PDA

View Full Version : Does This Bullpen Look Better?

roby
06-30-2006, 12:12 AM
Now, I know that it is not great (or even good), but it looks better to me than what the Reds are running out there right now. Also, Kriv could make a trade or two and shore it up more...

Coffey
Belisle
Shackelford (loogy only!)
Shafer
Standridge
Wagner

I'm sure there are some other possibilities. What do you all think???

TOBTTReds
06-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Wagner throws batting practice. He shouldn't smell the majors for a while. Otherwise I like it. Shafer just came off the DL and probably needs a couple more appearances to get his rythm back.

TeamBoone
06-30-2006, 12:18 AM
Not much, maybe, I don't know!

Razor Shines
06-30-2006, 01:06 AM
Almost anything would look better than those we don't speak of.

TeamSelig
06-30-2006, 02:06 AM
Wagner has to be hurt. This kid has never been a bad pitcher. There is something going on that he isn't letting anyone know about (IMO of course)

Guacarock
06-30-2006, 03:52 AM
Wagner has to be hurt. This kid has never been a bad pitcher. There is something going on that he isn't letting anyone know about (IMO of course)

I doubt Wagner is physically hurt. But I have no doubt he suffered a psychological blow when he pitched a 2.17 ERA this spring, and still didn't make the cut to return to the Show.

In defense of management, Wagner was prematurely brought up as a reliever. His pitching stats weren't improving, but regressing. He didn't seem to be adjusting. Like a lot of kids, he was partying when he should have been paying attention and making more of an effort to get smart about harnessing his natural talent.

That said, management made a serious miscalculation by applying the tough love treatment to Wagner, at the same time rudely jettisoning Hancock.

That's OK to do if you've got acceptable alternatives in the fold. But our acceptable alternatives turned out to be White and Burns, with Hammond and Weathers guarding their flanks.

Even discounting the advantage of hindsight, any astute observer of the game ought to have foreseen the risks of that strategy. We relied much too heavily on giving guaranteed contracts to declining vets, limiting our flexibility to call up deserving "prospects" from our minor league system, be it Burns or Wagner, Standridge or Shafer.

Even in their prime, Weathers, Hammond, White and Mercker never could and never should have been mistaken for the Nasty Boys. They're nasty, all right, but at this stage of the game, closer to nasty, grizzled, soft-tossing, injury-prone vets. Time to bring on the Boys, and the fresh debate of which Boys should get the nod.

We're not losing as many games as the experts projected we would, but it's not exactly like the bullpen is our Rock of Gibraltar. More like our slippery slope.

reds44
06-30-2006, 04:03 AM
Take out Wagner and yes.

KronoRed
06-30-2006, 05:11 AM
Anything is better, it can't be worse

Can it? ;)

TeamBoone
06-30-2006, 11:29 AM

He was a bad pitcher last year too. He started out lights out, but it didn't last lone.. a month maybe?

TeamSelig
06-30-2006, 02:28 PM
Yeah, but didn't he say something about being hurt & not saying anything? I think he said that this past spring when he was pitching good again

Falls City Beer
06-30-2006, 02:31 PM
Standridge, Wagner, and really Shackelford have no business being on a MLB roster.

CrackerJack
06-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Any moderate or potential upgrades to Hammond, Weathers, Mercker and Yan would be welcomed by all Reds fans who are utterly tired of the way this BP is keeping this team out of 1st place right now.

The loud boo'ing by the home fans during games is an obvious sign of the frustration felt.

Just replacing one or two of those guys would make a world of difference.

But of course, Jerry (aka deep throat) apparently thinks they'll pitch "better." Well, duh, they can't pitch any worse!