PDA

View Full Version : Report: Angels To DFA Weaver

savafan
06-30-2006, 04:05 PM
http://dodgerthoughts.baseballtoaster.com/archives/419339.html

by Jon Weisman

A pitcher having about as bad a season as Odalis Perez is about to be made available. You might have heard of him. From Mark Saxon of the Register:

The team plans to bring up rookie pitcher Jered Weaver from Triple-A Salt Lake after a two-week demotion and to designate his brother, Jeff, for assignment - a move likely to take place today.

The Angels still could get some talent in return for Jeff Weaver, but they are resigned to swallowing the remaining $4 million they owe him. The Angels would have 10 days to trade the elder Weaver.

Several teams are desperate enough for pitching that they will make a run at trading for him, especially since it is likely to cost them only about $150,000.

Jered Weaver likely will pitch Monday or Tuesday in Seattle. The Angels tried to trade his older brother for weeks but found no teams willing to pay a pitcher with a 3-10 record and 6.29 ERA that much money. The story will be different if the Angels pay his salary. They might at least get a prospect in the deal.

(I should caution that the report has no on-the-record source.)

Thoughts:

1) Doesn't this have sort of an East of Eden quality to it? Or am I stretching? Which actor plays Jeff Weaver in the remake?

2) Weaver had two problems pitching for the Dodgers last year that no longer exist. The first was Jim Tracy, who would leave Weaver in too long and not back him up soon enough with the bullpen. (Little, for all his Pedro reputation and all the struggles of the Dodger bullpen, is mostly aggressive with pulling a starter.) The second was Weaver and agent Scott Boras' expectation that Weaver deserved a rich, multiyear contract.

3) An Aaron Sele-like no-harm flyer on Weaver would be a good experiment. It would be worth a shot to see if Weaver can return to the level he showed with the Dodgers at his best, at the risk of finding out he will pitch as poorly as Perez has.

4) A Mark Hendrickson-like lose-a-prospect flyer on Weaver is not worth the trouble. I'd rather take the risk of Weaver pitching well elsewhere than the risk of a Dodger farmhand playing well elsewhere. (Obviously, Jason Romano-caliber prospects don't figure into this.)

Here are Dodger general manager Ned Colletti's latest remarks on the future, filtered through Bill Plunkett of the Register:

The performance of players such as (Russell) Martin, (Matt) Kemp, (Andre) Ethier and (Chad) Billingsley in the big leagues this year only has confirmed their value to the Dodgers, Colletti said. Parting with them is something he has become increasingly reluctant to do.

"When I came here, I took the approach that I wanted to have something in place that would enable this organization to be in it every year," Colletti said, echoing a mission statement deposed GM Paul DePodesta also said.

"I'm not prepared to sacrifice that - as I wasn't at the Winter Meetings when teams came to us with trade proposals involving those same players. I'm not inclined to take '07, '08, '09 and delete the opportunity we have to be successful year after year in order to better us for the next three months.

"I'm still walking that balancing act. It's not easy, and a lot of teams don't even try. I'm inclined to give it a try and stay with the young kids."

Joseph
06-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Send them Hammond.

Krusty
06-30-2006, 04:19 PM
Rumor is Weaver could be heading back to the Dodgers.

edabbs44
06-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Take a shot Wayne. He has the potential to be a huge upgrade over Mays. Outbid the Dodgers.

Reds4Life
06-30-2006, 04:33 PM
If you can get him for nothing, do it. At the minimum we could stick him in the bullpen as a long - middle relief guy.

VR
06-30-2006, 04:50 PM
After a horrendous start, he sanwiched 6 QS in before a 2 inning, 6 run flop last time out.

In those 6 starts he went 36.2 innings, giving up 38 hits, 7 walks, 30 k's and a 3.92 earnie. Seems like he was turning it around. Not a bad option if the Reds needed a starter.....but I'd pass and seek out only relievers.

RedLegSuperStar
06-30-2006, 04:59 PM
Send them Hammond.

Ha.. That's what I was thinking. Unless the Reds are taking on that contract.. nevermind then. That would be a above average 5th starter and probably move into our 4th slot and move Milton down. Once Claussen returns have him go to the bullpen and then make a move before the deadline and get another reliever. If LAA eats Weavers contract and the Reds can get him for the minimum then it would be a good move. Because if becomes the 2nd coming of Milton then the Reds can just release him.

oneupper
06-30-2006, 05:02 PM
There are teams more desperate that the REDS for SP. They'll send something to the Angels and/or take on some salary. REDS can't afford to do that...so...it's not gonna happen.

RedLegSuperStar
06-30-2006, 05:10 PM
There are teams more desperate that the REDS for SP. They'll send something to the Angels and/or take on some salary. REDS can't afford to do that...so...it's not gonna happen.

Probably.. I know Cast said he was going to spend money if this team is where it is now near the deadline. I just can't see spending that much for a flyball pitcher. Obviously he isn't afraid to spend the money when it comes to DFA players..

Red Leader
06-30-2006, 05:13 PM
Weaver could be an interesting guy to plug into the rotation and then turn around and deal again prior to the deadline if the Reds fall out of contention.

Having said that, I doubt the Reds can hang with the Dodgers in the bidding.

RedLegSuperStar
06-30-2006, 05:14 PM
The Angels will eat his entire salary to get a decent bat in return.

Just read that on mlbtraderumors.com

They can have LaRue and his contract as well

Krusty
06-30-2006, 05:17 PM
It's the bullpen that needs fix first.

Red Leader
06-30-2006, 05:18 PM
The Angels will eat his entire salary to get a decent bat in return.

Just read that on mlbtraderumors.com

They can have LaRue and his contract as well

Pretty sad that they probably won't even be able to get a decent bat for him, even if they do eat the entire salary.

I can't see giving them Kearns for him, and I'd consider him a decent bat.
I wonder if they'd consider Rich Aurilia a decent bat? Quinton McCracken's got a decent bat, oh yeah!

Falls City Beer
06-30-2006, 05:18 PM
I want no part of another .900+ OPSA pitcher on this club--we've got two already in Milton and Mays. I don't care if he is free.

I'm sick of these Jimbo reclamation experiments. Get a better pitcher than what we've already got or stand pat. This is stupid.

cincinnati chili
06-30-2006, 05:54 PM
If you can get him for nothing, do it. At the minimum we could stick him in the bullpen as a long - middle relief guy.

Absolutely. Good call.

I've said for years on this very board that Weaver's ideal role is a situational reliever spotted against primarily right handed portions of a lineup.

Of course I said the same thing about Arroyo, but he's proved to be capable of more than that.

Spitball
06-30-2006, 06:51 PM
Just last season, Weaver had career highs in wins and strikeouts. His strikout/walk ratio was a nice 157/43. I'd give him a shot. Get him away from those AL line-ups and whatever is afflicting the Angels and he surely would be better than the #11 or 12th man on this staff.

Newman4
06-30-2006, 11:21 PM
mlbtraderumors.com seems to think Myers and Meche are also available:

"Beyond Willis and Smoltz, could any other top-flight starters be had? Purely my own speculation, but St. Louis could also consider attempting to deal for Jason Schmidt, Barry Zito, Gil Meche, or Brett Myers."

"The Phils are 6.5 games out of the wild card, but may try to rid themselves of Myers regardless."

Has done anything despicable other than hit his wife?

edabbs44
06-30-2006, 11:22 PM
mlbtraderumors.com seems to think Myers and Meche are also available:

"Beyond Willis and Smoltz, could any other top-flight starters be had? Purely my own speculation, but St. Louis could also consider attempting to deal for Jason Schmidt, Barry Zito, Gil Meche, or Brett Myers."

"The Phils are 6.5 games out of the wild card, but may try to rid themselves of Myers regardless."

Has done anything despicable other than hit his wife?
For some organizations, that's plenty. Not saying for Philly, but some management structures want to distance themselves as far away from situations as possible.

Newman4
06-30-2006, 11:28 PM
For some organizations, that's plenty. Not saying for Philly, but some management structures want to distance themselves as far away from situations as possible.

Aww, he's 25, throws hard, struck out about a batter an inning last year and has a career 1.55 G/F ratio. Heck, Brett buy her a big diamond like Kobe and apologize and come pitch for the Redlegs. ;)

dougflynn23
07-01-2006, 12:58 AM
:) There will be enough interest in Weaver that the team who gets him will have to make some sort of deal for him. Like Brandon Phillips with the Indians, enough teams will contact ANA in the next 10 days that they will either 1) get somebody to assume at least some of his remaining salary obligation, or 2) get a moderate prospect in exchange.

If I were Krivsky, I'd love to have Jeff Weaver. If he could duplicate 2005, he'd be a great addition. Plus if he leaves after 2006 we get a 1st roung compensatory draft pick if he is offered arbitration.

NatiRedGals
07-01-2006, 10:55 AM
Its officall Los Angeles Angels Recalled pitcher Jered Weaver from Salt Lake of the Pacific Coast League (AAA); designated pitcher Jeff Weaver for assignment.

Jr's Boy
07-01-2006, 11:25 AM
Krivsky needs to try and get Shields or Donnelly from the Halo's.

Kradokk
07-01-2006, 08:00 PM
At this point, he couldnt be worse than Mays. Im usually not interested in trading trash for trash, but being from Fresno, and watching Weaver pitch at Fresno State, I guess I have a bit of a soft spot for him.

That said he did seem to be pitching much better in his last few outings. If the reds can pick him up on the cheap, they might get a pitcher with something to prove, and find a way to turn it around. If he has a great july, and the Reds fall out of the race, dump him for a double-A prospect or two.