PDA

View Full Version : What Should The Reds Batting Order Be?

nick311reds
06-28-2006, 11:52 PM
Heres my line up with our best everyday players. What's yours..

Lopez SS
Phillips 2B
Kearns RF
Griffey CF
Aurilia 1B
Dunn LF
Encarnacion 3B
Ross C
Pitcher P

:thumbup:

KoryMac5
06-29-2006, 12:09 AM
Lopez
Phillips
Dunn
Griffey
Kearns
Rich or Hatt
Edwin
Catcher of Choice
Pitcher

I did like Dunn in the 2 spot the other night but I love speed at the top of the order with Phillips and Lopez to make Dunn a fixture there.

reds44
06-29-2006, 12:21 AM
Lopez
BP
Griffey
Edwin
Dunn
Kearns
RA/Hatte
Ross

BoilerBC11
06-29-2006, 12:37 AM
Freel-CF
Lopez-SS
Griffey-LF
Dunn-1B
Kearns-RF
BP-2b
Edwin-3b
Ross-C

TOBTTReds
06-29-2006, 12:52 AM
Dunn's numbers say he should never be batting lower than 4th....personally I think he should never be below 3rd with the amount of times he reaches base. The fact that Griffey bats ahead of him is ridiculous. If there is one thing Griffey does, it is drive in runs, one thing that Dunn does is get on base, so why no put him in front of Griffey. Dunn will also see better pitches bc they will be less likely to pitch around Dunn knowing Griffey is on deck.

Freel
Lopez
Dunn - 1B
Griffey
Edwin
Kearns
Phillips
any of the 3 headed monster

We have an amazing offense that is misused every day.

With Hatteberg

Lopez
Hatteberg (very unsure about this, but I love his obp, but such a slow runner, but not like Dunn or Jr. are catching up to him)
Dunn
Griffey
Edwin
Kearns
Phillips
Catcher

I don't have a lineup with Aurilia, just not cleanup

kyred14
06-29-2006, 01:26 AM
Dunn should bat third, like everyday. Freel leads off, Dunn 3rd, Jr. 4th. Do with the rest what you wish.

whodeynati85
06-29-2006, 01:42 AM
1.Phillips-2B
2.Lopez-SS
3.Griffey-CF
4.Dunn-LF
5.Edwin-3B
6.Kearns-RF
7.Aurillia-1B
8.Ross-C

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 02:21 AM
Right now?

Freel 3B
Lopez SS
Dunn LF
JR CF
Phillips 2B
Kearns RF
Aurilia 1B
Ross C

OnBaseMachine
06-29-2006, 07:57 AM
Dunn is hitting .353/.421/.824-1.245 when he bats 2nd, I'm assuming that's because of Griffey protecting him in the lineup. With that said, here is my lineup for when EE returns.

SS Lopez
2B Phillips
LF Dunn
CF Griffey Jr.
3B Encarnacion
RF Kearns
1B Aurilia/Hatteberg
C Ross/LaRue

Freel still gets a lot of PT when someone is given a day off.

Without EE:

Freel
Lopez
Dunn
Griffey
Kearns
Phillips
Hatteberg/Aurilia
Ross/LaRue

Redhook
06-29-2006, 08:20 AM
It's so nice seeing most of you guys putting JR. batting cleanup. I've been saying this alot in the last few weeks. JR. in the cleanup spot give the Reds much need stability and better options all-around. I think this is the best lineup, but a couple of players would need to change positions:

Freel LF/3B
Lopez SS
Dunn 1B/LF
JR CF
EE 3B/1B
Kearns RF
Phillips 2B
Ross C

No Freel:

Phillips 2B
Lopez SS
Dunn LF
JR CF
EE 3B
Kearns RF
Hatte/Aurilia 1B
Ross C

Personally, I'd like to see the middle of the lineup remain consistent with Lopez, Dunn, JR, EE, Kearns batting 2-6 every day. When Freel, Aurilia, Hatte are in the lineup you switch positions 1 and 7 a little bit. Seems simple to me.

Jpup
06-29-2006, 08:22 AM
Right now?

Freel 3B
Lopez SS
Dunn LF
JR CF
Phillips 2B
Kearns RF
Aurilia 1B
Ross C

no Hatteberg?

saboforthird
06-29-2006, 12:59 PM
Freel
Lopez
Junior
Kearns
Phllips
Dunn
Aurilia
Ross

I think that until Dunn proves he can do something other than get on base, he shouldn't be in a position where he needs to drive in runs on a frequent basis, at the top of the lineup. His RISP numbers were horrible at last look. I think it's great that he CAN get on base as much as he does, but he doesn't do much to help himself on the bases, and the focus ought to be on him driving other runners in. That's what they paid him to do, right?

pedro
06-29-2006, 01:03 PM
Freel
Lopez
Junior
Kearns
Phllips
Dunn
Aurilia
Ross

I think that until Dunn proves he can do something other than get on base, he shouldn't be in a position where he needs to drive in runs on a frequent basis. His RISP numbers were horrible at last look. I think it's great that he CAN get on base as much as he does, but he doesn't do much to help himself on the bases, and the focus ought to be on him driving other runners in. That's what they paid him to do, right?

They pay him to play baseball.

nick311reds
06-29-2006, 01:06 PM
I think you put Dunn in the fifth or sixth spot. The guy can't hit with runners in scorring position and thats what you want you're 3rd and 4th batters to do. Dunn can walk or hit his solo homers all day at the 5th and 6th spot and will probable have better numbers there. Griff is perfect for the 4th spot. Lopez and Phillips are great speed guys, they need to be at the top of the order setting the table we all agree on that so why does Narron have Phillips hitting deep in the order. Kearns is having a great year as well and hits for power and average a perfect fit for the 3 hole.

BRM
06-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Freel
His RISP numbers were horrible at last look. I think it's great that he CAN get on base as much as he does, but he doesn't do much to help himself on the bases, and the focus ought to be on him driving other runners in. That's what they paid him to do, right?

His batting average w/RISP numbers are bad. His overall RISP numbers are not. SLG% is the primary RBI driver, not batting average.

pedro
06-29-2006, 01:10 PM
If "dunn doesn't do much to help himself on the bases" how is it that he's leading the team in runs scored?

BRM
06-29-2006, 01:10 PM
If "dunn doesn't do much to help himself on the bases" how is it that he's leading the team in runs scored?

Must be all those solo HRs padding his stats.

nick311reds
06-29-2006, 01:13 PM
Must be all those solo HRs padding his stats.

Exactly.

RedsManRick
06-29-2006, 01:14 PM
Lopez, 2B
Hatteberg, 1B
Dunn, LF
Griffey, RF
Kearns, CF
EE, 3B
Phillips, 2B
Ross/Valentin/LaRue, C

Batting a high OBP, low SLG guy 5th continues to baffle me.

If Aurilia has to be in the lineup...

Lopez, 2B
Phillips, SS
Dunn, LF
Griffey, RF
Kearns, CF
EE, 3B
Aurilia, 1B
Ross/Valentin/LaRue, C

For what it's worth, I'd be bringing Freel in as a pinch runner/hitter in nearly every game. When we're ahead I put him in CF and move Kearns back to RF. If we're behind I bring him in at 3B.

pedro
06-29-2006, 01:20 PM
Lopez
Dunn
Kearns
Griffey
EE
Phillips
Aurilia/Hatteberg
Larue/Ross

registerthis
06-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Exactly.

And we know how worthless all of those stat-padding solo shots are.

pedro
06-29-2006, 01:28 PM
And we know how worthless all of those stat-padding solo shots are.

How dare he scopre runs with aiding his teammates in the acquisition of RISP opportunities!

We all know that a single with a guy on third is more valuable than a measy solo HR.

nick311reds
06-29-2006, 01:31 PM
How dare he scopre runs with aiding his teammates in the acquisition of RISP opportunities!

We all know that a single with a guy on third is more valuable than a measy solo HR.

It depends on what part of the order your batting in.

BRM
I was being sarcastic.

pedro

why?

BRM
06-29-2006, 01:32 PM

A HR is valuable regardless of position in the batting order.

pedro
I was being sarcastic.

yes you were.

nick311reds
If you strike out more than anyone else in the league and don't hit the ball with runners in scoring position it doesnt matter If you hit 40 homers in a season your fodder.

pedro
06-29-2006, 01:33 PM
If you strike out more than anyone else in the league and don't hit the ball with runners in scoring position it doesnt matter If you hit 40 homers in a season your fodder.

really?

Joseph
06-29-2006, 01:34 PM
F. Lopez - SS
B. Phillips - 2B
A. Kearns - RF
A. Dunn - LF
K. Griffey - CF
E. Encarnacion - 3B
S. Hatteberg - 1B
J. LaRue - C

BRM
06-29-2006, 01:36 PM
really?

Apparently. I guess we're just too blind to see it.

pedro
I like Phillips down in the lineup because he puts the bat on the ball so well but I can see the appeal of having him in the 1 or 2 slots too.

nick311reds
Id rather have a guy that hit with a 300 avg and 15 or 20 homers, had great speed and hit with risp then having adam dunn. Basicly I'd choose someone like Brandon Phillips over Dunn any day..

fielder's choice
06-29-2006, 01:38 PM
Freel 3b
Phillips 2b
Griffey Jr cf
Dunn lf
kearns rf
lopez ss
hatteburg 1b (aurilia only against LH's)
ross/larue

if you remember in april when they were killing the ball, we had griffey 3rd, dunn 4th.

pedro
06-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Apparently. I guess we're just too blind to see it.

I don't actually watch games myself. I only read the game logs on a listserv from the university of findlay. that way nothing gets in the way of me while I worship at the alter of OPS.

as soon as I sarcrifice 3 more chickens Dunn with climb out of his slump.

reds44
06-29-2006, 01:39 PM
Are some of you guys leaving Edwin out of your lineup because he is hurt, or do you actually feel Freel should start over him?

BRM
06-29-2006, 01:40 PM
Id rather have a guy that hit with a 300 avg and 15 or 20 homers, had great speed and hit with risp then having adam dunn. Basicly I'd choose someone like Brandon Phillips over Dunn any day..

That's cool. Personally, I'd choose the guy that made the fewest outs and created the most runs. Assuming we are putting defense aside for the moment.

reds44
06-29-2006, 01:42 PM
I'm not sure I don't agree with that considering BP has more RBI's, SB, and a better glove. However I have no idea if BP will keep this up.

M2
06-29-2006, 01:46 PM
Vs. RHPs w/ Encarnacion back I'd like to see the following:

Lopez - SS
Phillips - 2B
Dunn - LF
Jr. - CF
Encarnacion - 3B
Hatteberg - 1B
Kearns - RF
Three-headed monster - C

Though if Kearns is dealt, something like this might be interesting:

Freel - CF
Lopez - SS
Dunn - LF
Jr. - RF
Encarnacion - 3B
Hatteberg - 1B
Phillips - 2B
Three-headed monster - C

westofyou
06-29-2006, 01:57 PM
Prove it, prove to me that Adam Dunn sucks, prove to me that Adam Dunn doesn't help this teams offense.

Just quit talking and prove it.

reds44
06-29-2006, 02:00 PM

Did you really just say that?

M2
06-29-2006, 02:03 PM
Prove it, prove to me that Adam Dunn sucks, prove to me that Adam Dunn doesn't help this teams offense.

Just quit talking and prove it.

Wait a second, do you mean that the guy who leads the team in runs scored and RBIs every season might not suck?

Golly, glad I suggested he hit higher in the lineup if that's the case.

BRM
06-29-2006, 02:08 PM
Wait a second, do you mean that the guy who leads the team in runs scored and RBIs every season might not suck?

Golly, glad I suggested he hit higher in the lineup if that's the case.

Walks and solo homeruns suppress run scoring on the team level. Didn't you get the memo?

TOBTTReds
06-29-2006, 03:27 PM
There were some guys who sitting behind me last night complained about everything wrong (or right) with Adam Dunn, like:

"He takes too many walks, he should be swinging the bat"

So I "quietly" tell my girlfriend that "walks are no good because you get on base, and base runners score runs. And he should swing at bad pitches so he doesn't walk." - of course I was being sarcastic and she knews this the whole time (I think she has heard me rant on this before).

Then Hatte hits his HR and scores Dunn after his walk. The guys behind me cheer, as I turn around to wipe off my seat I say loudly to my girlfriend, "see, I hate when Dunn walks, he always ends up scoring. That is why he leads the team in runs, I wish he swung more."

Later in the game (Dunn's 3rd walk i believe), the guys continue to complain about him walking, and a girl sitting with them says, "hey, he scored last time he walked, it's not bad."

I almost jumped out of my seat to give her a big hug. The message is being relayed around the park as we speak.

Walks will haunt as the old Riverfront scoreboard would say.

registerthis
06-29-2006, 03:30 PM
Then Hatte hits his HR and scores Dunn after his walk. The guys behind me cheer, as I turn around to wipe off my seat I say loudly to my girlfriend, "see, I hate when Dunn walks, he always ends up scoring. That is why he leads the team in runs, I wish he swung more."

But but but

The run that Dunn scored was inconsequential, because the Reds won by 5. When Dunn walks and scores, it's always inconsequential runs.

;)

TOBTTReds
06-29-2006, 03:48 PM
But but but

The run that Dunn scored was inconsequential, because the Reds won by 5. When Dunn walks and scores, it's always inconsequential runs.

;)

Yeah, I was thinking had Dunn hit that HR, they would have said that "we were already up 4-1. What a meaningless HR."

BRM
06-29-2006, 03:49 PM
I don't know why but I just love the term "meaningless homerun".

TOBTTReds
06-29-2006, 04:06 PM

I could understand a "meaningless HR" if you are up by 8 in the 9th inning or something. With this bullpen though, you need an 8 run lead to feel remotely safe.

Puffy
06-29-2006, 04:18 PM
Freel CF
Dunn 1B
Griffey LF
Kearns RF
Lopez SS
Encarnacion 3B
Phillips 2B
Ross/LaRue/Valentin

pedro
06-29-2006, 04:22 PM
Freel CF
Dunn 1B
Griffey LF
Kearns RF
Lopez SS
Encarnacion 3B
Phillips 2B
Ross/LaRue/Valentin

I like.

M2
06-29-2006, 04:39 PM

Oddly it's often used by folks who then argue that hitters should try to make contact as often as possible in order to hopefully advance a baserunner in order to maybe score a single run.

Puffy
06-29-2006, 04:41 PM
Well, we all know that a manufactured run counts more than a solo homerun.

Its like Raisor's famous chart:

manufactured run > double plus a single > solo HR > walking w/ the bases loaded

flyer85
06-29-2006, 04:46 PM
different

Matt700wlw
06-29-2006, 04:47 PM

He's just a stat-padder :D

Highlifeman21
06-29-2006, 05:34 PM
Freel
Lopez
Junior
Kearns
Phllips
Dunn
Aurilia
Ross

I think that until Dunn proves he can do something other than get on base, he shouldn't be in a position where he needs to drive in runs on a frequent basis, at the top of the lineup. His RISP numbers were horrible at last look. I think it's great that he CAN get on base as much as he does, but he doesn't do much to help himself on the bases, and the focus ought to be on him driving other runners in. That's what they paid him to do, right?

Why don't we just have Arroyo bat 4th whenever he pitches as well? Or better yet, why don't we have Dunn just lead off, and tell him to be more aggressive on the base paths?

Freel's only spots in the lineup are 1, 7 or 8. 1 is ok.

Lopez at the 2? So far the only thing he's proven this year is that last year was a career year and maybe he's not as good as we originally thought. Trade him while his perceived value may be high.

Griffey's fine at 3 or 4.

Kearns at the 4 is interesting, but that's where Dunn or Griffey should be.

Phillips at the 5 is just begging for truck loads of guys to be left on base, since historically Phillips is an out making machine. The 5 spot should be reserved for Kearns

Dunn 6th? Clearly you were drunk when you posted this, out of your mind, or clearly don't understand Dunn's role with the team or the type of player he's proven to been. 3 or 4 for Dunn. That's it.

Aurillia 7th? Sure. But why is he playing? Where's EE? Should be in the 6th hole. Phillips should be in the 7th hole.

Ross 8th. Finally, you got something right.

To recap, instead of this piece of a lineup, it should be something more like....

Freel
Lopez
Griffey
Dunn
Kearns
EE
Phillips
Ross

Personally, I'd much rather see us trade Lopez for maybe a legitimate lead off guy, but people in hell want ice water, so I won't get my wish this year for Christmas.

Handofdeath
06-29-2006, 05:56 PM
1. Freel CF
2. Phillips 2B
3. Aurilia SS
4. Griffey 1B
5. Kearns RF
6. Dunn LF
7. Encarnacion 3B
8. Ross C

M2
06-29-2006, 06:02 PM
3. Aurilia SS

Why do I get the feeling that entire lineup was submitted just to use this one brilliant comedy element?

Handofdeath
06-29-2006, 06:08 PM
Why do I get the feeling that entire lineup was submitted just to use this one massive comedy element?

It's a small sample size but in 9 games this year Aurilia has batted 3rd. For the old schoolers, he's batted .342. For the statheads he's got a 1.115 OPS.

M2
06-29-2006, 06:13 PM
It's a small sample size but in 9 games this year Aurilia has batted 3rd. For the old schoolers, he's batted .342. For the statheads he's got a 1.115 OPS.

And there's no way on God's green earth he'd produce anything like it if you played him there every day. Not to mention that Jerry Narron's the guy who ended Rich's shortstop career and I'm guessing he isn't going to start it back up.

Anyway, tell the truth, that had to be deadpan Internet comedy. I refuse to believe otherwise.

registerthis
06-29-2006, 06:14 PM

Yeah, I hit a home run once in little league, too.

Puffy
06-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Aurilia over Lopez and batting third??

Wow, Bob Boone is in da house.

Handofdeath
06-29-2006, 06:17 PM
Watch the attacks on other posters.

--ochre

ochre
06-29-2006, 06:18 PM
and if that's not enough evidence for you take a look at his 3yr splits in the 3 slot. They're overwhelming.

AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO AVG OBP SLG OPS
Batting #3 251 32 63 13 0 6 25 17 43 .251 .299 .375 .674

pedro
06-29-2006, 06:20 PM
Aurilia over Lopez and batting third??

That was Miley. Bob would have played Aaron at SS and batting 3rd.

Puffy
06-29-2006, 06:22 PM
That was Miley. Bob would have played Aaron at SS and batting 3rd.

Hey, Bob Boone's supergenius knows no bounds. He might have played them both at SS simultaneously.

Think about that.

VR
06-29-2006, 06:23 PM
Dunn 2 or 3....every night.
Griffey behind Dunn

On a silly note, I'd throw Ross in @ cleanup once in awhile against lefties.....I dig his .486 OBP and .969 Slg this year. I know, I know, small sample size; but it let's see if there really is lightning in that there bottle.

StillFunkyB
06-29-2006, 06:23 PM
CF Freel
SS Lopez
1B Dunn
LF Junior
RF Ears
3B The Dominican Babe Ruth
2B Phillips
C Ross

M2
06-29-2006, 06:26 PM
Watch the attacks on other posters.

Whoa nelly, I really was under the impression that was submitted as intentional comedy. I almost made it my signature line before I responded to it I thought it was so funny.

Until this post I thought you'd just exhibited a flash of subtle genius.

BRM
06-29-2006, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I hit a home run once in little league, too.

Was it a monster blast?

pedro
06-29-2006, 06:34 PM
Was it a monster blast?

A meaningless solo one. ;)

registerthis
06-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Was it a monster blast?

Nah, it was just a wall-scraping stat-padder that led to an inconsequential run.

I was trying to secure a spot on the travelling team the next season.

RFS62
06-29-2006, 06:35 PM
Whoa nelly, I really was under the impression that was submitted as intentional comedy. I almost made it my signature line before I responded to it I thought it was so funny.

Until this post I thought you'd just exhibited a flash of subtle genius.

So much for that thought.

pedro
06-29-2006, 06:37 PM
I don't know why y'all hate freedom so much.

BRM
06-29-2006, 06:39 PM
I don't know why y'all hate freedom so much.

Is Stephen Colbert in the house?

BRM
06-29-2006, 06:40 PM
A meaningless solo one. ;)

Ah, a rally killer.

RFS62
06-29-2006, 06:41 PM
Ah, a rally killer.

Yeah, that selfish jerk.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 08:45 PM
no Hatteberg?
He plays vs righties in place of the Rich

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 08:45 PM
I blame him.

saboforthird
06-30-2006, 03:58 AM
really?

Yes, really. Minus the OBP% Dunn reminds me of one Dave Kingman. And, I'll bet you 10-to-1 he's going to end his career with similar numbers. Whether hitting instructors mess with his head or not.

saboforthird
06-30-2006, 04:05 AM
Finally, you got something right.

Dude, what is your problem?

Ron Madden
06-30-2006, 05:15 AM
Yes, really. Minus the OBP% Dunn reminds me of one Dave Kingman. And, I'll bet you 10-to-1 he's going to end his career with similar numbers. Whether hitting instructors mess with his head or not.

Do you understand anything about OBP% ?

Raisor
06-30-2006, 07:58 AM
Yes, really. Minus the OBP% Dunn reminds me of one Dave Kingman. .

That's kinda like saying "if my grandmother had wheels she'd be a wagon".

Raisor
06-30-2006, 07:58 AM

Negative Ghost Rider, the pattern is full.

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2006, 07:59 AM
Minus the OBP% Dunn reminds me of one Dave Kingman. And, I'll bet you 10-to-1 he's going to end his career with similar numbers.

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

And I'll take you up on that bet.

M2
06-30-2006, 10:35 AM

Put me down for 100 large on that. I could an easy million.

westofyou
06-30-2006, 10:45 AM
I'm in, so far we have HR's /K's and height as a barometer.

BTW I remember Dave Kingmans "whole" career not just his last days as an A, or what his baseball card looked like.

Puffy
06-30-2006, 04:02 PM

I'll take that bet. Put me down for $100,000

Matt700wlw
06-30-2006, 04:10 PM
Dunn in the 2 hole.

It seems to be working...leave it alone.

pedro
06-30-2006, 04:12 PM

He understands that we are its' slave.

all hail the might OBP!

pedro
06-30-2006, 04:27 PM

You mean the Dave Kingman who scored more than 80 runs exactly once in his career, hit more than 40 HR's once, and only had more than 100 RBI's twice?

Should I have my lawyers draw up the papers?

TeamSelig
06-30-2006, 04:29 PM
If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

And I'll take you up on that bet.

LMAO new sig

flyer85
06-30-2006, 04:33 PM
Lopez
EE
Dunn
Jr
Kearns
Hattyberg
Phillips
Ross

ochre
06-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Freel
Dunn
Lopez
Jr
Kearns
Encarnacion
Phillps
The Street

KronoRed
07-01-2006, 12:04 AM
The Street? is that a new pitcher? ;)

dabvu2498
07-01-2006, 12:08 AM
The Street? is that a new pitcher? ;)
The Street = .495 OPS in French

Highlifeman21
07-01-2006, 01:06 AM
Dude, what is your problem?

I'm not the only one that is amused by your flawed logic.

Seems to be a laundry list of posters on the board amused by what you have to offer.

BTW, can I get in on the Dunn's career numbers will end up like Kingman's bet too?