PDA

View Full Version : From FoxSports.com

MartyFan
07-05-2006, 01:48 PM
The Reds continue to shop catcher Jason LaRue, and an official with one rival club says the team is willing to pick up part of LaRue's remaining $3.9 million salary this season and $5.2 million salary next season. Good luck: LaRue is batting just .178 in reduced playing time, and most contenders are set at catcher. Rival clubs continue to press the Reds about Triple-A outfielder Chris Denorfia, who boasts a .401 on-base percentage and is 13-for-14 in stlen-base attempts ...

The Angels are looking for a big HR bat to put with Vlad...would they have any pitching that would justify us sending them Dunn?

smith288
07-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Trading Denorfia would be the single most worstest thing that anyone has ever done in the history of the world and universe.

Red Leader
07-05-2006, 01:50 PM
Who do the Diamondbacks have behind Johnny Estrada? I hear they are putting Miguel Batista on the block and he would help the Reds quite a bit either in the rotation, or as a setup man / closer.

jimbo
07-05-2006, 01:50 PM
I don't know, of the three outfielders I think Dunn is the one you keep. He just has too much more of an upside than the other two. Kearns would be the one I would shop.

Red Leader
07-05-2006, 01:52 PM
The Diamondbacks have Chris Snyder behind Estrada.

They also just sent Valverde (who has been awful) to AAA. He should come cheap, although with the way he's been pitching, you'd be taking a big chance on him.

Matt700wlw
07-05-2006, 01:53 PM
Trading Denorfia would be the single most worstest thing that anyone has ever done in the history of the world and universe.

I don't see it happening. Wayne Krivsky is a huge Denorfia fan. He wants him up here....but as a full time player.

Somebody's going to go.

cincy jacket
07-05-2006, 01:54 PM

If you thought the Curse of the Bambino was bad in Boston; wait until you see the "Curse of Denorfia" . If we were to get rid of him, we might never sniff the playoffs in my lifetime again.

KoryMac5
07-05-2006, 01:57 PM
Rival teams continue to press about Denorfia translates to rival teams continue to be turned down by Wayne K. That would lead me to believe one of our three starters Kearns, Griffey, and Dunn will soon be traded to open up a spot.

crazybob60
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM

It might be bad to trade him but the worst ever....eh, I don't know if I would go that far, down the road we might say that but remember all of the previous trades the reds have gotten burnt on.

reds44
07-05-2006, 01:58 PM
Trade Kearns, keep Denorfia.

NewEraReds
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
I don't know, of the three outfielders I think Dunn is the one you keep. He just has too much more of an upside than the other two. Kearns would be the one I would shop.
kearns is the last player on the team i would trade. dunn being first do to what i think his potential is and what he would bring back. id move dunn and put deno in left. there is NO way i would move kearns

NewEraReds
07-05-2006, 02:25 PM
Trade Kearns, keep Denorfia.
yea, who wants a 280 hitter who hits 30 homers and plays solid def. id much rather have a player in aaa with no power and isnt proven in the bigs:bang:

Krusty
07-05-2006, 02:35 PM
How about Dunn to the Angels for RHPs Ervin Santana and Brenden Donnelly?

Heath
07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
How about Kearns to the Angels for Santana and Donnelly.

The Angels are in love with Carl Crawford's speed, not his stats.

jimbo
07-05-2006, 02:39 PM
kearns is the last player on the team i would trade. dunn being first do to what i think his potential is and what he would bring back. id move dunn and put deno in left. there is NO way i would move kearns

Well, I just disagree. Kearns would be one of the first I would trade. Denorfia would easily slip into that spot and put up similar numbers. Maybe not quite the power numbers, but that isn't what this team needs. Denorfia is a more disciplined hitter in my opinion. Finding a guy like Dunn who will get you 40+ HRS, 100+ RBIs, and 100+ Runs scored on a yearly basis is very hard to find.

dabvu2498
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
an official with one rival club says the team is willing to pick up part of LaRue's remaining $3.9 million salary this season and $5.2 million salary next season
Amazing!

smith288
07-05-2006, 02:40 PM
It might be bad to trade him but the worst ever....eh, I don't know if I would go that far, down the road we might say that but remember all of the previous trades the reds have gotten burnt on.
apparently my sarcasm didnt seep through that post... I thought the usage of "worstest" would give it away. ;)

OldXOhio
07-05-2006, 02:41 PM
yea, who wants a 280 hitter who hits 30 homers and plays solid def. id much rather have a player in aaa with no power and isnt proven in the bigs:bang:

If said .280/30 guy brings more value in return, then yes, i'd rather give the AAA guy the chance.

OldXOhio
07-05-2006, 02:42 PM
apparently my sarcasm didnt seep through that post... I thought the usage of "worstest" would give it away. ;)

seemed pretty evident to me, but try adding "mostest" to the mix next time.

reds44
07-05-2006, 02:43 PM
Because you have to give up something of value to get something of value. Kearns and/or Lopez are the guys I would be looking to deal.

MartyFan
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I don't see it happening. Wayne Krivsky is a huge Denorfia fan. He wants him up here....but as a full time player.

Somebody's going to go.

I agree...

Razor Shines
07-05-2006, 02:45 PM
I'm confused what's wrong with wortest? Doesn't that mean the same as baddest?

Red Leader
07-05-2006, 02:46 PM
I'm confused what's wrong with wortest? Doesn't that mean the same as baddest?

yeah, but worser.

Jpup
07-05-2006, 02:50 PM
The Reds continue to shop catcher Jason LaRue, and an official with one rival club says the team is willing to pick up part of LaRue's remaining $3.9 million salary this season and $5.2 million salary next season. Good luck: LaRue is batting just .178 in reduced playing time, and most contenders are set at catcher. Rival clubs continue to press the Reds about Triple-A outfielder Chris Denorfia, who boasts a .401 on-base percentage and is 13-for-14 in stlen-base attempts ...

The Angels are looking for a big HR bat to put with Vlad...would they have any pitching that would justify us sending them Dunn?

If the Reds can get a good arm for Denorfia, I would deal him in a second. I would just like to know who these other clubs are. If it's Stoneman wanting Denorfia for Jeff Weaver, I'll pass.

pedro
07-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Kearns isn't a 280/30 guy until he does it at least once.

Kearns has never been healthy enough to actually live up to his potential. I'm hoping that changes now but that's also why I'd be willing to trade him too.

UK Reds Fan
07-05-2006, 03:20 PM
Why not just hold Larue if you can't get anything for him this year and just let Valentin go or deal him? Jason hasn't had the best season, but Valentin has tanked nearly as bad this year and doesn't possess half of Jason's career numbers overall.

A two-headed monster of Larue and Ross would do the team much better next year than just giving Larue away only to have Ross/Valentin next year.

KronoRed
07-05-2006, 03:41 PM
The Reds brain trust loves versatility, Ross and LaRue are both right handers, while Val is a switch hitter (who stinks like nothing else from one side)

crazybob60
07-05-2006, 03:41 PM

my day isn't going that well post-wise. I messed up another post similar and totally missed the sarcasm there....maybe I should quit posting for the day or something....no biggie.

UK Reds Fan
07-05-2006, 03:50 PM
The Reds brain trust loves versatility, Ross and LaRue are both right handers, while Val is a switch hitter (who stinks like nothing else from one side)

I think you're right on with why management is leaning the way they are in addition to salary concerns. But Javier is OPS 600 vs. Righties...Larue is identical this year in an injury season with spotty playing time. I think we can assume with more steady PT next year, those numbers would rise and be more productive than what Javier would give us.

I just think it is not necessary to panic and give Larue away all the while paying his salary. We could use Ross/Larue next year and it isn't killing us this year way more than Ross/Valentin.

For some reason, Larue is the lightening rod of attention for his sub-par play but nobody is even paying attention to Valentin's terrible year thus far as well. I'd rather keep Larue around even with a bloated salary as catcher-combo for 1 more year than dump him while paying his salary only to keep Valentin who is really regressing to his career norms.

whodeynati85
07-05-2006, 03:55 PM
Here's how I look at it, if people are asking you about a young player like Denorfia then your gonna get a better return then the Reds asking people what they can get for Dunn or Kearns. You could probably get a better player for Dunn but I would just let teams bid for Denorfia and get a pitcher or two for him.

Jpup
07-05-2006, 04:00 PM
Here's how I look at it, if people are asking you about a young player like Denorfia then your gonna get a better return then the Reds asking people what they can get for Dunn or Kearns. You could probably get a better player for Dunn but I would just let teams bid for Denorfia and get a pitcher or two for him.

I think the want list for other teams would be Dunn, Kearns, and then Denorfia. I would imagine that Krivsky isn't too high on trading the best player on the team and the best defender in the outfield.

red-in-la
07-05-2006, 04:10 PM
seemed pretty evident to me, but try adding "mostest" to the mix next time.

mo-beta'

nmculbreth
07-05-2006, 04:21 PM
How about Dunn to the Angels for RHPs Ervin Santana and Brenden Donnelly?

I like the idea of a Dunn for Ervin Santana deal but I'd prefer to replace Donnelly with a prospect. I'd really like to try to get Eric Aybar and Santana but I'm not sure the Angels would be willing to give up both.

jimbo
07-05-2006, 04:53 PM
For some reason, Larue is the lightening rod of attention for his sub-par play but nobody is even paying attention to Valentin's terrible year thus far as well.

I think the reason for this seems to be the difference in attitudes. When Valentin discusses the situation to the media, he is upbeat and positive. All LaRue talks about is how he should be the starting catcher, that and the pissed off look he always has on his face. I admire how he has the desire to play, but what's best for the team comes first.

Steve4192
07-05-2006, 06:37 PM
yea, who wants a 280 hitter who hits 30 homers
When was the last time Kearns qualified for a batting title or even managed to post a modest 20 HR total?

The answer you are looking for is ... never.

Kearns is a career 267 hitter who has never posted more than 18 HR is a major league season. Sure, he is capable of doing more, but the question is ... can he do it consistently or will he be an injury prone underachiever for most of his career? I like Kearns, and think he has a world of potential, but I have serious doubts he will ever consistently reach that potential. Sure, he'll put up some great seasons here and there, but I fear that those great seasons will only happen along once every three or four years.

Considering his price tag is about to get pretty steep, I'd definitely move Austin in a trade if he could fetch the right kind of return.

Redhook
07-05-2006, 06:52 PM
When was the last time Kearns even qualified for a batting title or even managed to post a modest 20 HR total?

The answer you are looking for is ... never.

Kearns is a career 267 hitter who has never posted more than 18 HR is a major league season. Sure, he is capable of doing more, but the question is ... can he do it consistently or will he be an injury prone underachiever for most of his career? I like Kearns, and think he has a world of potential, but I have serious doubts he will ever consistently reach that potential. Sure, he'll put up some great seasons here and there, but I fear that those great seasons will only happen along once every three or four years.

Considering his price tag is about to get pretty steep, I'd definitely move Austin in a trade if he could fetch the right kind of return.

Well said. I'd sell high on Kearns right now. He's having a good season, not great, but I think his value is pretty high right now, atleast higher than it's been for quite awhile. He should be able to bring in a good arm or two. Plus, he's turning into a poor man's Adam Dunn. He's striking out at a ridiculous rate right now without the power and many less walks. While I don't think Denorfia is better than Kearns right now, I think he could be better suited for this team by the style of his play.

Also, unless we get a stud pitcher in return, Dunn should stay here and bat ahead of Griffey ;) .

redsfan4445
07-05-2006, 08:16 PM

Somebody's going to go.

to me the only way he comes up is 1) Dunn is moved to 1st and Denorfia plays LF, or 2) one of the outfielders is traded..

butlerbulldogs
07-06-2006, 12:12 AM
time to get rid of dunn or kearns, b/c deno is ready, Jay Bruce will be ready in two years, and we drafted an OF in the top 10 of this years draft...Votto should be ready for first in the next two years too

Newman4
07-06-2006, 08:47 AM
Anyone is available for the right price. Deciding what is the right price is what Kriv gets paid the big bucks for and what makes or breaks him. That being said, after last night the 'right price' in part is pretty well-defined.

schroomytunes
07-06-2006, 08:54 AM
The guys that need to be traded are, and this should be it:

Hatteberg
Aurilia
Larue
Valentin
Griffey
Milton
Claussen
and the bullpen!

Everyone else should be a part of this teams future, get what you can from the above guys and build for the future and fill in with free agents.