PDA

View Full Version : WOW! What a game to be at....

Buckeye33
07-01-2006, 03:27 AM
I was in the house with two of my buddies sitting in the left field bleachers. Of course it was quite the boring game for the first 7 innings. We spent most of our time searching for woman who our wives would be pissed we were looking at. Found quite a few actually. :devil:

We also had to sit and listen to Indians fans yell and scream about how they were the best, etc etc.

Then the bottom of the 8th happened. Castro's unexpected bomb really woke the crowd up. We were about 20 feet from the HR and I actually made it on TV for the first time that I know of. (Watched the replay on STO when I got home) There was a good buzz going after the 8th ended until the bullpen struck again. That took a little bit out of the crowd and my group.

The Hatteberg out to begin the 9th really had me thinking it was going to be another loss. Then Kearns and Phillips got on and the crowd started to get a buzz again. After Valentin got out, all the same thoughts entered my mind. I just sat there and told my firends that it would be great just to get Dunn up here in the 9th. Then the 5 pitch walk to Freel. The crowd began to get louder and louder. Then the 4 pitch walk to Lopez. The crowd is now really getting into it. Ball 1 to Dunn. The crowd is now at a fever pitch.

Right after ball 1 to Dunn, I turned to my friends and said "This is the pitch to hit". They both just kinda laughed and said "5 straight though" Then Wickman threw the pitch and Dunn did what Dunn does and hit a screamer into the bullpen that we had a great angle on out in left. The place absolutely went crazy and everyone was highfiving everyone else. Also loved the look on the Indians fans faces who were around us. Utter shock.

I've been to quite a few comeback wins, I think this one is right up there with Opening Day 2 years ago when Randa hit the walkoff against the Mets. I think that game and tonights are the best games I've seen in person.

I will be back down to Cincy on Sunday and I hope the Reds win in a more common fashion that day.

Wow, what a game.

Johnny Vander m
07-01-2006, 03:32 AM
Hey, good write up on the game. Thanks for a first hand report.

KronoRed
07-01-2006, 04:01 AM
Cool report :)

GAC
07-01-2006, 06:15 AM
RIC gave me free tickets (2) to every game this weekend. He unfortunately couldn't go and didn't want the tix to go to waste. I couldn't go because we're getting ready to go on vacation this weekend, so I gave them to co-workers.

I hope they didn't get discouraged and left early last night. If they did, then they have to be kicking themselves this morning. ;)

Thanks again RIC! :thumbup:

I've seen quite a few Red comebacks in my old age. I remember one particular game in 1979 vs the Cards. I can't remember who the SP was because he only lasted 1/3 of an inning, and the Reds were down 9-0. :lol:

They put this kid in named Frank Pastore, who pitched 8 2/3 shut out baseball, and the Reds came back and won 11-9.

Red in Chicago
07-01-2006, 07:55 AM
gac,
after that first inning i kept thinking to myself..."thank goodness i didn't drive down" and "poor gac"...that feeling lasted for another 7 innings...

even when dunn came up in the bottom of the 9th, i was still thinking "i've seen this before only to be disappointed"...and "poor gac"...

when dunn's ball went out of the park, all i could think was "poor ric" for not being able to go:bang:

now, after reading that you couldn't go last night, i'm back to "poor gac":laugh:

hope your buddies got to see the "comeback of a lifetime"...happy vacation:beerme:

kbrake
07-01-2006, 10:38 AM
Buckeye33, that game last night replaced Opening Day 2004 as the best game I have ever been to for me as well. Also I will be going back on Sunday as well. Still cant get over last night. I was actually in Cleveland for their huge comeback over Seattle in 2001, I think, but I left in the 5th inning of that one. So thankful I stayed for this one.

Phhhl
07-01-2006, 11:35 AM
Those in attendance in the 9th inning saw something about as rare as a perfect game, judging from the "Ultimate Grand Slam" thread. I am envious, because there is nothing quite like the rush of being at the park for a walk off homer. The closest I came to this was Larkin's 3-run pinch hit shot to beat the Cards.