PDA

View Full Version : One of the best catches I've ever seen.

TOBTTReds
07-02-2006, 01:39 AM
If you haven't see The Catch yet, you can find it now on the front of mlb.com. Probably the best catch by an OF'er I can think of right now. Definitely play of the year locked up. Check it out by Gary Matthews Jr. www.mlb.com

MrCinatit
07-02-2006, 01:57 AM
It is amazing people can jump that high.

TOBTTReds
07-02-2006, 02:04 AM
It is amazing people can jump that high.

He put his right cleats on the wall and kind of "spider-manned" it up that high which I think makes it more amazing to catch the ball after that.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-02-2006, 03:29 AM
The most amazing part to me was how he adjusted himself in the air so that it seemed like he was just spinning around.

KronoRed
07-02-2006, 03:44 AM
Spring shoes

07-02-2006, 04:07 AM
Didn't Griffey make a catch similar to that when he playes for the Yankees?

And I remember Bo Jackson kind of running up the wall, but I think it was after the catch.

cincyinco
07-02-2006, 08:06 AM
What about Coco Crisp's catch the other night against David Wright? I thought that was pretty spectacular in its own right.. he just exploded to catch that ball. Game saving catch, by far.

Redhook
07-02-2006, 10:20 AM
That catch was amazing. Probably a little more difficult than the catch Jim Edmonds made at GABP.

IslandRed
07-02-2006, 11:26 AM
What about Coco Crisp's catch the other night against David Wright? I thought that was pretty spectacular in its own right.. he just exploded to catch that ball. Game saving catch, by far.

That was terrific, too. But I'm pretty sure I'll see another one just like that before I see another one just like Matthews'.

KySteveH
07-02-2006, 11:55 AM

Yankees? Griffey JR?

VR
07-02-2006, 12:14 PM
Yankees? Griffey JR?
Sr. did it for the Yanks, over the fence in the left field corner.

Jr. also had a wild one, I think it was in Tiger Stadium

IowaRed
07-02-2006, 01:21 PM
It was a great catch, while you're checking that one out watch Raul Ibanez's catch. Not quite as impressive but pretty good

Spitball
07-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Eric Davis robbed Jack Clark twice in one series with catches comparable to the one Matthews made. Imagine that. Does anyone else remember those catches? I believe Davis and Clark were fighting for the NL lead in homeruns at the time.

RedLegSuperStar
07-02-2006, 09:54 PM

I watched that and was in aw. It looked like his body jumped in mid air to make that extra effort to catch that ball. That was by far the best catch I've ever seen..

..Until I saw GMJ last night and was like.. "Catch Of The Year"

Marty and Joe
07-02-2006, 11:09 PM
That catch by Matthews was by far the best one I've seen.

Not quite the same situation as "The catch" by Willie Mays in Game 1 of the '54 World Series, but, the play Matthews made was definitely better.

Athletically, this one should be near the top of all-time lists. Amazing.

Redhook
07-02-2006, 11:15 PM
Eric Davis robbed Jack Clark twice in one series with catches comparable to the one Matthews made. Imagine that. Does anyone else remember those catches? I believe Davis and Clark were fighting for the NL lead in homeruns at the time.

I do. I was at the second game. It was awesome. One of the most memorable game experiences of my life by my favorite player. All that being said, I don't think Davis' catches were in the same ballpark as Matthews. Matthews catch has to be one of the top 5 all-time, going solely on the catch and not the meaning of the game at the time.

kaldaniels
07-02-2006, 11:56 PM
I do. I was at the second game. It was awesome. One of the most memorable game experiences of my life by my favorite player. All that being said, I don't think Davis' catches were in the same ballpark as Matthews. Matthews catch has to be one of the top 5 all-time, going solely on the catch and not the meaning of the game at the time.

Is there any web video of the Davis catch...I remember it/them and would love to see it again!

buckeyenut
07-03-2006, 09:30 PM

Those Davis catches were great and all, but they were straight home run steals, not of the magnitude of Matthews catch.

Any home run steal is great, and what Davis did was kind of like VanDermers back to back no hitters, but for the pure catch itself, that Matthews one is the best I have personally ever seen.

Caseyfan21
07-04-2006, 02:39 AM
Dang, I watched that and have to keep telling myself that wall is 8 feet tall. The height he got was amazing.

RadfordVA
07-04-2006, 03:28 AM

And I remember Bo Jackson kind of running up the wall, but I think it was after the catch.

Griffey's catch was around 1991 and was in Yankees Stadium. They have used it numerous times in commercials. Probablys griffeys greatest catch. And yeah Bo Jackson's run up the wall was after he caught it shy of the warning track.

cincinnati chili
07-04-2006, 03:32 AM
The Matthews catch is one of the toughest in all of baseball. Dig your spikes into the padded wall, propel yourself over the wall, and take one away on the dead run.

The funny thing is that Raul Ibanez made a similar catch ON THE SAME NIGHT. These two catches may be top 3 or 4 for the season. Ibanez's catch is getting zero play because everyone's talking about G. Matthews.