PDA

View Full Version : Rank the Reds announcers.

Jim Fazio
07-01-2006, 11:28 AM
Thought this would be fun. Rank your Reds announcers from favorite to least favorite. Here's mine:

1. Marty
2. Chris Welsh, Joe Nuxall
3. George Grande
4. Jeff Picora
5. Jim Day
6. Steve Stewart

RBA
07-01-2006, 12:29 PM
1. Steve Stewart
2. Chris Welch
3. Marty
4. Nuxhall
LAST: GRANDE

BuckWoody
07-01-2006, 12:31 PM
OK, I'll play!

1. Marty - He gets a lot of grief on here and a lot of it is valid, but in my book there is still no one better.
2. Joe Nuxhall - A legend and a complete class act. For me, Joe is and will forever be Reds baseball.
3. Chris Welsh - I love me some Creeper. :thumbup: I think he would be even better if he didn't share the booth with George. The mustache is priceless.
4. Steve Stewart - He's getting better and seems to be establishing some rapport with Marty. I look for him to keep improving.
5. Jeff Piecoro - Solid and professional but a little too vanilla.
6. Jim Day - Too goofy. He reminds me a bit of what I might be like if I had his job...not a ringing endorsement. ;)
7. George Grande - A great guy by all accounts but he just drives me absolutely nuts and has for years. :(

RollyInRaleigh
07-01-2006, 12:33 PM
Marty
Nuxhall
Chris Welsh
George Grande
Steve Stewart

I don't connect with Stewart at all and find him very vanilla. He doesn't do a thing for me. I have tried to listen to him, and felt that he eventually would grow on me, but I don't see anything appealing about the way he calls a ballgame and can't get excited about anything he brings to the table. I would hope that the Reds might reconsider and make a change in the Radio booth. Very boring

savafan
07-01-2006, 12:37 PM
I don't connect with Stewart at all and find him very vanilla. He doesn't do a thing for me. I have tried to listen to him, and felt that he eventually would grow on me, but I don't see anything appealing about the way he calls a ballgame and can't get excited about anything he brings to the table. I would hope that the Reds might reconsider and make a change in the Radio booth. Very boring

Sadly, I feel the same way. I'd rather have a homer in the radio booth.

BuckWoody
07-01-2006, 12:37 PM
I would really like to see a Marty/Creeper duo on the radio side. I think that would be great. Welsh would have to take a pay cut and do more work for that to happen so the chance seems remote.

nineworldseries
07-01-2006, 12:46 PM
1. Marty Brennaman - I think he is going downhill the past few years (sorry to say) but he is still the best!

2. Joe Nuxhall - Would be #1 but he just doesn't call enough games anymore.

3. Chris Welsh - He is pretty enjoyable in my opinion and brings a lot of good insider info to the FSN broadcasts. It is him alone that makes the broadcasts listenable.

4. Steve Stewart - Meh.

5. Jeff Piecoro - Heard him when Crafty was out the other day and he seemed OK if a little generic.

6. Jim Day - A total goofball.

DEAD LAST - George Grande. He is simply horrible and I pray that one day this nightmare will end.

savafan
07-01-2006, 01:12 PM
I kinda like Jim Day, call me crazy.

Unassisted
07-01-2006, 01:17 PM
1. Steve Stewart - If I want opinions, I'll read the editorial page or RedsZone. Steve is as good as Jack Webb at delivering the facts.

2. Chris Welsh - Best baseball knowledge of any announcer the Reds have in the stable. Some of his opinions are out of left field, like the HR = Rally Killer bit, but I'll cut him some slack since he has a lot of air time to fill and there are only so many anecdotes in the Media Guide.

3. George Grande - Plenty o' facts, but his homespun expressions bug me in the way that Dan Rather's similes did. Still, the man gets mild props from me for omitting the "D" word from that "Sports Show" title. I have to respect someone who takes a public stand about the debasing of society.

4. Joe - Only because I remember him when he used to be good. Father Time and failing health are the biggest reasons he isn't good anymore.

5. Marty - I remember him when he used to be good. If only he'd let Dr. Kremchek operate on his inflamed ego and give him a prescription that would reduce the swelling of those grudges, he could be good again. Stubborn earns Marty a ticket to last place on my list.

Footnote: Since I knew Jim Day in college and haven't heard him announce a game since then, I don't have an informed opinion on his work.

Maldez
07-01-2006, 01:32 PM
1. Steve Stewart - If I want opinions, I'll read the editorial page or RedsZone. Steve is as good as Jack Webb at delivering the facts.

2. Chris Welsh - Best baseball knowledge of any announcer the Reds have in the stable. Some of his opinions are out of left field, like the HR = Rally Killer bit, but I'll cut him some slack since he has a lot of air time to fill and there are only so many anecdotes in the Media Guide.

3. George Grande - Plenty o' facts, but his homespun expressions bug me in the way that Dan Rather's similes did. Still, the man gets mild props from me for omitting the "D" word from that "Sports Show" title. I have to respect someone who takes a public stand about the debasing of society.

4. Joe - Only because I remember him when he used to be good. Father Time and failing health are the biggest reasons he isn't good anymore.

5. Marty - I remember him when he used to be good. If only he'd let Dr. Kremchek operate on his inflamed ego and give him a prescription that would reduce the swelling of those grudges, he could be good again. Stubborn earns Marty a ticket to last place on my list.

Footnote: Since I knew Jim Day in college and haven't heard him announce a game since then, I don't have an informed opinion on his work.

Pretty nice comments, overall. Here's my list:

1) Chris Welsh - tells it like it is. He's a Reds fan without all of the corny, icky sentimentality of George Grande (who's probably better suited for announcing something like a Disney parade).

2) Jim Day - can't comment on his play-by-play skills (not sure he has any) but he's got an enjoyable presence with the color stuff he does before and after games with the players.

3) Joe Nuxhall - this is more of a courtesy vote for Joe for all he's done over the years. Obviously, Joe's getting older, and with each passing year his play-play-play becomes more difficult to follow. He'll leave you hangin' with something like "Well, here's one way, way, back........and.......the ump.....well, hold on now, I don't know about that one.....here comes Narron out to argue.....".

4) Marty Brenneman - maybe it's just me but the man's voice grates on my ears. I think if there was something like closed caption where I could just read what he was saying he'd be ok. But that voice.....he's got it all torqued-up with this rapid-fire delivery of his that I just don't dig.

5) George Grande - see #1 above. Nice man. That's his problem.

6) Stewart - if there was a way to program a computer to do play-by-play it would come out sounding just like Mr. Stewart. There's not a human being behind the words.

MaineRed
07-01-2006, 01:36 PM
I've said it before, if Grande wants to make a stand, quit. The name of that show is completely stupid, I agree but George works for that network and it is his job to say the name of the show.

Is it OK for someone from an ad agency who is working on McDonalds account to only advertise salads because the rest of the food is bad for you? To me that is essentially what George is doing.

1. Chris Welsch. I don't understand why people don't like him. He wants the Reds to win and when they do he has as much fun in the booth as anyone. But he isn't a Steve Stone type homer either. Very fair. And I love his JTM promos. "Hey Meat!"

2. Marty. Not a big fan because I don't like his trivia questions and all the other non baseball references. But when it comes to straight play by play, he is very good. No doubt.

3. Stewart. By Default.

4. Grande. Wish he would leave.

I'm not going to include the other guys because they aren't really Red announcers.

Redhook
07-01-2006, 01:47 PM
1) Marty - I still love listening to him announce games. I used to listen to every game growing up and he still does a great job at play-by-play.
2) Welsh - Not great, but very good. I think he has a good idea as to what's going on and his previous MLB experience certainly shows that.
3) Nuxhall - Longevity vote here. It was fun listening to him even though you really didn't have much of a clue what was going on in the game. "There's a flyball to left. It's 5-3 now."
4) Steve Stewart - I think he has potential. I'd like to see more personality from him. For some reason, I want him to care more about whether the Reds win or not. I think he's getting better, but earlier this year I got the feeling that he couldn't care less whether the Reds won or not.
5) Grande - He definitely cares if the Reds win or not. Unfortunately, he's just not that good at doing play-by-play. And the depth perception problem is brutal. If an opposing team hits an upper deck home he starts out by saying there's a flyball. If the Reds get the ball airborn he's starts flipping out like the Reds just won a game 9-8 on a walkoff 2-out grand slam ;) .
6) Jim Day - I've never heard him announce a game, but I thinks he's a buffoon. He's just too happy, all the time. I'd love to see him mad after a Reds loss sometime.

savafan
07-01-2006, 01:48 PM
2. Marty. Not a big fan because I don't like his trivia questions and all the other non baseball references.

I don't think he comes up with the trivia questions.

reds44
07-01-2006, 01:58 PM
1. Marty
2. Chris Welsh
3. Steve Stewart
4. Jim Day
5. Jeff Picora
6. George Grande

I kinda like Jim Day, call me crazy.
So do I, not to mention he is a good guy.

nineworldseries
07-01-2006, 02:00 PM
RE: the trivia questions...

They are formulated (I'm almost sure) by producer Dave "Yiddy" Armbruster.

I do agree they are highly stupid most of the time. "Gangster or Gangsta?" Come on.

Maldez
07-01-2006, 02:11 PM
[QUOTE=Redhook]...
5) Grande - .... And the depth perception problem is brutal. If an opposing team hits an upper deck home he starts out by saying there's a flyball. .[QUOTE]

Is this a legit problem of Grande's or just an observation, because I've noticed it too. I've lost track of how many times he's shouted "Hit pretty good !!" only to see a routine fly ball get caught in the middle of the outfield.

KittyDuran
07-01-2006, 02:34 PM
1. Marty
2. Steve Stewart
3. Chris Welsh
4. Joe
5. George Grande

KronoRed
07-01-2006, 04:14 PM
1. Steve Stewart
2. Chris Welch
3. Marty
4. Nuxhall
Agreed.

pedro
07-01-2006, 04:59 PM
1. Steve Stewart
2. Chris Welch
3. Marty
4. Nuxhall

That's kind of where I'm at too, although I would like to say that Marty has the most talent when he chooses to use it.

MaineRed
07-01-2006, 05:39 PM
I don't think he comes up with the trivia questions.

Yup, kind of figured that. But he obviously likes to do them. That is what I was talking about.

Grande and his depth perception is getting out of control. Anyone remember Milton's double from his last start that hit off the wall on the fly?

"Blooped to left" was the call George gave. The ball Milton hit was roped. Grande did the same exact thing later in the game on another rocket.

Rockets are bloops and bloops are hit pretty good. Get some glasses, a telescope, a spotter or just shut up until you know for sure what is going on. The game is on TV, we can see it ourselves. We don't really need George to tell us what didn't happen 1 second before we see what actually happens.

The guy never shuts up. He is a such a motor mouth.

Huh, Chris?

jimbo
07-01-2006, 05:50 PM
1. Marty - still the best in my opinion. His game ending call last night was an instant classic. Blows my mind how so many Reds fans dislike him.
2. Steve Stewart - didn't care for him at first but think he is improving drastically.
3. Chris Welch - I like his knowledge of the game and how he communicates it to the average fan.
4. George Grande - I'm in the minority in that I have no problem with him. He's not the best, but I've heard lots worse.
5. Jim Day - I only put him this far down because he isn't actually a game announcer. I like his goofiness. Why does everything have to be so proper?

Matt700wlw
07-01-2006, 05:55 PM
1. Marty - still the best in my opinion. His game ending call last night was an instant classic. Blows my mind how so many Reds fans dislike him.

The call last night gives you chills....there's only a select few broadcasters that can do that.

Marty can do it quite often.

Calls like that are why he is a hall of famer. Their priceless....they're REAL. There's nothing fake or scripted in those.

DropDocK
07-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Joe: what I remember growing up with and learning how to guess what was happening during his pauses. Just helped me visualize the game more. I loved his call while filling in last year in Milwalkee on the game ending home run.

Chris: underrated and the only reason I could watch the tv broadcast. Great insight and I wish he was paired better in the booth.

Marty: have to agree with the sentiment that nobody can call the dramatic moments like he does. His banter about friends or people nobody in the listening audience knows is my pet peeve. Too harsh or talking down on Steve, imo, sometimes but I'm not a Steve fan either.

Steve: by default cause the spot is here. At least he isn't announcing each pitchers height, weight and 8th grade team mascot like he did the first couple years. And I know he does the corny Roadrunner ads, but man you don't have to sound like the pc.

George has serious vision depth problems. He gets me excited about a routine fly ball way too often and I can only curse the tv camera for not showing the arc of the ball. I'd ask, Could he be any cornier?, but already know the answer. Get 'er Dunn? Please, no need to make the area sound any more country bumpkin. I hate that phrase.

kxblue
07-01-2006, 08:33 PM
I like all the announcers, but here is my picking order.

1) Chris- I love hearing Chris because he knows baseball. The HR rally killer made me laugh, but that's one of the few silly things he has said.
2) Joe- Classic
3) Grande- Doesnt bother me. He isnt great but he probably gets this spot b/c of Chris.
4) Steve- He gives you every single detail, such as "The pitcher spits to the left of the mound. He adjusts his uniform, works the ball, and here's the pitch..." I like Steve.
5) Marty- the reason some people dont like him (incluiding myself) is he brings so much opinion to a brodcast and its not always related to baseball. As it has been mentioned, he can be great when he sticks to baseball.

gm
07-01-2006, 09:17 PM
I would really like to see a Marty/Creeper duo on the radio side. I think that would be great.

No! Marty needs to "reunite" with the Creeper in the TV booth (and for more than 3 innings, this time around) Give Georgie a one-way ticket to St. Louis! Bring back those foofy-haired, fancy-boy noogies!!!

markymark69
07-01-2006, 09:21 PM
1. Marty --- The HOF'er is without the question the best. Last night's call further emphasizes that point.

2. Chris Welsh --- I think offers pretty good insight, hindered greatly by Grande.

3. Joe Nuxhall --- Hard to follow sometimes, but great enthusiasm and you know where he stands on the Reds.

4. George Grande --- You know his story. Talks too much for TV. Not too bad in big situations like last night, his call was pretty good also. He did botch Griffey's 500th though. No need to go on about the all the goofy sayings he has.

5. Steve Stewart --- Disappointed with him. Very bland, also has alot of Grande in him and the "Bad Boy" bit is way past old.

Jim Day and Jeff Piecoro do not even rate, that;s how bad they are.

Joseph
07-01-2006, 11:31 PM
Piecoro is a total tool. He's bad at everything he does. I'm praying the changes on 1360 include removing him.

fielder's choice
07-02-2006, 12:25 AM
Piecoro is a total tool. He's bad at everything he does. I'm praying the changes on 1360 include removing him.

Actually, he is really good at doing color commentary for UK football.

WVRedsFan
07-02-2006, 01:16 AM
I came in on this late, but I want to comment. When I think of announcers, I think of the guys who broadcast during the game, so I'll stick to that. As for Jeff P. and Jim Day, they are poor even for local announcers. Even the Pirates have better and that's a shame.

1. Marty - lst night's HR call is one example. Sure, he aggravates the purists (you know there story...they want Jack Webb--just the facts). I'll watch sports news if I want the facts. I want emotion and entertainment. If I have to spend 4 hours in a car and can't see the game, I want to know what's going on, but I also want to be entertained. I can get the facts on Game Tracker or whatever.

2. Joe - I don't know why, but llistening to him call a game is just so much like what Reds baseball is. All of a sudden, I'm 15 again and living each word. Maybe it's nostalgia. And when his inning is over, you know Marty's coming back on soon.

3. Chris Welsh - Motormouth. Constantly talking. Does he know baseball? Is the Pope Catholic? But you have to shutup, especially when doing TV and let the game speak for itself. Chris doesn't know the meaning of the word.

4. Steve - A nice guy from all reports. A competent announcer. Not a color man. A guy who is so low key and laid back, he should be a golf announcer. God in Heaven forbid he inherits the pbp job when Marty steps down. Listenership will drop by 50% and TV will be king unless the guy below stays. Someone compared him to Jack Webb, aka Joe Friday. Good comparison. The game of baseball has its ebbs and flows. Steve never ebbs and always flows. He's boring and not suited for radio. And he's the brainchild of the past administration. Not good.

5. George. I listen to a lot of baseball on XM and watch a lot on the TV package. Not one of the other announcers get excited over the opposition's good plays. George does. His almost cheery disposition makes me think he must be an alien from another planet. He's a nice guy from everyone who's met him, but he's not the guy I'd have a beer with after the game (heck, Geo. probably doesn't drink anyway). I started a practice of not listening lately. I can't stand it anymore.

TOBTTReds
07-02-2006, 02:29 AM
First off, I've been laughing throughout the whole thread. Here's mine:

1) Marty. Great "game-caller." There is a lot of fluff now, and I don't like trivia in the 8th inning when there is a big moment, but I think that is on 700, not Marty.

2) Chris. When is he going to strangle GG? He has rebutled GG's comments more and more, and he earns a lot of my respect doing that. Plus he sincerely roots for the Reds, and when the Reds suck, he says they do and why. He doesn't sit there and slobber over the opponents unless they really are great. He knows what fans want to hear I think, because he is a fan too.

3) Joe. A legend and just not healthy enough to do his thing but was always a great partner with Marty.

4) Steve. Never turned for him. I thought I was once listening to chess, then I realized Steve was calling the game. Remember earlier this year when there was a great diving catch made in the Cubs game I think in April? Steve called it as a regular pop out, turns out it was a crazy play in deep right-center. No emotion at all.

5) Georgie. Well you know his story. He's a true professional in every sense of the word, and just like the guys he says that about, not very good. I wish I could delay my radio for 5 seconds to listen and watch at the same time. I'm so tired of his obsession with other players or teams, of course the Cardinals come to mind with Sir Albert, Mr. Edmonds, and the Red Birds.

He also has obsessions with some of our players. He absolutely LOVES Rich Aurilia. If Aurilia is 5-25 in a 2 week span he will say that "he has been hitting the ball hard and spraying it but just has been getting unlucky." If Edwin is 15-25 in that same span he will be saying "he's getting all the breaks. A lot of seeing-eye singles and bloops have fallen for him lately. It's a game of luck you know?" Drives me crazy. He has a passion for 30+ year old white baseball players. Have you ever heard him say this professional crap about a black player? Right before Edwin (I know he is Latino, not black) got hurt, he was having better and better AB's, even Marty was all over him (in a positive way) about how great his patience was getting at the plate, but George will hammer away on one swing and miss the whole game and say how Richie or Hatte wouldn't do that.

I'd be on the smiling side of FSN if they fired him ASAP.

PS - I love threads like this. It's like therapy. I'm becoming a scrappy vet at them. Thanks.

indyred
07-02-2006, 11:34 PM
New to the team this year. I only will rate the big 4 from what i've heard.
1. Marty....I love his inside stuff, even though I really have no idea the history of his jabs at former front office types. You just don't get that in other cities. I like his home run calls and how he will call out player's in certain situations.
2. Stewart....I kinda like the fact that it's not an x player in the booth as the sidekick. For being real mellow, his voice is clear and smooth. Nice change of pace with Marty. I like the contrast. I hate it when there are 2 guys in the booth with the exact same style and sounding voices....
3. Grande.....He does have sense of big time to him. Being an original ESPN adds to his aura...Although he can botch his share of calls....Like his no doubt a bout it homers being caught on track....I don't mind him....
4. Welch.....I don't care for him....His interviews on pregame are to fluffy. A player may say something interesting and he just goes to his next softball question instead of digging more....If they want former player on the TV side there must be better out there.....To me he would be a good AAA tv guy....Little to happy go lucky for me....

MartyFan
07-03-2006, 12:01 AM
My choices..

Steve Stewart
Marty
Chris
George
Joe

Superdude
07-03-2006, 12:25 AM
1) J.D.
-I have answers...and Jim Day is just the sweetest! He has hair like a 7th grader though!
2) Crafty Lefthander
-Car-X mechanics of the game is quite simply the best 30 seconds on television. And the fact that he takes the time to put on a full uniform shows some unbelievable work ethic!
3) Marty
-Who cares if he's a baseball idiot, that voice is just gorgeous.
4) Stevie
-"The Bad Boy" might be the single greatest nickname of all time. That's basically the only reason I have him at #4.
5) George Grande
-Despite horrible depth perception, a mild case of ADD, a horrible spanish accent, and a massive love affair with Chad Tracy, I don't mind George...and here's why: BEEP BEEP JEEP pitching matchup

Razor Shines
07-03-2006, 12:41 AM
My choices..

Steve Stewart
Marty
Chris
George
Joe
I know you're a comedian, I am honestly just asking if this is a joke? Considering your "handle", as the kids say, you put Steve Stewart #1? Must be very impressed. Is a name change in the future. Or, and I hadn't really thought of this, does your name have nothing to do with Marty B.?

CTA513
07-03-2006, 12:51 AM
1. Marty - Steve Stewart
2. Chris Welsh
3. Joe Nuxall
4. Jim Day
5. Jeff Picora
9498134. George Grande

:evil:

MATT IN CHAR NC
07-03-2006, 11:18 AM
Joe Nuxhall- because he was nice to me when my dad went to the baseball camp.

Marty- because he makes things sound exciting.

Chris Welsh- I like the Car-X mechanics of the game.

George Grande- He is kind of goofy, but I still like him.

George Grande
07-03-2006, 11:27 AM
I would rank myself number 1, I broadcast the game well and am working on getting my vision problem taken care of.

Number 2 is my partner the crafty lefthander. He knows a lot about the game and really should try to get into coaching.

I like Marty but he strays away from the game to much. I know its tough to talk about the Reds the whole time, thats why I talk about other teams and players.

I loved Joe, but all good things must come to an end.

MartyFan
07-03-2006, 11:28 AM
I know you're a comedian, I am honestly just asking if this is a joke? Considering your "handle", as the kids say, you put Steve Stewart #1? Must be very impressed. Is a name change in the future. Or, and I hadn't really thought of this, does your name have nothing to do with Marty B.?

No Joke...I think Stewart "at this time" is the best announcer in the Reds fold....I love the way he stays out of the way of the game.

As for my name...well, there are a couple of reasons why my name is "MartyFan"...my real name is Marty and I am a fan of the Reds...second I am a fan of Marty B.

I don't see a name change in the future...

FYI...If Paul Keils was in the fold, he would be at the top of my list.

Razor Shines
07-03-2006, 11:35 AM
No Joke...I think Stewart "at this time" is the best announcer in the Reds fold....I love the way he stays out of the way of the game.

As for my name...well, there are a couple of reasons why my name is "MartyFan"...my real name is Marty and I am a fan of the Reds...second I am a fan of Marty B.

I don't see a name change in the future...

I see. For what it is worth I also do really enjoy listening to Steve, so I wasn't knocking your list I was just curious.

redsrule2500
07-03-2006, 11:43 AM
1. Marty
2. Joe
3. Grande
4. Welsch
5. Stewart
6. Day

gm
07-03-2006, 01:40 PM
George does. His almost cheery disposition makes me think he must be an alien from another planet.

Think Galaxy Quest. The squids that morphed into Pee-wee Herman clones

KittyDuran
07-03-2006, 08:34 PM
:thumbup:

Yachtzee
07-03-2006, 10:34 PM
Paul Keils has a great radio voice. I really enjoy it.

My list:

1. Good Marty - The HOF broadcaster who has a feel for the moment. His calls are some of the best in the game. If you can get ahold of tapes of Marty back in his early days, it's really a joy to listen to.

2. Steve Stewart - I think he does a good job and has the basic tools. Give him some time and he may develop into another top notch PBP man.

3. Chris Welsh - I agree with the sentiments here that he has some good insight, and a porn stache that rates with the best of them. But sometimes he says stuff that raises eyebrows.

4. Joe Nuxhall - I loved him as a kid. I still enjoy listening to his voice from time to time. He'll be tough to replace.

5. George Grande - I like him as a person and I respect that he doesn't like to use coarse language. I just think that he doesn't always have a feel for the big moment. The classic situation came during the first pitch at GABP. I was listening to it on the radio on the way home from work and had the VCR taping it at home. Marty's call on the radio was something like this: "Here's the windup and the pitch...there you have it, the first pitch at GABP." George's call on the TV wasn't a call at all. He was too busy giving us Kenny Lofton's (I think it was Lofton) stats from the previous season.

6. Bad Marty - This Marty seems almost mean-spirited. He makes constant, needless digs at those in his doghouse. He views their missteps in the field and at the plate as personal affronts to his baseball sensibilities. He is closed-minded and refuses to entertain any new ideas that do not fit with his own personal Weltanschauung. He is condescending to those who disagree with him. He spends time making jokes about people the average listener has no clue about and often seems to derive more joy from recapping the last episode of American Idol than calling the game. This Marty I could do without.

The rest I haven't seen or heard enough to comment on.

Tony Cloninger
07-03-2006, 10:51 PM
How long does GG's "aura" of being the first Sportscenter announcer go one for this guy?

He is like Pete Best to me......okay he was there during the tough early years....but the big groundwork and reputation was laid out by someone else.

KittyDuran
07-04-2006, 07:24 AM
He is like Pete Best to me......okay he was there during the tough early years....but the big groundwork and reputation was laid out by someone else.
Ooo... nice analogy!

http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/Drums.gif

Redhook
07-04-2006, 08:24 AM
I already listed my rankings earlier in this thread.

I just wanted to say it is quite painful watching Reds games recently on FSN. The combination of George Grande being so chipper during and after Reds losses, and the constant playing of that ridiculously bad Taylor Hicks Ford commercial makes me want to throw up. Just an awful, awful combination for the ears. I wish I could listen to 700 WLW and mute the t.v., but the 5-second delay on t.v. doesn't allow for it.

WVRedsFan
07-04-2006, 11:12 PM
I already listed my rankings earlier in this thread.

I just wanted to say it is quite painful watching Reds games recently on FSN. The combination of George Grande being so chipper during and after Reds losses, and the constant playing of that ridiculously bad Taylor Hicks Ford commercial makes me want to throw up. Just an awful, awful combination for the ears. I wish I could listen to 700 WLW and mute the t.v., but the 5-second delay on t.v. doesn't allow for it.
You should combine the 5-second TV delay with the 3-second XM delay. Twilight Zone stuff!

Heath
07-05-2006, 02:30 PM
I never heard Claude Sullivan or Waite Hoyt's Radio days, in fact Jim McIntyre's just a highlight away. But if Al Michaels wants to have some fun during the lull in football season, maybe we can pair him with Tom Seaver to do Reds Baseball....... :D

crazybob60
07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I would love to have Tom Seaver up in the booth....what I wouldn't give for that...just interviews with him are fantastic in my book.

Edskin
07-05-2006, 03:04 PM
My list would have Marty at the bottom-- you can rank the rest how you want.

Danny Serafini
07-05-2006, 03:32 PM
RE: the trivia questions...

They are formulated (I'm almost sure) by producer Dave "Yiddy" Armbruster.

I do agree they are highly stupid most of the time. "Gangster or Gangsta?" Come on.

I have to admit, I actually look forward to Cubs games so I can hear "Gangster or Gangsta?". But maybe I'm just a little strange. :)

gonelong
07-05-2006, 03:32 PM
I rank the announcers as such due to my world-view that the announcers are not hired for the typical Redszone fan, they are hired for the very casual fan.

There are no announcers hired with gonelong in mind, and thusly, I tend to think that many baseball announcers aren't worth my undivided attention.

I'm ok with that, a team SHOULDN'T be hiring guys with gonelong in mind. I'll watch the games even if they played "nails on a chalkboard" or polkas in the background in place of announcers.

GL

3. Nuxy (an old friend)
4. Stewart, Welsh (... waking from nap, huh?, whazat?)
5. Marty B. (yawn)
6. Grande, Picora, Day (meh, comedic value only)