
He is a sucky crafty veteran type, which means he would fit perfectly.

Well if they're not going to give any of the minor league guys a shot, then they'll have to keep auditioning veteran "crap".

flyer85
06-30-2006, 02:59 PM
Well if they're not going to give any of the minor league guys a shot, then they'll have to keep auditioning veteran "crap".:help:

Spitball
06-30-2006, 06:18 PM
But, Weaver actually had one of his best seasons just last year. He had career highs in wins and strikeouts. His strikeout/walk ratio was a pretty nice 157/43. For next to nothing, I'd give him a shot.

penantboundreds
06-30-2006, 06:30 PM
flyer do you have like a personal vendetta against him? why not give him a shot instead of running out garbage in the 7th and 8th....but coffey stays at closer, imo

Gallen5862
06-30-2006, 06:48 PM
Hey offer Hammonds and Weathers or Merker for Weaver and them picking up most of Weavers salary. :)

flyer85
06-30-2006, 07:13 PM
But, Weaver actually had one of his best seasons just last year. He had career highs in wins and strikeouts. His strikeout/walk ratio was a pretty nice 157/43. For next to nothing, I'd give him a shot.Rick White had one of his best seasons just last year (ERA well below 4)

Spitball
06-30-2006, 07:21 PM
Rick White had one of his best seasons just last year (ERA well below 4)

I'm not sure that is a valid indicator.

flyer85
06-30-2006, 07:48 PM
I'm not sure that is a valid indicator.same could be said in looking at one year for Weaver instead of taking into account his work over the last 5 years.

My poiny was it is a good idea for a player with an established track record to not look at one year in isolation.

KronoRed
06-30-2006, 10:49 PM
If he can pitch 1 inning without giving up runs he would be an improvement, most of the pen can't accomplish that one.

RANDY IN INDY
07-01-2006, 07:25 AM
"Nasty stuff" would go a lot farther than "nasty attitude" toward being a successful reliever.

If he has anything left in the tank. I think I said that.

Krusty
07-01-2006, 09:53 AM
Weaver is toast. The only good season he had was last year in a pitcher's ballpark called Dodger Stadium.

We are unloading the likes of White and Hammond and now we want to take on Weaver? Pass.

RANDY IN INDY
07-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I'd also pass on some of the current "talent":confused:that rests in the Cincy pen.

Caveat Emperor
07-01-2006, 12:46 PM
He is a sucky crafty veteran type, which means he would fit perfectly.

Better him than Joe Mays, IMO.

edabbs44
07-01-2006, 01:01 PM
Weaver is toast. The only good season he had was last year in a pitcher's ballpark called Dodger Stadium.

We are unloading the likes of White and Hammond and now we want to take on Weaver? Pass.
If he is ridiculously cheap, which is what it looks like, then he is worth a shot.

Spitball
07-01-2006, 02:31 PM
same could be said in looking at one year for Weaver instead of taking into account his work over the last 5 years.

My poiny was it is a good idea for a player with an established track record to not look at one year in isolation.

Okay, then let's then let's not isolate on 2006 because his median numbers over the previous five years are much more similar to his 2005 numbers. And, those numbers are worth taking an inexpensive gamble.

Jpup
07-05-2006, 07:14 AM
Bill Shanklin, in the LA paper, meantioned the Reds as being possibly interested in Weaver. The Dodgers are more likely to pick him up.

Like M2 said, I would trade Milton for him and see what happens. He couldn't be any worse.

Mainspark
07-05-2006, 11:08 PM
SEATTLE (AP) — The Los Angeles Angels traded disappointing right-hander Jeff Weaver to the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday night for minor league outfielder Terry Evans.
Weaver, 29, was designated for assignment by the Angels last Friday after going 6-10 with a 6.29 ERA in 16 starts this season. He signed a one-year, $8.3 million contract with Los Angeles as a free agent during the offseason.
Los Angeles general manager Bill Stoneman said the Cardinals will assume Weaver’s contract, but the Angels will give St. Louis an undisclosed amount of cash in the deal.
Weaver’s tenure with the Angels ended in strange fashion last Friday as the club called up his 23-year-old brother, Jered, from Triple-A Salt Lake to replace him in the rotation and on the roster. The rookie right-hander is 5-0 in his first five starts for Los Angeles, including a 7-1 victory over the Mariners on Monday night.
Jeff Weaver went 14-11 with the Los Angeles Dodgers last season, his second with the club. St. Louis will be his fifth league team following earlier stints with Detroit and the New York Yankees.
He has a career record of 81-97 with an ERA of 4.55 in 225 starts.
“We feel that Weaver is someone who can come in and lend immediate help and depth to our rotation,” Cardinals general manager Walt Jocketty said after St. Louis’ 14-4 loss at Atlanta.
Weaver allowed 114 hits, including 18 homers, and walked 21 and struck out 62 in 88 2-3 innings this season with the Angels. Opponents had a .309 average against him.
“I did expect to be able to trade him. I didn’t know we’d get a guy as much as we like Evans,” Stoneman said during Los Angeles’ game against the Seattle Mariners.
Evans, 24, was hitting .311 with seven homers and 20 RBIs in 21 games with Double-A Springfield. He began this season with Class A Palm Beach, hitting .307 with 15 homers and 45 RBIs in 60 games.
Evans was drafted in the 47th round by St. Louis in 2001. He will be sent to Double-A Arkansas of the Texas League and will be tried out in center field.
Stoneman said one team offered major league talent for Weaver, but the Angels wanted a top prospect. They think they got one in Evans.
“You look at the numbers,” Stoneman said, “he’s hit a lot of home runs.”

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2006, 12:47 AM
The price was certainly right for the Cards. Evans is AAA fodder at best.

CougarQuest
07-06-2006, 12:51 AM
Just like the old saying: One man's junk is another man's garbage

GAC
07-06-2006, 06:53 AM
Just like the old saying: One man's junk is another man's garbage

Exactly. The Card's rotation is really struggling. Not saying our's isn't; but let them pay that salary.

The Angels thank them. ;)

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2006, 09:28 AM
The Angels are paying part of his salary.

M2
07-06-2006, 09:41 AM
Well, Dave Duncan's going to need to be a genius if the Cardinals want to get anything out of Weaver this season.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 09:44 AM
Well, Dave Duncan's going to need to be a genius if the Cardinals want to get anything out of Weaver this season.

how long is Weaver's contract?

M2
07-06-2006, 11:04 AM
how long is Weaver's contract?

Just one year. That's why I liked swapping Milton for him. Making Milton, and his contract, disappear before 2007 should be a priority for Krivsky.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 11:07 AM
Just one year. That's why I liked swapping Milton for him. Making Milton, and his contract, disappear before 2007 should be a priority for Krivsky.

that might be asking too much.

M2
07-06-2006, 11:37 AM
that might be asking too much.

I dare to dream. Mind you, the time to peddle him was a month ago. If Weaver goes belly up, maybe the Cardinals would be interested.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 12:10 PM
I dare to dream. Mind you, the time to peddle him was a month ago. If Weaver goes belly up, maybe the Cardinals would be interested.

nobody in the division, surely, is dumb enough to take him. They have seen him too much.

I was thinking more along the lines of the Dodgers. I'm not sure Ned Colletti is all that bright. just my observation of him.

MattyHo4Life
07-06-2006, 12:15 PM

I'm still hoping that the Cards wisen up and put Wainwright in the rotation.

M2
07-06-2006, 12:21 PM
I'm still hoping that the Cards wisen up and put Wainwright in the rotation.

I'm sure Larussa's already white-knuckling it with one kid in the rotation. Two and his head might explode.

flyer85
07-06-2006, 12:24 PM
I'm still hoping that the Cards wisen up and put Wainwright in the rotation.the problem he has is that Wainwright has been his best relief pitcher. The Cards entire staff is much like the Reds, very tenuous.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 12:29 PM
I'm sure Larussa's already white-knuckling it with one kid in the rotation. Two and his head might explode.

Reyes looked pretty week in his last start against Atlanta. If that is the real Anthony Reyes, he's not very good.

flyer85
07-06-2006, 12:31 PM
Reyes looked pretty week in his last start against Atlanta. If that is the real Anthony Reyes, he's not very good.Reyes also pitched 8 innings on 1 hit ball against the ChiSox, an impressive outing. He is a young starter and has been inconsistent, however, the talent seems to be there.

MattyHo4Life
07-06-2006, 12:32 PM
the problem he has is that Wainwright has been his best relief pitcher. The Cards entire staff is much like the Reds, very tenuous.

That's true, but I'd take a good starter over a good reliever anyday. Wainwright is in the pen this year only because the Cards felt they had too many good starting pitchers. That is no longer the case. The Cardinals are counting on Wainwright being in the rotation next year, but they need him there now.

M2
07-06-2006, 12:38 PM
NL Central team ERA's in June:

Milwaukee - 4.36
Cincinnati - 4.68
Houston - 4.72
Chicago - 4.95
Pittsburgh - 5.60
St. Louis - 6.09

Houston has the best potential pitching with Clemens back. If Milwaukee's stabilized its pitching (worst ERA in the NL for the season) then it's going to stay in the hunt. The Reds have a two-man staff, but that might be enough if no one else in the division can address their own gaping wounds. St. Louis has hemorrhaged. That team is just trying not to flatline at the moment.

MattyHo4Life
07-06-2006, 01:08 PM
The Cardinals pitching staff is a wreck, it's a wonder they are still in first place. Weaver may or may not be the answer, but he certainly can't hurt.

flyer85
07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
The Cardinals pitching staff is a wreck, it's a wonder they are still in first place. Weaver may or may not be the answer, but he certainly can't hurt.they have reached the point where doing nothing is no longer an option.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 01:10 PM
The Cardinals pitching staff is a wreck, it's a wonder they are still in first place. Weaver may or may not be the answer, but he certainly can't hurt.

So, who's going to loose their rotation spot? Suppan or Ponson?

MattyHo4Life
07-06-2006, 01:13 PM

My bet is on Ponson. He has been horrible since returning. Suppan has a much better track record with the Cardinals, so he will get more chances than Ponson does. Ponson is starting tonight, so a lot rides on how he pitches against the Astros.

MattyHo4Life
they have reached the point where doing nothing is no longer an option.

True, and Duncan seems to think he can help Weaver.

NJReds

I'd guess Ponson now, and Suppan (if he doesn't find his stuff) when Mulder comes back.