PDA

View Full Version : Brett Myers whattya think?

Redus
06-28-2006, 04:33 PM
Ok this guy got arrested in front of Fenway when he hit his wife in the face. Philadelphia fans (the ones who once booed Santa) are not likely to be to forgiving when he has a rough outing. His wife bailed him out and hes on leave from the team till after the All Star game....my question is if the Phils called you got to consider him..hes pitching well and is young. Change of scenery and work on his problem he'd be a good pickup. Id send them kearns in a minute. Thoughts?

Red Leader
06-28-2006, 04:40 PM
If the price is Kearns, I'd do it. If it's more than that, I'd pass. We can't give up Bailey, Wood, or Bruce + a major league player for him. I have a feeling his price tag would be pretty high with all of the contenders that could use a good SP that can throw 200 IP.

Benihana
06-28-2006, 04:42 PM
kearns for brett myers, I would say done before he could even say -ers. That would be right up there with the Arroyo deal, IMO. Hopefully he can get his off the field issues straightened out, though, because he has ALWAYS been a head case.

Red Leader
06-28-2006, 04:46 PM
That would be right up there with the Arroyo deal, IMO. Hopefully he can get his off the field issues straightened out, though, because he has ALWAYS been a head case.

That is true, he has always been a head case, and his ego is matched by very few, which I really don't mind, especially with a SP. I think with Kearns' price tag going up here shortly and the Reds need for a good, 200 IP starter who can strike some people out, the upside to that deal is just too good to pass up. I bet the Phils would have interest in that deal, especially if they are able to move Bobby Abreu.

Spitball
06-28-2006, 05:00 PM
I would stay away from anyone who would hit a woman and drag her by the hair, especially a 6'4' man weighing 240 pounds. I would have taken Scott Sauerbeck even though he was intoxicated and with a woman besides his wife, but I wouldn't want this guy on my team.

RedsFan75
06-28-2006, 05:05 PM
Talk in Philly is a DL stint for rest of the season so he can get counseling according to a guy I know up there.

Just was IM'ing him about it as I read this one.

Red Leader
06-28-2006, 05:09 PM
Talk in Philly is a DL stint for rest of the season so he can get counseling according to a guy I know up there.

For the rest of the season? Damn. I keep managing and managing my fantasy team, making it better and better, and I've had the worst luck with my SP's this year. Harden, Patterson, and now Myers. My 3 top SP's. When will my luck turn around?

RichRed
06-28-2006, 05:30 PM
For the rest of the season? Damn. I keep managing and managing my fantasy team, making it better and better, and I've had the worst luck with my SP's this year. Harden, Patterson, and now Myers. My 3 top SP's. When will my luck turn around?

Cheer up, you could be a Phillies fan. :)

TeamSelig
06-28-2006, 06:56 PM
Brett Myers
Chase Utley

for

Felipe Lopez
Austin Kearns
prospect

Hmm... I really doubt they would do that though.

Spitball
06-28-2006, 07:11 PM
Mike Shannon, during a rain delay, once told a story about a Cardinal pitcher who found out his brother-in-law had hit his sister. The Cardinal got on a plane, flew home, found his b-i-l, punched him in the nose, and then flew back to rejoin the team.

Brett Myers, What do ya think? I think MLB should let the girl's father decide Myers' punishment.

Redus
06-28-2006, 10:07 PM
DL'd for the year .to get counseling? I cant see that. I'll be the first to say dont put your hands on a woman but I cant see him missing the rest of the year to be in counseling

Highlifeman21
06-28-2006, 10:20 PM

Dunno what ya heard, but so far he's just out until after the ASB. There is talk of treating him like Jason Michaels, aka trade him once he gets in trouble with the law.

Myers was all over the local rags and news today being apologetic and saying he embarrassed the Phillies as well as his family and felt that he could get things back on track by after the All Star Break.

Falls City Beer
06-28-2006, 10:52 PM
I can forgive a lot of pecadilloes; hitting a wife isn't one of them. I don't want him near the Reds.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 02:29 AM
No thanks, I have to think that hanging over his head will hurt his performance.

Jpup
06-29-2006, 08:21 AM
everyone makes mistakes, i don't agree with what he did, but I would love to see him in a Reds uniform. He's a very good pitcher when he's on. He's better than anything on the staff not named Arroyo and Harang.

I'm not sure the Reds have the pieces that Philly would want for him. They need starting pitching so I can't really see them trading him.

Red Leader
06-29-2006, 09:51 AM
Myers was optioned to Single-A Clearwater yesterday so that they could replace him on the 25 man roster. He is not expected to pitch for Clearwater, they made the move just to open a roster spot. He is still expected to re-join the rotation his first turn after the All-Star Game.

zombie-a-go-go
06-29-2006, 10:01 AM
He hit a woman. Forget it. I'd rather lose than give money to a guy that would punch a lady in the face.

Hoosier Red
06-29-2006, 10:19 AM
Mike Shannon, during a rain delay, once told a story about a Cardinal pitcher who found out his brother-in-law had hit his sister. The Cardinal got on a plane, flew home, found his b-i-l, punched him in the nose, and then flew back to rejoin the team.

Brett Myers, What do ya think? I think MLB should let the girl's father decide Myers' punishment.

Danny Cox. IIRC.
And it was apparently in the World Series.

RedsFan75
06-29-2006, 10:29 AM
Dunno what ya heard, but so far he's just out until after the ASB. There is talk of treating him like Jason Michaels, aka trade him once he gets in trouble with the law.

Myers was all over the local rags and news today being apologetic and saying he embarrassed the Phillies as well as his family and felt that he could get things back on track by after the All Star Break.

Well, it may have just been my friend up there echoing some web talk or stuff he's heard around the sports bars, like I said, we were on IM at that time.

What area of Philly you in Highlife? I get up there on occasion for buisness.

MWM
06-29-2006, 11:24 AM
FCB and zombie beat me to it. If he hit a woman, I never want him wearing a Reds uniform. Makes me sick.

princeton
06-29-2006, 11:52 AM
trade for him, beat him up, then trade him again

Spitball
06-29-2006, 12:35 PM
everyone makes mistakes...

I believe what Myers did qualifies as more than a mistake. He is a 240 pound athlete who was arrested for hitting a woman and dragging her by the hair. This "man" has a real problem.

And, he is probably facing serious consequences as a result of his highly publicized arrest. He will go to court in Boston's highly politically charged arena where the DA and judge will be under national scrutiny to send a strong message about the seriousness of spousal abuse.

Could he be out for the rest of the season while he goes through treatment? I think it is very likely if he wants to go to court with any ammunition to avoid a very severe penalty.

flyer85
06-29-2006, 12:39 PM
I believe what Myers did qualifies as more than a mistake. He is a 240 pound athlete who was arrested for hitting a woman and dragging her by the hair. This "man" has a real problem.Not just a "woman". She is his wife and the mother of their two children. What happened to honor and cherish?

Supposedly she made a comment while it was occurring that she wasn't going to take it anymore and his initial comments after the assault were that he wished it hadn't happened in public.

He may win a lot of baseball games but as a husband and father he is a loser.

Spitball
06-29-2006, 12:48 PM
Not just a "woman". She is his wife and the mother of their two children. What happened to honor and cherish?

Supposedly she made a comment while it was occurring that she wasn't going to take it anymore and his initial comments after the assault were that he wished it hadn't happened in public.

Well said.

ochre
06-29-2006, 12:50 PM
Myers was optioned to Single-A Clearwater yesterday so that they could replace him on the 25 man roster. He is not expected to pitch for Clearwater, they made the move just to open a roster spot. He is still expected to re-join the rotation his first turn after the All-Star Game.
Did they have to re-do his contract for that?

Red Leader
06-29-2006, 12:52 PM
Did they have to re-do his contract for that?

:laugh: , Yeah, I believe he has a clause in his contract that allows that, unlike Wily Mo.

Obviously, he had an option remaining.

MartyFan
06-29-2006, 04:47 PM
Not just a "woman". She is his wife and the mother of their two children. What happened to honor and cherish?

Check that...as a human being, husband and father he is a loser.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 08:48 PM
trade for him, beat him up, then trade him again
Best plan yet.

Chip R
10-05-2006, 03:02 PM
Looks like Mrs. Myers wants the charges dropped. Surprise, surprise, surprise. :(

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2614037

Highlifeman21
10-05-2006, 06:37 PM
Let's go trade for him anyway. He'd fit in nicely beside Harang and Arroyo. If our top 3 looks like Harang, Arroyo and Myers, I like us in the NL Central for 2007.

TeamSelig
10-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Agreed.

Can you imagine a rotation of:
Harang, Arroyo, Myers, Bailey, Milton

Then we could use Lohse, & etc. for the bullpen

johngalt
10-06-2006, 01:09 AM
The day the Reds continue employing or trade for a player who has hit his wife is the day I lose a great deal of respect for anyone in charge.

jimbo
10-06-2006, 02:50 AM
The day the Reds continue employing or trade for a player who has hit his wife is the day I lose a great deal of respect for anyone in charge.

I agree with this side of the argument when it comes to Meyers. I just couldn't, in good faith, root on a pitcher who I know likes to beat on his wife?

KronoRed
10-06-2006, 02:55 AM
Only when he's drunk...that makes it ok apparently.

harangatang
10-06-2006, 03:32 AM
The day the Reds continue employing or trade for a player who has hit his wife is the day I lose a great deal of respect for anyone in charge.I think that a man who hits any woman is wrong but I think Brett Myers could be of great use to the team's starting rotation. The Reds need anything they can to get over the hump and into the playoffs. A couple of Cincinnati examples are the UC Bearcats and the Bengals. Bob Huggins built his program by taking in college players who had talent but also had troubled pasts. While the players sometimes caused major trouble the Bearcats were turned into a perennial March Madness team from being terrible. The same thing can said for the Bengals and what Marvin Lewis has done with players. Yes there are problems when you have talented and trouble-making players such as Chris Henry, but the Bengals aren't the Bungles because of moves like this as a collective whole. I hope the Reds would take the opportunity to get a pitcher of this caliber no matter his past. I would gain a great deal of respect for the Reds if they made a move like this to improve the Reds.

Highlifeman21
10-06-2006, 11:31 AM

Yet some people idolize a certain former Cincinnati Red who wore #14, has a certain hit record, and also commit the worst crime in baseball.

Not singling you out, johngalt, but my question is would you rather have a wife beater, or would you rather have someone who bet on baseball?

jimbo
10-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Yet some people idolize a certain former Cincinnati Red who wore #14, has a certain hit record, and also commit the worst crime in baseball.

I cannot equate betting on baseball to a 6'4", 240 lb. man beating on his wife who is a third of his size. I'm not sure how you can compare the two, one is a major real life issue while the other is about a game.

johngalt
10-06-2006, 01:40 PM

Not singling you out, johngalt, but my question is would you rather have a wife beater, or would you rather have someone who bet on baseball?

I don't think it's fair to compare someone with a gambling addiction - which is a sickness - to someone with anger issues who drags his wife and the mother of his children by the hair and assaults her.

Would I want a player or manager who was found guilty of betting on baseball to play for or manage my team? I dunno. It would probably make me very uncomfortable. But I can tell you unequivocally that I would never want to see my team actively pursuing someone accused of what Myers was.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 02:07 PM
I think that a man who hits any woman is wrong but I think Brett Myers could be of great use to the team's starting rotation. The Reds need anything they can to get over the hump and into the playoffs. A couple of Cincinnati examples are the UC Bearcats and the Bengals. Bob Huggins built his program by taking in college players who had talent but also had troubled pasts. While the players sometimes caused major trouble the Bearcats were turned into a perennial March Madness team from being terrible. The same thing can said for the Bengals and what Marvin Lewis has done with players. Yes there are problems when you have talented and trouble-making players such as Chris Henry, but the Bengals aren't the Bungles because of moves like this as a collective whole. I hope the Reds would take the opportunity to get a pitcher of this caliber no matter his past. I would gain a great deal of respect for the Reds if they made a move like this to improve the Reds.

I don't buy into the win-at-any-cost mentality. There are costs. I don't think I could root for Brett Meyers, even if he took the Reds to the World Series. It would sour everything for me.

It's tough for me because I believe that people should be allowed second chances, and I also believe that people's personal lives and problems should be kept separate from work. What Meyers did does not inherently affect his pitching or even his effort as a teammate, and I have supported some real numbskulls on the field at times (though never a wife-beater). But in this situation, it's just too close. He definitely did this, it was definitely brutal, things like this run in patterns (there's very little chance this was a one-time thing) and there hasn't been enough time since it happened for him to learn how to fully deal with his anger. If this organization, knowing all this, decided to acquire him RIGHT NOW, I just couldn't support it. If five years were to go by and he had publicly acknowledged his problem and made efforts to correct it, I might feel differently. But not now.

CTA513
10-06-2006, 02:39 PM

Fans love Ryan Freel and hes had 2 DUIs since joining the Reds.

HumnHilghtFreel
10-06-2006, 02:42 PM

I think there's a significant line drawn between domestic abuse and gambling on games, especially since there's no proof to show that his gambling effected the scores of any games. Give me the guy with the gambling problem every time.

REDREAD
10-06-2006, 02:47 PM

Or what about Freel, who has had multiple DUI/drinking problems?

When someone drives drunk, they are in a deadly weapon. They could actually kill someone.

I'm not condoning hitting your wife, but apparently the couple worked it out. His wife said he's a good father and this is not an everyday occurance. If she's happy with the relationship, who are we to judge. Domestic altercations are often complex problems that involve fault from both sides.

And it appears the earlier charge of Myers "dragging her by the hair" were exaggerated. The other article said 'pulling her hair' which could mean just about anything.. Sure violence against women is bad, but the press loves to overexaggerate what happened. Again, not that a soft punch is ok vs a hard one.

I'd love to add Myers to our team, especially on the cheap. Baseball and the public seem to have forgiven Lugo (who also had a charge of assaulting a woman). Let's buy low on Myers.

Most people on this board have repeatedly stated they don't care about what a player does off the field.. that is, until it hits one of their hot buttons. I'm not singling out anyone either. I do it myself. It's human nature.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 04:24 PM
When someone drives drunk, they are in a deadly weapon. They could actually kill someone.

I would NEVER condone drunk driving, I'm actually kind of insane about it. But there are two things that make this a little different in my eyes: 1) your faculties are diminished when you're drunk, making you believe you're capable of more than you are and causing you to lose sense that what you're doing could hurt someone. There's no way that a man, even drunk, is under any delusions that hitting his wife isn't hurting her. The very INTENT is to hurt. 2) (and more important) Ryan Freel admitted his mistake, he was sentenced and has undergone treatment. Myers's comment on his behavior? "I've got nothing to say about it." He has not sought nor undergone treatment for his anger.

And it appears the earlier charge of Myers "dragging her by the hair" were exaggerated. The other article said 'pulling her hair' which could mean just about anything.. Sure violence against women is bad, but the press loves to overexaggerate what happened. Again, not that a soft punch is ok vs a hard one.

The 911 transcripts were released to the press. Here are samples of two separate calls made by bystanders:

"There's a guy like beating up his girlfriend."

"I got a guy smacking a girl around right in front of the Hynes Convention Center. She's crying. She's got no shoes on," a man reported. "He's a pretty big guy ... and he's hitting her hard."

the man who made the latter call was a former Marine who later spoke to the press. His comments then were "The whole thing just irks me. It irks my friends. It's just disgusting. He hauled off and smacked her across the face. This wasn't an argument. This was bad."

Doesn't really sound like a "soft punch" to me. Not that I see how that would be "ok" either.

It is a hot button. It should be. Unless he takes steps to change his behavior, this is indicative of questionable conduct both on and off the field.

Chip R
10-06-2006, 04:37 PM
"We root for laundry" - Jerry Seinfeld

Highlifeman21
10-06-2006, 10:42 PM
Fans love Ryan Freel and hes had 2 DUIs since joining the Reds.

This is essentially my point.

DUIs, spousal abuse, a drug problem, what have you in terms of personal life problems don't concern me as much as someone who violates the integrity of the game.

I'm not saying that I support spousal abuse, DUIs, drug problems, etc, but I'm saying I'd much rather have someone on my team with those demons/vices than someone who bets on the game and commits the worst crime in baseball.

Player X beats his wife, he doesn't hurt the game, he only hurts himself and probably his marriage. Player Y bets on the game, he destroys himself and the integrity of the game.

mth123
10-06-2006, 11:00 PM
Player X beats his wife, he doesn't hurt the game, he only hurts himself and probably his marriage. Player Y bets on the game, he destroys himself and the integrity of the game.

I usually like your posts but I disagree here. He doesn't hurt himself, he hurts his wife. Who is usually some one much smaller and defenseless. Arguing degrees of bad is usually a bad idea, but violence is on a whole different level IMO than Gambling and other such crimes. Woman are physically battered and many are killed each year in just such situations. Seems so much worse to me that the situations don't even belong in the same conversation.

Sorry to the board for getting too non-baseball.

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:01 PM
Player X beats his wife, he doesn't hurt the game, he only hurts himself and probably his marriage.

Uh...and his wife. And children if there are any.

Player Y bets on the game, he destroys himself and the integrity of the game.

Listen, I love baseball, but I don't consider it more important than people.

The argument of "his personal life is his personal life" is a valid one. But I think some of this reasoning for this argument is going a little wacky. These comparisons are ridiculous. Every time a crime is committed in baseball, gambling is brought up as a foil. Spousal abuse and gambling have nothing to do with each other. Of course the comparison is going to go wrong.

Team Clark
10-06-2006, 11:04 PM
There are dozens upon dozens of players each and everyone one of us root for every day that have done the same or worse than Myers. You just don't hear about it. Which is probably a good thing. I have been at parties, clubs, homes, on planes and on buses where similar or worse crimes or immoral activities took place and not a word in the press. Minor leagues on up to the big leagues. Brett Myers is the torch bearer becasue he was "Caught".

vaticanplum
10-06-2006, 11:08 PM
There are dozens upon dozens of players each and everyone one of us root for every day that have done the same or worse than Myers. You just don't hear about it. Which is probably a good thing. I have been at parties, clubs, homes, on planes and on buses where similar or worse crimes or immoral activities took place and not a word in the press. Minor leagues on up to the big leagues. Brett Myers is the torch bearer becasue he was "Caught".

I have no doubt about this. I think this is probably true not just for baseball for the population at large: a very small percentage of crimes is caught. Men, women, drinking and driving, abuse, everything. The law exists to deal with the people who are caught. That's the basis of a civilized society.