PDA

View Full Version : Shawn Chacon?

Jpup
07-06-2006, 01:00 PM
Anyone interested in Shawn Chacon as a cheap pickup? The word from New York is that he's on the way to be DFA'd by the Yankees. He has be horrible this year for them, but did pitch well last year.

any takers?

Joseph
07-06-2006, 01:02 PM
I really dislike that we are in such shambles with our pitching that we have to ask things like this everytime a pitcher is not good enough for another team.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
I really dislike that we are in such shambles with our pitching that we have to ask things like this everytime a pitcher is not good enough for another team.

yeah, me too. the problem is that it seems like it's the only route that the front office takes to acquiring players.

CTA513
07-06-2006, 01:04 PM
Didnt he pitch out of the bullpen with the Rockies?

Jpup
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
Didnt he pitch out of the bullpen with the Rockies?

back and forth. He had 35 saves(7.11 ERA) in 2004 for the Rockies then went back to starting in 2005 before being trading to the Yankees.

I don't know if I would take a chance on him, but I wonder if he could be any worse. He was actually good in 2005.

NJReds
07-06-2006, 01:05 PM
He'll definitely get a shot somewhere if he is DFA'd. But based on his performance this year, I see him only as bullpen help.

CTA513
07-06-2006, 01:16 PM
If you can get him cheap he could replace Mays in the rotation or pitch out of the bullpen. He hasnt been pitching good this year, so if you have to give up alot its not worth it. Hes another guy that could be good if he didnt walk so many batters.

Jpup
07-06-2006, 01:18 PM
If you can get him cheap he could replace Mays in the rotation or pitch out of the bullpen. He hasnt been pitching good this year, so if you have to give up alot its not worth it. Hes another guy that could be good if he didnt walk so many batters.

he doesn't strike out many either. probably not a good sign.

zombie-a-go-go
07-06-2006, 01:19 PM
These threads make me weep.

M2
07-06-2006, 01:24 PM

That sums it up for me.

savafan
07-06-2006, 01:30 PM
Right now, I'd take any other pitcher to replace Joe Mays

IslandRed
07-06-2006, 01:46 PM

Me, too. But we live in a pitching-starved universe where the Red Sox gave starts to two different guys plucked off DFA Island, and the NL-dominating Mets sent Jose Lima to the mound. On purpose.

I'd prefer getting genuinely good pitchers, but in a pinch, if the guy being set out on someone else's curb is better than what we have...

The_jbh
07-06-2006, 01:52 PM
honestly ne thing would be better for our pen

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2006, 02:57 PM
Apparently, the first question you should ask is, "Did he ever pitch for the Twins?" If the answer is yes, then there's a 95% chance Krivsky will acquire him.

KronoRed
07-06-2006, 03:48 PM
What's Jack Morris doing these days? ;)

Johnny Footstool
07-06-2006, 04:49 PM
What's Jack Morris doing these days? ;)

Stretching and starting workouts, I assume. Ditto for Frank Viola, Juan Beringuer, and Bert Blyleven.

M2
07-06-2006, 05:07 PM
Hello, I'd like to speak to Todd Ritchie ...

backbencher
07-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Me, too. But we live in a pitching-starved universe where the Red Sox gave starts to two different guys plucked off DFA Island, and the NL-dominating Mets sent Jose Lima to the mound. On purpose.

I'd prefer getting genuinely good pitchers, but in a pinch, if the guy being set out on someone else's curb is better than what we have...

This is an excellent observation. Pitching always is in high demand, but the April - June market this year may be as tight as it ever has been.

dsmith421
07-06-2006, 07:03 PM
This is an excellent observation. Pitching always is in high demand, but the April - June market this year may be as tight as it ever has been.

I like Chacon, I thought we should have dealt for him last year before the Yankees jumped in, and I would be in favor of acquiring him now. Cheap arm with experience starting and relieving.

And it gets rid of Mays. I'm double in favor of it now.

Phhhl
07-06-2006, 07:12 PM
That would be a good acquisition for the Reds. A very good one. Consequently, the Cardinals will probably jump all over it.

NJReds
07-07-2006, 11:48 AM
Yanks move Chacon to Bullpen ... Kris Wilson will take his next start (Kris who?)

Wilson to take Chacon's turn

BY SAM BORDEN
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

CLEVELAND - The Yankees are desperately searching for the unexpected wizardry that Shawn Chacon and Aaron Small provided last season, and former Royals righthander Kris Wilson is their latest attempt at finding it.
Joe Torre announced yesterday that Wilson will start Sunday's game against the Devil Rays, taking the struggling Chacon's spot in the rotation. The Yanks had essentially been choosing between Wilson or long reliever Ron Villone for that assignment and opted for Wilson after he pitched two perfect innings out of the bullpen in his Yankee debut Wednesday night.

"Two days ago, I was planning on starting in Indianapolis for the Columbus Clippers," Wilson said. "I didn't expect it by any means. It's a nice surprise."

Chacon will be the Yanks' long reliever, for now. The Yankees have held internal discussions about what to do with Chacon and have considered designating him for assignment, which means that any other team could claim him off waivers. If he cleared waivers, he could be sent to the minor leagues.

Torre would not commit to a plan after the All-Star break, but if Chacon isn't going to be part of the starting rotation it's unlikely the Yanks would keep him on the roster simply to be a long man. If Wilson pitches well Sunday, he figures to get another turn, meaning Chacon's status could be even more tenuous.

"We get the five best we can and send them out there," Torre said. "My guess is Sunday could make a decision on our part who will be the five to start the second half."

Wilson has pitched 91 games in the majors (90 of which were for the Royals from 2000-03) and spent last year in Columbus before having surgery to remove bone chips from his elbow. He won his last three starts with the Clippers and arrived here Wednesday.

Yesterday, he was called into Torre's office and told he'd be starting in Tampa - his hometown.

"I guess I'm a lot more well-known now than two days ago, judging by all the phone calls" from family and friends, he said. "I've always liked starting better than relieving."

So, too, does Chacon. The righthander took the news well and said that while he wasn't expecting a demotion, he wasn't necessarily surprised either. After helping save the Yanks last year, Chacon has been erratic and hasn't won a game since May 6.

"It's disappointing but I understand completely," Chacon said. "I know how it works around here. It's not a last-place team where you just run a guy out there."

Chacon added that, "I'm a starting pitcher. I'm not a reliever. I understand what this is about. In no way do I feel like this is permanent."

Hooligan
07-07-2006, 12:32 PM
The Reds will need to trade from there big league roster (Kearns/Dunn, LaRue, Lopez, Valentin, Aurilia) to get the necassary bullpen help to make a run at the playoffs.

registerthis
07-07-2006, 12:45 PM
Well now you have the Yankees running ex-Royals pitchers out to their mound.

I suddenly don't feel quite so bad.

Spitball
07-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Okay, this is from The New York Post so...for what it's worth.

CHACON GOING?

Shawn Chacon went from the Yankees' rotation to the bullpen yesterday. Now there is a chance he could be headed to Seattle.

According to several industry sources there is a possibility the Yankees will send the slumping Chacon to the Mariners for right-hander Joel Pineiro. The sources explained teams know Chacon is available and the Mariners have a scout watching the Yankees at Jacobs Field.

Brian Cashman refused to get into specifics about what deals he can or can't make.

"I am making calls but there is nothing close," the GM said yesterday.

Seattle was 42-44 and three games out of first in the AL West going into last night's action. Yesterday, they sent lefty reliever Eddie Guardado to the Reds and many believe there are more moves to come although the pitcher that many clubs want, Gil Meche, isn't available now.

Swapping Chacon for Pineiro would be a deal involving two struggling right-handers.

Chacon, 28, is 4-3 with a 6.71 ERA and has given up 66 hits in 532/3 innings. He lost his spot in the rotation for Sunday when the Yankees will start Kris Wilson against the Devil Rays in St. Petersburg.

Pineiro, 27, is 6-7 with a 5.86 ERA. In his last four outings he has given up 25 hits and 14 earned runs in 151/3 frames.

His next scheduled start is Sunday.

I'd rather have Pineiro.