PDA

View Full Version : Baker on the hot seat

Team Clark
07-05-2006, 12:16 PM
From ESPN News Service:

The Dusty Baker era could be entering its final days with the Chicago Cubs.

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry told Chicago reporters Tuesday he would use the four-day All-Star break to decide whether an overhaul, which could include firing manager Baker, is in order.

"I'll spend a lot of time over the break not just with the way the situation is, but with your own players. I'll sit back and reflect on the first half," Hendry told reporters.

"You are getting ready to go into a month where you have to evaluate what you have. You want to give everyone a fair chance to succeed," he said.

Tuesday's 7-2 loss to Houston dropped the Cubs to 23 games under .500 at 30-53. Chicago is just two games out of last place in the NL Central and 15 games behind the first-place Cardinals.

Among the candidates speculated to replace Baker, if he is fired, are former managers Lou Piniella, Tom Kelly, Jimy Williams, Gene Lamont and Braves third base coach Fredi Gonzalez.

Baker, whose contract is set to expire after the season, is 286-283 with the Cubs.

The Cubs were buried by errors last season and finished 79-83. Baker has taken heat for the Cubs' collapse against in the 2003 NLCS -- when they were five outs from the pennant before losing Games 6 and 7 to the Florida Marlins -- and for various comments he has made.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Once again they forget that Piniella is unavailable until after the season.

Lamont...are you serious? Maybe they should do a reference check first.. Why don't they just ask for Lloyd McClendon?

What about fan favorite Mark Grace? He's got to be on this list....:laugh:

Miley is just wasting away in AAA. His current club is probably better than the Cubs (or my team).

You know...Canseco might be a great fit. Just in case any guys are wondering how this HGH stuff works. No better teacher than your manager.

In all seriousness I think Fredi Gonzalez deserves an interview. Throw in Terry Pendleton too.

I wonder why no one ever asks about Terry Kennedy?

westofyou
07-05-2006, 12:18 PM
Miley is just wasting away in AAA.

Now THAT'S funny.

Team Clark
07-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Now THAT'S funny.

I was crying laughing when I wrote it... I almost bolded WASTING...

dabvu2498
07-05-2006, 01:19 PM
I wonder why no one ever asks about Terry Kennedy?
Did you mean Kevin Kennedy?

savafan
07-05-2006, 01:20 PM
The name I'm hearing as the leading candidate to replace Baker is none other than former Indianapolis Indians coach Razor Shines.

Razor Shines
07-05-2006, 01:26 PM
The name I'm hearing as the leading candidate to replace Baker is none other than former Indianapolis Indians coach Razor Shines.
Well, it's something I would consider.

Jpup
07-05-2006, 01:56 PM
Did you mean Kevin Kennedy?

:help: That would be worse than Dusty.

dabvu2498
07-05-2006, 02:00 PM
:help: That would be worse than Dusty.
He's got a .531 winning percentage as a Major League manager -- he might not be so bad.

Matt700wlw
07-05-2006, 02:04 PM
Getting Dusty out of Chicago would be a bad idea.

:)

Jpup
07-05-2006, 02:05 PM
He's got a .531 winning percentage as a Major League manager -- he might not be so bad.

Yeah, well that's what they said about Narron.

dabvu2498
07-05-2006, 02:06 PM
Yeah, well that's what they said about Narron.
He actually had a .453 winning %

Jpup
07-05-2006, 02:09 PM
I think Kennedy would be a good fit in Chicago. :D

KronoRed
07-05-2006, 02:22 PM
Aww bad news, we need Baker to remain in Chicago

crazybob60
07-05-2006, 02:23 PM
Tom Kelly, Gene LaMont, Jimy Williams...surprised they didn't throw out old Giants skipper Roger Craig as well...

Team Clark
07-06-2006, 02:29 AM

I was actually talking about Terry Kennedy, the Surf Dawgs manager. However, Kevin Kennedy wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 02:57 AM
I was actually talking about Terry Kennedy, the Surf Dawgs manager. However, Kevin Kennedy wouldn't be a bad choice at all.

:help:

Benny-Distefano
07-06-2006, 10:24 AM
"The Dusty Baker era could be entering its final days with the Chicago Cubs."

Even though they are division rivals and I know he is a terrible manager... I'm glad to hear it. I remember Baker's racist comments quite well, and I wish him nothing but what he deserves.

redsfan30
07-06-2006, 10:30 AM
Anything that sheds a bad light on the Cubs is fine with me.

Firing a manager is bad publicity for a team, so I'm all for it.

Team Clark
07-06-2006, 11:12 AM
Anything that sheds a bad light on the Cubs is fine with me.

Firing a manager is bad publicity for a team, so I'm all for it.

:laugh: With 'ya on that. One of the reasons I was so satirical in my comments on this post. Give me your tired and poor and make them work for the Cubs....

scuba17
07-06-2006, 03:15 PM
Aww bad news, we need Baker to remain in Chicago

This would be the first year Baker has ever finished behind the Reds since he came to Chicago. Why so eager for him to leave?

M2
07-06-2006, 03:23 PM
Not that I think Dusty deserves much in the way of defense, but Jim Hendry is the GM who squatted out the steaming pile that is the 2006 Cubs. I don't see how he shouldn't be the first head to roll. No manager in the history of baseball could make that team a winner.