06-28-2006, 08:58 PM
Top 4:

(1) Toronto takes Borginani
(2) Portland (in trade) gets Aldridge
(3) Charlotte takes my boy, Adam Morrison
(4) Chicago (trade w/ Portland) take Tyrus Thomas

Puffy
06-28-2006, 09:00 PM
I am a Knick fan. I really want to make the switch to another team because of Layden, Dolan, Isiah, Marbury but I have been unsuccessful thus far.

I really want to like Charlotte cause i am a Tar Heel fan and last year they took Felton and Sean May, plus I am a big Okafor fan, and now Morrison.

Come on switcheroo!!!

Puffy
06-28-2006, 09:23 PM
next 4:

(5) Atlanta - Shelden Williams
(6) Minnesota - Brandon Roy
(7) Portland (from Boston) - Randy Foye
(8) Houston - Rudy Gay

ochre
06-28-2006, 09:26 PM
Evidently Atlanta had an agreement with Williams at that slot for a while now. I've been an erstwhile Hawks fan since I saw Dominique in the dunk contest that Larry Nance won in the mid-to-early 80s. Haven't paid much attention the last few years, as I have a threshold for number of bad teams I can follow concurrently.

Puffy
06-28-2006, 09:30 PM
Yeah, I'm not so sure Williams was good value at the 5 spot - especially for a team that has so many needs.

Williams will end up a solid role player, but not much more, IMO

Puffy
06-28-2006, 09:44 PM
Next 3

(9) Golden State - Patrick O'Bryant
(10) Seattle - Sene (C)
(11) Orlando - JJ Reddick

Cedric
06-28-2006, 10:00 PM
At least the NBA doesn't take itself seriously. The commish was on the podium before a pick having a running conversation with Dan Patrick.

Weird.

StillFunkyB
06-28-2006, 10:09 PM
Pretty weak draft...

It's actually a good thing. I'm glad players have to go to college at least one year.

StillFunkyB
06-28-2006, 10:10 PM
Will Iverson get traded...that is the question...

Puffy
06-28-2006, 10:24 PM
Damn - I was hoping S. Williams would fall to the Knicks. Oh well, Marcus Williams (aka Mark Jackson lite) is still there......

Cedric
06-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Did anyone catch that interview with the Knicks fan? Pretty embarrasing for everyone involved.

WVRed
06-28-2006, 10:33 PM
Will Iverson get traded...that is the question...

It better be to the Celtics, taking Telfair with Rudy Gay on the board is really making my blood crawl.

WVRed
06-28-2006, 10:38 PM
The Knicks take Renaldo Balkman, should we place Puffy on suicide watch?

Puffy
06-28-2006, 10:45 PM
Charlotte Bobcats - you are my new favorite team.

*****a*******w******c*****stupid********&%&****** Isiah!!

Reds4Life
06-28-2006, 10:51 PM
LOL, the Knicks are one of the worst run organizations in the NBA. You guys should have kept Larry Brown and fired Thomas.

Balkman with the 20th pick? That's so bad it's not even funny.

Puffy
06-28-2006, 11:01 PM
The Knicks are not one of the worst run, they ARE the worst run organization. Maybe in all of sports. Dolan is an idiot and Isiah is a failure.

15fan
06-28-2006, 11:14 PM
If Shelden Williams is one of the 5 best players available, that doesn't say a whole heck of a lot about the talent pool.

Actually, it's more like a talent puddle.

Cedric
06-28-2006, 11:25 PM
ESPN has put together a truly terrible experience tonight. Bravo.

Razor Shines
06-28-2006, 11:33 PM
Damn - I was hoping S. Williams would fall to the Knicks. Oh well, Marcus Williams (aka Mark Jackson lite) is still there......
I'm a Pacer fan, I didn't want him....of course I really don't want the Knicks pick. I hope they plan on trading williams.

Reds4Life
06-28-2006, 11:34 PM
Does it get anymore annoying than Stephen A. Smith?

Cedric
06-28-2006, 11:34 PM

It really doesn't. Honestly ESPN couldn't do worse with their whole NBA coverage. I don't watch much of it, but everytime I do I'm amazed by how bad it is.

Reds4Life
06-28-2006, 11:42 PM
James White went to Portland with the 31st pick.

Gallen5862
06-29-2006, 12:56 AM
I am a Charlotte Bobcat fan. I am excited to get our hometown Hero Michael Jordan as a part owner and then drafting Adam Morrison. Puffy you need to make the switch to the Bobcats. What were the knicks thinking in their draft?

Danny Serafini
06-29-2006, 10:15 AM
Not thrilled with the Shelden Williams pick as a Hawks fan. Let's see, they need a PG and a C, they've got about eleven 6' 8" guys already, why not draft another? Blah.

GoReds
06-29-2006, 10:28 AM
I think baseball is starting to re-emerge and the NBA is on the downturn. How else to explain getting excited over the MLB draft and not even watching a second of the NBA draft?

Yawn.

BTW - the answer is Stephen A. Smith. Doesn't matter what the question is, apparently only he has the correct answer.

Putz.

dabvu2498
06-29-2006, 10:40 AM
As a Cavs fan, I think they may have gotten the steal of the draft with Shannon Brown. I was hoping for a big man, but Shannon Brown was definately the best player available.

TeamBoone
06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
James White went to Portland with the 31st pick.

And he was almost immediately traded to the Pacers.

15fan
06-29-2006, 12:37 PM
I think baseball is starting to re-emerge and the NBA is on the downturn. How else to explain getting excited over the MLB draft and not even watching a second of the NBA draft?

Yawn.

12 months from now, the NBA draft will be worth following, as there will actually be franchise-player type talent available. This is the first year that high schoolers weren't allowed in the draft. It also happens to be arguably the best and deepest class in a generation.

It's all cyclical.

flyer85
06-29-2006, 12:41 PM
I am a Knick fan. then you sure had a good night. Which is what they will be saying to Thomas shortly.

flyer85
06-29-2006, 12:42 PM
The Knicks are not one of the worst run, they ARE the worst run organization. Maybe in all of sports. Dolan is an idiot and Isiah is a failure.Reminds me of Stepien and the Cavs from the early 80's

flyer85
06-29-2006, 12:44 PM
Does it get anymore annoying than Stephen A. Smith?He thinks elevating his voice is the same thing as making a coherent argument.

ochre
06-29-2006, 12:46 PM
The Knicks are not one of the worst run, they ARE the worst run organization. Maybe in all of sports.
The Hawks say :wave:

Puffy
06-29-2006, 12:53 PM
The Hawks say :wave:

The Knicks have the highest payroll in the NBA. With that the Hawks still had more wins last year than the Knicks.

The Knicks just let Larry Brown go after signing him last year - they owe him $40 million on his contract still.

The guy who is their GM is also their president and now their head coach. He has failed at every business he has tried since his NBA career ended. Now that kind of failure obviously qualifies you to be President of the US (GWB says hello) but not to run a sports organization.

The Hawks are bad. The Trailblazers are bad. The Raptors were bad, but they hired Colango so things are looking up for them, although this first pick has Darko written all over him. But none of them hold a candle to Dolan and Isiah and the Knicks.

M2
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM

I have to confess, I love Smith. Go to bar in an eastern metropolis and watch a game and you'll meet a guy like Smith. He'll go off on a tirade with barely any provocation. He'll lack volume and spittle control. He'll seamlessly work in digs about your mother if you disagree with him. He'll also buy you beers and throw his arm around you like you've been his best friend for years.

Sure he's loud and often preposterous, but I'll bet he's also a blast to hang out with. I find him infinitely more interesting than most of the buttoned-down talking heads ESPN airs.

WMR
06-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Not to mention that the Knicks also lost the right to potentially draft Greg Oden. Wow.

WMR
06-29-2006, 01:05 PM
I have to confess, I love Smith. Go to bar in an eastern metropolis and watch a game and you'll meet a guy like Smith. He'll go off on a tirade with barely any provocation. He'll lack volume and spittle control. He'll seamlessly work in digs about your mother if you disagree with him. He'll also buy you beers and throw his arm around like you've been his best friend for years.

Sure he's loud and often preposterous, but I'll bet he's also a blast to hang out with. I find him infinitely more interesting than most of the buttoned-down talking heads ESPN airs.

Doesn't everyone talk like Stephen A. Smith up north?

(JOKING... sort of) ;)

Puffy
06-29-2006, 01:12 PM
Not to mention that the Knicks also lost the right to potentially draft Greg Oden. Wow.

Yup, Chicago has the right to swap picks with the Knicks next year.

So, for those of you scoring at home - the Knicks got Eddy Curry and Antonio Davis for Tim Thomas, Michael Sweetney, Jermaine Jackson, the number 2 pick in the 2006 draft (Tyrus Thomas), the second round pick of the Knicks in 2007 and 2009, and the right for Chicago to switch 2007 draft picks (which is a definite lottery pick.

ochre
06-29-2006, 01:17 PM
The Knicks have the highest payroll in the NBA. With that the Hawks still had more wins last year than the Knicks.

The Knicks just let Larry Brown go after signing him last year - they owe him $40 million on his contract still.

The guy who is their GM is also their president and now their head coach. He has failed at every business he has tried since his NBA career ended. Now that kind of failure obviously qualifies you to be President of the US (GWB says hello) but not to run a sports organization.

The Hawks are bad. The Trailblazers are bad. The Raptors were bad, but they hired Colango so things are looking up for them, although this first pick has Darko written all over him. But none of them hold a candle to Dolan and Isiah and the Knicks.
You aren't allowing for the length of time factor in your analysis. The Hawks have been doing things like this since they signed John Koncak to a huge contract.

John Koncak.

dabvu2498
06-29-2006, 01:46 PM
I have to confess, I love Smith. Go to bar in an eastern metropolis and watch a game and you'll meet a guy like Smith. He'll go off on a tirade with barely any provocation. He'll lack volume and spittle control. He'll seamlessly work in digs about your mother if you disagree with him. He'll also buy you beers and throw his arm around like you've been his best friend for years.

A guy I wouldn't mind hanging out in a bar with and a guy I want analyzing the NBA draft are two very different things.

M2
06-29-2006, 02:06 PM
A guy I wouldn't mind hanging out in a bar with and a guy I want analyzing the NBA draft are two very different things.

Not me. I figure the guy in the bar is just as likely to make a cogent point as the suit.

dabvu2498
06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Not me. I figure the guy in the bar is just as likely to make a cogent point as the suit.
Then go to the bar and watch the draft with no sound. I'll take intelligence, not saying that any of the guys that were on last night are real high on that chart, but I did think Jay Bilas did a decent job.

M2
06-29-2006, 06:22 PM
Then go to the bar and watch the draft with no sound. I'll take intelligence, not saying that any of the guys that were on last night are real high on that chart, but I did think Jay Bilas did a decent job.

Or I could just watch Smith on TV. FWIW, I think he's plenty intelligent. He made the absolute best point of the night on the Knicks' first pick from what I saw when he said it was a team full of selfish players who lack a work ethic and won't get physical on defense or listen to the coach so that maybe a kid who doesn't demand the ball and defends like a demon is EXACTLY what the team needs ... though whether the kid they drafted fills the bill remains to be seen.

Outshined_One
06-29-2006, 07:05 PM
If Shelden Williams is one of the 5 best players available, that doesn't say a whole heck of a lot about the talent pool.

Actually, it's more like a talent puddle.

Nah, he wasn't one of the five best available guys. The Hawks had a pre-draft deal worked out with him weeks before the draft so that he'd sign on the cheap. He'll be a decent player in the NBA and was probably a low lottery pick in the overall scheme of things coming into the draft.

The Hawks could have used some one like Foye or Roy way more, though.

I liked what the Bulls did. They got two of the better athletes in the draft in Thomas and Thabo. Both guys are already pretty polished defensively with good ceilings. I don't think either guy will be a starter this season, but they will be helpful off the bench. Skiles is a good coach in a good situation, so I think they'll be in good hands. I'm curious to see where those guys will be in two years.