PDA

View Full Version : What inspired your RedsZone username? / What does your username mean?

WMR
07-03-2006, 02:31 PM
For some, like myself, the meaning is pretty easy to discern. I like Wily Mo. The long home-runs, the broken caveman english, the outfield adventures, the whole nine yards.

What does your username 'mean' or what inspired you to make your name what it is?

dougdirt
07-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Well, mine is dougdirt. Doug is my name, so that one worked out pretty good. Before I hurt my knee a year and a half ago, I used to ride BMX bikes and I really liked trails in my younger days more than anything else. Well in the summer when it was real dry it would get quite dusty and after a long day of riding, I always would be dirty. Well I needed a screen name when I was about 15 and dougdirt was the choice, but it was taken, so I went with dougdirt24 (Griffey at the time). But whenever dougdirt is available I will use it.
Here is a picture from the good ole days of riding....man I miss it.
http://myspace-531.vo.llnwd.net/00012/13/56/12486531_l.jpg

KittyDuran
07-03-2006, 03:05 PM
Had mine for years before the Internet as a nickname in fanzines, slambooks and fan clubs. Cathy is my real name but CathyDuran just didn't sound right, and as a rule you didn't use your real name for a nickname, so I went with a variation.

Oh, and I :luvu: Duran Duran :doh:

reds44
07-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Mine is about as plain as the come.

Reds44.

Take a guess at what it stands for?

WMR
07-03-2006, 03:19 PM
Mine is about as plain as the come.

Reds44.

Take a guess at what it stands for?

Hmmm... you're a communist Dirty Harry fan? ;)

Tommyjohn25
07-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Don't know really, I guess because every baseball fan knows about Tommy John, and I was 25 years old when I joined. I never had to have the surgery myself, but in the spirit of being a Reds fan and having so many "can't miss" prospects have it in the past, I figured it fit. Plus it has a nice ring to it I think. ;)

Cool thread!

It8ifyifitsgrif
07-03-2006, 04:01 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZp7oV6gRTY

Mine is from the best old sportcenter commericial in which Kenny Mayne is "practicing his highlights" with a Seattle Griffey HR. Dan Patrick previously starts by stating that the anchors never pre plan their calls but just shoot from the hip.

Calls by Mayne included:

It's never iffy if it's Griffey.

but thats was obviously too long so I shortened it the best I could

IslandRed
07-03-2006, 04:07 PM
I lived in Florida on a well-known barrier island when I joined RedsZone, thus the name. Shortly thereafter I moved. Oh well.

WVRed
07-03-2006, 04:08 PM
I'm a Reds fan, and i'm from West Virginia.:)

KronoRed
07-03-2006, 04:18 PM
Krono is from Kronos..the misspelling of the Klingon home world

Red is from the Reds..cause every name should have Red in it

:D

halcyon
07-03-2006, 04:31 PM
halcyon has an alternate definition of : idyllically calm and peaceful; suggesting happy tranquillity; "a halcyon atmosphere".

I always liked the word. I'd rather be serene (and calmly logical) than the opposite.

RBA
07-03-2006, 04:33 PM
My blood is Red and I'm an American. ;)

IowaRed
07-03-2006, 04:50 PM
Simple really-my favorite type of grass is Bluebunch Wheatgrass which just happens to be the state grass of Iowa. My third favorite color is red so I decided that IowaRed would make sense.

Joseph
07-03-2006, 04:59 PM
My name is Joseph. Pretty simple. I used to go for the catchy username, but it got boring so I went simple. :)

LawFive
07-03-2006, 05:28 PM
The rules of soccer are divided into seventeen main '"laws". Law 5 is the one that describies the responsibilities of, and empowers, the referee.

Tom Servo
07-03-2006, 05:53 PM
http://www.nealbridges.com/bots/servo/servo1.jpg
This guy (err...puppet), from one of the greatest shows ever, Mystery Science Theater 3000.

I figured it worked as a name on a Reds forum because he's red.:beerme:

captainmorgan07
07-03-2006, 06:51 PM
somebody on my high school baseball team gave me teh name cause my last name is morgan they called me it ever since

pedro
07-03-2006, 06:57 PM
Pedro Borbon

MrCinatit
07-03-2006, 07:06 PM
Back in my roll-playing days, I created a character called Mr. Cinatit, because of my interest in the Titanic (the ship, not the movie).
The name has since stuck.

redhawkfish
07-03-2006, 07:13 PM
Mine is really simple.

I went to Miami, and I love to fish.

guttle11
07-03-2006, 07:30 PM
Nickname in school, like Barry Larkin.

gonelong
07-03-2006, 08:46 PM
I "went long" on a stock and wanted to post on that board, thus gonelong. It has no baseball background in the least, just decided to use that moniker here as well.

GL

Jpup
07-03-2006, 08:46 PM
If I told you, I would have to kill you. :cool:

I've used the same username on forums for years. It's amazing how many people I see on several different sites that I use. There are guys on here that I know from 2 or 3 different sites.

oneupper
07-03-2006, 11:06 PM
oneupper: I can be competitive at times...:)

I use it all the time online, I'm oneupper on ebay and own the oneupper.net domain (someone beat me to oneupper.com).

I was the terror of the online LINGO league under that name too...

07-04-2006, 01:45 AM
When I got my first PC 7 or 8 years ago I had to register a user name on something long forgotten for the first time, so I went with hoosier919191. I am a hoosier and I figured 919191 would be easy to remember. When we left the cincy.com board to start RZ I dropped the hoosier. I hate using a number actually.

My kids' names are 929292, 939393, and 949494.

RicFlair
07-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Named after "Naitch", the sixteen-time World Heavyweight Champion. I style and profile.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-04-2006, 02:18 AM
Also my AIM sn. Pretty much intial and name followed by #s for me. Nothing fancy

redsrule2500
07-04-2006, 04:32 AM
When I was around 12 years old I created this name on AIM.

It stuck.

chicoruiz
07-04-2006, 07:28 AM
I chose my handle in honor of Chico because he always remembered that baseball is just a game and that you're supposed to have fun with it. Occasionally some of us on the board forget that, especially when things are going bad.

Plus Chico's steal of home in 1964 was one of the coolest plays in Reds history, precipitating the Phillies' famous collapse.

RedsBaron
07-04-2006, 07:33 AM
I enjoy history, and "Peanuts," so I've long had some interest in the "Red Baron," the leading air ace in World War I. A few years ago I was thinking that "Reds Baron" might be a good nickname for a Reds player; I then decided to use it as my name here.

RFS62
07-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Reds Fan Since '62

I jumped on the bandwagon after the '61 pennant.

Wish I had come up with a more clever nickname like Spitball or Corkedbat or Crash Davis, but nooooooo.

RedRoser
07-04-2006, 10:49 AM
What RFS62 really means, but wouldn't tell you, is that he became a Reds' fan AFTER HE RETIRED IN 1962.
Wanna switch to BornARedin02, rfs??? :evil: ;)

---RedRoser

RedRoser
07-04-2006, 10:55 AM
My initials are RR; I am the planet's biggest Pete Rose fan, having idolized him when I was playing baseball as a youngster in the 60's; I felt that my username needed 'Red' in it somewhere; and wallah. . .RedRoser emerged, though you'll sometimes see me shorten it to just 'Roser when posting. Seems unAmerican to do so though, kinda like cutting Christmas down to
X-Mas. :cry:

---RedRoser

Blimpie
07-04-2006, 11:52 AM
Great topic, WilyMo!!!

I met some of my closest friends in life when I lived in an apartment complex around fifteen years ago. In one of the neighboring apartments to mine, those guys had a roommate who worked at Blimpie Sub & Salad Shop. Everybody would be kicking it at one of the apartments when he would come home from work completely disgusted with his life...in his little visor and Blimpie apron. Like this:

http://www.hillsdale.edu/collegian/127/127_12/features/town2.jpg

Much to Johnny's disdain, he was greeted by everyone as "Johnny Blimpie"....even long after after he quit his gig. He hated the nickname, but he was powerless to change it.

Then, for some unexplained reason, all of us began addressing each other with the surname 'Blimpie.' Matt Blimpie, Ed Blimpie, Mark Blimpie, Jim Blimpie, Dean Blimpie, Hank Blimpie, Steve Blimpie...you get the point. I don't resent the nickname..I wear it like a badge.

Redsland
07-04-2006, 12:55 PM
Mine combines the name of my team with my own last name.

Coincidentally, the moniker also describes where I live.

Danny Serafini
07-04-2006, 01:06 PM
Danny Serafini was the cheesiest Red I could think of when I signed up, harkening back to that glorious fall of 2003 when the team was signing anyone with a pulse to replace the injured and those who had departed through the fire sale. There were plenty of choices too, check out this group, 57 players in all:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/CIN/2003.shtml

I thought about Jim Chamblee or Mark Budzinski, but Serafini's complaints after the Reds didn't resign him ("I could've won 15 games for them") sealed it for me.

DropDocK
07-04-2006, 01:51 PM
Big fan of Doc Hollywood and his work with the Reds.

:rolleyes:

BoydsOfSummer
07-04-2006, 04:23 PM
My last name is Boyd. I love baseball. Bam! Perfect screenie.

macro
07-04-2006, 04:31 PM
Over the past few years, since marriage and children came along, I don't have the time to delve into the minute details of being a Reds fan like I once did, so I pretty much just watch as much of each game as I can, read the box scores, and follow the discussion here at RedsZone. In other words, I take a "macro" view of the Reds rather than a "micro" view.

This also means that my interest in the team is from a perspective of its overall history, rather than just the here-and-now.

Yes, I know it's cheesy. :laugh:

Coffeybro
07-05-2006, 12:28 AM
I'll let everyone here guess. :D

Roy Tucker
07-05-2006, 08:50 AM
My absolute favorite books as a kid were the John R. Tunis baseball books. Central to those books were Roy Tucker/the Kid from Tompkinsville books.

I always admired Roy in a schoolboy way but when I went back and read the books when I was older, I found they were darn fine books and well-written. Written in a 1940's/gee whiz style, they can be a bit corny. But they had quite a few central truths that I didn't realize when I was a kid reading them. But I think I absorbed a few of them. And actually, when Old Red Guard was around RZ, his writings reminded me a whole lot of Tunis. Do yourself a favor and go to Amazon and pick up a few. They are a great read.

I found this essay on Roy and baseball on the Internet a ways back. The web site has gone out of existence, but I saved a copy of it.

------------------------

Baseball Wisdom

Bill Wiser

My love for the game combined following the greats of the day (Sandy Koufax, Willie Mays, Roberto Clemente, Mickey Mantle) with reading the books of sportswriter John R. Tunis. Tunis, who died in 1975, had the remarkable gift of meshing all the excitement and drama of the game with fundamental issues of racial discrimination, anti-Semitism, teamwork and character.

In the first of three extracts from the book, The Kid from Tomkinsville,¹ Brooklyn Dodgers rookie Roy Tucker is sitting in the dark of his hotel room, despondent and discouraged. Team manager Dave Leonard has entered the room. Though it isn’t welcome at first, Roy gradually understands Dave’s message.

Here he was, sitting in the dark, feeling sorry for himself and thinking about Grandma and the farm, when all the time he ought to be forgetting what had happened and getting ready for another day. Now he began to have an appreciation of the game, of what it was all about, of how players made themselves stars despite physical handicaps, some weakness in the field or at bat, despite drawbacks of various sorts….

“Listen, boy, I’ve been through all this the same as you. Sure I’ve been through it; I remember when I broke in there was never anyone to tell me these things, though. No one ever told me my faults. I sat alone in a hotel room in the dark one night and saw myself with Utica on my shirt, the same as you. I had plenty of stumbles and tumbles.

Only I kep’ on a-plugging. I didn’t quit, see; I didn’t stop fighting. Look here, has a kid got it; that’s all I wanna know. No scout can crack open a kid’s head and find out, has he got guts. If he could, baseball would be a cinch. Every team would be the Yanks. So buck up, son. Forget this afternoon. Tomorrow’s another day; get out there and play ball.

“Oh, yeah, I thought I was hot stuff, but they soon showed me I didn’t have an idea what it was all about. Just when I got convinced I was a flop and waiting for that pink slip in the mail box, this old fella took me aside in the lobby of the hotel one night. Old George Conners, I never forgot. So I pass it along to you and don’t you forget it either. ‘Courage,’ says this old-timer, ‘courage is all life. Courage is all baseball. And baseball is all life; that’s why it gets under your skin.’”

At another critical juncture, Dave is at it again. This time Roy had actually packed his bags.

“They got under your skin today, the fans out there, didn’t they? You can’t take it, hey? Trouble with you is, you’re use to being Mr. Big. Had some luck, you did; lotta luck considering you had just a pretty fair country assortment. But you aren’t used to the tough side. You were gonna whang that pineapple out of the park in the ninth, and what happened? You struck out. Then you go to pieces… Can’t take it…

He pointed round the room at the suitcases, at the piles of clothes, at the half-opened drawers. “Cut and run this way; why, you can’t take it. ‘Course it was okay when things were going well, when you were a flash and a star and in every headline and the boys were giving you interviews and write-ups, all this Kid-from-Tomkinsville stuff, it was fine back in June pitching shut-out ball. We were all fresh in June, yes, and good, too. Not now. You can’t take it. There’s a saying down my way, Roy; maybe you heard it. I come from a great fishing country, and this is how they put it down there: Only the game fish swim upstream. Remember that, Roy, when you get back home… Well” – he rose – “too bad you can’t take it.”

Now he was really mad. Now he was fighting mad. He was mad at old Dave for the first time. “Can’t I? Says who?”

“I do. Otherwise you’d stay right here and help out a losing ball club.”

The kid stayed. When an injury ended his pitching career, that did not stop him from becoming a hitter – and a darn good one at that. But then he hit a slump.

When he got there he found a worried Dave, and for the first time he noticed new lines over the manager’s forehead. The strain was telling on him like everyone else. “Roy, sit down, boy. I’m sorry about the slump; you’ve been choking up, but it won’t last forever.”

“I can’t figure it out, Dave. I’ve changed my stance and it didn’t do a bit of good. Tried everything, been out swinging every morning…”

“Maybe you tried too much. Let me tell you what I think your trouble is. You haven’t been playing for Brooklyn the last month.”

“Not playing for Brooklyn?”

“Nope. You were playing for Roy Tucker… I’ll explain what I mean. Those sixteen – seventeen – how many was it – those home runs you made were about the worst thing that ever happened to you. Point is, when you began to close in on old Masterson you saw yourself in a flash leading this-here League in homers. The Kid from Tomkinsville. Another Joe DiMag, hey? Thought you were anyhow. You got homers on the brain….

“You didn’t even know it, didn’t realize it maybe, but it’s true. You forgot that you were playing for Brooklyn and stared playing for Tucker. You became – now what was it the sportswriters called you… oh, yes, ‘Bad News Tucker!’ I saw you that afternoon last month at home when the cameramen all gathered round the plate as you came over with your sixteenth home run, and I saw those kids chasing you for your autograph after the game. Why, the answer’s easy. You just forgot the team, Roy. That’s why I had to bench you.”

“Oh, I know, I’ve had it happen to me, more than once. The pitcher you always thought you owned can make a monkey of you. Stop thinking about it; don’t let it get under your skin. Next, remember that in this-here game they pay off not on homers, not even on your batting average either, but on one thing: your ability to bat in runs. Baseball’s a team game and don’t ever forget it.

“Here’s something practical. About your hitting, I mean. Trouble is you’ve tightened up, and every time you step in there you’re as tight as a steel rod. Lemme give you a tip. When you walk to the plate start whistling. What? Oh, anything at all… whistle ‘Yankee Doodle’ and it will loosen you up. Then wade in and smack the first good one. Try it and see. Now, boy, go downstairs and have a couple of beers, and then get on up to bed and forget it. Good night.”
Life is a continuum of victory and defeat, of success and failure. When we are too high up to see our teammates or too low down to even care if they exist, we need someone to go head-to-head with us and open our eyes.

I hope there is a Dave Leonard in your life; I’ve needed plenty in mine, and I’ve not always made it easy for them. But that’s life. And life is all baseball. And baseball’s a team sport. Don’t ever forget it.

¹ Originally published in 1940 and reprinted in 1987 by Harcourt Brace Jovanovich, Inc. An author’s note reads: “All the characters in this book were drawn from real life.”

Puffy
07-05-2006, 10:13 AM
I like the cheeba.

LincolnparkRed
07-05-2006, 10:23 AM
Mine is the neighborhood in Chicago that I live in plus Red, I didn't imagine anyone else would have this name but hopefully one day there will be LakeviewRed & GoldCoastred and maybe even BoystownRed.

gonelong
07-05-2006, 11:00 AM
My absolute favorite books as a kid were the John R. Tunis baseball books. Central to those books were Roy Tucker/the Kid from Tompkinsville books.

Sounds a bit like the Chip Hilton series minus a bit of the cheese (though still pretty thick).

I might have to check these out.

GL

Red Leader
07-05-2006, 11:03 AM
I like the cheeba.

Sonny: Man this Yoohoo is good, you know what else is good, smoking dope. I ain't gonna rat you out. You know, puffing the cheeba, go by the see saw smoke a j. You know what I'm talking about?
Jared: I have a belly button.
Sonny: You have a belly button, well we all have belly buttons. You know what? We all love Yoohoo, especially Yoohoo with a little rum.
Jared: What's rum?
Sonny: You don't know what Rum is?
Jared: Rumplestilskin?
Sonny: Rumplestilskin's a good man. So are you guys. Hey, stay clean, stay focused, stay strong. Frankenstein, have fun with your friends.

RichRed
07-05-2006, 11:50 AM
Then, for some unexplained reason, all of us began addressing each other with the surname 'Blimpie.' Matt Blimpie, Ed Blimpie, Mark Blimpie, Jim Blimpie, Dean Blimpie, Hank Blimpie, Steve Blimpie...you get the point. I don't resent the nickname..I wear it like a badge.

So you guys are the sub-shop version of the Ramones. :)

Mine's easy. Name is Rich and I'm a - surprise! - Reds fan. Brilliant in its simplicity, really. Or maybe just really lame and unoriginal. You be the judge.

Matt700wlw
07-05-2006, 02:08 PM
Mine's easy. ;)

KronoRed
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
I'm guessing you're Matt :D

Heath
07-05-2006, 02:44 PM
I'm guessing you're Matt :D

and he works for 700 WLW... :D

I guess I'm from the Joseph School of Internet Handle Naming. And, no, I don't like Heath Bars.

SunDeck
07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
My username is obvious now, but I picked it honor of the original sundeck/moondeck at Crosley. As it turned out, they reproduced that area at the GABP, which I thought was kind of cool.

RedsManRick
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
Reds (the team)

Man (as opposed to woman)

Rick (as in Richard)

Complicated stuff...... creativity is not my strong suit.

Johnny Footstool
07-05-2006, 03:04 PM
I considered "Johnny Ottoman", but I didn't want people thinking I was Turkish or something.

I was almost "Johnny Chaise Lounge", but that was a bit too ostentatious.

"Johnny Sofa" or "Johnny Couch" just didn't have the right verbal rhythm.

Reds Nd2
07-05-2006, 03:05 PM
I considered "Johnny Ottoman", but I didn't want people thinking I was Turkish or something.

I was almost "Johnny Chaise Lounge", but that was a bit too ostentatious.

"Johnny Sofa" or "Johnny Couch" just didn't have the right verbal rhythm.

:laugh:

RedsFan75
07-05-2006, 03:19 PM
I followed the Reds since about 68 and as far as I'm concerned 1975 was the best summer of baseball ever, followed closely by the best World Series Ever! AND, I'm a RedsFan!

zombie-a-go-go
07-05-2006, 04:49 PM
I'm still not certain.

vaticanplum
07-05-2006, 04:58 PM
Mine was a rejected band name. I just like the sound of it. It originally came from my friend overhearing a conversation between two elderly Quaker women in Pennsylvania, during which one of the women misunderstood the other.

Falls City Beer
07-05-2006, 05:13 PM
When I was a student at the U. of Louisville I worked in the kitchen of a restaurant to earn extra cash, and over the course of that year there I got to know the insane dishwasher. He would take what he called "beer breaks." And of course his beverage (though not necessarily his beverage of choice--merely the exigencies of poverty forced upon him) was the incomparable Falls City Beer.

And like me, it's undrinkable and unpalatable. Here's to beer breaks.

cumberlandreds
07-05-2006, 06:58 PM
I'm originally from Cumberland,KY and I am a Reds fan. So there you go.

Sweetstop
07-05-2006, 07:09 PM
Mine was a rejected band name. I just like the sound of it. It originally came from my friend overhearing a conversation between two elderly Quaker women in Pennsylvania, during which one of the women misunderstood the other.

I do love a sense of humor...a sense of the absurd!

Caveat Emperor
07-05-2006, 11:38 PM
I like the cheeba.

Do I have some ethical duty to report you now that I know that? :laugh:

Caveat Emperor
07-05-2006, 11:43 PM
Caveat Emperor is a bit of a worldplay --

On one hand, it's a frequent misquote of the legal term: "Caveat Emptor" which is standard legalese for "let the buyer beware." I figured it'd be fitting for a law student and a Star Wars fan.

On the other hand, it's also latin for "King of Qualifications," which I was always accused of by friends when talking about sports. I was always fond of the "Yeah, he might be OK, but..." arguments when discussing players.

I made it up on the spot when I needed a username and wanted to do something different than usual.

smith288
07-06-2006, 12:19 AM
My last name and my dad's badge number from the force.

He has accused me of identity theft since he has gotten road runner.

Blimpie
07-06-2006, 09:16 AM
So you guys are the sub-shop version of the Ramones. :)
I never thought of it that way before. Come to think of it, I like your summary better.

WebScorpion
07-06-2006, 04:24 PM
My father was a big CB fanatic, so he gave me a CB radio for my car (and helped install it and 'match' the antenna, etc.) and every time I was headed into or out of town we talked on the CB (him at home and me in the car) and my handle was Red Scorpion - I am a Scorpio and drove a red car at the time. When the World Wide Web was invented by Al Gore, I found myself in need of another 'handle' so I dropped the Red and became a Scorpion of the Web, thus WebScorpion. I've used the moniker everywhere since some time in the 90's...my wife even knew me as WebScorpion before she knew my name. When I joined RedsZone I considered dropping the 'Web' and returning to the quite fitting Red Scorpion, but for some reason I resisted the urge. So there it is. :beerme:

Roy Tucker
07-06-2006, 05:12 PM
One of my favorite hobbies is to pluck rock band names out of everyday conversation. Our latest one is "Grandma Forgot Her Pants" (long story behind this that seemed hilarious at the time and I almost got us kicked out of a restaurant).

Also... http://www.davebarry.com/rockbandlist.html

HotCorner
07-06-2006, 05:17 PM
28 = Kearns
44 = Dunn

Now the code has been cracked I must kill you all. ;)

goreds2
07-06-2006, 06:18 PM
About seven years ago when I signed onto IWON.COM, I tried to do the user name goreds. It said someone else had it. I tried goreds1 then it finally accepted goreds2. The rest is history? ;)

vaticanplum
07-06-2006, 06:24 PM
One of my favorite hobbies is to pluck rock band names out of everyday conversation. Our latest one is "Grandma Forgot Her Pants" (long story behind this that seemed hilarious at the time and I almost got us kicked out of a restaurant).

I like Gastic Contents and Hearty Polyp Chuckles.

Roller Derby Girls names are fun too. My theoretical Roller Derby girl name is Helena Handbasket.

dabvu2498
07-07-2006, 10:45 AM
I like Gastic Contents and Hearty Polyp Chuckles.

Roller Derby Girls names are fun too. My theoretical Roller Derby girl name is Helena Handbasket.
That reminds me of this site:

http://test.recordstore.com/wuname/wuname.pl/wuname.pl

Tells you what your name would be if you were in WuTang Clan. Fun stuff.

Sincerely,
Monolithic Fishmonger-X

Danny Serafini
07-07-2006, 10:51 AM
I just tried that Wu Tang site. It told me my name was Big Gay Mule. :eek:

vaticanplum
07-07-2006, 11:00 AM

Sincerely,
Monolithic Fishmonger-X

Monolithic, that is sweet. My Wu name is Bilious Bad Janitah. Which, coincidentally, is my actual name as well.

RichRed
07-07-2006, 11:03 AM

My buddies and I like doing this too. For a while, I was partial to Puppies For Sale as a band name, from a sign we saw on someone's front lawn, with the debut album being titled 'Bloodworms & Cigarettes,' from a sign we saw on a general store.

If only I had an iota of musical talent so I could put some of these names to use. :)

dabvu2498
07-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Monolithic, that is sweet. My Wu name is Bilious Bad Janitah. Which, coincidentally, is my actual name as well.
Bilious... nice.

RichRed
07-07-2006, 11:06 AM

Gorky's Zygotic Glove Puppet, at your service.

RFS62
07-07-2006, 11:28 AM
Big Wicker Ventriloquist

KittyDuran
07-07-2006, 12:37 PM
Tha 23rd Buchan

HotCorner
07-07-2006, 12:38 PM

Sincerely,
Monolithic Fishmonger-X

Thanks!

Yours Truly,
Ultra-Chronic Monstah

registerthis
07-07-2006, 02:08 PM
My nick was actually born froom a momentary fit of angst on the RedsZone Board.

I'd lurked around here for well over a year, reading people's opinions and just enjoying the anonymity of it all. Then, one day, I went to visit the site, and lo and behold I discovered that visitors could no longer view the redsZone forums for whatever reason. I now had to register with the site if I wanted to continue viewing it. Well, I never had any intentions of posting, and I was more than a bit annoyed that I now had to register just to view the site, even if I wasn't going to post on it. So I decided to use registerthis as a jab at forcing me to register with the site.

Of course, 3,000+ posts later, here I am, lol. I thought about changing it a couple of times after I started posting regularly because, really, it's just not very nice...but people came to know me under this nick and I just decided, what the hey, I'll keep it.

I used to post on the old Reds.com board under a different moniker, but that one has been mothballed--mainly because there are still some people who would probably like to hunt me down if they could. ;)

FIRELEFT
07-07-2006, 03:30 PM
In the Past I have used DEACON. (Big Steely Dan Fan) In my youth I used this in bars when someone would ask me my name. (DEACON BLUE)
However, about a year ago wanted to change things and my nephew had a tat of a baseball on fire, which was on his left arm.
I thought just the right amount of cheese.
and my wu name: Jive Talkin' Choirboy

Caveat Emperor
07-07-2006, 04:01 PM
That Wu-Tang name generator is fun and all, but just be careful. I have it on good authority that the Wu-Tang Clan ain't nothing to - well, let's just say they're nothing to mess with.

So sayeth the GZA (and that guy's a genius).

Highlifeman21
07-07-2006, 04:25 PM
During my college years, I developed an extreme fondness for the Champagne of Beers: Miller High Life.

This was due largely to my amusement at some of the best ads ever created for a brand.

My one college roommate and I became so fixated on the commercial with the faucet and the tag line "Hot.... Cold..... Miller High Life" where the guy is doing his own plumbing, so to speak, and installs a beer line in his sink. Thus, we came up with the great idea to build our own kegerator.

After that, I was known in some circles as The Highlifeman.

21 was a number I wore regularly in HS, so Highlifeman21 was born.

And yes, I still drink Miller High Life. Have some in my fridge right now.

dabvu2498
07-07-2006, 04:36 PM
So sayeth the GZA (and that guy's a genius).
My fave t-shirt is "RIP ODB"

My wife thinks it's some dead ballplayer... Lots of grass cut in that shirt.

Dom Heffner
07-07-2006, 06:32 PM
I use it all the time online, I'm oneupper on ebay and own the oneupper.net domain (someone beat me to oneupper.com).

There is something extremely funny about this.

To one up him, you should have taken "The real oneupper.com."

I think everyone knows this but mine was designed as a parody of the old Don Heffner who used to post on the old enquirer.com Reds board. I would post as his long lost brother and just basically mock his posts. He was hilarious but it was even funnier to have a parallel post to his. He would come up with obscure baseball player's names so then I would post the names of obscure game show hosts and celebrities. I don't think he liked me very much. :)

I sort of liked the name so I kept it. You haven't lived until you've been addressed as "Dom" by GAC. It's awesome.

Dom Heffner
07-07-2006, 06:43 PM
I used to post on the old Reds.com board under a different moniker, but that one has been mothballed--mainly because there are still some people who would probably like to hunt me down if they could.

Nuxie?

If that's you, I have got to take my hat off to you. There was this one post that Nux put up that had me laughing so hard my ribs hurt. It had to do with a seat cushion left behind at Riverfront Stadium the prior year and Nux was asking for all of us on the board to keep an eye out for it....and people actually responded saying they were going to do so....oh man, just this entire thread of people wanting to know what section, row, seat number....as if this thing would be there the next season. It sounded like it was a serious post written by a 90 year old man...it was sweet but it was totally putting one over on everybody.

Guess you had to be there. :)

Falls City Beer
07-07-2006, 10:50 PM
Nuxie?

If that's you, I have got to take my hat off to you. There was this one post that Nux put up that had me laughing so hard my ribs hurt. It had to do with a seat cushion left behind at Riverfront Stadium the prior year and Nux was asking for all of us on the board to keep an eye out for it....and people actually responded saying they were going to do so....oh man, just this entire thread of people wanting to know what section, row, seat number....as if this thing would be there the next season. It sounded like it was a serious post written by a 90 year old man...it was sweet but it was totally putting one over on everybody.

Guess you had to be there. :)

Nuxie ruled.

So did Nutholio de Nux.

Internet flaming bags of poo, both of them.

registerthis
07-10-2006, 12:24 PM
Nuxie?

Nope, sorry. I don't think I remember him, honestly. I used to get into a lot with a guy called "FRB". I think he was from Chicago. Dunno what happened to him. I think people called him furball.

Blimpie
07-10-2006, 02:39 PM
In the Past I have used DEACON. (Big Steely Dan Fan) In my youth I used this in bars when someone would ask me my name. (DEACON BLUE)However, about a year ago wanted to change things and my nephew had a tat of a baseball on fire, which was on his left arm.
I thought just the right amount of cheese.
and my wu name: Jive Talkin' ChoirboyJust curious, but was this name based upon the band from Scotland by the same name?

Blimpie
07-10-2006, 02:41 PM
I just tried that Wu Tang site. It told me my name was Big Gay Mule. :eek:Alarmingly-Named Wolfman here.....

FIRELEFT
07-10-2006, 03:06 PM
I think the Band from England got it's name from the song by Steely Dan.

Blimpie
07-10-2006, 03:17 PM
I think the Band from England got it's name from the song by Steely Dan.Being as though you are a fan of Steely Dan, I am sure that you are aware that their song is entitled, "Deacon Blues." Whereas, the Scotish band to which I am referring (circa 1987-2001) went by the singular form known as "Deacon Blue."

Just curious if you had ever heard their music or were a fan.

FIRELEFT
07-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Yes I did know that. I did not know they were Scottish thought they were English.
Had a friend that was a fan but I never got into them. Not sure why I didn't
Memory first thing to go. :thumbup:
You have inspired me to give them a listen again.

BuckWoody
07-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Like a lot of you have mentioned about your own, mine didn't get a lot of thought put into it. I needed a user name for something and this one popped into my head and I've used it at a number of places since. Buck is short for Buckeye and Woody is for Wayne Woodrow Hayes.

O! H!

Danny Serafini
07-12-2006, 09:51 AM
I! O!

BuckWoody
07-12-2006, 10:19 AM
I! O!
:thumbup: