PDA

View Full Version : File This One Under What the Heck Were They Thinking?

reds44
06-28-2006, 02:13 PM
Seriously who thought this would be a good article to write?

http://news.cincinnati.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060627/LIFE05/606270316/-1/CINCI

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

All I could think of when I read this was when Jim Day asked BP who the worst dresser on the team was. He said something of the extent to Felipe, he likes to wear that tight stuff. That's not my style.

kaldaniels
06-28-2006, 02:14 PM
The kicker...next week Dave Ross!!!!!!!!!

Heath
06-28-2006, 02:17 PM
FeLo = Mike Greenberg from ESPN Radio.

Thank goodness Danny Graves isn't on this team. :eek:

When's Jason LaRue next on the hit parade???

redsfan30
06-28-2006, 02:20 PM
While style is far from my thing, it is a neat idea I guess to do this series.

Gives you more chances to get to know the players off the field.

reds44
06-28-2006, 02:22 PM
If Felipe didn't have a wife, Ozzie Guillen might have some problems with Felipe.

vaticanplum
06-28-2006, 02:43 PM
Uh, I think this is the greatest thing I've ever seen. Here is why:

1. I have long suspected that FeLo is the most stylish Red off the field. He does not have man-jock tattoos; he has pseudo-artistic tattoos that clearly translate as something and thus are "deep" as far as athlete tattoos go. While they probably mean something like "soul peace music baby", they indicate a certain degree of thought on his part, which is impressive. He has also chosen to have them tattood in places where they are partially visible on the field, which indicates that they are important to him, not just a drunken tattoo decision.

This all indicates to me that FeLo gives a bit of thought to his dressing and appearance, which is a good indicator that he may have, against all odds in the sports world, developed an individual style, even if it's not to everyone's taste, which is one of the few things people can do that will actively make their lives better almost immediately.

2. FeLo lists green as his favorite color. Green is the male go-to color. There's not a man on the planet whose appearance isn't improved by wearing green. Bright green is best, but other greens will do. I've never met a woman who doesn't agree with this -- beyond that, I've yet to meet a woman who didn't come to this conclusion on her own. It's a rule of life, like eating food to survive, and yet few men seem to know about it. FeLo does. A+.

3. In that first picture, FeLo is wearing THREE ARTICLES OF CLOTHING THAT FIT HIM. The odds of this happening on one man, let alone an athlete, are so miniscule that I was beginning to think it was perhaps a fantastical possibility. I don't even care what the clothes look like. They fit him. If there is one rule of dressing beyond Green Always Looks Good, it is Always Wear Clothes That Fit You. And FeLo's photo should be evidence to you skeptics that doing this will not necessarily make you look like a girly man if that is a fear of yours.

4. In that first picture, FeLo looks good. Dang good.

5. Men, hopefully, will see that FeLo looks good.

6. Men will start to wear clothing that fits them.

7. Men will look better, make out more, play better baseball, be happier, and start fewer wars.

Thus:

By virtue of this article in the Cincinnati Enquirer, Felipe Lopez can save the world.

Now, we're not without our problems here. The second photo of FeLo features him in a rather ill-fitting jacket, but the colors are nice and it's all clearly to his taste (the most important thing of all), so he gets a pass. This also worries me:

"Whether it's the beach casual look of a Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt, the movie-star cool of a Juicy T, or the all-American chic of a seersucker sports coat, their bring-it-home style is always a winner. Today, Life introduces the first of a periodic series that spotlights the fashion choices of some of your favorite Reds players."

I can only assume from the way this is worded that we will indeed see featured in this series a Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt (something that should be reserved for Jimmy Buffett concerts) and a Juicy T (something that should be reserved for 14-year-old girls with hot pink cell phones). I will reserve judgment until I see who is wearing them, because who knows, it may suit the wearer and his style. But I've got to say it doesn't bode well, and while I appreciate using the potentially best-dressed Red to ease readers into this series, I wonder if it perhaps wouldn't have been better to save him for the finale, lest the lessons we have learned from FeLo be forgotten by the time we get to Adam Dunn and his Longhorn swimming trunks.

Still, applause all around. Wednesday is now officially my favorite day of the week for many weeks to come.

Heath
06-28-2006, 02:50 PM
If there is one rule of dressing beyond Green Always Looks Good, it is Always Wear Clothes That Fit You. .

So, Narron, instead of looking for Players Who Do The Little Things or Players Who Play The Game The Right Way......we are now to Players Who Dress The Right Way.

I'm impressed.

vaticanplum
06-28-2006, 03:04 PM
So, Narron, instead of looking for Players Who Do The Little Things or Players Who Play The Game The Right Way......we are now to Players Who Dress The Right Way.

I'm impressed.

I'd rather see them win...but if they have to lose, they might as well look good doing it. Right? No need to put salt in the wound via ill-fitting trousers.

flyer85
06-28-2006, 03:05 PM
I'd rather see them win...but if they have to lose, they might as well look good doing it. Right? No need to put salt in the wound via ill-fitting trousers.a female perspective is always ... interesting. :D

westofyou
06-28-2006, 03:20 PM
Ruth Lyons would have loved this feature.

15fan
06-28-2006, 03:25 PM
$1,700 for a jacket?

$500 (and there's no mention of shoes) for a hanging around outfit?

Even if I could, there's no way I ever would.

gm
06-28-2006, 03:33 PM
The BRM teammates used to try to outdo each other and dress up. But when reviewing the old film clips of those wide lapels and sideburns...?

Oh, my

gonelong
06-28-2006, 03:39 PM
2. FeLo lists green as his favorite color. Green is the male go-to color. There's not a man on the planet whose appearance isn't improved by wearing green. Bright green is best, but other greens will do. I've never met a woman who doesn't agree with this -- beyond that, I've yet to meet a woman who didn't come to this conclusion on her own. It's a rule of life, like eating food to survive, and yet few men seem to know about it. FeLo does. A+.

In Celtic myths the Green man was the God of Fertiltiy.

I have a Green Polo that my wife always comments on when I wear it. Its the only solid Green shirt that I own. I have identical Polos in a light blue and a Navy blue and she never says a word when I wear them.

I'll have to poll the neighbor ladies to see if they agree.

GL

Moosie52
06-28-2006, 03:58 PM
Oh, Flippy, you're so fine. Can't wait for the Arroyo edition.

Johnny Footstool
06-28-2006, 04:34 PM

I'm impressed.

Billy Beane is rolling over in his grave.

At least he would be if he was dead...

vaticanplum
06-28-2006, 04:59 PM

I have a Green Polo that my wife always comments on when I wear it. Its the only solid Green shirt that I own. I have identical Polos in a light blue and a Navy blue and she never says a word when I wear them.

GL

Isn't your wife the one with the baseball shoes? yes, of all things ever written on this board, this is what I remember. I think I like her.

the green thing is truly amazing. I think all women know this without even realizing it. The Green Gene.

Rojo
06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
Green is the male go-to color. There's not a man on the planet whose appearance isn't improved by wearing green. Bright green is best, but other greens will do. I've never met a woman who doesn't agree with this -- beyond that, I've yet to meet a woman who didn't come to this conclusion on her own.

Its the color of money, duh.

In that first picture, FeLo is wearing THREE ARTICLES OF CLOTHING THAT FIT HIM. The odds of this happening on one man, let alone an athlete, are so miniscule that I was beginning to think it was perhaps a fantastical possibility.

The odds of finding clothes that fit are miniscule.

vaticanplum
06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Its the color of money, duh.

I promise you that's not it, and present my string of indigent boyfriends as evidence. My superficiality runs very deep but is at least limited to clothing and does not extend to financial wealth. Men just look better in green. It flatters almost any complexion.

And you can always find clothes that fit you!

Rojo
06-28-2006, 06:11 PM
And you can always find clothes that fit you!

Haven't yet.

gonelong
06-28-2006, 06:22 PM
Isn't your wife the one with the baseball shoes? yes, of all things ever written on this board, this is what I remember. I think I like her.

Yes, she has the baseball shoes ... paired with her baseball earings she is quite the "dish" and keeps me rounding third and heading for home. (I think I like her too. :) )

Her's are similar to these, but much cooler.

http://sneakers.pair.com/l/kedsb.jpg

the green thing is truly amazing. I think all women know this without even realizing it. The Green Gene.

... I'll be testing this theory.

GL

redsrule2500
06-28-2006, 07:07 PM

1. I have long suspected that FeLo is the most stylish Red off the field. He does not have man-jock tattoos; he has pseudo-artistic tattoos that clearly translate as something and thus are "deep" as far as athlete tattoos go. While they probably mean something like "soul peace music baby", they indicate a certain degree of thought on his part, which is impressive. He has also chosen to have them tattood in places where they are partially visible on the field, which indicates that they are important to him, not just a drunken tattoo decision.

This all indicates to me that FeLo gives a bit of thought to his dressing and appearance, which is a good indicator that he may have, against all odds in the sports world, developed an individual style, even if it's not to everyone's taste, which is one of the few things people can do that will actively make their lives better almost immediately.

3. In that first picture, FeLo is wearing THREE ARTICLES OF CLOTHING THAT FIT HIM. The odds of this happening on one man, let alone an athlete, are so miniscule that I was beginning to think it was perhaps a fantastical possibility. I don't even care what the clothes look like. They fit him. If there is one rule of dressing beyond Green Always Looks Good, it is Always Wear Clothes That Fit You. And FeLo's photo should be evidence to you skeptics that doing this will not necessarily make you look like a girly man if that is a fear of yours.

7. Men will look better, make out more, play better baseball, be happier, and start fewer wars.

Thus:

By virtue of this article in the Cincinnati Enquirer, Felipe Lopez can save the world.

Now, we're not without our problems here. The second photo of FeLo features him in a rather ill-fitting jacket, but the colors are nice and it's all clearly to his taste (the most important thing of all), so he gets a pass. This also worries me:

"Whether it's the beach casual look of a Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt, the movie-star cool of a Juicy T, or the all-American chic of a seersucker sports coat, their bring-it-home style is always a winner. Today, Life introduces the first of a periodic series that spotlights the fashion choices of some of your favorite Reds players."

I can only assume from the way this is worded that we will indeed see featured in this series a Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt (something that should be reserved for Jimmy Buffett concerts) and a Juicy T (something that should be reserved for 14-year-old girls with hot pink cell phones). I will reserve judgment until I see who is wearing them, because who knows, it may suit the wearer and his style. But I've got to say it doesn't bode well, and while I appreciate using the potentially best-dressed Red to ease readers into this series, I wonder if it perhaps wouldn't have been better to save him for the finale, lest the lessons we have learned from FeLo be forgotten by the time we get to Adam Dunn and his Longhorn swimming trunks.

Still, applause all around. Wednesday is now officially my favorite day of the week for many weeks to come.

I think that I know now what they were thinking writing this article - for the women ;)

vaticanplum
06-28-2006, 07:29 PM
I think that I know now what they were thinking writing this article - for the women ;)

and for the world.

WebScorpion
06-29-2006, 02:04 AM
...he may have...developed an individual style...which is one of the few things people can do that will actively make their lives better almost immediately.
I think you lost me there VP...I can only think of about a billion things that would improve my life MORE than a sense of style.

There's not a man on the planet whose appearance isn't improved by wearing green. ...It's a rule of life, like eating food to survive, and yet few men seem to know about it.
DANG! I always thought it was because of my green eyes...now I find out it works for EVERY man? :cry:

If there is one rule of dressing beyond Green Always Looks Good, it is Always Wear Clothes That Fit You.
Hmm...what if my 'fit' keeps, uh, er, ...changing? :confused:

Men, hopefully, will see that FeLo looks good.
Uh, er, <cough,cough> NO Comment :eek:

Well, kudos to you too, for representing the femalien perspective for those of us who are oblivious to such things. :thumbup:

BCubb2003
06-29-2006, 02:23 AM

GL

http://enquirer.com/editions/2002/03/18/reds_150x200.jpg

Super_Barry11
06-29-2006, 02:56 AM

YES!!! I totally agree!! I realized my affinity for guys in green during high school. I never understood it or realized that other females share my appreciation for this until now!! :thumbup:

But David Ross for next week?? I dunno. No offense to Ross, but I'm not exactly going to be staying up at night excitedly wondering what his style is about. :p: I'd like to see Brandon Phillips.... I bet his style is great (or at the very least, entertaining). :)

Outshined_One
06-29-2006, 04:13 AM
$1,700 for a jacket?

$500 (and there's no mention of shoes) for a hanging around outfit?

Even if I could, there's no way I ever would.

I used to have this opinion about clothing. I had a spartan collection of clothing that was basically limited to jeans and t-shirts; mostly stuff that I can lounge around in comfortably that didn't cost much money. College pretty much lends itself to that existence.

However, a little over a year ago my sister got married and my brother in law was generous enough to ask me to stand in the wedding. He picked out these classic-styled tuxes for us to wear that were quite similar in style to the ones that appeared in a number of James Bond movies. When I first put it on, I was taken aback. It fit perfectly. Everything about it was surprisingly comfortable and easy to move around in. This was the first time I had ever worn clothing that just made me feel like I was on top of the world. The confidence boost rather helped matters out with the women during and after the reception. :D

Ever since then, I've gained a huge amount of respect for really good clothing. You can easily get comfort from clothes bought at Target, but it's more than that. Really good clothing can accentuate the best parts of a guy. It's about looking good, knowing you look good, and getting a certain message across to other people (such as "Fear me!" if you are a lawyer). That's worth the price, in my opinion.

Heath
06-29-2006, 10:06 AM
The odds of finding clothes that fit are miniscule.

C'mon Rojo, you need to rephrase this line.

The odds of finding clothes that fit me are......remote :D

Doc. Scott
06-29-2006, 01:11 PM

Thus:

Chicks with vocabularies do to me what men wearing form-fitting green do to you, incidentally.

Johnny Footstool
06-29-2006, 01:52 PM
Chicks with vocabularies do to me what men wearing form-fitting green do to you, incidentally.

I hear they like it when you call them "chicks."

westofyou
06-29-2006, 01:53 PM
I hear they like it when you call them "chicks."
:laugh: Yep, I know a misnomer when I read one.

pedro
06-29-2006, 01:55 PM

how ironic :)

Rojo
06-29-2006, 02:18 PM

And then finally give those Indonesian kids a raise.

gonelong
12-26-2006, 04:22 PM

... months later ...

the neighbor ladies/girls all have determined that you must prefer dark complected men. Green is a go-to color for them, but not for the lily white, fair-haired boys.

I should have known, women can't agree on anything. :laugh:

GL

Doc. Scott
12-26-2006, 09:48 PM
Green has been my favorite color since a very, very young age.

WMR
12-26-2006, 11:42 PM

GL

No pun intended?

Yachtzee
12-26-2006, 11:54 PM
... months later ...

the neighbor ladies/girls all have determined that you must prefer dark complected men. Green is a go-to color for them, but not for the lily white, fair-haired boys.

GL

Maybe it's because you run the risk of looking like a leperchaun.

marcshoe
12-27-2006, 12:53 AM

GL

Okay. I'm getting way off the baseball stuff here, but I was listening to a celtic storyteller on Living On Earth on NPR Sunday, and she talked about Angus. From what she said, it occurs to me that Angus could be The Green Man. Is anyone familiar with this, or do I just need to google?

RedFanAlways1966
12-27-2006, 09:09 AM
Okay. I'm getting way off the baseball stuff here, but I was listening to a celtic storyteller on Living On Earth on NPR Sunday, and she talked about Angus. From what she said, it occurs to me that Angus could be The Green Man. Is anyone familiar with this, or do I just need to google?

Really...

gonelong
12-27-2006, 10:08 AM
No pun intended?

I only took a sampling?

:)

GL

vaticanplum
12-27-2006, 12:13 PM
... months later ...

GL

I don't know...I still maintain that green brings out the shining happy souls of all men. Green is a bright enough color that it's not going to really wash out a fair-complected person. I think you have to worry about that with yellow, beige, but bright green? Most of my point is that EVERYBODY looks good in bright green. I would need photographic evidence to convince me otherwise. Which I fully encourage.

I loved that you asked them this, by the way.

Heath
12-27-2006, 12:28 PM
I don't know...I still maintain that green brings out the shining happy souls of all men. Green is a bright enough color that it's not going to really wash out a fair-complected person. I think you have to worry about that with yellow, beige, but bright green? Most of my point is that EVERYBODY looks good in bright green. I would need photographic evidence to convince me otherwise. Which I fully encourage.

I loved that you asked them this, by the way.

Brett Favre's her favorite, really......

:D

GAC
12-27-2006, 12:32 PM
OK - why can't I get the provided link to open? Are the suits that flashy? Article too old?

I keep getting a....

Error: Invalid story key (AB,20060627,LIFE05,606270316,AR). Error: Invalid story key (AB,20060627,LIFE05,606270316,AR). Error: Invalid story key (AB,20060627,LIFE05,606270316,AR).

vaticanplum
12-27-2006, 12:35 PM
OK - why can't I get the provided link to open? Are the suits that flashy?

I keep getting a....

Error: Invalid story key (AB,20060627,LIFE05,606270316,AR). Error: Invalid story key (AB,20060627,LIFE05,606270316,AR). Error: Invalid story key (AB,20060627,LIFE05,606270316,AR).

It's an old story; they've probably taken it down. Also, FeLo no longer plays for our team. Also, he probably crashed the Enquirer's site with his green-based beauty.

GAC
12-27-2006, 12:39 PM
Also, FeLo no longer plays for our team.

WHAT??? When did this happen? Why don't you people keep me informed on these changes? Was he traded or what? Did we get anyone good for him? :evil:

westofyou
12-27-2006, 01:05 PM
It's an old story; they've probably taken it down. Also, FeLo no longer plays for our team. Also, he probably crashed the Enquirer's site with his green-based beauty.

http://images.redreporter.com/images/admin/felipefashion.jpg

http://72.14.253.104/search?q=cache:1eTPAyIUrt8J:news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article%3FAID%3D/20060627/LIFE05/606270316/-1/back01%26template%3Dprintpicart+%22felipe+lopez%22 +favorite+color+green+enquirer&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=4&client=firefox-a

Pro Style: Felipe Lopez
BY MARILYN BAUER | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

The Reds don't just look good in their uniforms. Off the field and after hours, their individual tastes shine through. Whether it's the beach casual look of a Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt, the movie-star cool of a Juicy T, or the all-American chic of a seersucker sports coat, their bring-it-home style is always a winner. Today, Life introduces the first of a periodic series that spotlights the fashion choices of some of your favorite Reds players.

Everyone has personal style, and that includes the Reds' players. Today we feature shortstop Felipe Lopez and share his favorite color, pastime and must-have piece of clothing.

"My style is my own," says Lopez. "I'm not into suits. I've got rock-star style. I can't wear a shirt without a tank top. I like skulls and all that."

Also, based on Lopez's likes, we shopped - mostly at Saks Fifth Avenue, downtown - for clothing and accessories that complement his favorite looks.

MEET FELIPE LOPEZ

Hometown: Bayamon, Puerto Rico

Family: Wife, Jen, and two daughters

Height: 6-foot-1

Weight: 185 pounds

Favorite color: Green

Spare time: I like to watch movies. I like Tom Cruise, and the movie "Braveheart."

Favorite brand: For jeans, 7 for All Mankind, Guess and Lucky.

Clothing you can't live without: Tank tops

You might be surprised to know: I can dress a girl. I can pick the clothes out for my wife. I love to go shopping with her.

Next week: Catcher David Ross

E-mail mbauer@enquirer.com

WMR
12-27-2006, 01:25 PM
"That boy Fee-Low thar's shurr got 'im a pretty mouth."

http://www.rivalfish.com/rivalroom/uploaded_images/deliverance-729935.jpg

Rojo
12-30-2006, 02:53 PM
Coming back to this thread, I think FeLo looks ridiculous. Guys shouldn't try that hard. Maybe its because of the town I live in but when you see a guy dressed like that (and women here agree), you think g-a-y (or L.A.).

Guys should wear nice, clean clothes that fit but they shouldn't look like they get lost in the mirror.

vaticanplum
12-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Coming back to this thread, I think FeLo looks ridiculous. Guys shouldn't try that hard. Maybe its because of the town I live in but when you see a guy dressed like that (and women here agree), you think g-a-y (or L.A.).

Guys should wear nice, clean clothes that fit but they shouldn't look like they get lost in the mirror.

The other picture of FeLo was better. Also, bear in mind that he was dressed up for a photo shoot.

Anyway, I dunno...my cousin was still bemoaning the loss of FeLo as of just last night. It's all a matter of taste I suppose. For me, it was just so refreshing to hear an athlete put any thought into clothes at all beyond which free warm-up jacket he should wear. In that world that is odd, probably because of ridiculous fear of the same thing you mention. They don't tend to be the best-dressed people.

Falls City Beer
12-30-2006, 05:05 PM

In general, though, there are tons of guys with a kind of off-handed sprezzatura, a concealed overattention to detail that expresses itself as slovenliness, that the kids have mastered these days. So I'd say among the gay population and the hipsters, you're dealing with legions of men in San Francisco paying an assload of attention to their grooming and sartorial choices, it's just that you may be missing a good many of them.

You, my friend, are the unmitigated freak. The one who really and truly doesn't care about clothing choices. Just like me. But I haven't cared since the 8th grade; I got plenty of action in high school because of my sense of humor and my willingness to beat the crap out of guys who picked on my dorky friends (I was 6'4" as a high school sophomore), so I didn't feel the urgent drive to doll myself up. And it's not done, at this point, as a contrarian repudiation of all things personally aesthetic, I just don't have the time or drive to make it any sort of priority. I wear clothes until they're threadbare or they take on too many stains. And then I just wear things that fit (I do despise bagginess in any sort of configuration--so that's an aesthetic choice, I guess--being as tall as a Yeti doesn't mean I have to look like one in baggy clothes).

westofyou
12-30-2006, 05:15 PM
You, my friend, are the unmitigated freak. The one who really and truly doesn't care about clothing choices.

Sounds like all of Portland.

vaticanplum
12-30-2006, 07:19 PM
You, my friend, are the unmitigated freak. The one who really and truly doesn't care about clothing choices. Just like me. But I haven't cared since the 8th grade; I got plenty of action in high school because of my sense of humor and my willingness to beat the crap out of guys who picked on my dorky friends (I was 6'4" as a high school sophomore), so I didn't feel the urgent drive to doll myself up.

FCB, you had a great post going until this bit right here. Oh man, you guys are all MISSING THE POINT.

I want you all to close your eyes, breathe deeply, and approach the idea of clothing not as a means of looking or a way to appeal to others, but from what comes way before that: the actual construction of clothing, and the purpose it serves to the individual, not the individual as seen by others. (Keep reading while your eyes are closed, I know it's difficult.)

All of you have something you love. Right? Not someone, but something. All of you love baseball, probably. If that's the only thing you love, you can start from there. But if there's anything else, particuarly anything with any artistic or creative value, I want you to zero in on that for a moment. Music. Words. Fine art. Theater. Normally, any worthwhile piece of any of these forms -- or even a worthwhile baseball team -- takes great resources of time and thought and talent to produce. You begin with a completely blank slate, and filling it is a fulfilling but often incredibly frustrating thing.

Now imagine that you are handed this slate every single morning. It's blank, but your options for filling it are much closer at hand than a unique chord progression or a handful of heartbreaking words. If you've put even the slightest bit of preparation into filling this particular slate -- an hour a month, say, no more than twelve hours a year if you're good at it, but ideally none of them during the Christmas shopping season -- then you have the tools to fill the slate at your ready. There's no frustration in filling it either; in fact, it's generally a joy, and unlike many art forms, is utterly dependent on your mood RIGHT NOW. Your depression of yesterday, your elation of tomorrow, matter not. Within moments you have filled your slate with beauty and with the personification of your personality, your mood, your very being as they are RIGHT NOW, and you are off to greet the day. Your mood and your soul may change tomorrow. That's ok. Your slate will be clean tomorrow. It will be clean at noon or at 5 pm or at 11 pm if you want it to be.

People: this slate exists. I know, you cannot believe it. You are weeping with this revelation. but it's true. It has existed since Adam and Eve. It's called clothing.

And you don't even have to start from scratch. The tools are out there. How you put them together, how you match them to you -- both physically (fit and color) and emotionally (today is a jeans day, today is a ball gown day) -- that's utterly up to you, and it is from there that the real creativity and indeed the real creation is born. But you get a cheat sheet, because you don't have to create the tools yourself. Nothing else in the world permits you to create such beauty (not aesthetic beauty, but INDIVIDUAL beauty -- details aside, our physical features (two eyes, two arms, one torso) are far more similar than our clothing) with such minimal effort.

To me, it is baffling how anyone can pass up such an opportunity in life. But I suspect that those of you who do pass on it -- with a disdainful shrug, even, as if these things do not matter -- have a misguided perception of the purpose of clothing. I believe you are mistaking the SIDE EFFECTS for the PURPOSE. The side effects are what Rojo and FCB have touched on. It is common knowledge that the better you look, the more you get laid, for example. It's sketchy territory, since what looks "good" varies from age to age and even from person to person. But generally, clothes that show off your shape (ie. clothes that fit you) show you off as a person, and certain clothes can give you more confidence, etc. And that's wonderful. You're wearing an outfit you love, you're bound to stand up straighter and feel better, all around approaching the world with just a touch more joy and openness than usual. That's wonderful. It will lead to less self-consciousness, which frees you up to see more, smell more, hear more, work more, make out more, and just all around feel better about the world. Awesome. But these are all still side effects. They stemmed from the PURPOSE, which was picking out clothes that matched you, that dressed your mood. You're not trying to "look good". You're trying to create a piece of art. It was created by you, it suits you, so invariably you're infused with a sense of pride and individualism, and you are +10 on your awesome bad self before you even get to work every day. I am not talking about trends, about things that are known to make this girl look hot or make this guy look gay. I abhor trends, actually. I am talking about YOU, all of you, and the opportunity you have to create a masterpiece from something you do every day. Form from function. Joy from the mundane.

This, I think, is what FeLo understands. He takes joy in dressing. Have I ever had a boyfriend that dressed remotely like FeLo? Not in the least. It's not to my taste. But if I ran into FeLo in the bar and we talked about clothing, I would say, FeLo, this part of your soul, closed to so many, is open to the world, and I know that you make beauty out of nothing, that you view every day as a new world, that you want everyone to see how you're feeling today the minute they glimpse you (which is not to say that you're a megalomaniac), and that you are a man who appreciates the senses you were given. I imagine you are a man who appreciates the smallest gestures made by people you love, who delights in good music, who possesses a deep respect for history, who relishes in a gut-wrenching baseball game and who suffers when the working man is victim of injustice. FeLo, I would like to buy you a beverage.

Red in Chicago
12-30-2006, 08:14 PM

not that there's anything wrong with that;)

westofyou
12-30-2006, 09:01 PM
have a misguided perception of the purpose of clothing.

I probably think more about baseball in one hour then I do clothes in one year.

Best I can figure is the purpose of clothing is to provide my mother with something to obsess and stress over about aside from the real things in life.

Frankly at plus 40 I find no other reason for it to exist other then to keep the world from seeing my butt. I wear jeans everyday that it's below 70 and shorts when it's above, the rest is always a tee shirt and fleece in the winter. I own one tie and haven't worn a suit in 10 years. The rest of the Devil Wears Prada stuff is a waste of my brain cells in my opinion and won't ever be something I spend anytime beyond 10 minutes pondering.

Falls City Beer
12-30-2006, 10:09 PM
FCB, you had a great post going until this bit right here. Oh man, you guys are all MISSING THE POINT.

I want you all to close your eyes, breathe deeply, and approach the idea of clothing not as a means of looking or a way to appeal to others, but from what comes way before that: the actual construction of clothing, and the purpose it serves to the individual, not the individual as seen by others. (Keep reading while your eyes are closed, I know it's difficult.)

All of you have something you love. Right? Not someone, but something. All of you love baseball, probably. If that's the only thing you love, you can start from there. But if there's anything else, particuarly anything with any artistic or creative value, I want you to zero in on that for a moment. Music. Words. Fine art. Theater. Normally, any worthwhile piece of any of these forms -- or even a worthwhile baseball team -- takes great resources of time and thought and talent to produce. You begin with a completely blank slate, and filling it is a fulfilling but often incredibly frustrating thing.

Now imagine that you are handed this slate every single morning. It's blank, but your options for filling it are much closer at hand than a unique chord progression or a handful of heartbreaking words. If you've put even the slightest bit of preparation into filling this particular slate -- an hour a month, say, no more than twelve hours a year if you're good at it, but ideally none of them during the Christmas shopping season -- then you have the tools to fill the slate at your ready. There's no frustration in filling it either; in fact, it's generally a joy, and unlike many art forms, is utterly dependent on your mood RIGHT NOW. Your depression of yesterday, your elation of tomorrow, matter not. Within moments you have filled your slate with beauty and with the personification of your personality, your mood, your very being as they are RIGHT NOW, and you are off to greet the day. Your mood and your soul may change tomorrow. That's ok. Your slate will be clean tomorrow. It will be clean at noon or at 5 pm or at 11 pm if you want it to be.

People: this slate exists. I know, you cannot believe it. You are weeping with this revelation. but it's true. It has existed since Adam and Eve. It's called clothing.

And you don't even have to start from scratch. The tools are out there. How you put them together, how you match them to you -- both physically (fit and color) and emotionally (today is a jeans day, today is a ball gown day) -- that's utterly up to you, and it is from there that the real creativity and indeed the real creation is born. But you get a cheat sheet, because you don't have to create the tools yourself. Nothing else in the world permits you to create such beauty (not aesthetic beauty, but INDIVIDUAL beauty -- details aside, our physical features (two eyes, two arms, one torso) are far more similar than our clothing) with such minimal effort.

To me, it is baffling how anyone can pass up such an opportunity in life. But I suspect that those of you who do pass on it -- with a disdainful shrug, even, as if these things do not matter -- have a misguided perception of the purpose of clothing. I believe you are mistaking the SIDE EFFECTS for the PURPOSE. The side effects are what Rojo and FCB have touched on. It is common knowledge that the better you look, the more you get laid, for example. It's sketchy territory, since what looks "good" varies from age to age and even from person to person. But generally, clothes that show off your shape (ie. clothes that fit you) show you off as a person, and certain clothes can give you more confidence, etc. And that's wonderful. You're wearing an outfit you love, you're bound to stand up straighter and feel better, all around approaching the world with just a touch more joy and openness than usual. That's wonderful. It will lead to less self-consciousness, which frees you up to see more, smell more, hear more, work more, make out more, and just all around feel better about the world. Awesome. But these are all still side effects. They stemmed from the PURPOSE, which was picking out clothes that matched you, that dressed your mood. You're not trying to "look good". You're trying to create a piece of art. It was created by you, it suits you, so invariably you're infused with a sense of pride and individualism, and you are +10 on your awesome bad self before you even get to work every day. I am not talking about trends, about things that are known to make this girl look hot or make this guy look gay. I abhor trends, actually. I am talking about YOU, all of you, and the opportunity you have to create a masterpiece from something you do every day. Form from function. Joy from the mundane.

This, I think, is what FeLo understands. He takes joy in dressing. Have I ever had a boyfriend that dressed remotely like FeLo? Not in the least. It's not to my taste. But if I ran into FeLo in the bar and we talked about clothing, I would say, FeLo, this part of your soul, closed to so many, is open to the world, and I know that you make beauty out of nothing, that you view every day as a new world, that you want everyone to see how you're feeling today the minute they glimpse you (which is not to say that you're a megalomaniac), and that you are a man who appreciates the senses you were given. I imagine you are a man who appreciates the smallest gestures made by people you love, who delights in good music, who possesses a deep respect for history, who relishes in a gut-wrenching baseball game and who suffers when the working man is victim of injustice. FeLo, I would like to buy you a beverage.

I think this is a brilliant "defense of fashion." I mean that. I think oftentimes I don't pay enough attention to the ephemeral and alterable; always in the fusty male world of the universal and permanent. I don't think that my sense of fashion will ever gravitate towards clothing necessarily, but I do appreciate the explication.

Yachtzee
12-30-2006, 10:29 PM
Remember Dahling, to look good is to feel good.

And you look mahvelous. :pimp:

gonelong
12-31-2006, 01:56 AM

Please cancel my subscription to your newsletter.

GL

;)

GAC
12-31-2006, 05:18 AM

Only a woman could put up such an impassioned United Nation Security Council defense for clothing. :mooner:

My new house was designed specifically to accomodate the differences between a man and a woman. I have a 15 year old daughter, and two boys (ages 17 and 11).

I have three bathrooms because the women can't leave the house without first spending an hour and a half in the bathroom getting ready, laying out their clothes, etc.

The "odd" bathroom has a man's primary need - a toilet (when we don't have access to the other two).

The women instinctively, when they get up, head for the bathrooms. Men do too, but for different reasons. Our 1 1/2 in there is quality time. ;)

I have to push my two boys just to get them to change their underwear daily. They only shower when my wife questions "What died?"

My boys have no concept of design or color coding when it comes to wearing clothes. It's whatever is nearest. My oldest boy would go out with striped pants and a checkered shirt - he don't care. So we always buy the boys solid colored clothing so there is less choices and room for "fashion" error.

My oldest boy has actually gone to school with his shirts inside out. I figured he was either making a fashion statement, didn't realize it, or just didn't care. The last choice is a strong possibility.

The kids have to catch the school bus at 7:30, so my daughter gets up at 5:45. The boys get up at 7 because after all, how long does it take to eat a bowl of Cheerios, brush the teeth, and get dressed?

My wife and daughter put EVERYTHING on hangers! It's why they have walk-in closets in their rooms that are the size of most people's bedrooms. Because folding/storing clothes in a dresser drawer causes wrinkles. They patiently stand next to the dryer like a relative waiting for their loved one to get released from prison -watching, looking - because you can't over dry and must immediately get those articles of clothing onto the hangers.

So why did we buy dressers? I got tons of empty drawers in this house.

And the reason why I like/wear blue jeans and a polo short is not only because it is comfortable and simple..... but because after paying for my wife and daughter's clothing allowance IT'S ALL I CAN AFFORD!

Can I get a witness men!!!!!

Clean shirt, new shoes
And I dont know where I am goin to.
Silk suit, black tie,
I dont need a reason why.
They come runnin just as fast as they can
Coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man.

Gold watch, diamond ring,
I aint missin a single thing.
And cufflinks, stick pin,
When I step out Im gonna do you in.
Coz every girl crazy bout a sharp dressed man.

Top coat, top hat,
I dont worry coz my wallets fat.
Black shades, white gloves,
Lookin sharp and lookin for love.
Coz every girl grazy bout a sharp dressed man.

http://1077sfr.com/images/musicpics/zztop2.jpg

Rojo
01-01-2007, 08:11 PM
VP,

That's a great defense of fashion but criticizing someone for their lack of enthusiasm for clothing is like Van Gogh criticizing someone for not getting hopped up about a blank canvass. On the visual/verbal/kinesthetic test, I'm heavily verbal. I couldn't tell you what you were wearing five seconds after we parted.

Unlike FCB and WOY, I'm single. So, one of my resolutions IS to dress better this year. But for me that means paying a little more for nicer clothes that fit better. (And I'm with FCB on this, I hate baggy but I'm 6'4" as well and the XL's are too small while XXL are apparently tailored for Paul Prudhomme.)

PS: Believe it or not, I just threw out a polo shirt that I wore every week since 1994.

Rojo
01-01-2007, 08:15 PM

I want you all to close your eyes, breathe deeply, and approach the idea of clothing not as a means of looking or a way to appeal to others

To be fair, you twice brought up "making out more".

vaticanplum
01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
To be fair, you twice brought up "making out more".

It's a side effect. A splendiferous one, but a side effect nonetheless. I love the taste of coffee, but the taste is not why I drink it.

Also, Rojo -- you do know that what I'm saying is partly tongue-in-cheek, don't you? I mean, I fully believe all of it, but I know that if everybody put the thought and love into clothes that I do, the world would stop running. I'm not criticizing you at all, just trying to share another perspective on an issue that other may not have considered.