PDA

View Full Version : Shackelford 'detained' and sent down

Pages : 1 [2]

vaticanplum
07-07-2006, 05:22 PM
I'll just repeat basically what I said before: if she said no anytime before the fact and he had sex with her, then he committed a crime, no matter what indications she gave before. If that's the case -- and again, we still don't know what the case was -- but if it the case, she is guilty of poor judgment, but he is guilty of a crime. This is date rape 101 here, people.

And "blackmail"?! I don't believe she can consider any kind of civil suit until he's been tried for the crime itself. This is still a criminal case.

I truly hope no man I know can imagine persisting with something like that after a woman said no, no matter how far along the situation was, if she said no at any time before the act itself. Put yourself in that situation. Could you really do something like that and feel good about it afterwards? The law says you can't, and the law is correct.

CougarQuest
07-07-2006, 08:32 PM
Marty and Hal opined that his career with the Reds is probably through, and they both lamented the fact that this was because of "allegations" that appear to be baseless.
I wonder if this isn't the first time the Reds haven't heard a similar complaint against him.

CougarQuest
07-07-2006, 08:52 PM
Interesting:

from Cincinnati Enquirer
"Reliever Brian Shackelford's demotion to Louisville was planned before his arrest in Milwaukee on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault."

Chip R
07-08-2006, 12:57 AM
Interesting:

from Cincinnati Enquirer
"Reliever Brian Shackelford's demotion to Louisville was planned before his arrest in Milwaukee on suspicion of third-degree sexual assault."

That seems plausable since it looks like Wayne had a trade for Guardado all set to happen. If Shack had not been arrested, he would have been sent down on Friday instead of Thursday.

REDREAD
07-08-2006, 10:09 AM
I'll just repeat basically what I said before: if she said no anytime before the fact and he had sex with her, then he committed a crime, no matter what indications she gave before.

And I totally agree with you here.

And "blackmail"?! I don't believe she can consider any kind of civil suit until he's been tried for the crime itself. This is still a criminal case.

I meant that it's possible that she had sex with him willingly, and then after the fact either got mad at him or threatened to file charges if he didn't give her money, be her boyfriend, or whatever. Of course, I don't know. But it is possible. I don't like the fact that many people are already presuming Shack to be guilty. It's even possible she willingly did have sex and then later regreted it (when he blew her off, or maybe he was rude after the encounter), and is simply pressing charges for revenge. It's entirely possible that Shack did nothing wrong, but even if the court finds him innocent, his repuation is going to be tarnished, and possibly his career hurt.

dabvu2498
07-08-2006, 09:29 PM
I don't believe she can consider any kind of civil suit until he's been tried for the crime itself.
OJ Simpson would disagree.

HotCorner
07-10-2006, 09:53 AM
I heard Richard Skinner (1530 Homer) say that apparently the woman was upset that Shack did not respond to her text messages the next day and figured she had been used. Apparently she forgot/did not know that he had a game the next afternoon.

registerthis
07-10-2006, 09:58 AM
OJ Simpson would disagree.

OJ was "tried" for his crime...well, kind of...

dabvu2498
07-10-2006, 10:07 AM
OJ was "tried" for his crime...well, kind of...
Tried and found innocent... and still got stroked in civil court.

registerthis
07-10-2006, 10:23 AM

Responsible but not guilty.

REDREAD
07-10-2006, 11:23 AM
I heard Richard Skinner (1530 Homer) say that apparently the woman was upset that Shack did not respond to her text messages the next day and figured she had been used. Apparently she forgot/did not know that he had a game the next afternoon.

I figured something like that happened (if that is true). It just makes a whole lot more sense. She admits to willingly going to his room, getting undressed, and "enjoying it at first".. Seems like she was very willing.

Yachtzee
07-10-2006, 03:49 PM

Different burden of proof.

dabvu2498
07-10-2006, 04:41 PM
Different burden of proof.
Understood... that's why I only take criminal defendants and civil plaintiffs.

That and I like money.