PDA

View Full Version : Norm Charlton

crazybob60
07-03-2006, 12:26 AM
I have a question regarding Norm Charlton. I had heard some rumors that within the past year to two years that he has attempted a comeback in the majors. Is this true? I find this a little difficult to believe. The last 'true' legit thing I heard he was working on was as a Seattle Mariners broadcaster. This was maybe 3 or so years ago? Just curious if this was true and if anybody knew what he was possibly doing nowadays.

Also, curious about a couple other Reds...Nick Esasky, Kal Daniels, and/or John Franco...anybody know what they are up to nowadays? I haven't heard anything of Franco since he was released by the Astros last season.

Razor Shines
07-03-2006, 12:28 AM
The Reds are about to sign all four of them. And for good measure they are going to offer Jack Armstrong a minor league contract.

savafan
07-03-2006, 12:57 AM
To top it all off, Jeff Shaw is returning to become the team's new closer, so Coffey can pitch in the 3rd, 4th and 5th innings.

harangatang
07-03-2006, 01:23 AM
To top it all off, Jeff Shaw is returning to become the team's new closer, so Coffey can pitch in the 3rd, 4th and 5th innings.Damn it, I knew that name would come up sooner or later. :thumbdown ;)

Johnny Vander m
07-03-2006, 01:25 AM
Just got off the phone talking with Bill DeWitt. Said he is about to buy the club back fron Bob and is looking to sign Marshall Bridges to pitch long relief. He was upset when I told him that Marshall had died. But told him Bill Henry was still throwing in his back yard.

07-03-2006, 09:11 AM
Just got off the phone talking with Bill DeWitt. Said he is about to buy the club back fron Bob and is looking to sign Marshall Bridges to pitch long relief. He was upset when I told him that Marshall had died. But told him Bill Henry was still throwing in his back yard.

Was that you emailing Marty this weekend?

RedsBaron
07-03-2006, 09:59 AM
I heard a rumor that Christy Mathewson might be available. He is well rested.

CySeymour
07-03-2006, 10:12 AM
Maybe Nuxie could be brought in as a LOOGY

crazybob60
07-03-2006, 11:08 AM
I was just curious if you all knew what these guys were up to nowadays. I didn't say that I heard that of all of them were making a comeback, and I was real leary of the Charlton thing that I had heard.

I was just trying to get a little help on something I heard that I thought wasn't true and thought here was the best place to ask.....

Razor Shines
07-03-2006, 11:13 AM
I was just curious if you all knew what these guys were up to nowadays. I didn't say that I heard that of all of them were making a comeback, and I was real leary of the Charlton thing that I had heard.

I was just trying to get a little help on something I heard that I thought wasn't true and thought here was the best place to ask.....
Oh, well I haven't heard anything about that. But I can tell you something that is for real: Glenn Braggs will be back next year breaking bats over his shoulder on the follow through of his swing.

Johnny Vander m
07-03-2006, 02:33 PM
Was that you emailing Marty this weekend?

About wishing my brother a happy birthday? Yes.

Spitball
07-03-2006, 03:04 PM
Well, I'm not sure if this is what you were asking or if it was ever answered, but I believe Charlton is with Seattle radio station KJR and does pre and/or post Mariner games show.

I think KJR was named for Junior.

crazybob60
07-03-2006, 03:52 PM
Well, I'm not sure if this is what you were asking or if it was ever answered, but I believe Charlton is with Seattle radio station KJR and does pre and/or post Mariner games show.

I think KJR was named for Junior.

thank you...yes, it is what I was looking for. I wasn't trying to say he was making a comeback, I was just asking what he is up to nowadays.

savafan
07-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Most recent thing I can find:

Mariners | Charlton Retires After Surgery
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 15:17:27 -0800

The AP reports Seattle Mariners RP Norm Charlton (shoulder) announced his retirement from baseball on Sunday, Mar. 7, on the heels of a two-year comeback effort from shoulder injuries that ended with a recent surgery. The 41-year-old pitcher underwent surgery on Friday, Mar. 5, to repair a torn labrum in his left shoulder, but doctors said it would never be strong enough for him to be able to pitch again. "I'm pretty tired of going back under the knife," said Charlton. "If they say my shoulder won't be strong enough to stand pitching at the major league level, they probably know best." In all, Charlton pitched in the big leagues for 14 years. Charlton also said he'd like to remain in baseball as a coach.

donnelly_31
07-04-2006, 11:48 AM
Last thing I read about John Franco he was being investigated for ties to organized crime. According to the article he repeatedly left tickets to Mets games to reputed mobsters.

Hap
07-04-2006, 12:50 PM
Last thing I read about John Franco he was being investigated for ties to organized crime. According to the article he repeatedly left tickets to Mets games to reputed mobsters.

If known mobsters asked me for tickets, I would probably do it.

Sweetstop
07-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Norm was my favorite Nasty Boy, blond and sexy....

Glenn Braggs may have been the sexiest player ever to don a Reds' uniform...

my after six wine has kicked in.....