PDA

View Full Version : Give me some hope....what's on the Horizon?

Eric_Davis
06-28-2006, 03:40 PM
The Sox series (and last night) shows that this team is 4 or 5 pitchers away from winning the World Series.

Is Belisle one of them, and is there anything else in the rumor mills that would indicate that there is some help on the way?

Matt700wlw
06-28-2006, 04:05 PM
The Sox series (and last night) shows that this team is 4 or 5 pitchers away from winning the World Series.

Is Belisle one of them, and is there anything else in the rumor mills that would indicate that there is some help on the way?

I don't see the NL winning the series this year. The AL is absolutely dominant right now.

CTA513
06-28-2006, 04:08 PM

If Belisle is still the long man, then hes not going to pitch much.
Before he went on the DL he was lucky to pitch once a week.

Falls City Beer
06-28-2006, 04:12 PM
Belisle in Milton's slot.

Grab a real starter and be done with it.

Chip R
06-29-2006, 12:59 AM
If Belisle is still the long man, then hes not going to pitch much.
Before he went on the DL he was lucky to pitch once a week.

Belisle was not a veteran like White and Hammond and Weathers and Mercker. Belisle was also held in reserve in case Dave Williams imploded early in a game. Williams is gone now as is White and Weathers is no longer the closer nor can he or anyone else in the bullpen be trusted in a tie game or when the Reds have anything less than a 7 run lead. Belsiles injury was a blessing in disguise for him. As long as he did not pitch, he was automatically better than anyone else in that inferno of a bullpen. Narron may love his scrappy vets but I think he loves winning more and he has proven that several times. Coffey is a perfect example of that. He was throwing up goose eggs while Weathers was having problems. Narron put the kid in as closer over the vet. Belisle pitched the 9th inning tonight and had a scoreless inning. It may have been against the Royals but no one in the bullpen last night could come out unscathed against the same team. He may not be the setup man right now but I will wager he is no longer the long man either. As long as he puts up scoreless innings, his stock with Narron is going to keep rising. He may even be the closer if Coffey does not right himself.

reds44
06-29-2006, 01:04 AM

No way I take Belisle out of the bullpen. He is either our best or 2nd best reliever.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 02:09 AM
I don't see the NL winning the series this year. The AL is absolutely dominant right now.
Big reason why I don't wanna go to the series:help: :evil:

WebScorpion
06-29-2006, 02:30 AM
Ok, here's your hope. From the Cincinnati Enquirer:

On Wednesday, Castellini reiterated his commitment to add payroll to improve the team for a pennant run.

“We made a commitment early on,” Castellini said, “if we were a contender. It sure looks like we’re contenders.”

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060628/SPT04/306280025/1071

:thumbup:

Ask and ye shall receive!

Cedric
06-29-2006, 03:05 AM
Speaking of deadline trades. 99 was the case in point of how a deadline deal should work for both teams. The Orioles got a great, young southpaw reliever and the Reds got their much needed depth in Guzman.

Just thinking aloud of how that one worked out well for both teams, rare.

Deepred05
06-29-2006, 11:46 AM
Speaking of deadline trades. 99 was the case in point of how a deadline deal should work for both teams. The Orioles got a great, young southpaw reliever and the Reds got their much needed depth in Guzman.

Wouldn't mind having that southpaw reliever back right about now......:)

Sea Ray
06-29-2006, 12:46 PM

That won't solve anything. This rotation is good enough to take this sorry division. It's the bullpen that needs shoring up. If Standridge, Belisle and/or anyone else can improve this bullpen from worst in the league to the middle, this team can make the post season. Sure, it'd be nice to add a starter but the primary concern of Krivsky has got to be this bullpen

Marc D
06-29-2006, 12:50 PM

This one is also the case in point for people like me who say never again. We gave away a great prospect to make a run at absolutely nothing. We didn't even make the playoffs.

While I have 100% more faith in this FO than that one, my worst fear for 2006 is to see someone like Cueto(just an example) be moved for a rent a player who helps us limp into a first round playoff exit. Then 2007 starts and we are right back to the SOS but with a little bit weaker farm system.

The only way the Reds can get long term healthy is by having a superior farm system and not being crippled at the ML level by killer contracts. Be sellers at the end and take big strides toward fixing both problems this year. Don't fall for the fools gold of a year when 85 wins might get you a WC.

I want a team thats a legit contender for the WS year in and year out, not one that gets a collection of career years form several players twice a decade and hopes its enough to make a playoff appearance.

CrackerJack
06-29-2006, 12:51 PM
Dunno, I can't imagine this team can live on 3 starting pitchers either. Claussen and Milton both look to be going downhill fast - hopefully with Claussen it's just an injury issue that needs to heal.

Can only hope they can hang around for another month + and rely on the minors for some help and a trade or two for BP help.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 08:41 PM
I don't think the rotation is good enough at this point, it's Arroyo and Harang who can be trusted, Milton is a time bomb, Mays is Mays..and EZ has been great so far but I wouldn't say he's a lock to stay that way.

Another starter would certainly help, along with an 5 new bullpen guys.