PDA

View Full Version : Bronson Arroyo starting the AS game?

Benihana
06-28-2006, 03:30 PM
Does he start the Allstar game now? His ERA is a good .2 lower than any other qualifying pitchers in all of baseball, and he is second in the NL in wins. I don't see how he's not the guy. Thoughts?

Matt700wlw
06-28-2006, 03:31 PM
He's probably earned it, but I'd rather keep his arm ready for important games...

Heath
06-28-2006, 03:32 PM
Nope, he pitches Sunday in Atlanta, the last game before the AS Break.

He won't start - he'll make an apperance.

RedsManRick
06-28-2006, 03:38 PM
At this point he'd be in line to get it if his schedule was such. I don't know how the schedules work, but I'm guessing it'll be Brandon Webb or Tom Glavine. The NL has about 10 starters who are about equal in terms of effectiveness right now: Oswalt, Penny, Pedro, Young, Zambrano, Schmidt will all probably make the squad. My money is on Glavine or Pedro b/c of their veteran status.

Matt700wlw
06-28-2006, 03:40 PM
My money is on Glavine or Pedro b/c of their veteran status.

How scrappy :D

Rojo
06-28-2006, 03:51 PM
I'd rather he didn't (see Armstrong, Jack).

Red Leader
06-28-2006, 03:56 PM
My guess is Glavine. He has pitched extremely well this year and has earned the start, IMO. With Arroyo pitching Sunday, that kind of takes him out of the mix. My other two choices would be Pedro and Penny. Not sure what their schedules are like. I know Pedro throws tonight, so that would mean MON or TUE should be his next scheduled start which falls in line with the AS Game.

Highlifeman21
06-28-2006, 09:36 PM
He's probably earned it, but I'd rather keep his arm ready for important games...

I don't want to see any Red throw 1 pitch in the ASG. They can attend all they want, but just represent us in spirit, not in performance.

Reds1
06-28-2006, 11:27 PM
Be nice to see him pitch an inning. He deserves it.

Patrick Bateman
06-29-2006, 12:11 AM
I think at this point both Arroyo and now Harang deserve to be all-stars. 3.45 ERA with 9 wins, lots of innings and K's. This is what they will look at when selecting pitchers.

The only guys who have better numbers than that combined are:
Webb, Arroyo, Capuano, Glavine, and Penny.

Guys like Carpenter and Schmidt are behind in wins.

NOTE: I don't actually think wins (and not neccessarily ERA) is a good metric in evaluating pitchers but everyone in baseball seems to.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 01:09 AM
I doubt he starts, but I think he gets the win in an NL upset ;)

Unassisted
06-29-2006, 08:38 AM
A start in the ASG might be just the thing to keep BA from providing soundbites about his fond memories of Boston. It's not something he would have had the opportunity to do if he had stayed there and it would help him focus on how much better off he is now than he was back then.

redsfan30
06-29-2006, 10:01 AM
A start in the ASG might be just the thing to keep BA from providing soundbites about his fond memories of Boston. It's not something he would have had the opportunity to do if he had stayed there and it would help him focus on how much better off he is now than he was back then.
I think the "I never wanted to leave Boston" crap would be worse if he started the All Star game. The national media would be on him like stink on garbage if he started the game.

TRF
06-29-2006, 12:06 PM
I see names like Penny and Pedro.

But no mention of Harang.

Aaron Harang who is tied for the NL lead in complete games (3), Tied for the most shut outs (2) Is third in the NL in K's, and has the same ERA as Pedro Martinez (3.45). Oh and BTW he's tied for second in W's too (9).

But Harang gets nary a mention. No love for the big righty. He's going to get two more starts before the ASB, I'm betting both are wins. (Milwaukee and Atlanta)

vaticanplum
06-29-2006, 12:47 PM
I see names like Penny and Pedro.

But no mention of Harang.

Aaron Harang who is tied for the NL lead in complete games (3), Tied for the most shut outs (2) Is third in the NL in K's, and has the same ERA as Pedro Martinez (3.45). Oh and BTW he's tied for second in W's too (9).

But Harang gets nary a mention. No love for the big righty. He's going to get two more starts before the ASB, I'm betting both are wins. (Milwaukee and Atlanta)

This is a very good point actually.

Out of curiosity, who's tied with him for complete games and shut-outs? I'm too lazy to look this up.

TRF
06-29-2006, 12:49 PM
CG: Schmidt and Willis
SHO: Jennings and Webb.

TRF
06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Harang:

4th in K/BB
4th in K/9

vaticanplum
06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
CG: Schmidt and Willis
SHO: Jennings and Webb.

Thanks. I totally forgot Jason Jennings existed. It must suck to be a Rockies fan.