PDA

View Full Version : Soo..What Could be "Available" Via Trade?

TheBigLebowski
07-04-2006, 01:52 AM
Each and every time our bullpen either blows a game or puts the outcome of an ostensibly 'sure' win in jeopardy (more simply stated, every time we have to go to our 'pen), we heave and moan for bullpen help.

Predictably, each and every time the subject comes up, someone mentions the fact that it is July (same goes for April/May/June), and there really isn't anything available this time of year.

I beg to differ.

Following is a list of teams who are out of it, or very close. These are teams that know there is no post-season in store for them this year.

AL East:

Baltimore. 39-45, 4th place in the division, behind the BoSox and Yanks. Quite a few intruiging Bully prospects here.

Chris Britton, RHP. 23 years old. 6'3"/278 lbs. 2.51 ERA. In 28.2 IP, has K'd 28 and BB'd 9. Probably would not have to give up much to get him, and would likely help this bully, although he is not a long relief candidate. Also low salary

LaTroy Hawkins, RHP. You all know who he is. Has a 3.82 ERA this year, 14 k/9 bb in 35.1 IP this season. Not a world-beater, but a guy who could help us out immensely. Might not have to give up much to get him, but does come with a moderately high price tag/4.4 mil this year.

Todd Williams, RHP. 35 years old. 6'3", 219. 3.90 ERA in 194 career IP. Moderately effective MR who should come cheap. Would be an immediate improvement.

Tampa Bay:

Shawn Camp, RHP. Career ERA of 4.58; this year 3.13. Not a young guy who projects to have a lot of future value, so it wouldn't cost us Drew Stubbs to get him. Cheap contract as well. Could be a guy who could do us some good.

Ruddy Lugo, RHP. Young pitcher (24 y/o) who may be TB's closer of the future. May not be interested in dealing him.

Jae Seo, RHP. Starter the Rays just acq who is painfully average in that role, but might be nice in middle relief. 30 year old who does not project to be anything special, and cannot help the Rays in any tangible way. Could be a guy who could help us in a middle-to-long-relief role. Makes 350k this year, so he comes cheap.

Dan Miceli, 35 y/o m/r. Started out as the Rays' closer, but failed miserably. Honestly, as bad as our bully is, he cannot help us. Danger, Wayne Krivsky...

Seth McClung, 25 y/o starter who has been pulled from the rotation. Many speculated he would replace erstwhile closer Tyler Walker while he was injured. Comes cheap (343k this year), but just isn't good at pitching. Might make an adequate middle reliever someday, but likely will be out of baseball in 2 years. Hope we stay away here.

**Note - the Rays have tons of other guys who could have been mentioned here, but I left them out in the interest of brevity. None of the guys I ignored (with the exception of Tyler Walker - left him out as it appears the Rays want him to be their long-term answer at closer) will factor into our future plans.

AL Central:

Cleveland Indians:

Rafael Betancourt, RHP. 31 yr old career reliever w/an ERA of 5.40 this year, and a career ERA of 3.36. He qualifies as a "veteran," and his skills seem to be decreasing with age. He's the kind of guy Jerry Narron would love. Let's hope Krivsky has no interest. Makes 365k this year.

Guillermo Mota, RHP. 32 year old flame-throwing righty who never fixed things after being installed as FLA's closer to begin the '05 season and imploding in the role. Has nasty stuff and throws hard, but is very hittable. Would be nice to take a chance on a guy like this, and CLE will be more than willing to unload him and his 3.0 mil salary, but we sure can't afford it and, quite frankly, he's not worth the $$$$$$$$$.

Danny Graves, RHP. 32 Year old former closer for the Cincinnati Reds who has grown out his hair after being denied a spot in the boy band "98 Degrees" for a 5th time. Opposing hitters are batting a robust .305 against the Pop Idol this year. If the Reds bring him back, I will personally choke Wayne Krivsky with the tube sock Danny Graves shoves in his jock strap.

Scott Sauerbeck, LHP. 34 yr old recently-released MR. Makes 1.2 mil this year. May be a little too much to pay for a guy who just isn't getting batters out this year. However, was born in Cincinnati. Rick White was a hometown guy as well.

Kansas City:

Todd Wellemeyer, RHP. 27 yr old who makes 347,500 this year. Claimed by the Royals after being released by the Fish. Throws hard and can be nasty at times. Better than almost anyone we have in our pen not named "Coffey." Honestly, we should have claimed him when he was available.

Jeremy Affeldt, LHP. 27 yr old former closer who makes 1 mil this year. Career 4.81 era. Couple of injuries in his past. We wouldn't have to give up a lot to get this guy, and he could replace the recently-released Hammond, Kent Mecker, or hell - both. Royals would almost assuredly be willing to deal him to rid the 1 mil salary and add a minor leaguer.

Jimmy Gobble, LHP. 31 yr old middle reliever, former starter. 3.67 ERA this year, 5.05 career. Moonlighted as a starter, but has settled nicely into a relief role this season. Makes 345,500/yr and could come cheap.

AL West:

All teams are conceivably still in contention, although the Angels are closest to being sellers. They could offer guys like Donnelly and Shields. If they fold and we remain in contention after the upcoming month, they are a likely trading partner. Do not discount the possibility of us dealing a young OF (Kearns?) to them for Ervin Santana.

NL East:

Florida Marlins:

Franklyn German, RHP. 6'7' 26 yr old who was once seen as a future closer. Recently DFA'd by Florida. Cleared waivers on June 10th and was sent to their AAA affiliate. Again, I know he's no Lee Smith, but he's gotta be better than Esteban Yan and Dave Weathers, and he did briefly close in the past. May be worth a flyer, and he would come cheap.

Joe Borowski, RHP. 35 yr old closer for the Marlins. Makes 327k this year. Fish MGR Joe Girardi has publicly expressed a desire to let guys like Taylor Tankersley and Logan Kensing try their hands at closing, and it is no secret Borowski is not in their future plans. Cheap salary, and would not require a big name prospect to land. Pitching well this year. Could resume closing duties for Cincy and send Coffey back to set up duty, where he is clearly more effective. I really hope Krivsky at least calls about Joe.

Ricky Nolasco, RHP. 23 yr old pitcher who has started 9 games for FLA and relieved in 11. Makes 327k. Talented pitcher who may command a prospect or two in trade, but could help the Reds. However, Marlins are only 1.0 game behind Philly in the division. May have to wait until they are completely eliminated to think of acquiring Ricky.

Atlanta:

Perennial winner struggling mightily this year; perhaps the only NL team with a bullpen that can even be mentioned in the same breath as ours. Appears former starter Jorge Sosa has assumed closer duties. Former Red and Opening Day Closer Chris Reitsma is on the DL. Guys like Kenny Ray, Mike Remlinger, Macay McBride, and Oscal Villareal are critical to their success, and the Braves will NOT be sellers this year unless they are mathematically eliminated at the ASB. Forget John Smoltz. Besides, the Braves always fleece us in trades.

Washington:

Jon Rauch, RHP. 6'11" MR making 335k. 3.23 season ERA in 42 IP. 46 K/18 BB. Could be available, although it seems to me the Nats do not think they are in rebuilding mode. Could step in and provide immediate help for the Reds. Nats are nowhere near playoff contention.

Gary Majewski, RHP. 26 yr old MR w/a 3.20 ERA. Quality MR who makes 352,500 this year. A young guy who probably factors into WASH's future plans, but could be dealt, I would assume. Price tag likely too high for Cincy.

Felix Rodriguez, RHP. 33 yr old MR w/a 6.85 ERA. Used to be a formidable MR who seemed to be on his way to a career as a dominant closer. Now stinks and makes 800k per year. Stay away.

Mike Stanton, LHP. 39 yr old MR. Useful everywhere he's been. Could help Cincy w/o a doubt. 1 mil salary. Would be a nice pickup. Veteran who could also provide a nice presence in the clubhouse. 4.76 ERA this year. Not what he once was but, again, would undoubtedly help. Marked improvement over Shack/Mercker.

NL Central:

Cubs and Pirates are both definitely out of it, but won't make any significant deals with a division rival. Would love to lift Howry from CHI and Hernandez from PIT, but I just don't see it happening; at least right now. Another intriguing idea is to try to trade with PIT for Oliver Perez.

NL West:

All teams are still very much in the race. No real trade opportunities out there.

__________________________________________________ _______________

While there may not be any Cy Young candidates available on the cheap, think it's clear that there are guys out there who can help this team.

While it would be great to have the Nasty Boys all over again, we do not need that to make the playoffs this year. What we need to do is pick up a couple of good bullpen arms without giving up our few blue-chip minor league prospects. There are guys in the above list who could be Reds tomorrow if need be.

Let's do something, Wayne. "Blow it up. Make it yours."

Jpup
07-04-2006, 01:59 AM
Sauerbeck was signed by Oakland.

I would hope that Krivsky would aim higher than recycled junk. :help:

TheBigLebowski
07-04-2006, 02:01 AM
He has signed recycled junk already. Point is, there may be better recycled junk out there.

Jpup
07-04-2006, 02:04 AM
He has signed recycled junk already. Point is, there may be better recycled junk out there.

Greg Maddux?

My theory is that the Reds need to improve the starting rotation, thus improving the bullpen. I would go after Brett Myers to start with.

TheBigLebowski
07-04-2006, 02:07 AM
Greg Maddux?

My theory is that the Reds need to improve the starting rotation, thus improving the bullpen. I would go after Brett Myers to start with.

This thread was mainly directed towards possible bullpen help. We've had plenty of Maddux discussion.

I would love to see us pursue Brett Myers, but Philly ain't letting go of him.

Besides, improving the starting pitching is worthy of another thread.

kheidg-
07-04-2006, 02:58 AM
I would probably take a chance on Hawkins or Mota given that the Indians/Orioles would pick up part of their remaining salaries. Borowski also wouldn't be a bad reliever depending on what he makes.

Franklyn German, RHP. 6'7' 26 yr old who was once seen as a future closer. Recently DFA'd by Florida. Cleared waivers on June 10th and was sent to their AAA affiliate. Again, I know he's no Lee Smith, but he's gotta be better than Esteban Yan and Dave Weathers, and he did briefly close in the past. May be worth a flyer, and he would come cheap.

Last I checked, Franklyn German was getting lit up in AAA ball.

Todd Wellemeyer, RHP. 27 yr old who makes 347,500 this year. Claimed by the Royals after being released by the Fish. Throws hard and can be nasty at times. Better than almost anyone we have in our pen not named "Coffey." Honestly, we should have claimed him when he was available
Wellemeyer may be worth more than Yan, but that's not saying a whole lot. After all, he did have a ERA border 6.00 all three years with the Cubs.

Chris Britton, RHP. 23 years old. 6'3"/278 lbs. 2.51 ERA. In 28.2 IP, has K'd 28 and BB'd 9. Probably would not have to give up much to get him, and would likely help this bully, although he is not a long relief candidate. Also low salary

He'd actually take a good prospect get. His stats last year at high A were 6-0, 1.60 ERA, 110/28 (K/BB) in 78 IP.

KronoRed
07-04-2006, 03:19 AM
I thought Graves was released?

No matter, if he were brought back a full scale riot would take place at GAB

Outshined_One
07-04-2006, 03:54 AM
NL Central:

Cubs and Pirates are both definitely out of it, but won't make any significant deals with a division rival.

I wouldn't go that far. While you worry about guys coming back to haunt you within your own division, teams will make trades as long as they feel they are getting a good deal on their own end, no matter who they are dealing with. Heck, the Pirates made a pretty big one with the Cubs back in 2003 with the Ramirez/Lofton deal.

Williamson will probably be had for pennies on the dollar. He came out a day or two ago and basically trashed the way Dusty handled the team. Despite later retracting his statements, I think his days are numbered, considering the front office does not want any malcontents.

I have a feeling Maddux will end up with the Padres or Dodgers. He's said he wants to stay in the NL on numerous occasions and would like to be near his home in Las Vegas if traded. He does not have a NTC, but the Cubs have told him that they would seek his approval if they traded him.

Howry and Eyre will garner interest given their success this year, but given the massive bullpen issues the Cubs have had in recent years, it might cost another team for their services. Ditto Dempster, although his effectiveness has been wavering lately.

Kerry Wood has a NTC and has said on a number of occasions that he wants to stay in Chicago. Given his health, the Cubs probably wouldn't get much for him in the current market.

An interesting name to mull over is Wade Miller. He's currently rehabbing in the minor leagues, but he should be back at full strength by month's end. He only signed a one year deal with the Cubs and could be cheaper to acquire with a higher upside than some of the other options out there. Just be aware that he has stated that he has no interest in moving to the bullpen.

And there's no way the Marlins would think about trading Nolasco unless they got plenty back in return. He's young, he's talented, he's cheap, and he'll be under their control for years.

redsrule2500
07-04-2006, 04:19 AM
Williamson...

KronoRed
07-04-2006, 04:43 AM
Don't give up much for Willie..his arm is due to pop again soon

Krusty
07-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Guys I would be pursuing:

Seattle: RHPs Rafael Soriano and J.J. Putz, LHP George Sherrill.

Angels: RHP Brenden Donelley

Florida: RHP Joe Borowski

Chicago Cubs: RHP Bobby Howry, RHP Scott Williamson, LHP Scott Eyre

Pirates: LHP Damaso Marte, RHP Roberto Hernandez

Phillies: RHP Brett Myers (can't hurt to inquire), LHP Rheal Cormier

alexad
07-04-2006, 10:52 AM

I like Borowski and I think we could get Matt Herges thrown in there also. He is not pitching bad for the fish.

If we are going to go for it this year, I would try to get Williamson from the Cubs. His arm might fall off next year, but we need him for this year. To go for it means to get the best pitcher available right now and not worry about what he might do next year. I think Roberto Hernandez would be a good fit..

I think we should try to get Jose Mesa from the Rockies to close for us.

redsfan4445
07-04-2006, 10:55 AM

I would add Scott Strickland (AAA Pirates) as well.. he is 3-1, 4 saves a 1.45 ERA, in 43.1 innings he has 39 k's and only 9 walks.. and he was really good with the expos before hurting his arm.. he got that fixed and he is doing a heck of a job compared to waht we got here!!

redsfan4445
07-04-2006, 11:02 AM
I would add Scott Strickland (AAA Pirates) as well.. he is 3-1, 4 saves a 1.45 ERA, in 43.1 innings he has 39 k's and only 9 walks.. and he was really good with the expos before hurting his arm.. he got that fixed and he is doing a heck of a job compared to waht we got here!!

here is a link to his career stats.. this is a pitcher that was doing very good till he got hurt. look at his stats.. this guy should be traded for..

http://fantasybaseball.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_MLB_career.asp?sport=MLB&leaguenum=&id=2877

Sabo Fan
07-04-2006, 11:17 AM
See what Cleveland wants for Mota. I know he's struggled but the guy looked good over the weekend and still brings it about 96. He was lights out two years ago and I think he's due to turn it around. I'd also inquire as to who is available in Seattle, but be wary of the Safeco effect. Marte is another guy I'm intrigued by and we are talking about the Pirates here. Heck, maybe they want to purge themselves of all capable bullpen help and Mike Gonzalez is available. Never hurts to ask.

I want Krivsky to focus mainly on bargain shopping unless something huge presents itself. This team is too young to go and mortage the future at the expense of trying to make a playoff run this season. Instead, look for youngish bullpen help on bad ballclubs and try to swindle them a bit. Pick out a couple of undervalued guys and focus on them, pitchers who can help you both this year and in the future. If anyone asks about Dunn, Kearns, EdE, Phillips, Lopez, Harang, Arroyo, Bailey or Bruce, just hang up the phone because they obviously don't get it. I don't want this team to make a move that helps them win the wildcard or the division this year just to be bounced in the first round and then regret overpaying two years from now.

TheBigLebowski
07-04-2006, 11:28 AM
I like the idea of bringing over Jose Mesa to probably close, and I'd also be in favor of bringing Willy back.

Looking through this thread, it simply amazes me how bad our bullpen is. Easily the worst in the ML, and probably worst in franchise history.

flyer85
07-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I still like Affeldt, Marte and Wuertz

pedro
07-04-2006, 11:50 AM
Predictably, each and every time the subject comes up, someone mentions the fact that it is July (same goes for April/May/June), and there really isn't anything available this time of year.

Despite what you say the trade market really hasn't heated up yet as is evidenced by the lack of trades made by any other teams either.

The Reds are not alone in their need of pitching help.

Chip R
07-04-2006, 11:57 AM
I wouldn't believe that Willie's criticisms of Big Dust is going to send him out of town. If the Cubs love Dusty so much, why haven't they given him that extention? I agree with Krono, though and think that elbow could go kerflooey at any time now. Wood, I believe has an option for next year that it doesn't seem likely the Cubs will pick up. I want to pick up Michael Wuertz just so our bullpen can go from bad to Wuertz. ;)

Seriously, those are some interesting names. Problem is, what price do we pay for one or two of those pitchers? Do you part with a Denorfia? What about Jay Bruce or Johnny Cueto or even Homer? What about Kearns? Maybe we have to give up EE in a trade. You have to think Wayne would listen if someone offered pitching for EE.

redsrule2500
07-04-2006, 12:19 PM
I think we should try to get Jose Mesa from the Rockies to close for us.

:bang: Noooo...

LoganBuck
07-04-2006, 01:45 PM
:bang: Noooo...

Instead of saying no, perhaps a better suggestion? Not a personal slam, but look at the flotsam in our bullpen. Jose Mesa is a major upgrade. :eek:

membengal
07-04-2006, 01:49 PM
I am willing to make Jerry Narron available as a throw-in to whatever deal the Reds can make to add a bullpen arm...

Eric_Davis
07-05-2006, 05:00 PM
Excellent post Lebo! Thanks for the spending the time to research so thoroughly how the REDS could be helped where they need it the most. They clearly need to upgrade their pitching staff with 4 or 5 new pitchers....it would be a great beginning for them to get two of the pitchers that are on your list, and with the addition of three of them, they would have a great opportunity at making the playoffs and winning a first round series.

flyer85
07-05-2006, 05:03 PM
last year it was a inactive market, I honestly expect the same this year as it seems likely to be an overpriced sellers market because so many teams are still in the hunt.

BRM
07-05-2006, 05:08 PM
I am willing to make Jerry Narron available as a throw-in to whatever deal the Reds can make to add a bullpen arm...

:laugh:

Nice thought.

registerthis
07-05-2006, 05:27 PM
I still like Affeldt, Marte and Wuertz

Affeldt--No.

Marte and/or Wuertz--maybe.

I like Jon Rauch of the Nats. I htink he could be a great addition to the pen.

Rojo
07-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Affeldt will be cheap, roll the dice, the season's getting away from us.