PDA

View Full Version : Reds reward Narron, Krivsky

NatiRedGals
06-28-2006, 12:54 PM
http://img162.imageshack.us/img162/2391/part19qw.png (http://imageshack.us)
http://img281.imageshack.us/img281/4016/part29yh.png (http://imageshack.us)
I dont mind any of this except for the Narron thing hope he changes my mind and makes it to the playoffs this year he still gets me a wondering sometime:beerme:

CincyReds2003
06-28-2006, 12:59 PM
Now hopefully, the team can reap more rewards with either acquiring a closer in the next few weeks, or bringing some of these guys up from the minors.

NatiRedGals
06-28-2006, 01:01 PM
Now hopefully, the team can reap more rewards with either acquiring a closer in the next few weeks, or bringing some of these guys up from the minors.

Exactlly what I mean bout Narron proving me wrong if he do good with this minor leaguers or accquire some good pitching and use it wisely and make it to the big PF then hell he shut my mouth :laugh:

Reds4Life
06-28-2006, 01:02 PM
Fine with the Krivsky extension, Narron.............not so fine.

Team Clark
06-28-2006, 01:08 PM
Good job all around. Breeds confidence and keeps the continuity.

redsmetz
06-28-2006, 01:10 PM
I like this move for the stability it gives the team. Narron no longer has a cloud over him and everyone crowing about "he's not Bob C & Wayne's guy". I can't stand listening to Narron, but I think he's great at juggling this motley crew. Now, Wayne, find some pitching!!!!

Red Leader
06-28-2006, 01:13 PM
I was gone for a week or so from the board. Who did we give Cleveland for Phillips? In this article it said that it was a minor league pitcher...

I know we gave up Bobby Basham for David Ross, just didn't know the PTBN in the Phillips deal had already been named...

oneupper
06-28-2006, 01:14 PM
Don't like the extension for Narron. Too early.
This reeks of the extension Miley got after half a season of good ball in 2004.

RichRed
06-28-2006, 01:33 PM
Don't like the extension for Narron. Too early.
This reeks of the extension Miley got after half a season of good ball in 2004.

Totally agree. This move will look pretty bad if the Reds tank in the second half and Narron hasn't shown he understands how to construct a batting order that maximizes run production. The extension could've waited.

No problem with the Krivsky extension though.

VR
06-28-2006, 01:41 PM
I was gone for a week or so from the board. Who did we give Cleveland for Phillips? In this article it said that it was a minor league pitcher...

I know we gave up Bobby Basham for David Ross, just didn't know the PTBN in the Phillips deal had already been named...

Jeff Stevens, Dayton chaff.

Red Leader
06-28-2006, 01:53 PM
Jeff Stevens, Dayton chaff.

Niiice. Thanks, VR.

icehole3
06-28-2006, 02:06 PM
Im glad they resigned Krispy

TeamBoone
06-28-2006, 02:09 PM
I guess I'm on the fence about this.

Do I like Narron? For the most part, yes, I do but I also think this was premature. I kind of think the guy should put in a full season before being evaluated.

Do I like Krivsky? Yes, I love him! But again, I think this action was even more premature. Four months or so on the job?

KittyDuran
06-28-2006, 02:12 PM

Do I like Narron? For the most part, yes, I do but I also think this was premature. I kind of think the guy should put in a full season before being evaluated.

Do I like Krivsky? Yes, I love him! But again, I think this action was even more premature. Four months or so on the job?Well, in a way JN has put in a full season - only it's last half of 2005 and the 1st half of 2006...;)

BuckWoody
06-28-2006, 02:18 PM
I'm all about extending Krivsky, no problem there. I'm not sure about Narron though. Hopefully time will prove it to be a good move. At the very least, Sweet Lou can stop looking for a house in Cincinnati. :)

RedsManRick
06-28-2006, 02:23 PM
I don't think the manager makes enough of a difference for me to care. The stability will only help.

TeamBoone
06-28-2006, 02:31 PM
I don't think the manager makes enough of a difference for me to care. The stability will only help.

Some aspects, no; others, a resounding YES.... lineups, double switches, late game defensive changes (especially those that occur in the 7th inning), come to mind immediately.

CTA513
06-28-2006, 02:41 PM

The only guys they will probably bring up is some old guys who have been in the minors forever. The young guys probably wont get a shot until the rosters expand.

:help:

StillFunkyB
06-28-2006, 02:44 PM
Krivs needs a new suit. The one in that pic looks like something left behind by the last guy.

corkedbat
06-28-2006, 02:50 PM
Krivs always reminds me of Jack's dad on "LOST" - the drunken dead neurologist. :D

savafan
06-28-2006, 02:51 PM

Tell that to the Detroit Tiger fans.

VR
06-28-2006, 02:52 PM
Some aspects, no; others, a resounding YES.... lineups, double switches, late game defensive changes (especially those that occur in the 7th inning), come to mind immediately.

I give both Narron and Kriv a free pass on the bullpen this year. Krivsky came in late when there no chance to impact the bully.

Narron has about 1/3 of a competent bullpen staff to manage.....and no Tom Hume coddling these guys as in year's past. I really think the loss of Ruhle has been a huge impact to the pen, because it has pushed Tom out of his teaching mode and into more of a generalized/ global/ administrative realm. While it seems to have done well for the starters, the pen is a train wreck.

registerthis
06-28-2006, 02:57 PM
Maybe this will put an end to that idiotic speculation that the reds were intentionally tanking so that narron wouldn't have to be re-signed.

savafan
06-28-2006, 02:58 PM
that should end the Lou Piniella rumors too

markymark69
06-28-2006, 03:00 PM

Not to be a smart-elic. But Narron has managed for more 162 games (i.e. one season). He has an above .500 record during that time, there aren't many Reds manager's throughout history that can say that.

He is perfect? Absolutely not. But I believe the players respect him, if for nothing else because he played (sparingly) at the major league level. I like the continuity as well.

Who would you get to replace him? Piniella? He would be a long shot to come back even with the new ownership group.

Besides, if the team begins to lose or not play well under him, he'll get the ax, anyway.

Like the Krivsky extension, also.

CTA513
06-28-2006, 03:03 PM
When does Aurilia get his extention?

:beerme:

TeamBoone
06-28-2006, 03:10 PM
Maybe this will put an end to that idiotic speculation that the reds were intentionally tanking so that narron wouldn't have to be re-signed.

Where did this come from? Tanking? When?

I never read this before.

TeamBoone
06-28-2006, 03:12 PM
Not to be a smart-elic. But Narron has managed for more 162 games (i.e. one season). He has an above .500 record during that time, there aren't many Reds manager's throughout history that can say that.

He is perfect? Absolutely not. But I believe the players respect him, if for nothing else because he played (sparingly) at the major league level. I like the continuity as well.

Who would you get to replace him? Piniella? He would be a long shot to come back even with the new ownership group.

Besides, if the team begins to lose or not play well under him, he'll get the ax, anyway.

Like the Krivsky extension, also.

I didn't say either of these moves was bad, just premature (in my opinion).

And haven't most of the Reds managers during the last decade or two played at the ML level?

REDREAD
06-28-2006, 03:17 PM
I like this move. Narron may not be the best manager ever, but he's the best we've had in a long time. A HUGE step up from Miley.

I have no problem extending Narron, as the next few years are going to be transitionary. Even if Cast decides to open up the wallet and go for it, it will take time to build the team up. If the Reds decide to opportunistically add young talent as they can without spending a lot of money (like Phillips), then it's also going to be a transition.

Let's not forget that the Reds probably still have a stigma on them from the Linder/Allen years. They still have a rep for being losers. We aren't going to get a big name manager in here any time soon, so Narron is fine. He's worked out a lot better than I thought he would. I can't think of any glaring mistakes he makes on a consistent basis, and he's done some things that many managers wouldn't. For example, I'm not sure some managers would've given Coffey the closers role this fast. Narron's lineups have been pretty good for the most part IMO. Nothing like the Miley disasters that had Dunn consistently batting 7th for awhile.

MartyFan
06-28-2006, 03:26 PM
Good job all around. Breeds confidence and keeps the continuity.

Bingo...nobody needs to wonder who is calling the shots...no need for cloak and dagger type stuff...Mr. C is putting his cards on the table.

I like it.

jimbo
06-28-2006, 03:31 PM
I don't have a problem with extending Narron's contract. I think results say it all and Narron has done a nice job in the year he's been in the position. You can't argue with the team being in second place only a few games out and leading the wild card race. Not too many of us was expecting much this season.

Besides, I've come to realize that contracts mean very little in this day and age.

IslandRed
06-28-2006, 03:59 PM
Besides, I've come to realize that contracts mean very little in this day and age.

Especially managers, who generally aren't making all that much, relatively speaking. If the higher-ups decide they need to make a change, they'll make the change, contract or no contract.

As for Narron himself, he's just OK in my opinion, but if he's not the solution he's also not the problem. There are only a few guys that I consider proven difference-makers in the dugout, and they're all employed right now.

Matt700wlw
06-28-2006, 04:02 PM
that should end the Lou Piniella rumors too

For now ;)

Wheelhouse
06-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Should read: "Reds reward Krivsky then Narron" as the Narron contract is Krivsky's decision.

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2006, 04:53 PM
Narron is a joke. Extending this boob's contract is horrible news for the Reds young players. He's already screwed up Dunn it appears. Lopez has struggled a bit and it has been reported that Narron wanted less power and more contact out of Lopez this year. The result is a down year. We already know he hates Encarnacion. Horrible decision to extend his contract.

RichRed
06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Narron is a joke. Extending this boob's contract is horrible news for the Reds young players. He's already screwed up Dunn it appears. Lopez has struggled a bit and it has been reported that Narron wanted less power and more contact out of Lopez this year. The result is a down year. We already know he hates Encarnacion. Horrible decision to extend his contract.

I agreed with this both times you posted it. ;)

Still, having a contract doesn't mean he can't get canned.

Matt700wlw
06-28-2006, 05:14 PM

Whom do you suggest?

(besides Lou ;))

Reds4Life
06-28-2006, 05:17 PM
Whom do you suggest?

(besides Lou ;))

Davey Johnson is back in baseball, I'd give him a call.

Of course, he's probably going to be the Nats manager next year though. :(

Cedric
06-28-2006, 05:19 PM

I think you fall in love with players and you wanna seek blame for anytime they fail. It seems in your world the only reason said player fails is because of Jerry Narron.

That's just not reality.

"It's been reported" doesn't add up to the widespread stuff you say. You just don't have enough info to blame everything on Narron for Lopez. Maybe 05 was Lopez career year? Hell, who knows?

CTA513
06-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Whom do you suggest?

(besides Lou ;))

Marc Cuban... so we can see him flip out all the time over bad calls.

:laugh:

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2006, 05:20 PM
Whom do you suggest?

(besides Lou ;))

Davey Johnson.

I've been saying that for two years.

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2006, 05:20 PM
I think you fall in love with players and you wanna seek blame for anytime they fail. It seems in your world the only reason said player fails is because of Jerry Narron.

That's just not reality.

"It's been reported" doesn't add up to the widespread stuff you say. You just don't have enough info to blame everything on Narron for Lopez. Maybe 05 was Lopez career year? Hell, who knows?

Not true at all.

Matt700wlw
06-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Not true at all.

Sure sounds like it sometimes.

Matt700wlw
06-28-2006, 05:21 PM
Davey Johnson.

I liked that idea too.....then the Nationals scooped him up and the Reds had a manager under contract.

Ltlabner
06-28-2006, 05:48 PM
Glad to hear The Kriv has been rewarded. What he's been able to do to unravel the Schott/Bowden/Linder/Allen/DanO mess in such a short time is nothing short of amazing.

Narron...sometimes I think there are people out there who would be mad if we won the world serries in game 7 because we didn't sweep it in 4 and score 1,046 runs in the process. Do I wish he'd go with a set line up? yep. Does he make some odd choices sometimes? yep. Has he managed a team to a .500 record in the 2nd half of a season, after the pervious manager was a disaster and while still under the reign of King-goofy DanO? YEP. Has he helped this team to be 1.5 games back and 1 game up in the WC race? YEP. Has he kept this team from imploding after some very bad streaks this year? YEP.

I don't think Narron's the end all be all, but to decry the end of the franchise as we know it over a contract extention is just plain silly.

Matt700wlw
06-28-2006, 05:50 PM
sometimes I think there are people out there who would be mad if we won the world serries in game 7 because we didn't sweep it in 4 and score 1,046 runs in the process.

Your expectations are low. I want 2,000 runs and winning the 4 game series in 3.

Come on, raise the bar!! :mooner:

jimbo
06-28-2006, 05:52 PM
Glad to hear The Kriv has been rewarded. What he's been able to do to unravel the Schott/Bowden/Linder/Allen/DanO mess in such a short time is nothing short of amazing.

Narron...sometimes I think there are people out there who would be mad if we won the world serries in game 7 because we didn't sweep it in 4 and score 1,046 runs in the process. Do I wish he'd go with a set line up? yep. Does he make some odd choices sometimes? yep. Has he managed a team to a .500 record in the 2nd half of a season, after the pervious manager was a disaster and while still under the reign of King-goofy DanO? YEP. Has he helped this team to be 1.5 games back and 1 game up in the WC race? YEP. Has he kept this team from imploding after some very bad streaks this year? YEP.

I don't think Narron's the end all be all, but to decry the end of the franchise as we know it over a contract extention is just plain silly.

Nice post.....well said. And I agree.

Highlifeman21
06-28-2006, 06:37 PM
Davey Johnson.

And he has a hot daughter, always a plus in my book.

I support the WK extension, but having Narron at the helm makes me wanna not be a Reds fan until he's not on the bench. I know, sounds like fair weather fan, but I'd much rather have Dave Miley than Jerry Narron any day of the week. Narron can't keep this smoke and mirrors magic act going for too much longer, and I say this fully knowing we started the day 2 games out of the division lead.

Phhhl
06-28-2006, 06:49 PM
I guess I'm ok with it. Narron does some annoying things. There is a difference of opinion, and then there is just cold hard facts like Rich Aurillia is not a cleanup hitter. I was truly hoping to get rid of Narron before the season started, but if the players are responding to him and the team keeps winning I don't care if Beavis is GM and Butthead makes out the lineups.

CincyReds2003
06-28-2006, 07:14 PM
I guess I'm ok with it. Narron does some annoying things. There is a difference of opinion, and then there is just cold hard facts like Rich Aurillia is not a cleanup hitter. I was truly hoping to get rid of Narron before the season started, but if the players are responding to him and the team keeps winning I don't care if Beavis is GM and Butthead makes out the lineups.

As long as Mr. Anderson is the batting coach, and Todd is the bench coach..:D :D

pedro
06-28-2006, 08:51 PM
My feeling is that I'd rather have a guy who does a good job managing the human beings on the team, which Narron seems to be doing, than a guy who is just a numbers wonk. IMO if the clubhouse isn't run right and the players are unhappy it really doesn't matter who is batting cleanup b/c the team is likely to implode.

Raisor
06-28-2006, 09:29 PM
Whom do you suggest?

(besides Lou ;))

Davey Johnson in a second.

Larry Dierker

tomred
06-29-2006, 12:40 AM
I think Narron has done a good job the reds were picked last by all of the experts but are in the race with a bullpen that is awful I wonder about his moves but I must have faith in him

RFS62
06-29-2006, 08:43 AM
My feeling is that I'd rather have a guy who does a good job managing the human beings on the team, which Narron seems to be doing, than a guy who is just a numbers wonk. IMO if the clubhouse isn't run right and the players are unhappy it really doesn't matter who is batting cleanup b/c the team is likely to implode.

*cough* chemistry *cough*

REDREAD
06-29-2006, 02:13 PM

How has he screwed up Dunn? I'm not disagreeing, I admit that I skip or skim most Dunn threads, but was wondering why you say that?

I don't think he hates Encarnacion either. EE got a lot of playing time when he was healthy, and he'll get more when he heals.

REDREAD
06-29-2006, 02:17 PM

Yes, that was the main problem with Miley. You had chair-gate and the stealing of Graves' jersey and other things.

You don't want a manager that creates an environment that makes the players angry. Sure, you can't do everything the players want, but Miley's Mickey Mouse reign of terror was one of the most absurd things I've ever seen. Just exactly how is a special chair in the clubhouse or Graves' jersey hurting your chance to win ballgames?