PDA

View Full Version : Squeeze play??

mbgrayson
07-05-2006, 11:07 PM
Narron called for a one out suicide squeeze play, and LaRue misses the pitch. Kearns out, dead to rights....

Why call for squeeze with one out, the team rallying, and the go-ahead run 90 feet away? Killed the rally.... Let LaRue hit away! (Of course he ended up striking out...lol)

Mike

Razor Shines
07-05-2006, 11:16 PM
I don't really have a problem with it. It should have worked, the pitch was almost a strike, Larue has to get that one down or atleast make contact. Completely Larue's fault.

jimbo
07-05-2006, 11:17 PM
People have been screaming for Narron to call a squeeze all year. When he does, everyone hammers him for calling it because it didn't work.

As bad as LaRue has been hitting the ball and coming right out of a pitching change, it was the ideal time.

gilpdawg
07-05-2006, 11:21 PM
Yeah, completely LaRue's fault. A major league player has got to get that bunt down. That's a terrible job.

kaldaniels
07-05-2006, 11:24 PM
Narron called for a one out suicide squeeze play, and LaRue misses the pitch. Kearns out, dead to rights....

Why call for squeeze with one out, the team rallying, and the go-ahead run 90 feet away? Killed the rally.... Let LaRue hit away! (Of course he ended up striking out...lol)

Mike

You've got to be kidding...great call...poor execution. Simple. We'd be in the lead know thanks to that call if LaRue could make contact with a fastball.

Benny-Distefano
07-05-2006, 11:26 PM
A squeeze play with Slow-poke Kearnsie and your slumping catcher is batting?!?!

:bang: :angry: :bang:

killuminati35
07-05-2006, 11:29 PM
That's one of the only things I like watching the Cardinals do is use the squeeze play. It's a great play, all you have to do is make contact and it is a run, it doesn't matter how slow the runner on third is.

Razor Shines

I think that was one of the reasons to do it. Even I thought he could get a bunt down.

gilpdawg
On a squeeze, the speed of the runner on third is irrelevant. He's gonna score if contact is made, even if it's Sean Casey. I don't give a crap how much your catcher is "slumping" he still should be able to put down a bunt. Freaking Aaron Harang can put down a bunt, but LaRue can't? Gimme a break.

jimbo
07-05-2006, 11:30 PM

A speedy runner at third is not a requirement in a squeeze if it is executed properly. And squeeze bunting a slumping hitter seems to be the perfect time in my opinion. It was a excellent call at just the right time......just not executed by LaRue.

gilpdawg
07-05-2006, 11:32 PM
This thread just proves how many different ways there are to analyze this game, and nobody is really wrong on either side in this case. Baseball's a funny game.

Redhook
07-05-2006, 11:32 PM
I don't really have a problem with it. It should have worked, the pitch was almost a strike, Larue has to get that one down or atleast make contact. Completely Larue's fault.

How could it be LaRue's fault? He did exactly what he has been doing all year long. Larue is one of the worst contact hitters I've ever seen. Bunting is not that hard, but for someone like LaRue it's very challenging, to say the least. I blame Narron.

Razor Shines
07-05-2006, 11:33 PM
How could it be LaRue's fault? He did exactly what he has been doing all year long. Larue is one of the worst contact hitters I've ever seen. Bunting is not that hard, but for someone like LaRue it's very challenging, to say the least. I blame Narron.
I hope that was riddled with sarcasm.

redsfan30
07-05-2006, 11:34 PM
Yes, it was horrible execution, but I don't think that was the right time/batter/baserunner to make a call like that.

Benny-Distefano
07-05-2006, 11:36 PM
SO the general consensus here is that its either LARues fault for suking so bad, or it's Narron's fault for not knowing that LaRue suks.

Details, yes, but I see a common theme.

jimbo
07-05-2006, 11:38 PM
Yes, it was horrible execution, but I don't think that was the right time/batter/baserunner to make a call like that.

The beauty of the squeeze play is that it is something that every batter and runner on the team can perform. It doesn't require speed and bunting is a basic fundamental that every player on the team should be able to do.

And I thought it was a perfect time.

Redhook
07-05-2006, 11:39 PM
I hope that was riddled with sarcasm.

It was. :D

Can't we all just get along and blame both of them?

mbgrayson
07-06-2006, 12:11 AM
Checking LaRue's stats, he has 12 sacrifise bunts over the last 5 years. One already this year.

I also agree that it was porrly executed, but I still don't think it was a good call. Any bunt in the air that is caught is a double play, and a missed bunt costs you a runner at third. Also, a runner on third with one out can score many ways...sac fly, passed ball etc.

RedsFanInMD
07-06-2006, 12:53 PM
When it's all said and done, LaRue's inability to execute in this situation as well as in extra innings when Kearns was also standing on 3rd base with fewer than 2 outs, were every much to blame for the loss as was the BP.

registerthis
07-06-2006, 12:55 PM
Loved the call, hated the execution.

redsfanmia
07-06-2006, 04:53 PM
LaRue was to blame and just added yet another nail in his coffin. Honestly he should not have even been playing.

toledodan
07-06-2006, 04:58 PM
Loved the call, hated the execution.

i agree!

toledodan
07-06-2006, 05:00 PM
LaRue was to blame and just added yet another nail in his coffin. Honestly he should not have even been playing.

ding! ding! ding! we have a winner folks!:D

Highlifeman21
07-06-2006, 05:45 PM

I couldn't agree more. LaRue has shown that he's for whatever reason on the decline this year, and I can't imagine a guy who plays so infrequently will be able to lay down a solid bunt on command.

Gotta give credit to Kearns for the execution, he did his part, too bad LaRue couldn't even foul the damn thing off. It's one thing to foul off a bunt, it's something completely different to just whiff.

Way to go LaRue, we can't get you out of town fast enough for my money. You had your trucker hat giveaway night, time to send you packing for some pitching.