PDA

View Full Version : Reds launch discount ticket program

savafan
06-29-2006, 02:21 AM
http://cincinnati.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/stories/2006/06/26/daily24.html

The Cincinnati Reds have started a discount program that allows fans to buy tickets, food and drinks for $12 each.

The new "4 for $48" ticket program means fans can purchase four View Level tickets, four hot dogs and four 24-ounce soft drinks for $48. The program starts with Thursday's game against the Kansas City Royals.

To take advantage of the offer, fans must buy tickets in advance of game day. They can buy them by going to www.reds.com, by calling (513) 381-REDS or (877) 647-REDS, or by going to the Great American Ball Park advance ticket windows.

View Level tickets on their own typically cost $12.

The move is aimed at addressing fans' concerns that a trip to the ballpark is too expensive for many families.

"We're always looking for additional ways to provide quality Major League Baseball as an affordable entertainment option," Reds Chief Executive Officer Bob Castellini said in a news release.

Despite its strong start -- the Reds' 41-36 record leads the wild-card race -- the team's attendance is lagging behind most of the league. The Reds have drawn 927,664 fans through Tuesday's game. The per-game average of 25,072 ranks 22nd out of 30 Major League Baseball teams.

TOBTTReds
06-29-2006, 02:56 AM
This sounds like a great idea. I wish there was a designated area for these tickets, not just field view. Like in Detroit they have the Pepsi Porch that is a similar idea. I think it is $10 for a piece of pizza and a pepsi.

Hopefully they get the word out. They should be running ads non stop on FSN. Hopefully cover up some terrible JTM dancing, or multi-tasking.

Redhook
06-29-2006, 07:29 AM
It's about time. The marketing team needs to make some changes to get people down to the park during the week. I think this is a nice start. I'd love to see more changes too. People, in general, love free stuff and things on sale. Here's 3 of my ideas:

1) If I was the Reds I would have a $1 hot dog night one day of the week.
2) I would also have free Pepsi day with the purchase of any sandwich one night.
3) Or what about a buy one get one free night on anything in the park? Those are just some ideas I have that I think would help boost attendance. To me, it doesn't make sense that you can get in the park for $5, but it will cost you 4 times that amount to have a couple of beers and a sandwich.

Jharb74
06-29-2006, 08:43 AM
Hopefully they get the word out. They should be running ads non stop on FSN. Hopefully cover up some terrible JTM dancing, or multi-tasking.

That would be great but FSN's ads have had a spot for the Jason Larue John Deere hat promotion on JUNE 2nd, for weeks now. Even though they mean July.

Heath
06-29-2006, 09:28 AM
I think this should deserve a sticky - IMO - people are always looking for things like this .

I was planning on going down in July and sit in 'Kitty Duran' seats (a la Bob Uecker) in the $5 seats :D - but this is a better deal, IMO.

KittyDuran
06-29-2006, 09:33 AM
To me, it doesn't make sense that you can get in the park for $5, but it will cost you 4 times that amount to have a couple of beers and a sandwich.Can't help you with the beer... but you can bring in food to GABP.

Redus
06-29-2006, 09:46 AM
Im really digging our new owner

TeamBoone
06-29-2006, 12:55 PM
It's about time.

Actually, they did this last year too.

MartyFan
06-29-2006, 01:23 PM
For thoses of you who say "It's about time" and all other similar comments...keep in mind that this ownership group has only been around a few months...in that time they have hired a gm, front offic, scouting, marketing and not to mention the amount of community work they have done in Cincinnati and in Florida...they ahve reached out to fans, former players and media more in the few months they have been around then the prior ownership group did the entire time they were in power....these guys are moving at a very fast pace...VERY FAST and for them to be where they are at this point is unbelievable.

dabvu2498
06-29-2006, 01:38 PM
For thoses of you who say "It's about time" and all other similar comments...keep in mind that this ownership group has only been around a few months...in that time they have hired a gm, front offic, scouting, marketing and not to mention the amount of community work they have done in Cincinnati and in Florida...they ahve reached out to fans, former players and media more in the few months they have been around then the prior ownership group did the entire time they were in power....these guys are moving at a very fast pace...VERY FAST and for them to be where they are at this point is unbelievable.
Let's also not forget that the previous regime sent out thousands of vouchers for FREE view level tickets to students, teachers, police, firefighters, hospital emplyees, etc., etc.

Granted, they put a crummy product on the field, so maybe you were getting what you paid for.

MartyFan
06-29-2006, 03:33 PM
Let's also not forget that the previous regime sent out thousands of vouchers for FREE view level tickets to students, teachers, police, firefighters, hospital emplyees, etc., etc.

Granted, they put a crummy product on the field, so maybe you were getting what you paid for.

The difference between a free ticket and a discounted ticket or package is the percieved value of what the person is getting.

I would pay $48 for four tickets to see this team play...especially with BA on the mound...the free eats are the sweet iceing on the cake.:thumbup:

dabvu2498
06-29-2006, 04:00 PM
The difference between a free ticket and a discounted ticket or package is the percieved value of what the person is getting.

I would pay $48 for four tickets to see this team play...especially with BA on the mound...the free eats are the sweet iceing on the cake.:thumbup:
I'm confused. Tell me if what I'm saying here is wrong.

Restaurant is open for business. It's not so good but not the worst restaurant in town either. Kicker is, you can eat for free.

Restaurant is sold, comes under new management. It's better... quite a bit better, but still lacks in some areas. You have to pay full price to eat at this restaurant, but you get free appetizers and one drink (no refills).

I'm excited about them being better, too. But the package deal that is available now doesn't compare to being able to get freebies. And even if you weren't in one of the groups that got freebies, they were all over the community.

It really doesn't matter to me, as I have season tix anyway. (Bought them when I found out there would be no more vouchers... sucker I am.)

PS: Some Chevy/GM dealers in Cincy area have discounted/free tickets available if you visit the dealership. I believe I saw this on FSN broadcast the other night.

DoogMinAmo
06-29-2006, 06:03 PM
I'm confused. Tell me if what I'm saying here is wrong.

Restaurant is open for business. It's not so good but not the worst restaurant in town either. Kicker is, you can eat for free.

Restaurant is sold, comes under new management. It's better... quite a bit better, but still lacks in some areas. You have to pay full price to eat at this restaurant, but you get free appetizers and one drink (no refills).

I'm excited about them being better, too. But the package deal that is available now doesn't compare to being able to get freebies. And even if you weren't in one of the groups that got freebies, they were all over the community.

It really doesn't matter to me, as I have season tix anyway. (Bought them when I found out there would be no more vouchers... sucker I am.)

PS: Some Chevy/GM dealers in Cincy area have discounted/free tickets available if you visit the dealership. I believe I saw this on FSN broadcast the other night.

The difference is, the free vouchers were only good to bring people to the park once and were a gift from Carl. This a bonus that works any day of the week, could actually boost attendance more than just once, and is run through the Reds.

I could see this helping with attendance a lot. Bring the people out, they either spend more money that time, or like what the see and want to come back again. Sounds like good marketing/ fundraising to me!

Ltlabner
06-29-2006, 06:13 PM
And consider the perception of it also. Under Lindner you got a free ticket, but then had to come to the stadium, pay for food and watch a horrible team (Forget about bringing food to the ballpark as most people are too lazy to do this). Yes, they got a free ticket but they can still gripe about the food and the team.

With the 4 for $48 deal, while you are expending $48 you are also geting some food for "free" which seems to make it a better deal in the minds of some. Wow...look what I got extra! It's like when you offer a rebate for a product, most people don't bother to send it in. But put a large package item on the shelf with a big sign that says 15% more free (even though they are paying more for the total item) and people eat it up.

And, in the Reds case, they now get to see a better team and one that has a hope of being even better in the future. All around I can see why people would like this better than just being handed a free voucher.

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 07:44 PM
They should PAY you for eating the hod dogs ;)

TeamBoone
06-29-2006, 08:03 PM
They should PAY you for eating the hod dogs ;)

I wish they would because I love 'em!!

Red in Chicago
06-29-2006, 08:28 PM
22nd out of 30 teams...absolutely pathetic...

NastyBoy
06-29-2006, 09:14 PM
How bout $1 beer night? :beerme:

dabvu2498
06-30-2006, 08:23 AM
And consider the perception of it also. Under Lindner you got a free ticket, but then had to come to the stadium, pay for food and watch a horrible team (Forget about bringing food to the ballpark as most people are too lazy to do this). Yes, they got a free ticket but they can still gripe about the food and the team.

With the 4 for $48 deal, while you are expending $48 you are also geting some food for "free" which seems to make it a better deal in the minds of some. Wow...look what I got extra! It's like when you offer a rebate for a product, most people don't bother to send it in. But put a large package item on the shelf with a big sign that says 15% more free (even though they are paying more for the total item) and people eat it up.

And, in the Reds case, they now get to see a better team and one that has a hope of being even better in the future. All around I can see why people would like this better than just being handed a free voucher.
What you're really saying is "people are lemmings."

Ltlabner
06-30-2006, 08:24 AM
What you're really saying is "people are lemmings."

Lemmings in search of free stuff....

Heath
06-30-2006, 08:58 AM
How bout $1 beer night? :beerme:

Nope. In Chicago maybe.

Why dumb down a product you know someone will pay top dollar for anyway?

Chip R
06-30-2006, 10:21 AM
22nd out of 30 teams...absolutely pathetic...

Yeah, but at least the new regime is trying to do something about it rather than blaming the fans for not showing up to watch a sub par product.

JEA
06-30-2006, 10:53 AM
Where did this notion that the old regime continually blamed the fans come from? I think it originated from one news story in which Lindner said that it would be hard to raise payroll unless attendance went up. How that was spun into "The Reds Blame the Fans" and continually perpetuated is something I'll never understand.

I'm not giving the old ownership a free pass (because getting new ownership is the best thing that could have happened to the team), but it amazes me how people cling to this notion. Does anyone have a link to the definitive story in which management blames the fans? I'd like to see what the context was.

I just really hope that new ownership doesn't come to the same conclusion the old ownership did: not even winning baseball in Cincinnati will affect attendance that much. The fact that the Reds are ranked 22nd in attendance while on pace to make the playoffs boggles my mind.

Chip R
06-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Where did this notion that the old regime continually blamed the fans come from? I think it originated from one news story in which Lindner said that it would be hard to raise payroll unless attendance went up. How that was spun into "The Reds Blame the Fans" and continually perpetuated is something I'll never understand.

I'm not giving the old ownership a free pass (because getting new ownership is the best thing that could have happened to the team), but it amazes me how people cling to this notion. Does anyone have a link to the definitive story in which management blames the fans? I'd like to see what the context was.

Redread could probably give you chapter and verse. And we're mainly talking about John Allen rather than Carl Lindner.

TeamBoone
06-30-2006, 11:51 AM
Where did this notion that the old regime continually blamed the fans come from?

You're kidding, right?

John Allen dwelled on this CONSTANTLY! There are numerous threads about it on this board.

JEA
06-30-2006, 12:26 PM
You're kidding, right?

John Allen dwelled on this CONSTANTLY! There are numerous threads about it on this board.

Uh nope, not kidding.

I found numerous threads were posters were dwelling on it, but I can't find any old stories where Lindner or Allen were the ones dwelling on it or complaining about it.

I'm just wondering where it all originated since, as you mentioned, there are numerous threads. I see the smoke but can't find the fire.

I just want to be able to have a source for where they were speaking out against the fans. I'd like to write a letter to the editor or something in favor of what the new ownership has done, but I can't find any sources for the complaints about the fans from the old ownership.

Any help from anyone would be appreciated.

Chip R
06-30-2006, 12:41 PM

PM Redread. I'll bet he'll be able to help you there.

gonelong
06-30-2006, 12:48 PM
Uh nope, not kidding.

You might find something from a search at the enquier or post.

2 things stand out to me (paraphased as best as I can recall)

1) Allen calling one of our draft picks a waste of money and then the Reds having subsequent drafts that became all about signability.

2) Allen was asked if the Reds would add a player or two if they were in contention. He groused about attendance saying the fans had to show up first if they expected the Reds to be able to add any players.

GL

TeamBoone
06-30-2006, 12:56 PM
I found numerous threads were posters were dwelling on it, but I can't find any old stories where Lindner or Allen were the ones dwelling on it or complaining about it.

There were numerous articles at the time and every time he was interviewed on the local news, he brought it up. That's why posters on the board were complaining about it so much.