PDA

View Full Version : Vote in last 2 all stars?!

phcaptjim
07-05-2006, 10:19 AM
Well I just got the token MLB email about voting in the last two all stars and Griffey is not a candidate. This stinks! Of course there is another Met (Wagner) and Garciaparra.......I'm fed up with the whole All Star process, game, etc. Griffey should most certainly be on this final ballet and the fact that he is not really burns me up.

redsfan30
07-05-2006, 10:21 AM
I'm as big a Griffey fan as there is on this board, but I don't think he deserves to be on the final balot.

Plus, I doubt he would go if he wasn't voted in as a starter. I'm guessing his pride would make him decline an offer to be a reserve.

Red Leader
07-05-2006, 10:24 AM
Griffey, who missed some games earlier this season, should not be on the final ballot, IMO. All of the players on the final NL ballot are more deserving than Griffey, again my opinion.

I think a little rest would be better for him anyway.

NJReds
07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
If the All-Star Game "really counts" (as Capt. Bud likes to say) then I'm not sure the fans should have any say whatsoever. And if it "really counts" then each team shouldn't have to have a representative -- it should be the best 25 players.

Danny Serafini
07-05-2006, 10:29 AM
The whole 30th man ballot is ridiculous. Just name the team already. You've already given fans the vote for starters, do we really need to drag this out any further?

crazybob60
07-05-2006, 10:54 AM
If the All-Star Game "really counts" (as Capt. Bud likes to say) then I'm not sure the fans should have any say whatsoever. And if it "really counts" then each team shouldn't have to have a representative -- it should be the best 25 players.

If that was the case the manager picked them, you know that it would probably be all White Sox if Guillen was the coach for the AL team...

I can't believe he said he would add Crede as the next available player for a hurt one even if it was a pitcher. Has anybody heard if Schilling or (who was the ommitted guy that had like 10 wins in the AL besides Schilling?) has voiced their opinion about this and all? And Buehrle making it ahead of Schilling and likes...pfft!!!!

dabvu2498
07-05-2006, 11:05 AM
Mussina is the guy you're thinking of that Ozzie omitted...

Schilling was somewhat disappointed, but did not "over" react:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/07/03/steely_eyed_to_starry_eyed/

crazybob60
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
Mussina is the guy you're thinking of that Ozzie omitted...

Schilling was somewhat disappointed, but did not "over" react:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/07/03/steely_eyed_to_starry_eyed/

Yes, that is it...thanks for the link also.
I don't know how I forgot about the Moose, heck he is on all four of my fantasy teams, just a slow and tiring day today I guess.

Joseph
07-05-2006, 11:09 AM
I won't vote in this since there are no additional reds on it.

blumj
07-05-2006, 11:09 AM
Schilling himself voted for Halladay, Santana, Mussina, Kazmir, and Verlander. The 10 game winners who didn't make the roster in the AL are Verlander, Schilling, Beckett, and Garcia, but Verlander is the only one of that group with an ERA below 3.50. You might be thinking of Liriano, who's 9-1 with a ridiculous 1.99 ERA, but he's far behind the others in IP, since he's only started 9 games.

crazybob60
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM
Imagine just what Liriano's record and numbers would be if he would have started from the beginning of the season?

dougdirt
07-05-2006, 11:58 AM
I had to vote for Liriano. There is no reason at all that Ozzie passed on the pitcher who leads his league in ERA by over half a point. If Liriano is not an All-Star, they shouldnt play the game.

Jpup
07-05-2006, 12:01 PM
Imagine just what Liriano's record and numbers would be if he would have started from the beginning of the season?

Probably not all that much better since Minnesota offense just woke up in the last month. He pitched a bit out of the pen and did great at that as well. He's not 1.99 ERA good, but he is as good as any I have seen in a while. I wouldn't yet put him into the elite ranks of Johan Santana, but he's Dontrelle Willis from about 2 years ago. He's only going to get better as long as he isn't overworked and continues to pitch in the same rotation as Santana.

RedsManRick
07-05-2006, 12:03 PM
Junior has an .848 OPS and 50 RBI

Kearns has an .854 OPS and 49 RBI.

Yes, I know there's an AB difference. My point remains...

redram
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
I think Phillips is the one who got screwed here. He deserves to be on this ballot as much as anyone. He is having a GREAT year and without him the Reds would not be anywhere near as good as they are right now

Red Leader
07-05-2006, 12:04 PM
I had to vote for Liriano. There is no reason at all that Ozzie passed on the pitcher who leads his league in ERA by over half a point. If Liriano is not an All-Star, they shouldnt play the game.

Liriano pitches Sunday, so even if he is elected, he'll never throw a pitch in the game.

My opinion, it's a crime that the AL leader in OPS isn't going to the game.

Jpup
07-05-2006, 12:12 PM
I think Phillips is the one who got screwed here. He deserves to be on this ballot as much as anyone. He is having a GREAT year and without him the Reds would not be anywhere near as good as they are right now

he doesn't deserve to be on the team either. The NL got the rosters right except for Turnbow.

RedsManRick
07-05-2006, 12:16 PM
he doesn't deserve to be on the team either. The NL got the rosters right except for Turnbow.

Paul LoDuca says "Hi"

Jpup
07-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Liriano pitches Sunday, so even if he is elected, he'll never throw a pitch in the game.

My opinion, it's a crime that the AL leader in OPS isn't going to the game.

Giambi should be on the team as well, although something could be said for Hafner and Giambi not playing much in the field. Of course David Ortiz doesn't play much at all at 1B. He shouldn't have made the team if you go by the numbers, but he was voted in so it's hard to argue since he does lead the league in RBIs. Most fans think that means a ton.

redram
07-05-2006, 12:19 PM

Well, I disagree. He is having a Great year and has helped his team out tremendusly. Those are two huge things that IMO make a player worthy of being an all star.

Jpup
07-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Paul LoDuca says "Hi"

He was voted in by the fans. There's nothing that can be done about that.

Red Leader
07-05-2006, 12:21 PM
It's not like they showcase their defense at the All-Star game....

You're probably right, though. The only thing Hafner could do would be to pinch hit because of his elbow. Giambi, on the other hand, could play 1B, and play it bad, just like Ortiz.

Jpup
07-05-2006, 12:25 PM
Well, I disagree. He is having a Great year and has helped his team out tremendusly. Those are two huge things that IMO make a player worthy of being an all star.

dont you think that Chase Utley and Dan Uggla have helped their teams and had good years? To put someone on the team, you have to take someone off. There is no way to justify Brandon Phillips making the team. The other two have simply had better years thus far.

Chase Utley 16 HR 49 RBI 8 SB .306/.374/.517/.891
Dan Uggla 13 HR 45 RBI 4 SB .306/.363/.514/.877
Brandon Phillips 7 HR 44 RBI 16 SB .322/.372/.456/.828

redram
07-05-2006, 04:21 PM
Looking at your stats they look very comparable to me. Brandon has a better batting avg, rbi's are close and Phillips started late for the Red's I am not saying the other 2 do not deserve it, however the way the Red's have played so far as a team IMO they deserve more than one player on the team, and the other one on the team that has played the best is Phiilips.
Harang is another that has has a nice year and could have been added. There will always be players left off that deserve to go and for me at least I think Phillips is one this year that could have gone. Again not saying the others don't deserve it but you cannot say Phillips does not. And you can use your own stats to prove that. Those are some pretty nice numbers.
:beerme:

jimbo
07-05-2006, 04:32 PM
dont you think that Chase Utley and Dan Uggla have helped their teams and had good years? To put someone on the team, you have to take someone off. There is no way to justify Brandon Phillips making the team. The other two have simply had better years thus far.

Chase Utley 16 HR 49 RBI 8 SB .306/.374/.517/.891
Dan Uggla 13 HR 45 RBI 4 SB .306/.363/.514/.877
Brandon Phillips 7 HR 44 RBI 16 SB .322/.372/.456/.828

Looking at those stats, I don't see how it is as simple as you are making it. Actually, I am surprised by how close to Utley that Phillips is. And Phillips has done it in less games. Any of the three are deserving, I just think that the Reds, because of where they are in the standings, deserve having a second selection over the Marlins.

tripleaaaron
07-05-2006, 09:43 PM
although I cant argue that sanchez in not having a good year, but why get the nod over phillips, why should the worst team in baseball have 2 All-Star Reps, and the answer that the game is in Pitt. means nothing to me. The Nl Roster is pretty accurate but this little tidbit urks me somewhat