PDA

View Full Version : Shocking No Respect on ESPN

reds44
06-30-2006, 12:34 AM
On BBTN they asked Brantley and Orestes Destrades (sp?) who can catch the Cards.

JB: Astros
OD: Brewers

Not even a word was said about the Reds.

TOBTTReds
06-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Is coming from 1 game back really catching?;)

Anyone who says Astro's is nuts in my opinion. Call me when they score a run. I think the Brewers can. I don't think the Reds can unless we deal to get some bullpen. I don't blame them at all for not mentioning us. If we pass them for good, it is because they fell behind us in the standings, or we dealt to get some pen.

Reds/Flyers Fan
06-30-2006, 12:39 AM
On BBTN they asked Brantley and Orestes Destrades (sp?) who can catch the Cards.

Saw that. Brantley even admitted the Astros don't look as if they care when they step on the field yet he still picked them. Now enough about the NL Central, let's get back to important matters - the Yankees and Red Sox.

E-SPiN is beyond pathetic.

NastyBoy
06-30-2006, 01:09 AM
Playing .500 ball and gaining ground on the Cards during an 8 game losing streak does not qualify as "catching".

reds44
06-30-2006, 01:14 AM
Playing .500 ball and gaining ground on the Cards during an 8 game losing streak does not qualify as "catching".
Really?

Going from 5.5 back to 1 back in less then 2 weeks isn't catching?

Our last 10 games we are 6-4.

06-30-2006, 01:23 AM
I think is either the Reds or the Brewers- whichever team can shore up the bullpen.

KronoRed
06-30-2006, 01:25 AM
Maybe they looked at the bullpen ;)

NastyBoy
06-30-2006, 01:31 AM
Really?

Going from 5.5 back to 1 back in less then 2 weeks isn't catching?

Our last 10 games we are 6-4.

Cards did not play today.

reds44
06-30-2006, 01:32 AM
Cards did not play today.
Yeah..................:confused:

NastyBoy
06-30-2006, 01:39 AM
Cards going 2-8 previous 10 games and the Reds going 5-5 as of June 28 is what I am refering to. If the Reds would have gone 6-4 in the same period they would be tied for first place.

TOBTTReds
06-30-2006, 01:41 AM
Maybe they looked at the bullpen ;)

Then they wouldn't mention the Brews, theirs is worse somehow.

TeamSelig
06-30-2006, 01:46 AM
Astros can't compete without another big bat in their lineup. I hope the Reds pay attention to the no respect and thrive off it. Narron needs to use this to light a fire under the team.. maybe get a little adrenaline going (he might be doing that already I dont know)... just an idea

Jr's Boy
06-30-2006, 01:59 AM
We don't need these stinkin broadcasters giving the team any credit,i'd rather them eat their words and show what morons they really are.A couple arms in the pen if available and the Reds will be serious contenders.It's frustrating to see Arroyo pitch a good game and have the bullpen blow the win for him.

Benny-Distefano
06-30-2006, 09:01 AM
What is it about "small market" do we not understand here? ???

RedFanAlways1966
06-30-2006, 09:05 AM
Speaking of ESPN... Boston vs. NY Mets last night on ESPN. The night before the two teams were on ESPN2. One game on... no problem. Two nights in a row, IN JUNE, is a disgusting love-affair.

:bang:

reds1869
06-30-2006, 09:06 AM
What is it about "small market" do we not understand here? ???

Houston and Milwaukee aren't exactly Tokyo.

dabvu2498
06-30-2006, 09:07 AM
Speaking of ESPN... Boston vs. NY Mets last night on ESPN. The night before the two teams were on ESPN2. One game on... no problem. Two nights in a row, IN JUNE, is a disgusting love-affair.

I don't blame ESPN for showing whatever game they want to show. I blame the viewers for making it so that ESPN would want to do this.

Two nights in a row also means they only have to pay one crew to do the games.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-30-2006, 09:28 AM
The lack of respect shown to my beloved Reds is eerily similar to the lack of respect shown to my beloved football Buckeyes throughout the 2002 season.

Hmmmm.

max venable
06-30-2006, 09:31 AM
The lack of respect shown to my beloved Reds is eerily similar to the lack of respect shown to my beloved football Buckeyes throughout the 2002 season.

Hmmmm.
Yeah...maybe the Reds will get "lucky" like the Bucks did and win the W.S. :D

CySeymour
06-30-2006, 09:32 AM

Someone brought this up to Rob Neyer in a chat a few weeks ago....he stated that ESPN doesn't pick the games...MLB does.

RedFanAlways1966
06-30-2006, 09:40 AM
Someone brought this up to Rob Neyer in a chat a few weeks ago....he stated that ESPN doesn't pick the games...MLB does.

Thanks for the info., BigKlu. Imagine that... decisions made by the same clowns who allow the afore-mentioned teams to spend lots-and-lots-and-lots more money than the teams that we never see on their channel... and allow the others to pocket revenue sharing dough. Decisions made by the same clowns who "had no clue that there was a steroid issue in MLB".

TeamBoone
06-30-2006, 11:46 AM

The Reds had an 8-game losing streak earlier too. If you can win while the competition is losing, why does that not qualify?

It's the same as cashing in on a team's fielding errors or a pitcher's mistake during a game. You take advantage when you have the opportunity. Just like the Cards did when the Reds were losing.

vaticanplum
06-30-2006, 11:52 AM
I still think people are underestimating the Astros. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the division at this point.

Heath
06-30-2006, 11:57 AM
The bad bullpen is a story. Bronson Arroyo is a story. Brandon Phillips is a story. WayneK is a story.

The Reds in August in first place???? well, then ESPN can jabber all they want on us.

Heath
06-30-2006, 11:59 AM
I still think people are underestimating the Astros. I wouldn't be surprised to see them win the division at this point.

They can't hit. Even in that ball park. They have a bunch of Punch and Judy hitters and Jason Lane & Morgan Ensberg regressed.

Unless they start winning 1-0 games, I don't see the Astros really doing well.

vaticanplum
06-30-2006, 12:13 PM
They can't hit. Even in that ball park. They have a bunch of Punch and Judy hitters and Jason Lane & Morgan Ensberg regressed.

Unless they start winning 1-0 games, I don't see the Astros really doing well.

I think it's relative. The A's can't hit either, and they may well walk away with their division title. The big-hitting teams right now are almost uniformly in the AL. Houston as a team is batting .258; the highest batting average in the division is the Cards with .278 and the Reds are at .260. Now of course that doesn't count as much as RS, with the Reds leading the division far and away with 394 (Houston has 360), but I think it's a common Astros misconception that they simply can't hit when compared to the rest of the division.

Now their pitching, I think, is OVERestimated. I do not trust Pettitte, Buchholz or even Clemens completely at this point, not to mention the Lidge problem. Nevertheless, every time I see them play they look agitated (I mean that in a good way), and if the Cards don't pull their pitching staff together and the Reds fall apart, I think they have a real shot. Even without trading for one or two good bats at the deadline, which they very well could do.

It's more a feeling of mine than anything else...I hope I'm proven wrong.

Heath
06-30-2006, 12:25 PM
It's more a feeling of mine than anything else...I hope I'm proven wrong.

Do you get that way when they play that old song? Or when you see your Marianne walking away? :eek:

vaticanplum
06-30-2006, 12:56 PM
Do you get that way when they play that old song? Or when you see your Marianne walking away? :eek:

:lol:

registerthis
06-30-2006, 01:05 PM
Houston and Milwaukee aren't exactly Tokyo.

Houston's huge. 4th largest city in America.

Milwaukee is pretty close to Cincinnati.

Tommyjohn25
06-30-2006, 11:59 PM
Well, the all knowing and all powerful BBTN crew better check their stats, because someone just caught the Cards. It wasn't the Astros, nor was it the Beermakers....it was some other team, maybe some of you here have heard of them, I'll give you a hint...look at the top of your computer screen in the upper left corner, in between the baseball glove and the baseball jersey.

Razor Shines
07-01-2006, 12:28 AM
BBTN: The biggest story in baseball in Ohio: "Well the Reds are over achieving, but the bigger story is the Indians are under achieving." Then mention at the end that the Reds are tied for first.

Hey my 100th post. I don't feel like a different person, but I did rip off the "F4" key and hold it over my head. There are so many people I'd like to thank....

ryanparkersongs
07-01-2006, 12:29 AM
It is ridiculous...I just heard Orestes Destrade utter the same line...the Reds get absolutely ZERO respect.

reds44
07-01-2006, 12:31 AM
"The Reds have one superstar in KGJ."

Well if that is the truth what does that say about our team considering he has been the 4th or 5th best player for us this year?

Phhhl
07-01-2006, 12:32 AM
The Reds have already caught the Cards.

OSUredsFAN
07-01-2006, 12:44 AM
"The Reds have one superstar in KGJ."

Well if that is the truth what does that say about our team considering he has been the 4th or 5th best player for us this year?

WOW, nice statement considering he is 2nd in RBI on the club and he's missed almost a month of action. I agree, superstar=KGJ: good, solid players=Dunn, Arroyo.

KronoRed
07-01-2006, 12:51 AM
What did the F4 key do? :D

VR
07-01-2006, 12:58 AM

It makes complete sense that ESPN would continually have the Sox, Yanks, Mets, on the tube. How would owners of "no exposure" teams put up with MLB if they were continually favoring the big clubs....beyond unfair as far as building a fan base nationally. I can't imagine revenue sharing on the TV deal would cause owners to allow that.

acredsfan
07-01-2006, 01:04 AM
It continually amazes me that last year the same people who are saying we are over achieving were saying that we were a largely improved team that could compete in the division a year ago. Has it occured to them that maybe we under achieved a little bit last year and that we improved greatly this year? No, that would be too boring to say, hey maybe this Reds team is good and may be able to hang in the race all season. They'd honestly rather see the Cards or Astros win the division because of their supposed star power. Welcome to the real world, where teams are labelled at the beginning and the media will try its best to keep things that way until the very end.

Razor Shines
07-01-2006, 01:08 AM
What did the F4 key do? :D
Nothing but I taped it to the wall on a 3x5 card and wrote 100th post on it, like I'm sure Ricky Henderson has done with something similar with his 3rd base bag. Although Ricky may not remember what it was for.

GAC
07-01-2006, 08:24 AM
Watched Sports Center this morning. I thought they gave the game pretty good highlight coverage. Even played Marty's call from WLW on the Dunn walk-off GS.

I really don't know what some expect?

dman
07-01-2006, 09:05 AM
When ESpin showed the game update after Dunn's GS, I heard Brantley make the comment "something special is going on down there in Cincinnati". Which one is it for these guys? Are we a special team to be taken seriously or an underachieving team?

MaineRed
07-01-2006, 09:24 AM
These guys? They all have to have the same opinion?

To be honest, I don't watch a lot of Baseball Tonight but when I do, they often stop and talk about the Reds. Some of them dismiss what they are doing, others often say that they have a good shot to stay in the race. John Kruk said so right from the beginning.

No doubt there are some idiots at ESPN but its not as if there aren't some over there who totally respect the Reds, moreso than some Red fans I might add.

Anyone listen to ESPN radio? I forget the guys name but he does the overnight show and he is actually a Reds fan and he has no problem making that public knowledge. He talks about the Reds as a fan and he host a show on ESPN radio. You don't get that from Dan Patrick or anyone else.

I cringe when I see these, No Respect From ESPN threads. ESPN is not one person, it is a large collection differing minds. Some, just like here, think the Reds are going to fall apart. Others think with their line-up and Harrang and Arroyo and the Cards not tearing it up that the Reds can hang in there.

It just seems that we demand more respect towards the Reds from ESPN than we do our own fans. ESPN, as a whole is supposed to respect the Reds when the fans are practically booing the team off the field in the 8th inning of a game they won (Thursday against KC)?

Come on.

fielder's choice
07-01-2006, 10:21 AM
These guys? They all have to have the same opinion?

To be honest, I don't watch a lot of Baseball Tonight but when I do, they often stop and talk about the Reds. Some of them dismiss what they are doing, others often say that they have a good shot to stay in the race. John Kruk said so right from the beginning.

No doubt there are some idiots at ESPN but its not as if there aren't some over there who totally respect the Reds, moreso than some Red fans I might add.

Anyone listen to ESPN radio? I forget the guys name but he does the overnight show and he is actually a Reds fan and he has no problem making that public knowledge. He talks about the Reds as a fan and he host a show on ESPN radio. You don't get that from Dan Patrick or anyone else.

I cringe when I see these, No Respect From ESPN threads. ESPN is not one person, it is a large collection differing minds. Some, just like here, think the Reds are going to fall apart. Others think with their line-up and Harrang and Arroyo and the Cards not tearing it up that the Reds can hang in there.

It just seems that we demand more respect towards the Reds from ESPN than we do our own fans. ESPN, as a whole is supposed to respect the Reds when the fans are practically booing the team off the field in the 8th inning of a game they won (Thursday against KC)?

Come on.

They weren't booing the team, they were booing David Weathers.

RFS62
07-01-2006, 10:22 AM
ESPN has no respect for the Reds?

No problem.

I've got no respect for ESPN.

They've followed MTV's model perfectly. Mindless blather, 24/7

MaineRed
07-01-2006, 10:27 AM
They weren't booing the team, they were booing David Weathers.

And Chris Hammond. And the rest of the bullpen minus Coffey.

So roughtly 25% of the TEAM. Regardless of who it was directed at, it was pretty vocal and I imagine somewhat embarassing for every Red who was on the field. I'm not saying in any way it wasn't warranted by the way.

MaineRed
07-01-2006, 10:35 AM
I agree RFS62. My ESPN time is usually spent watching ESPNEWS as that is all it is, news. There is not much Stephen A, Dickie V, Chris Berman, etc, etc there.

But no matter what ESPN is or becomes, there are always going to be differing opinions from their baseball experts about teams built like the Reds.

I just don't get the complaint that, "ESPN" doesn't respect the Reds. Who is ESPN? There are people over there who respect the Reds. So is it, the majority at ESPN don't respect us? Is it Mickey Mouse doesn't respect us? I don't get who ESPN is? Based on threads like this one, the people over there who do respect the Reds obviously don't count as "ESPN".

By the way, turn on ESPNEWS and see what the top story is this morning.

Apparently the producer working this morning has some respect for the Reds.

Tony Cloninger
07-01-2006, 10:38 AM
They were saying Boo-urns....Boo-urns..... Montgomery Burns must have been in the house. ESPN should have caught that with all it's fancy cameras.

Someone is going to have to come along and create a Baseball Network...like NFL network.

I mean if they can have year roun coverage of football....baseball can surely be had as well. You have way more games...history....plus the winter leauges to show.

Tommyjohn25
07-01-2006, 10:49 AM
They were saying Boo-urns....Boo-urns..... Montgomery Burns must have been in the house. ESPN should have caught that with all it's fancy cameras.

Someone is going to have to come along and create a Baseball Network...like NFL network.

I mean if they can have year roun coverage of football....baseball can surely be had as well. You have way more games...history....plus the winter leauges to show.

I've been wanting this for a few years now. Man, how sweet would that be?

WMR
07-01-2006, 11:01 AM
If only MLB's commissioner wasn't a bumbling idiot.

BuckWoody
07-01-2006, 01:05 PM
Great idea...

If only MLB's commissioner wasn't a bumbling idiot.
...and the exact reason why it won't happen soon.

KoryMac5
07-01-2006, 04:16 PM
The question is not whether the Reds get enough respect from ESPN but whether they get enough coverage from ESPN or not. To me a first place record in the Central warrants more attention to the Reds. That being said the talking heads on ESPN usually cover what they think the public wants to hear not what should be covered. The bigger the market the bigger the ratings. Sad but true.

KronoRed
07-01-2006, 04:21 PM
I Tivod the 2am sportscenter and the Reds were the first story..for what it's worth :D

GAC
07-01-2006, 05:45 PM
ESPN has no respect for the Reds?

No problem.

I've got no respect for ESPN.

They've followed MTV's model perfectly. Mindless blather, 24/7

Pretty much agree; but in the early morning hours there's no other source on the TV to get scores while I'm on the computer. I'll turn it on, ignore 99% of it, and then when it gets to what I want to hear, I listen and then turn it off.

Matt700wlw
07-01-2006, 05:46 PM

They've already caught them :D

NastyBoy
07-06-2006, 01:13 AM
8-17 the last 25 games and building steam.

Ofcourse, by the time the reds catch the cards, the Brewers and Astros will have passed both.