06-29-2006, 03:15 AM
Now let's do it!

Johnny Vander m
06-29-2006, 03:19 AM
Hey Sava, can you pitch a couple innings in relieve every other night?:D

savafan
06-29-2006, 03:20 AM
Hey Sava, can you pitch a couple innings in relieve every other night?:D

Hey, I'm the guy who gave up two homeruns to a girl in the same game, remember. I don't think the Reds want me coming out of the bullpen.

Johnny Vander m
06-29-2006, 03:23 AM
But I voted for you for the All Star game. Don't let us down now, we need you. OBTW, bring the girl along.

savafan
06-29-2006, 03:24 AM
OBTW, bring the girl along.

She'd probably help out more than I could

KronoRed
06-29-2006, 03:37 AM
No more Miltons please ;)

redsmetz
06-29-2006, 05:56 AM
No more Miltons please ;)

Reminds of that home improvement commercial, "There will be no Melvins on your job!".

We were thinking they needed to sign the guy who chucked the KC home run ball from right center to near the infield on Tuesday night.

registerthis
06-29-2006, 09:19 AM
We were thinking they needed to sign the guy who chucked the KC home run ball from right center to near the infield on Tuesday night.

A fan did that?

That's quite a toss.

redsmetz
06-29-2006, 09:20 AM
A fan did that?

That's quite a toss.

Yeah, we were all hollering, "Put 'em in the bullpen!"

TeamBoone
06-29-2006, 01:19 PM
06-29-2006

Castellini stands willing to deal
By Marc Lancaster / Post staff reporter

At his introductory press conference Jan. 20, Bob Castellini pledged to open up his wallet for any in-season deals that might be necessary to help the Reds push toward the playoffs.

As the Reds head toward July with one of the best records in the National League, it's increasingly likely that marker will be called in.

"We made that commitment early on, if we were contenders," Castellini said Wednesday. "It sure looks like we're contenders."

The non-waiver trade deadline is just over a month away, July 31, and swapping season will be heating up soon. Whether any help is available remains to be seen, but general manager Wayne Krivsky is on the lookout - with Castellini's encouragement.

"We know we have to improve the team in certain areas, and we're constantly searching for ways to do that," said Castellini.

Neither the CEO nor the GM would get into specifics about what they were looking for, but the Reds' deficiencies are hardly a secret. The bullpen is No. 1 with a bullet, and starting rotation help is always welcome.

Not that the Reds are alone in those needs, of course.

"There's so many teams right now looking for the same thing, it probably makes it even harder," said Krivsky. "So many teams, their bullpens are beat up or they want to upgrade in their rotation somewhere."

Nonetheless, Krivsky is on the phone. It's a "daily thing," he said Wednesday. Talks won't really begin to heat up for a couple more weeks, but the Reds figure to be in the midst of more discussions than they have been in recent years - due both to their heady status as contenders and Krivsky's more aggressive approach.

The Reds don't have many prospects to trade, but they will be able to take on salary if necessary. They already have, actually, with some of the moves they have made this year.

The decisions to rid themselves of Dave Williams, Tony Womack and Rick White required extra expenditures, but they were made for a reason.

"The only goal in mind was to make the major league team better with whoever that person was replaced with," said Krivsky.

If Krivsky can unearth another player or two toward that end in the coming weeks, ownership will be behind him.

Castellini sounds like a man hungry for more.

"We're a game and a half out," said the CEO. "That's pretty good for a team that was picked last by everybody. That's pretty darn good. We're proud of it."

http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060629/SPT05/606290315/1027

Matt700wlw
06-29-2006, 03:02 PM
Sounds good to me!

It's good to know that Castellini got the phones turned back on because it sure seemed like they were never working under the old regime... :evil:

RFS62
06-29-2006, 03:11 PM
Watching him last night as he talked to Grande, Krivsky seemed so natural, so lifelike, unlike his predecessor who I was always convinced was a Disney Animatronic.

DanO was often said to be playing his cards close to his vest when he spoke in corporate gobbledegook. I believe that was a subterfuge for the fact that he didn't have a freakin' clue, and didn't want to tip us off to that sad fact.

Krivsky is a breath of fresh air.

Falls City Beer
06-29-2006, 03:57 PM
The jury's still out on Krivsky, IMO. But Cast rules. I'm convinced. I'm sold.

I really believe he's putting the kinder, gentler thumbscrews to Krivsky to produce a winner, and fast.

That's a great relationship: aggressive, demanding boss and a competent go-to man.

redsfanmia
06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
Talk is cheap so I will believe it when I see it.

RFS62
06-29-2006, 04:29 PM
That's a great relationship: aggressive, demanding boss and a competent go-to man.

I swear, that's exactly what I think we've got.

OldXOhio
06-29-2006, 04:45 PM
Talk is cheap so I will believe it when I see it.

The "talk" has brought in the likes of Arroyo, Phillips and Ross. The "talk" signed Dunn to a multi-year deal. The "talk" has already moved this franchise up a notch from the depths we were in just a few short months ago.

I'll gladly buy the "talk" and believe it.

vaticanplum
06-29-2006, 05:15 PM
I really believe he's putting the kinder, gentler thumbscrews to Krivsky to produce a winner, and fast.

That is exactly what I have thought since the beginning. It seems like a very good personality match and I hope that Narron fits in well too. he seems to.

I have been having a very lengthy debate with my friend the Red Sox fan (I knew him before hatred overtook my soul, unfortunately) about the growing disparity between the National and American Leagues. He actually brings up some good points that I hesitate to mention here, but they're worth considering in light of our own new front office. I'm paraphrasing, but...

He believes that the great unspeakable reason that the NL has fallen behind, particularly offensively, is because of the stubbornness, pride, and traditionalism of a lot of NL managers and gms. That there is an inherent belief that the NL plays baseball the "right, pure way" and refuses to adjust to the reality that is the DH. And he throws a lot of that responsibility back to the GMs, who pay attention to the "real" aspects of the game, pitching and defense, while letting the offense lapse. Managers and GMs need job security like everybody else, and if they come out on top of their division and make it to the playoffs their jobs are secure regardless of the actual quality of the team they've put together or their results in postseason play. He points to the fact that the AL has won several recent all-star games, 6 of the last 8 World Series, and one hundred million interleague games over the last several years. This despite the NL having eight of the top twelve payrolls in baseball. Interleague play isn't "real" baseball anyway, traditionalists say, but the results count and the results are hard to ignore.

Obviously, this doesn't hold true across the board. I think the Dodgers are a fine organization, and we only need look to our last GM who was as traditional and stubborn as anyone I can think of, yet managed to put together a scarily good offense that won jack. But I think that, for all of the questions I've posed to him about farm systems, organizational philosophies, etc., he really may have a point on this one.

I bring this up because Krivsky is an admitted "pitching and defense" guy, which in paper is exactly the kind of person my friend is talking about. But. The thing that I really like about this pairing is that I don't think Castellini will stand for any of that stubborn traditionalist crap. Pitching and defense are not only inherently good things for any baseball team to have but also happen to be the two things that this particular baseball team needs most at this time. So that's good. But if Krivsky turns out to be stubborn-minded, I don't think Castellini will stand for it. He strikes me as having more than a touch of Steinbrenner about him where winning is concerned, with just a touch more patience and without all the crazy. And I do not think this is a bad thing, especially not with a manager who seems hesitant (though not dumb) and a GM who seems decisive and knowledgable but rather even-tempered.

The smart baseball guy and the result-centric owner. I like it.

What do you guys think of all that? I've gotten a ton of work done this week, obviously.

cincyinco
06-29-2006, 06:12 PM
Hey, I'm the guy who gave up two homeruns to a girl in the same game, remember. I don't think the Reds want me coming out of the bullpen.

C'mon, time to bring back out the Dominator! :) We need ya!

redsfanmia
06-29-2006, 06:20 PM
The "talk" has brought in the likes of Arroyo, Phillips and Ross. The "talk" signed Dunn to a multi-year deal. The "talk" has already moved this franchise up a notch from the depths we were in just a few short months ago.

I'll gladly buy the "talk" and believe it.
The "talk" hasnt raised the payroll at all, and Uncle Carl always said the same things this time of year. I love what Castellini has done and love the direction of the team I just will believe they will take on payroll to improve the team when I see it. Im from Missouri so you have to show me.