PDA

View Full Version : June 28, 1970 ... Reds In First-Place By 9 Games With 52-21 Record

LINEDRIVER
06-28-2006, 09:21 PM
June 28, 1970 ... For the third time in their careers, rightfielder Pete Rose and centerfielder Bobby Tolan combine to start the game with back-to-back homers for Cincinnati. Thirdbaseman Tony Perez hits his 27th homer of the season off Don Wilson in the top of the 9th for a 3–2 Reds win. Reds' righty Clay Carroll picks up his fifth win after relieving starter Gary Nolan.

Todays' win moves Cincinnati's record to 52-21, 9 games ahead of the runner-up Los Angeles Dodgers in the NL West.

This game marks the final road game before the Reds come home to play in the brand new Riverfront Stadium for the first time. The Reds will host the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday night, June 30th.

oregonred
06-28-2006, 10:13 PM
I was only about three months at the time, but I remember reading the box score the next day...

If I recall FCB was posting and was very miffed that the Reds overrated offense couldn't get to the opposing pen earlier in the night :)

macro
06-29-2006, 12:41 AM
This game marks the final road game before the Reds come home to play in the brand new Riverfront Stadium for the first time. The Reds will host the Atlanta Braves on Tuesday night, June 30th.

Can't wait to see the new ballpark! The Astroturf will virtually guarantee no more rainouts, and this will mean that the Reds will never again play their home games on natural grass. I predict that in ten years, no team will still be using natural grass. With it's concrete and steel construction, I doubt the new stadium will ever have to be replaced, either. Why would they want to?

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 01:07 AM
If I recall FCB was posting and was very miffed that the Reds overrated offense couldn't get to the opposing pen earlier in the night :)
FCB is in favor of getting some guy named Morgan from the astros, what's up with that?? :devil:

Heath
06-29-2006, 09:10 AM
So, they were 52-21 - stretched it out to 70-30 and then 102 wins.

The Tigers have won 54 games already - I don't think they can get to 70-30 unless they get on another roll. And they are doing it with Brandon Inge at 3rd and Chris Shelton. Wow.