PDA

View Full Version : Lou Pinella

Benihana
06-30-2006, 10:41 AM
I work on the floor of the Chicago Board Options Exchange (CBOE) and Lou Pinella was just hanging out in my pit, taking a tour of the floor and learning about how we trade. Brought back some great memories of that beloved 1990 team. He was very friendly and received a very warm reception on the floor, with all of the traders calling out LOUUUUUUUUU as he walked by. I thought it was interesting that he got that warm of a welcome here in Chicago, where he only managed rival teams. Doesn't have much to do with anything, but I just thought I would share.

redsmetz
06-30-2006, 10:47 AM
Hmmm, Lou in Chicago? Maybe Dusty's days are numbered or Ozzie's getting ready to insert his foot into his mouth again.

Chip R
06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
Hmmm, Lou in Chicago? Maybe Dusty's days are numbered or Ozzie's getting ready to insert his foot into his mouth again.

I was listening to Chicago sports radio on Monday and they were hoping that Lou would be hired to take over the Chubs.

RFS62
06-30-2006, 10:54 AM
I was listening to Chicago sports radio on Monday and they were hoping that Lou would be hired to take over the Chubs.

Damn, I hope not. I don't want to have to hate Lou.

OldXOhio
06-30-2006, 12:32 PM
What do you do on the floor that allows you time to post?

Strikes Out Looking
06-30-2006, 01:22 PM
It would be quite a shame if Lou managed the Cubs and the Reds were stuck with Narron.

Benihana
06-30-2006, 01:49 PM
What do you do on the floor that allows you time to post?

I'm an options trader, and on slow days like today (because of the holiday) there is more spare time than you would think.

OldXOhio
06-30-2006, 02:22 PM
Slow is right. I work the NYMEX and about fell asleep today.

Matt700wlw
06-30-2006, 03:09 PM

I see nothing wrong with the job Dusty Baker has done :evil:

Chip R
06-30-2006, 03:11 PM

Uhhhhh.... neither do I. I think they ought to sign him to an extention. :D

vaticanplum
06-30-2006, 04:06 PM
Oh God no, I don't want my childhood memories tainted...on the other hand, having Guillen and Piniella in the same city could be terrific fun.

Phil in BG
06-30-2006, 04:33 PM

Agreed, Dusty needs to stay. :D

Chip R
06-30-2006, 04:58 PM
I think we can get fans from all the other NL Central teams plus Sox fans to chip in to pay for Big Dust's new deal.

GAC
06-30-2006, 05:55 PM
If Lou was our manager, this forum would tear him apart just like some have with every other manager. Especially Lou's handling of pitchers.

And Lou isn't "old school"?

God couldn't create a manager to appease the crowd on Redszone! :lol:

RBA
06-30-2006, 08:20 PM
I think we can get fans from all the other NL Central teams plus Sox fans to chip in to pay for Big Dust's new deal.

Or have them write letters to the Chicago papers and call Chicag radio stations saying what a great job Dusty is doing.

Outshined_One
06-30-2006, 08:44 PM
Lou's in town because he's calling the Cubs/White Sox game for Fox tomorrow. Some people tried to make a big deal about it because he was hanging around Wrigley during the game today, but it was essentially fruitless.

The media is pushing for Bob Brenly or Uncle Lou to take over for DFB whenever the Cubs decide to let him go. This is naturally rubbing off on a number of the Cub fans, so it kind of figures he'd get that kind of reception in Chicago.

I find it rather amusing, considering most fans want the younger players to get more time and development in the majors and the pitchers not to be trotted out for 120+ pitch outings every day.

KronoRed
06-30-2006, 10:48 PM
I don't think Lou would want to take over the cubs, I think he wants another championship, not the blame the goat squad

gm
06-30-2006, 11:05 PM
God couldn't create a manager to appease the crowd on Redszone! :lol:

Everybody seems to love Davey Johnson, but that's only because he hasn't written a lineup card in 10+ years

cincyinco
07-01-2006, 02:29 AM
Everybody seems to love Davey Johnson, but that's only because he hasn't written a lineup card in 10+ years

Davey Johson has never had a team finish worse than 2nd in their respective division... I'd say he knows what he's doing.

GAC
07-01-2006, 06:24 AM
Davey Johson has never had a team finish worse than 2nd in their respective division... I'd say he knows what he's doing.

He also had the talent. Ya gotta have the talent.

Just ask Lou while he was the TB manager. ;)

You'll never get Johnson off his fishing boat!

Team Clark
07-01-2006, 02:54 PM
Lou can't manage this year anyway so it's just hooplah. Love me some Lou.

Hubba
07-01-2006, 03:10 PM
If Lou was our manager, this forum would tear him apart just like some have with every other manager. Especially Lou's handling of pitchers.

And Lou isn't "old school"?

God couldn't create a manager to appease the crowd on Redszone! :lol:Amen bro. I remember when they were begging for Dusty to manage the Reds and Joe morgan was God.:)

KronoRed
07-01-2006, 04:05 PM
I want Larry Dierker to manage

But just cause Raisor said so ;)

GAC
07-03-2006, 06:26 AM
I want Larry Dierker to manage

But just cause Raisor said so ;)

Raisor is Larry's love child :evil:

gm
07-03-2006, 01:06 PM

I didn't mean to say that DJ didn't know what he was doing. It's just that he hasn't a body of work for fans to "pick at" since '95. (Armchair Mgrs can't find fault with his lineups if he hasn't written one lately, etc)

macro
07-06-2006, 08:06 AM
Is Lou Pinella overrated? I think he is. Tim Kurkjian said something this morning on ESPN Radio about Lou wanting to have a Hall of Fame managerial career, but I just don't see it at all.

When you examine his record, he has won more than 91 games in a season only twice in his career! He has won more than 93 games in a season only once!

Yes, he has the 116-win season in Seattle and the World Championship here, but only four first-place finishes in 19 seasons of managing. I know some will say that he's had some teams that were short on talent, but that argument can only go so far.

I'll always have fond memories of 1990, but I don't see how that's going to translate into W's in the future. Can someone make the case for Lou being an elite manager? I'm open to having my mind changed.