PDA

View Full Version : Trade Kearns

WMR
07-04-2006, 12:48 PM
If the Reds are going to trade an 'everyday-player' for pitching, Kearns would be my choice. Denorfia would provide better range in RF and, based on scouting reports, his arm isn't anything to sneeze at either.

I just don't think that the offense would suffer that big of a hit if Kearns was replaced by Deno.

Kearns is on pace to hit 30 hrs. and his D is solid.

What caliber of ML-pitching could he fetch, either alone or packaged with someone else?

Edskin
07-04-2006, 12:53 PM
I think if you package Kearns and Lopez, you could land yourself a pretty nice return-- a team like the Astros could be very intruiged by those two.

oneupper
07-04-2006, 12:57 PM
Kearns, Lopez and a catcher are your trading chips.

If used wisely, could bring some good returns...

redsrule2500
07-04-2006, 01:05 PM
I would rather trade Lopez than Kearns, but if both need to go and we get a good return, go for it !!!

Kc61
07-04-2006, 01:08 PM
If you trade Kearns you have a heavily left handed lineup, particularly from the power perspective.

I guess EE is a good righty bat, but Kearns plays an important role in the lineup. Denorfia is not a power guy. Votto hits lefty.

I don't mind trading Kearns in the right deal, but I think it will require some restructuring of the lineup. Another potent righty bat will have to be added someplace.

As for Lopez, you have to consider a deal if enough pitching comes back.

membengal
07-04-2006, 01:48 PM
If you trade Kearns, then Narron can get Castro the start at the new position of ss/rf, and let him patrol 41% of the field Chuck Norris style.

KronoRed
07-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Trade Lopez first.

REDJAKE
07-04-2006, 06:35 PM
Man the guy to trade is Dunn he will bring the most and will miss him the least power is our strohg suit and defense is our weakness,Kearns is one of our best defensive players and i agree bring up Denorfia and improve the defense.Denorfia has been hitting about .340 or more for a year and a half.GO CINCY!!!!

reds44
07-04-2006, 07:51 PM
Kearns, Lopez and a catcher are your trading chips.

If used wisely, could bring some good returns...
What he said.

We would still have a solid offense without Kearns and Felipe, and they would bring some good things in return.

Man the guy to trade is Dunn he will bring the most and will miss him the least power is our strohg suit and defense is our weakness,Kearns is one of our best defensive players and i agree bring up Denorfia and improve the defense.Denorfia has been hitting about .340 or more for a year and a half.GO CINCY!!!!
Dunn's D really hasn't bad that been the last few months.

Newport Red
07-04-2006, 08:46 PM
If you trade Kearns you have a heavily left handed lineup, particularly from the power perspective.

I guess EE is a good righty bat, but Kearns plays an important role in the lineup. Denorfia is not a power guy. Votto hits lefty.

I don't mind trading Kearns in the right deal, but I think it will require some restructuring of the lineup. Another potent righty bat will have to be added someplace.

As for Lopez, you have to consider a deal if enough pitching comes back.

Amusingly, I think Aurilia plays that role. Hitting clean up between the lefthanded Griffey and Dunn.

pedro
07-04-2006, 08:49 PM
Amusingly, I think Aurilia plays that role. Hitting clean up between the lefthanded Griffey and Dunn.

he plays it. But he ain't winning no oscars for his performance.

Newport Red
07-04-2006, 08:55 PM
he plays it. But he ain't winning no oscars for his performance.

Strictly Off Braodway.

Ohioballplayer
07-04-2006, 09:21 PM
I don't mind trading Lopez, but not Kearns, I think Dunn could bring you a better return, it's pretty obvious that Jr. is not going anywhere, so he is our left handed power. With Dunn and FeLo gone, that puts Deno out in left, with canon arms at the corners and totally upgrades the defense in left. Phillips moves to short and Freel plays second. That leaves room for Aurilia and Hatteburg to platoon at 1st, and gives Narron a chance to play Aurilia a little more at 2nd and 3rd, to rest Freel and EE. Just my opinion. Then my lineup looks like this -

Freel 2b
phillips ss
Jr. cf
Kearns rf
Aurilia 1b / Hatteberg
EE 3b
Ross c
Deno lf (just until he gets some quality ab's)

After he gets his quality big league cuts, and if he is hitting well, then put him in the 2 hole and shoot Phillips to #3.

Marc D
07-05-2006, 03:22 PM
I don't mind trading Lopez, but not Kearns, I think Dunn could bring you a better return, it's pretty obvious that Jr. is not going anywhere, so he is our left handed power. With Dunn and FeLo gone, that puts Deno out in left, with canon arms at the corners and totally upgrades the defense in left. Phillips moves to short and Freel plays second. That leaves room for Aurilia and Hatteburg to platoon at 1st, and gives Narron a chance to play Aurilia a little more at 2nd and 3rd, to rest Freel and EE. Just my opinion. Then my lineup looks like this -

Freel 2b
phillips ss
Jr. cf
Kearns rf
Aurilia 1b / Hatteberg
EE 3b
Ross c
Deno lf (just until he gets some quality ab's)

After he gets his quality big league cuts, and if he is hitting well, then put him in the 2 hole and shoot Phillips to #3.

You better get the pitching motherload for Dunn and FeLo because that lineup is going to score a significantly fewer amount of Runs.

TOBTTReds
07-05-2006, 05:14 PM
You better get the pitching motherload for Dunn and FeLo because that lineup is going to score a significantly fewer amount of Runs.

Yup, taking Dunn out of the lineup really makes it a lot weaker. I don't mind trading FeLo, but who plays the open middle position that Phillips doesn't? Not Aurillia, his middle D is bad, Castro shouldn't be an everyday guy. Ray Ray? Bergolla?

Red Leader
07-05-2006, 05:25 PM
Yup, taking Dunn out of the lineup really makes it a lot weaker. I don't mind trading FeLo, but who plays the open middle position that Phillips doesn't? Not Aurillia, his middle D is bad, Castro shouldn't be an everyday guy. Ray Ray? Bergolla?

I'm guessing in this scenario, it would be Freel.

M2
07-05-2006, 05:27 PM

The Yankees have built dynasties around a heavy LH power tilt.

reds44
07-05-2006, 05:29 PM
I honestly feel the offense wouldn't lose that much by trading Kearns and Felipe. It wouldn't be as good, but it wouldn't take a hige dropoff. You can't trade Dunn unless you get a bonifide ace right now. No AAA future pitchers, no relievers (unless it is a guy like Papelbon or Jenks), it has to be a right now ace. Dunn is your best offensive player.

If you trade Kearns and Lopez for pitching your lineup would look something like....

Freel-2B
Phillips-SS
Griffey
Dunn
Edwin- 3B (I hope)
Hatte/RA
Denorfia (don't bat a rookie 8th, you are setting him up to fail)
Ross

is that lineup that much of a dropoff from our current one? I don't think so.

Marc D
07-05-2006, 05:50 PM
I honestly feel the offense wouldn't lose that much by trading Kearns and Felipe. It wouldn't be as good, but it wouldn't take a hige dropoff. You can't trade Dunn unless you get a bonifide ace right now. No AAA future pitchers, no relievers (unless it is a guy like Papelbon or Jenks), it has to be a right now ace. Dunn is your best offensive player.

If you trade Kearns and Lopez for pitching your lineup would look something like....

Freel-2B
Phillips-SS
Griffey
Dunn
Edwin- 3B (I hope)
Hatte/RA
Denorfia (don't bat a rookie 8th, you are setting him up to fail)
Ross

is that lineup that much of a dropoff from our current one? I don't think so.

Get JR to move to RF, Denofria plays CF, add in the assumed pitching upgrade and I like it. Freel and Deno as everyday players is the big gamble there but you have to take some risks.

Its also the move that would make sense moving foreward to 2007. Both AK and FeLo are getting ready to be exponentially more expensive while both still have huge question marks. AK's health and FeLo's D.

I don't know if you can pull one off like this mid season but of all the scenarios I've seen floated its the one I like the best. I have to think those two could fetch quite a nice pitching return.

RedsBaron
07-05-2006, 06:11 PM
The Yankees have built dynasties around a heavy LH power tilt.
Do yo ureally think Ruth and Gehrig were all that good? Heck, didn't Ruth set a strikeout record?;)

KronoRed
07-05-2006, 06:13 PM
I have a hard time seeing Narron starting Deno right off the bat, I'd bet money Q would get just as many starts in such a set up

reds44
07-05-2006, 06:14 PM
I have a hard time seeing Narron starting Deno right off the bat, I'd bet money Q would get just as many starts in such a set up
Nah, if Narron wouldn't start Deno right away you would see Rich at 2nd and Freel in RF.

NJReds
07-07-2006, 12:01 PM
How about calling ol'leather pants in DC and offering Lopez (and assorted minor league players) for Patterson, Vidro and Rauch. Then shift Phillips to SS.