PDA

View Full Version : Greg Maddux?

Jpup
07-02-2006, 10:15 AM
According to the Chicago rags this morning, the Cubs could be shopping Greg Maddux. Anyone interested in trading for him? He has been dreadful lately, but I think he would look better in the back in of the rotation than Milton or Mays.

Any takers?

Ltlabner
07-02-2006, 10:42 AM
I think he'd be worthwhile to have around, if anything so the other pitchers can pick his computer-like baseball brain. He's definaltey got to be one of the smartest pitchers to ever play the game. (By the way BA is also a "thinking pitcher"). He's still got a decent glove in the field for his position and a bat at the plate (but he's no BA!).

If we could get him for some minor leaguers (maybe Chicago is wanting to restock?) or on the cheep I think he'd be a good #5 and a more valuable resource for the pitching staff as a whole.

And as I posted previously, the fact that he's one of my favorite pitchers of all time doesn't have annnnyyything to do with it..........

MrCinatit
07-02-2006, 10:59 AM
I for one would not mind seeing The Professor in a Reds uniform, this is for certain - as long as the price is cheap enough. Maybe even for a couple more years (if he continues that long).
Then again, as Ltl'Abner said, he could also be good to have around for our young-uns to learn from.
He has long been one of my favorites, as well - especially since we share the same first name.

wheels
07-02-2006, 11:56 AM
I don't want the Reds trading with the Cubs.

I'd hate to see someone I like wearing that blue for a few years just for a half season of an old Greg Maddux.

I really dislike the Cubs.

TOBTTReds
07-02-2006, 12:09 PM
He's worn. No way. Plus, I always liked when we faced him so I don't think I want to see him pitching on my team.

membengal
07-02-2006, 12:30 PM
He's worn, but when Maddux is 67 he will be more effective than Joe Mays is now, or than Claussen sometimes is. IF they could work a deal where the Cubs pick up a bunch of his contract and it wouldn't cost the Reds more than a B-level prospect, I wouldn't mind it.

RFS62
07-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Greatest baseball IQ in history.

RedRoser
07-02-2006, 03:26 PM
You rang, '62? :evil: ;)

RFS62
07-02-2006, 03:39 PM
You rang, '62? :evil: ;)

Of course I'm talkin' about you, Roser.

:beerme:

The_jbh
07-02-2006, 05:01 PM
weathers for him?

if we could get him for a borderline prospect I'd be for it. At the worst he can help in the dugout... Sign him as a pitching coach for next yr?

KronoRed
07-02-2006, 05:56 PM
If he's really cheap.

Then move him to pitching coach when he retires